Genny Light - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genny Light
No picture uploaded.
awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Light Lager |  3.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genny Light Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Live Review, 24 oz can from the corner gas. I'm not putting it in a glass because I more or less know what this would look like.

S- I'm sniffing it from the can, but not getting much of anything. It doesn't smell bad. In fact, it doesn't taste like anything.

T- It tastes about the same as it smells. Almost no flavor except a light (very light) "beer" flavor. Some odd sourness on the finish. Watery, and no corny adjunct flavor, which is what I expected. It's fizzy and cold and I'd love this in the summer on the lawnmower. Otherwise it's not really for me.

O- I'll try it again when on an extreme budget. It's between a dollar and 1.25 for a 24 oz, or 13.50 for a 30 rack, partially because it's the local poison for me. Definitely will take this over a regular Genny too, it has less of that flavor. (Usually not a good thing, but you see what I mean.)

2.51/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

24oz can poured into a tulip. Canned July 24th 2013.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a dense clean white head. Average amount of visible carbonation. Leaves a decent lacing behind.

S: Light malting, has the american adjust lager sweetness to it but not very strong.

T: Hardly has any flavor. Hints of malts as well as water. If you can taste the water I'm not sure thats a good beer. Bit of sweetness to it.

M: Light body, with a lot of carbonation. Supposed to be an easy drinker and I think it comes through in that regard.

Overall tough to sit down and rate a style like this. With such a light body and alcohol content the flavors are subtle.

2.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As light beers go, this was unoffensive, which is often about all one can hope for. Pale, pale straw. A bit of corn in the aroma. Thin, perhaps just a touch dry, with light, sweet corn adjunct flavors. Very smooth, with no metallic notes. Borders on flavorless, but what flavor one can find is acceptable.

2.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For a light beer this is acceptable plus. Yes the colour and body are weak and the taste falls short, but is acceptable as a light.
It is very well balanced and there is a place for this brew in the beer world...not in my fridge just yet, but somewhere.

2.55/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - pale straw, soda like fizzy white cap that hangs around for a minute. A strand of lace, maybe two. Yeah, two.

Aroma - minor grainy aroma, almost nothing to see or sniff here.

Taste - lightly sweet grain, typical faded grain flavor. Pretty much as expected, I iced this one down pretty good, the flavors are straightforward and expected.

Mouthfeel - crisp, thin, as a ight beer should be.

Drinkability - easy to knock back. Nothing memorable except the price. $2.99 a sixer of pint cans for a standard budget lawnmower beer works for me.

2.59/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I drank a couple of these in a place where I shouldnt've been, served by a waitress who called me 'honey' and 'sweetheart'. I thought that I was going to get a Genny Cream Ale, but I went with it. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- So light in yellow-straw color that I thought it had a hint of greenish hue. It did pour a decent head and even left some spotty lacing.

S- Clean the litter box, please!

T- Better than the smell. Some corn sweetness, a touch of maltiness (I think).

M- Quite light with a unpleasantly sour finish.

O- I've had worse, so I may even cross paths with this again. What the heck.

2.6/5  rDev +7%

While I'm a big local brew supporter, an average brew is an average brew. Rather than comparing this to "beer", I try to compare it to other "light" macrobrews.

The beer had a suprisingly nice golden yellow color in the glass, with about a half inch of head that disappeared very quickly. During the drink, it left very very little lacing. The smell is a killer, slightly reminds me of a urinal. The taste, while crappy when comparing to a non light beer, is still better than just about all other macro lights. There is a strong corn and vegetable taste, but nothing too overpowering. It starts out strong then leaves a subpar grainy aftertaste on the pallette. The mouthfeel is flat, but predictable as there are virtually no bubbles in the glass after the first minute or so. As far as drinkability goes, I'd save it for the hot summer days, the ballpark and the cheap 30 pack for the party.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

16 FL. OZ. can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - This gem pours straw yellow and clear. It is topped with two to three inches of white head.

S - I get some grain and boiled greens in the smell.

T - The taste has some metallic and grass flavors. I'm happy that it has taste. Most light beers lack this component.

M - Thin

O - This light beer has more flavor than most macro lagers. Probably one of the more flavorful light beers out there.

2.7/5  rDev +11.1%

24 oz can poured into a pint, finished in the can. This stuff just showed up in Washington state at 7-11 stores so I figured I'd try what I figured was the Keystone of the East for my annual SuperBowl trash-beer consuming ritual.

A- Terrible light yellow color, most akin to urine.

S- Overwhelming aroma of ricey adjunct malting and apple-juice like sugary scents.

T- Adjunct beer taste, but it was not as dry as say a Budlight or Coors light product, had a decent finish. Still had that strange apple like essence in the background. Taste did not deteriorate as it warmed unlike many adjunct beers.

M- As expected of a light beer, highly carbonated and watery.

D- OK actually. I'd take this over any of the "bargain" lights like keystone or busch.

2.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Genny Light has a thick, stark-white head and a clear, bubbly, golden-straw appearance, with splotchy lacing left behind. The aroma is of musty, sour grains, grain husks, and faint grape juice. Taste is of sweet and sour grain, faint grape, and corn meal. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Genny Light finishes decently crisp and refreshing. This is a budget beer, and it presents itself as such.

RJT

2.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev +11.1%

At a wedding it was the night of bad lagers. The had this on tap so with nothing with any flavor in sight I set the task of critically reviewing it while idiots did the chicken dance.

Appearance: Good golden color, with a clean white head that leaves little lacing.

Smell: Urine and grain

Taste: Not as bad as I was expecting, but still not very good. To style though it holds up ok. Has a grainy taste no hops in this beer (surprise) and a rather bland after taste.

Mouthfeel: Slight body not so watery as one would expect.

Drinkability: Beer pong beer only, the dirt from the floor will liven it up.

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

Genny Light from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.