Follow our progress ...

Genesee Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 214 | Ratings: 561
4.9/5  rDev +79.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Looks like Beer, smells like Beer, tastes like very good Beer, feels like brewed grains and carbonation fizz in my mouth. I am not ashamed to say this is my favorite Beer, and I love American Adjunct Lagers. aDjunct Lagers seem to be generally hated by most people on this website. They favor the heavily hopped and flavored micro craft brews. I do not drink only Genesee. I also enjoy Guinness, Wiehenstephaner, Taylor's Landlord Ale, and others. What I do not like is feeling like I have been punched in the mouth with a ton of bitter, skunky hops. I grew up on Genesee. My Dad drank it. So I continued to drink Genesee for many years. I stopped drinking altogether for about ten years and just started up again about three years ago. Today was the first Genesee I had in a very long time. I can not see paying $15.00 a six pack for craft beers that assault my tongue with bitter skunk pee. I paid $13.00 for 30 cans of Genesee. I would pay more because I do enjoy the taste. This is my all time favorite Beer.

4.86/5  rDev +78%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this beer ive drank very many for when getting home liquor store. i very much will enjoy the label it is very simple and not flash colors. taste is excellent and friendship ;) dont be turned off by beer haha. very good reccomend to liquor stores (other than?) have no receiving!

4.54/5  rDev +66.3%

Hi fellow beer lover's !
This beer needs to be judged for what it is. That is an old school American brew that is every bit as good, ( in my opinion better), than it's rivals : Pabst, Miller, Bud or Coor's. Genesee is very pleasant to drink with it's light hoppy taste and great carbonation. This beer pours crystal clear, taste's great for it's style and is a great value at about 13 bucks a case. I have and will continue to choose Genny over other premium beers because It tastes better !
I'm sure most of you know that PBR doesn't even brew their own beer anymore, it's brewed and put in Pabst cans by Miller Brewing Co. ? Genny is still brewed in Rochester NY. in the Genesee - High Falls Brewery.
It's your choice America !
Gotta go,..................... time for a Genny !

4.4/5  rDev +61.2%

Found this at a Local Pizza Carry out joint.. Thought I'd try it..Pours Golden Yellow.. Nice Smell. Easy to drink.. GOOD BEER flavor, Not to strong. Not watery.. Nice Lacing of the foam as I drank it..

A good GREAT tasting simple Lager..

And a Six pack of 16oz Cans was $3.99

If you can get it, TRY it at least ONCE..

4.35/5  rDev +59.3%

I picked up the Heritage 12 Pack today of Genesse today at Portchester Beer Dist. (great Place to go to get Beer) Now the Heritage 12 Pack comes with the Cream Ale and the 12 Horse Ale as well. The Beer is good better than some of the other Adjunct American Lagers and Better than Pabst. It dosen't really have a taste to it but most American Adjunct lagers but its a little bit Sweeter in taste . Overall its worth Trying .

4.2/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer and a good price- harder to find now in Southern Teir NY. Genny Cream is very good too, but can't find it anymore ontap- too bad most people drink tastless beers like bud, and coors- miller- all forigne owned now... Wish more poeple would support American Brewers. Thanks Genny for being in there !

4.18/5  rDev +53.1%

For this style of beer the appearance is slightly darker- still very typical. The smell has some adjucts(corn) but not offensive. The taste is smooth with more character than the average American Lager. Highly drinkable --great smooth taste (crisp/nice carbonation)!!! Can be used to wash down wings during the Super Bowl.

3.99/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

appearance light yellow straw

smell not too much there nothing bad corn lightly hopped

taste clean refreshing as good as any of the macro beers

mouthfeel good carbonation level not heavy or too sweet

at this price point $12.99 for a 30 pack near me
its hard to beat for a watching the game beer.

3.92/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden color with streaming bubbles and two fingers of rocky white head with lots of streaming bubbles.

Smells of barley, malts and a strong white bread smell.

Taste is well balanced beer that tastes of pilsner influences. Taste is somewhere between Miller Genuine Draft and Coors. I do taste some sweetness but not as much as the two mentioned beers.

The mouth feel is bubbly and lively with carbonation. A great wet refreshing feel that finishes real crisp and clean.

Overall I think for those that like the American lagers this is a very good beer and should not be overlooked. The price is hard to beat as well.

3.92/5  rDev +43.6%

Been drinking this swill for years and love it hope it stays arround as long as i do, this beer has a clean crisp taste, holds a good head and most important after pounding genny all nite you wake up with no hangover,so get 30 and go for it your boss will think you had pepsi all nite.

3.88/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

hahahahaha~how all the "Beer Snobs" just LOVE Bashing American adjunct Lagers..lmao,this Beer is awesome,13 bucks for a 30 pack!!! hey I LOVE all types of Beer,Including crazy priced "Craft Beer" [20 bucks a 6er and up] But I am just a Blue collar Working guy,who bust his ass for 15 bucks an hour and for what "Genesee Beer" is,it is TOP NOTCH! smooth,refreshing,these babies slide right down and taste GR8! and are every bit as good as Bud,Miller,Coors, or pretty much ANY American Adjunct Lager...which I Myself enjoy a gr8 Deal,so all you "Lager" Haters can F>>k off and go pay your 10,15,20+ Bucks a 6er for some shit you think is "Amazing"!..however most of you "Snobs" would not know a Decent Beer if it bit your ass off and stole your BMW...why do so many of you Beer Snobs hate American Lagers so much anyway? ....I guess it really does not matter why,because those of us that actually WORK for a living will always,ALWAYS Enjoy an Ice Cold American Lager after a hard days work,and appreciate the price point of a VERY Good Beer,~Beerwolf666*

3.88/5  rDev +42.1%

Around here you either love it or hate it! It pours a nice golden color,with a good amount of head. Full flavor with no bad after taste. Refreshing, but not too light. I would take it over a Bud any day. No rice or other fillers either. 3.99 for a six pack of bottles. You can't go wrong!

3.86/5  rDev +41.4%

I bought a 12 pack of Genny cans today, haven't had any in maybe 30 years. Was pleasantly surprised and wondered why I took so long to come back to our local brewer. Big head, left a little lacing. A slightly sweet taste and smell, and a toasty aftertaste which I had completely forgotten about over the years. Not a lot of carbonation after the pour. Goes good with food, especially with a local delicacy - a Zweigle's white hot. Try it, you might like it.

3.84/5  rDev +40.7%

12oz can purchased at Shaw's in Derry. Pours a crystal-clear light hay-yellow body with a good inch of rim-hugging off-white head that slowly dissipates. Cereal grain dominates the aroma - malt and corn most notably, with just a hint of citrussy grassy hops. Tastes sweet, with cereal grains and cooked corn initially, and a bit more hops than I'm used to getting from the style, expressing themselves mostly as a grassy citrussy presence toward the finish. Finishes clean, as it should for the style. Nothing to complex or profound, but a simple easy drinking macro-style lager that's better than most, and a good quaffable brew for hot summer days like today.

3.82/5  rDev +39.9%

I have only sampled this beer twice (in 1997 on a road trip in Pennsylvania and in 2010, when I bought a 6-pack of 12oz. cans in Maryland). Well, Genesee is an ordinary beer, but it's good. Yes, it has the stereotypical thick, white head, clear, straw color, watery mouth-feel, and crisp finish. I found it to be a tad bit more hopped than others of its ilk, however. All in all, I like this style, and I like this brand. I'd recommend a try. If you like common, American style lagers, you'll probably enjoy this. Genesee Cream Ale (I tried it in Florida in 2009) is also very good.

RJT

3.82/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great little adjunct lager....for an adjunct lager. I'm going to go ahead and rate it within its style because why not. It's very very smooth, inoffensive, and has a supremely pleasant mouthfeel to it while delivering a desirable taste. It's got all the basics. The basics that you'd think are the bare minimum for a beer, but many of the most popular brands seem to almost TRY to sink below that. This, however, is a great go-to inoffensive lager. I can honestly say I enjoyed it. The extremely light colour worried me at first, but the lacing on my glass mug was decent and it had more taste than it looked like it would. I made a good choice by giving this a try.

3.77/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pours straw gold with a solid head. looks great in a pilsner glass.

smell is good for an adjunct lager, not bad at all. very plain.

taste is good, crisp and easy to drink.

for an adjunct lager i love it. very simple. this has been my go-to cheap beer since college

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

Not a bad beer at all. These big dogs are $1.50 at the local gas station. It's not a fancy brew, but as low end lagers goes, I am quite fond. It's crisp, with a slight frutiness and subtle crackery sweetness. Nil bitterness. No hops. It's the kind of beer you drink when you just want a plain ol beer. Style wise, when compared to it's peers, it's certainly the best among them. I'll take this any day if my options are Bud, Miller or Coors.

3.7/5  rDev +35.5%

Given the fact of what expenses are today, I`ve been looking for a "Go To Beer" Well, I`ve found it!! For the longest time I`ve shyed away from Genesee beer. Thats because the price is so ridiculosy inexpensive, I figured it must be awful! Man was I wrong!! Theres no way Im going to compare this to a craft beer, as that would not be the fair thing to do. Compared to BMC, I think this beer has got it all over those boys easily!

Drank it straight from the can, no metalic taste whatsoever. There is no aroma to this beer, But hell that sure beats being welcomed by the "Skunk"!

Tastes like an AAL, but much better. Its not at all overly sweet, And has a bit of hops notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing, But drink it ice cold. As it warms up you will get the adjuncts gracing your palate.

Overall Im very pleased, and find this a very easy beer to drink! No bad aftertaste even after having several of them. If your`e on a tight budget, and cant always afford a craft beer, definitely give Genesee beer a go!! You just cant go wrong for 13.99 for a 30 pack!!

3.7/5  rDev +35.5%

Haven't had this in years...prob. like 6 or so, and it's MUCH better than I remember.

Why pour this? I didn't. Drank from the can in the backyard, after mowin'...and truly enjoyed it. Remarkably smooth..no bite whatsoever, unlike the Cream Ale. (Which I DO like, but not as well) Went down like water...yet had enough flavor, although light, to know you're drinking an American Lager.

I'd support this beer, especially for the cheap price tag, but also because they are not one of the "Big Three"...and don't use all their money for advertising. Genny is a classic that I would highly recommend if you like this style...and I do. It wasn't even ice cold when I drank a couple today, (I couldn't wait any longer!) and it STILL was very smooth and yummy. Finish was oh-so CLEAN...and left NO aftertaste at all. Very clean and fresh beer. Props to High Falls for this American classic! I hope it's around forever, and I'm really glad I re-discovered it!! I think it's gonna be my new "everyday" brew! If you're a Bud or Miller regular...give this a try and tell me honestly that this isn't just as good...or BETTER! (Better, in my opinion.) Cheers, my friends.

3.68/5  rDev +34.8%

Poured form a 12 oz. twist off bottle into a pint glass. Genesee Beer pours a clear straw with a half inch of short lived foam. Offers light lacing initially and keeps it for a while actually, somewhate impressive for the style.

Nose is of corned malts exclusively. Bit of creaminess on the nose but no hop notes to speak of. Bright nonetheless to a degree.

Flavor is smooth yet subtle, offering a pleasant feel and an easy drink. If this beer met Bud in an alley it would kick it's Ass all over town and come up smiling..

3.68/5  rDev +34.8%

12 oz can. I grew up on this stuff, and have to admit I still enjoy a few whenever I make it home. Pours a straw yellow, with a moderate head that recedes quickly. Aroma of the malt and maybe the adjunts. Good carbonation, and for me that familiar genny taste. I admit its a little lacking in any real body or depth but, still a good all night session beer

3.68/5  rDev +34.8%

12 stubby bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is crystal clear light yellow. Plenty of carbonation leads to a fairly thick white head that lingers . Pretty good lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smells somewhat sweet with bready malt and corn.

Flavor is corny up front along with cereal grain and a hint of breadiness. A sweetness pervades throughout with a light bitterness coming in at the finish along with a tiny bit of hop flavor. Finishes clean and dry.

Overall I am quite surprised by this beer. It is pretty tasty with no off flavors and has some hoppyness. Would be excellent on a hot day. One of the better AAL's.

3.65/5  rDev +33.7%

Genesee seems to get a bad rap around here. People consider it the worst thing money can buy. I disagree. I find Genny to be quite good, actually.
It pours a thin yellow straw colour with little head.
The smell is of grains, and a sweet malt. It's actually quite comforting and familiar. It gives way to a decent taste of grains and malts. A slight hoppy taste lingers on the toungue as it finishes.
Not a bad beer at all. Genesee never boasts of superior hops or malts. It has never aimed for greatness. It's just an all around good beer in its rawest form.

3.65/5  rDev +33.7%

This is actually very good. It’s one of those products that doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it actually is - a decent macro. Yes, it's kind of sweet, but not in a bad, or sickening way. It really does a lot to wet things on a hot summer day. It is a full flavored beer, and it seems to go well with just about any food. Afterwards, I've never had any negative things happening as far as headaches or digestive system problems. In my opinion, it has the standard brews from the big three beaten by a mile, and it costs less as well.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.