Genesee Beer - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

poor

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 498 | Reviews: 203

I have had bad beers in my day but i had the misfortune of trying this. It was in my friends step-dads frige, i was so used to seeing budlight i noticed something different, he said his buddy brought it down from new york. eager to have a beer other than bud/zepherhills light, i asked if he would mind if i had one. to my misfortune he said sure, that it wasnt available here, only up north. seemed hermless enough, but the first taste was putred.Horrable disgusting taste, couldent even finish it. got half way and dumped it and went for the bud. if it's better than bud it's got to be bad. nearly imposable to drink.

I've got to say, a good ad campaign works. Not that I went out and bought even one of these lately. But, I did turn my head when I saw the Genesee truck with the silloetted girl sitting on some cases of this swill. You know, the one that says, 'Genny's Here."
It's been a while since I've had one of these. It was last year some time in the summer at some parish picnic or firemen's bazzar. Anyway, if you do try this, you'd better hope that 'Genny', who is 'Here', is a nurse. You also better hope she's packing some Immodium. Every time I drink this I get the shits. Every time. At least the brewing process is consistent. If you're constipated, have one. Otherwise, stay away. Unless of course, there's no one in the line waiting to use the restroom and, you feel the need for a good bowel cleansing.

1.08/5  rDev -58.5%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a pint glass.

There's really not much I can say positive about this beer, so I'll skip reviewing all the individual aspects of this and just say how I really feel about it: this beer is nasty in every possible definition of the term. And I say that in a nice way, as that's the nicest possible way I can put it.

To put it bluntly: it looks, smells, and tastes like stale piss. You know what piss smells like if it's sat there for a few days? It smells like that, and tastes just like it smells. Drinkability? Zero. It tastes and smells like pungent, metallic, compost rot, akin to what you might expect from prison beer that was fermented from stale bread and old ketchup in an inmate's unflushed toilet. This is a horrible "beer" (if you can call it beer, i'd call it compost juice), the bottom of the bottom, I'd take Natural Ice or Steel Reserve 211 before this beer, that's how bad it is.

It will do things to your bowels that you've probably never experienced during your worst stomach flu or food poisoning experience. It might as well be marketed as a laxative. Instead of urinating frequently after drinking this, it'll squirt out the other end, if you don't vomit it out first, but it's definitely coming back out of one of the 2 holes on your body that beer isn't supposed to come out of.

I wouldn't touch this beer with a 10 foot pole if it was the last beer on earth. I don't even know how it even manages to sell. The epitome and very definition of the words "nasty" and "disgusting" could be summed up in two words: Genesee Beer.

If you want to experience some of the finer brews this brewery has to offer, go for Dundee. Dundee beers are actually pretty good, comparable to craft beers, especially surprising given that this is their flagship.

1.1/5  rDev -57.7%

Genesee Beer is a light golden or straw colored lager that is quite carbonated. It has a white head that makes a very brief appearance and then vanishes. The aroma is pretty much just fusel oil. It is thin and watery with a crisp finish. The flavor is fusel oil and cardboard. It's nasty. There is something slightly sweet and fruity at the end, but the lingering aftertaste is of poison. Have mercy!
(rated Aug 26, 2008)

1.11/5  rDev -57.3%

Maybe it was the can, maybe it was the beer. I was faced by a lack of options at a party, so I though I'd give it a try. I poured some into a glass exposing the light color and releasing some funky aromas. The first sip was OK, but after I swallowed, all kinds of bad flavors appeared. I tried it straight from the can a few times with no luck. I hated to dump a beer, but I couldn't drink it. So I picked up a Rock. What's this, Rock Light? I thought Rolling Rock WAS a light beer! A review for a later time.

1.12/5  rDev -56.9%

This beer is literally poison. Every time I've drank this foul stuff it's given me the shits so bad that I could barely function like a human being. Genesee literally turns you into an animal that has no control of of its bowel movements. They should include a diaper with every six pack.

The taste is that of poison and metal. I suspect that there is an inordinary amount of aluminum from the can that has leeched into the beer, which would explain the bowel cleansing results.

I will never let this beer touch my lips again. The last time I drank Gensee was at the Phish festival in Watkins Glen this past summer. Let's just say that they probably had to hose down the porti-poti after I was through with it. I will never forgive this brewery for the state I was in that day.

1.25/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

My dad says he used to drink this when he was a poor college kid, not sure why anyone would want it otherwise, unless for novelty., which is why I have it.

1.46/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I had this on a trip back to New York after not having tried it in nearly a decade, and it was unabashedly horrible. Really, downright horrible. Pours a light golden color, with a finger of white foam that dissipates in a snap. What smell there is arouses no interest--mildly sweet malt, and nothing else grabs me. The taste is peculiarly bland, vaguely sweet with an occasional taste of barley malt. The mouthfeel suffers, unsurprisingly, from too little carbonation, going flat in a moment's notice.

I wouldn't offer this to anyone but my worst enemies. It's abysmal, and it still shocks me to see so many old hands from my neck of the woods who still drink this swill. Don't try, ever.

1.47/5  rDev -43.5%

Its a basic beer, I mean sure, its nothing your going to write home to mama about,...but with these hard economic times, you could collect cans all day, as me and my friends have done...then with the deposit money and the recycling that you have accomplished... you could have a few 24 oz brew-skis at the end of the day Vs having nothing.

Taste: Like rotten corn, drink fast, get it over it over with

Smell: Like corn fields after and heavy hot rain.

Head: Forget it, just drink

Overall this beer is cheep and does the trick if you are out of cash, or have been hunting for change all day in the couch.

Did you find 4 bucks in change? Great! You're going have enough money to get loaded from ( 3 ) 24 oz cans. ;-)

Oh - Get your favorite aspirin or headache medicine ready, The Hangover from this beer is nasty...

1.48/5  rDev -43.1%

Poured extremely vigorously into a snifter, achieving a finger of white head, zero beading. Smells like a grain belt- corn, lots of corn, a bit of sugar, nothing exciting at all. Tastes like some beer that someone forgot about back in July. I wouldn't offer this beer to my worst enemy... seriously. This sucks. All beer biases aside this one tastes like I shouldn't have tasted it.

1.49/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Awkwardly bitter. Just doesn't have even a small bit of balance. Hits with fake bitter, exits with syrupy sweet corniness.

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Consumed from the can on 5/10/2011

Appearance: Well, not much I can say. I consumed it from the can. I can say though that once I dumped it out, it was a fairly Golden color. Borderline brown. Created a lot of foam in my sink.

Smell: Typical beer smell plus an odd, fake sweetness. A lot of malt and corn. No hops detectable.

Taste: I'm sorry to say this, but it's awful. Absolutely horrid. Way too sweet. Not even sweet in a good way. Disgustingly sweet. This may be the worse beer I have ever consumed. No hops at all. Stale, overly sweet malts and a blast of sweet, sweet, hella sweet corn. Yuck!

Mouthfeel: Oddly flat. Not enough of carbonation to back up that disgusting, syrupy sweetness.

Overall I will never, ever purchase this again. I'm angry I wasted my money on a 6er of it. It was so bad. The worse beer, I can say that I have ever had. This beer has a C rating on here, but I would not recommend it to anyone. I would take any American Adjunct/Light beer over this any day.

1.58/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Somewhere between high life & Banquet in flavor, comparable to BMC swill.

1.59/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: pours a clear, pale, almost off-white yellow into a nonic pint with no head. I gave the appearance a 3 because its on par with most AAL but that's where anything close to good lies alone.

S: corn, I struggle to get some wheat and maybe some grass.

T: water like, again there is some corn, maybe a note of wheat.

MF: water like, no body, at least there is the refreshing quality.

O: I like some AAL, a lot, this is terrible. Point blank bad. No nose, no flavor and no body.

1.61/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I poured this in a glass, and it poured a pale,clear golden,with a sudsy head that quickly dissipated,although the color was a bit better than a lot of other low budget beer.
smell: not very pleasant, sweet,corn, and grain aroma
taste:not much taste here, grainy, not much else to say, like the smell, not too pleasant.
mouthfeel: average mouthfeel of this genre, light bubbly and watery
drinkability: I'm only drinking this because my brother left some in my fridge, and I just wanted a beer, any beer, I would never actively seek this out, I imagine the hangover to be nasty, and the taste is awful, how people can put stuff like this above Budweiser, is beyond me, although Bud is certainly not GOOD beer, it's at least a notch above this.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Wow I had this for the first time while in Western NY at my wifes hometown local bar,one of the worse beers I had had in some time.Poures a fizzy yellow color with almost no head,not much smell what there is is very unpleasant almost skunky.Taste is awful something sour hits ya right as it enters the mouth than fades to this watery fizzy tasting mass.Incredably bad will never even think about getting this again.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

DATE TASTED: January 11, 2015... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal... OCCASION: cataloging my beers of the year--slow-motion spread sheet fun... APPEARANCE: glittering, shimmering golden body; snow white head that frizzles swiftly; sudsy inadequate residue... AROMA: toasty, oaty malts that pluck the nostrils; a secondary biscuit and sweet malts; slightly pungent finish... PALATE: oily, slightly effervescent; overall, a clean glass-emptying kind of lager ...TASTE: sweet, corny and grainy, with a malty base; not very balanced, with the ping that suggests a 40 oz.... OVERALL: when it was 36 cans for $10 (with a $5 mail-in rebate), it was a winner; now, its primary function is lining the top part of my beer fridge to keep its coldness; a mostly tolerable, predictable, unimpressive lager that only goes well after a few better beers have been consumed...

1.65/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer poured a pale yellow color and had absolutely no head and thereby creating no lace. It had an aroma of hops and grain. the flavor was weakly of hops and mostly of grain. The finish had an incredible amount of bite to it. I drank this back in my poor college days. Glad I am a working stiff now so I can avoid beer such as this.

1.72/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a nasty sticky looking straw yellow color with a thick white soapy head and no lacing. Smells of nasty hop extract and corn. Tastes of sweet corn and water. Mouthfeel is very watery with an unpleasant carbonation. Drinkability is low. A poor beer overall. Stay away.

1.8/5  rDev -30.8%

Never developed a taste. Love my local beer though

1.95/5  rDev -25%

If the cream ale was not enough, we have this offering. Bland, devoid of any taste, this would make a good stadium beer. That is to say, if you spill a cup of this, you aren't going to lose any sleep.

1.95/5  rDev -25%

There is nothing positive to say about this stuff.
Color is: yellowish (reminiscent of a urine infection)
Smell is like weak
Flavor is like that cheap beer we drank in high school when we had to take back bottles to get enough cash to buy a six pack.

Not sure how this stuff stays on the market with much better cheap choices out there. The folks making this stuff must love the loyals!

One review used the term chemical tasting....RIGHT ON. Great description.

1.96/5  rDev -24.6%

I am drinking this hobo-style out of a big-ass can, replete with paper bag and all, and so I cannot precisely say what it looks like, so I'll grant it a score of average. If the look is like the aroma, then an 'average' score is generous. It smells like bad cheap beer, sickly sweet grain and corn, alcohol and sweat socks, but perhaps there is a nostalgic element related to that ungodly combo that renders it better than horrible. The flavor is more in-your-face bad, with the same elements of cheap alcohol, corn and adjunct, dirty grain and sweat. The feel is about average. Overall this is pretty bad stuff.

1.97/5  rDev -24.2%

24 oz can split and poured into a pilsner glass.
2590 on the bottom of the can.

A - Golden blonde in color that's crystal clear filtered and highly carbonated. The white head has both good retention and nice lacing.

S - Very grainy corn husk aroma with dry straw and no hops. Not appealing so far.

T - Like the aroma, this beer is not appealing in the least. Grainy and corn-like, it is bland and just not good.

M - Thin, oily, and light-bodied, Genesee Beer has a dry, harsh finish.

O - Ugh. Drain pour to the max, this beer is just not good at all. Gross in flavor and nose, I would most definitely not want to experience this one again.

1.97/5  rDev -24.2%

Grew up on this shitty beer and will always drink it because it gets the job done.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.