Genesee Beer - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

poor

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Beer Alström Bros

I have had bad beers in my day but i had the misfortune of trying this. It was in my friends step-dads frige, i was so used to seeing budlight i noticed something different, he said his buddy brought it down from new york. eager to have a beer other than bud/zepherhills light, i asked if he would mind if i had one. to my misfortune he said sure, that it wasnt available here, only up north. seemed hermless enough, but the first taste was putred.Horrable disgusting taste, couldent even finish it. got half way and dumped it and went for the bud. if it's better than bud it's got to be bad. nearly imposable to drink.

twi1609372, Jul 05, 2004

JimmytheSaintPSU, Aug 21, 2012

VonZipper, Jun 03, 2014

stuttle13, Feb 02, 2013

EUFTG, Feb 26, 2013

I've got to say, a good ad campaign works. Not that I went out and bought even one of these lately. But, I did turn my head when I saw the Genesee truck with the silloetted girl sitting on some cases of this swill. You know, the one that says, 'Genny's Here."
It's been a while since I've had one of these. It was last year some time in the summer at some parish picnic or firemen's bazzar. Anyway, if you do try this, you'd better hope that 'Genny', who is 'Here', is a nurse. You also better hope she's packing some Immodium. Every time I drink this I get the shits. Every time. At least the brewing process is consistent. If you're constipated, have one. Otherwise, stay away. Unless of course, there's no one in the line waiting to use the restroom and, you feel the need for a good bowel cleansing.

cro250klr, Jan 04, 2005

Durandal_777, May 03, 2014

LBIsurf, Mar 26, 2012

djchrismac, Apr 15, 2014

mful2875, Jul 17, 2014

bejaranobio, Jul 31, 2014
1.08/5  rDev -58.6%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a pint glass.

There's really not much I can say positive about this beer, so I'll skip reviewing all the individual aspects of this and just say how I really feel about it: this beer is nasty in every possible definition of the term. And I say that in a nice way, as that's the nicest possible way I can put it.

To put it bluntly: it looks, smells, and tastes like stale piss. You know what piss smells like if it's sat there for a few days? It smells like that, and tastes just like it smells. Drinkability? Zero. It tastes and smells like pungent, metallic, compost rot, akin to what you might expect from prison beer that was fermented from stale bread and old ketchup in an inmate's unflushed toilet. This is a horrible "beer" (if you can call it beer, i'd call it compost juice), the bottom of the bottom, I'd take Natural Ice or Steel Reserve 211 before this beer, that's how bad it is.

It will do things to your bowels that you've probably never experienced during your worst stomach flu or food poisoning experience. It might as well be marketed as a laxative. Instead of urinating frequently after drinking this, it'll squirt out the other end, if you don't vomit it out first, but it's definitely coming back out of one of the 2 holes on your body that beer isn't supposed to come out of.

I wouldn't touch this beer with a 10 foot pole if it was the last beer on earth. I don't even know how it even manages to sell. The epitome and very definition of the words "nasty" and "disgusting" could be summed up in two words: Genesee Beer.

If you want to experience some of the finer brews this brewery has to offer, go for Dundee. Dundee beers are actually pretty good, comparable to craft beers, especially surprising given that this is their flagship.

Clowerweb, Jan 31, 2012
1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

This beer is literally poison. Every time I've drank this foul stuff it's given me the shits so bad that I could barely function like a human being. Genesee literally turns you into an animal that has no control of of its bowel movements. They should include a diaper with every six pack.

The taste is that of poison and metal. I suspect that there is an inordinary amount of aluminum from the can that has leeched into the beer, which would explain the bowel cleansing results.

I will never let this beer touch my lips again. The last time I drank Gensee was at the Phish festival in Watkins Glen this past summer. Let's just say that they probably had to hose down the porti-poti after I was through with it. I will never forgive this brewery for the state I was in that day.

abriggs1, Nov 17, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

Genesee Beer is a light golden or straw colored lager that is quite carbonated. It has a white head that makes a very brief appearance and then vanishes. The aroma is pretty much just fusel oil. It is thin and watery with a crisp finish. The flavor is fusel oil and cardboard. It's nasty. There is something slightly sweet and fruity at the end, but the lingering aftertaste is of poison. Have mercy!
(rated Aug 26, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 12, 2008
1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

Maybe it was the can, maybe it was the beer. I was faced by a lack of options at a party, so I though I'd give it a try. I poured some into a glass exposing the light color and releasing some funky aromas. The first sip was OK, but after I swallowed, all kinds of bad flavors appeared. I tried it straight from the can a few times with no luck. I hated to dump a beer, but I couldn't drink it. So I picked up a Rock. What's this, Rock Light? I thought Rolling Rock WAS a light beer! A review for a later time.

aaronh, Sep 01, 2002
1.2/5  rDev -54%

poohbearzeccola, Aug 20, 2014

user785335, Apr 13, 2014

Tertullian007, Sep 25, 2013

Jackal, Jul 26, 2013

LexShaw89, Jun 07, 2012
Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.