Genesee Beer - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

poor

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 499 | Reviews: 204
2.32/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a straw yellow with a small head, little retention. A grain/ malt scent, with a similiar taste. Not much lacing or carbonation. Below average taste with below average drinkability combine to make a below average beer; but its cheap, so if you are just interested in getting drunk on a budget, genesee isnt's the worst choice, but close.

3.92/5  rDev +50.8%

Been drinking this swill for years and love it hope it stays arround as long as i do, this beer has a clean crisp taste, holds a good head and most important after pounding genny all nite you wake up with no hangover,so get 30 and go for it your boss will think you had pepsi all nite.

I've got to say, a good ad campaign works. Not that I went out and bought even one of these lately. But, I did turn my head when I saw the Genesee truck with the silloetted girl sitting on some cases of this swill. You know, the one that says, 'Genny's Here."
It's been a while since I've had one of these. It was last year some time in the summer at some parish picnic or firemen's bazzar. Anyway, if you do try this, you'd better hope that 'Genny', who is 'Here', is a nurse. You also better hope she's packing some Immodium. Every time I drink this I get the shits. Every time. At least the brewing process is consistent. If you're constipated, have one. Otherwise, stay away. Unless of course, there's no one in the line waiting to use the restroom and, you feel the need for a good bowel cleansing.

2.19/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance-pale golden color when poured out, a lot more head than I thought I would get. It'll do.

Smell-barely anything, very clean, cooked DNS and some grains is all I got.

Taste-Clean, very Bud like but a little blander, I don't really taste that much other than a little grain and DNS.

Mouthfeel-it's fine, the beer is carbonated, virtually similar to Bud in almost every respect.

Drinkability-easy, it's cheap and it tasted like Bud. If your a Bud drinker or your friends are, this should pass.

Overall-virtually a clone of Bud only even cleaner and blander. If your cheap pick this up sometime instead of Bud and see what you think. If you don't like Bud then don't even bother with this product.

1.61/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I poured this in a glass, and it poured a pale,clear golden,with a sudsy head that quickly dissipated,although the color was a bit better than a lot of other low budget beer.
smell: not very pleasant, sweet,corn, and grain aroma
taste:not much taste here, grainy, not much else to say, like the smell, not too pleasant.
mouthfeel: average mouthfeel of this genre, light bubbly and watery
drinkability: I'm only drinking this because my brother left some in my fridge, and I just wanted a beer, any beer, I would never actively seek this out, I imagine the hangover to be nasty, and the taste is awful, how people can put stuff like this above Budweiser, is beyond me, although Bud is certainly not GOOD beer, it's at least a notch above this.

3.27/5  rDev +25.8%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a nice pale malt scent with a dry, yet slightly fruity lager yeast aroma. It is clean and crisp. The taste is average. It is virtually devoid of any real flavor besides the weak pale malt taste. It is full of adjuncts and a dry lager yeast finish. The goes down easy, but is quite watery. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a slightly above average adjunct lager. It has little complexity, but it drinks well.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

This is our hometown yellow beer. Now that's something to say, as there aren't too many hometowns left that can make their own yellow beer.

There's no sugar coating it. At BeerAdvocate, you come looking for information and insight on something other that this type. However, don't hate on the Genny.

If your looking to get a lot of suds for the softball team when they come over to burn some dead animal products, this is the shite for you. Beats spending twice as much on Bud. Besides, High Falls has spent some $23 million or more on sophisticated process control equipment. So this is some of the best made yella stuff arond.

If you're going to buy yellow beer, buy something that's not going to go to keep Bud controlling everything.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

Flat Average for macros. I liked this a little better than having it from the can or glass, the flavors were a little less "concentrated" (ie:a little watery) but this wasn't a bad beer at all. Had a 22 oz during a Cleveland Indians game in a local "cheap beers and cheap drinks" corner bar where I usually consume my weight in Rolling Rock.

It appeared average and smelled like every other macro. It washed down chips and corned beef average and drinkablilty is also average. On tap, it was a little more drinkable, and the price the place sells it for (1.45 for a 22 all the time) adds to the score.

The taste was a little corn, a little alcohol bite, but mostly un-offensive, have it with hot-dogs at the ballpark, kinda taste.

Update 3/1/05: I am buying this more in the can because it's a decent cheap beverage. Although, I still prefer the Red or PBR, I gotta say, when ice cold, this hits the cheapspot.

I have had bad beers in my day but i had the misfortune of trying this. It was in my friends step-dads frige, i was so used to seeing budlight i noticed something different, he said his buddy brought it down from new york. eager to have a beer other than bud/zepherhills light, i asked if he would mind if i had one. to my misfortune he said sure, that it wasnt available here, only up north. seemed hermless enough, but the first taste was putred.Horrable disgusting taste, couldent even finish it. got half way and dumped it and went for the bud. if it's better than bud it's got to be bad. nearly imposable to drink.

2.77/5  rDev +6.5%

I just moved to Northeast PA, and went to the beer store from some lawnmower beer (moving makes you crave cold cheap beer). I hoped for Ballantine or Genny Cream Ale, and found little more than Coors and Bud. They did have Genessee Beer, which I’m certain that I’ve never had. Since I’m fond of the Cream Ale, I figured it was worth a try.
It pours a very light yellow color. In a pilsner glass, it looks disappointingly thin. The beer presents a wispy, white head that forms just a little lace. The taste is adjunct heavy…more corn taste than malt. Still, it was satisfying. It’s clean, crisp, and has a pleasant, lightly musty-hop finish. Body is definitely light, almost watery. I can say that I was disappointed, but not extremely so. Still, I’ll avoid this one in the future.

2.67/5  rDev +2.7%

I suppose its every Rochestarians duty to review this one. It was purchased as the beverage of choice for the "Dude Game", (pop in the Big Lebowski, and drink everytime they say "dude"). We sure as hell weren't going to be playing with Storm King.. anyway..

Appearance: Quite possibly the clearest, palest beer I've ever seen. Wait, maybe I forgot to pour it in my glass.. nope. It's there, barely. Poured with a paper-thin head, which stuck around for a whole three seconds. No lacing to speak of. What do you expect?

Smell: Brings me back to beer pong night in college. Big malty sweetness, way to sweet in my opinion. A touch of citric hops, but you really have to look for it.

Mouthfeel: Very light, watery, par for the course.

Taste: You can't ignore the corniness of the beer, but compared to Labatt & Molson, I'll take this beer any day of the week. Smooth and refined with light malt flavor poking through. Not bad, not good either.

If faced with the other light macro's I would probably go for this. Doesn't seem to have the metallic taste that Labatt and Molson are troubled by.

I'm sure the Dude would abide.

3.65/5  rDev +40.4%

Genesee seems to get a bad rap around here. People consider it the worst thing money can buy. I disagree. I find Genny to be quite good, actually.
It pours a thin yellow straw colour with little head.
The smell is of grains, and a sweet malt. It's actually quite comforting and familiar. It gives way to a decent taste of grains and malts. A slight hoppy taste lingers on the toungue as it finishes.
Not a bad beer at all. Genesee never boasts of superior hops or malts. It has never aimed for greatness. It's just an all around good beer in its rawest form.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

I must put this beer into context before I review it. When staying at my in-laws I always enjoy the ability to walk to a bar. There is a working-class bar that I always hit up. It is ten blocks away and they have Genny on tap. The beer decent to look at. The head is one finger and stays for most of the beer. The color is yellow, but not overly clear. It seems to have some body. The smell is of corn and some light hops. The taste is okay for a pale lager. There is definitely corn but the beer is quite smooth tasting. Drinkability, of course, is up to the drinker. Sometimes it is quite drinkable in that little working-class bar in Western Pennsylvania.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Wow I had this for the first time while in Western NY at my wifes hometown local bar,one of the worse beers I had had in some time.Poures a fizzy yellow color with almost no head,not much smell what there is is very unpleasant almost skunky.Taste is awful something sour hits ya right as it enters the mouth than fades to this watery fizzy tasting mass.Incredably bad will never even think about getting this again.

2.13/5  rDev -18.1%

In the Northeastern U.S. of A., Genesee is one of the "champions" of cheap beer that is actually drinkable. I will readily admit to advocating the Genny Red as a good cheap amber lager, and enjoying the Cream Ale on a few occasions. Genesee's regular lager is quite disappointing compared to the previous two beers. Sure, it's still cheap, but this one tastes that way as well.

Genesee Beer pours a light gold color with a decent two finger foam head that lasts for around 30 seconds. The smell is somewhat fruity, much like canned fruit. There is a definite musty/soapiness underneath that. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. The initial taste is of some unpleasing fruitiness, much like overrripe pear. There are cheap adjuncty flavors abound in this brew, in addition to the light soapy flavors that can be found as well. Moderate bitterness all around. The aftertaste has more of that cheap grain taste plus a tiny bit of corn This all finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

In the world of Genny products, I'll stick with the Cream Ale or Red over this one. Or, if still in the mood for a cheap beer, get one of the old standbys (Pabst, Stroh's, or Schlitz). They always seem to do the trick when money's tight.

2.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Appears filtered clear "golden" with a white fizzy head including nice scattered webs of lacing across my faceted mug. Aroma is light sweetness definitely some adjuncts present with a slight touch of hops, clean overall. Taste contains a crisp rolling gingery sweet not bad but decent bland but solid flavor. Balanced and cheap and better than most macros in my opinion. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied but not thin there' some decent fluffy texture here from the carbonation. Drinkability well, much better beer exists but I would still settle for this over most macros like I said, a cheap high quantity type brew.

3.68/5  rDev +41.5%

12 oz can. I grew up on this stuff, and have to admit I still enjoy a few whenever I make it home. Pours a straw yellow, with a moderate head that recedes quickly. Aroma of the malt and maybe the adjunts. Good carbonation, and for me that familiar genny taste. I admit its a little lacking in any real body or depth but, still a good all night session beer

2.63/5  rDev +1.2%

This is another of the many pale lagers that have done a better job than the majors in everything but the marketing. Not a bad effort a decent lager beer. The malt nose is joined by a pleasant grain taste that indicates both barley and corn. Decent enough straw color with the standard white head. Not a bad beer; not a great beer.

2.23/5  rDev -14.2%

Pale gold, highly carbonated with moderate head that doesn't stick around too long. Corn aroma mixed with a bland hop smell. Gristy corn taste that lingers sort of bitter/sour in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and lingering (due to the aftertaste).

3.17/5  rDev +21.9%

This is one of those beers that does not aspire to be great - it simply aims to be drinkable. As far as that goes, this is actually a very pleasant beer. Don't waste time trying to find any complexity to the flavor - softly sweet, almost a touch of honey, malt with a bit sour finish is all you will find. But, pair this with some sharp cheddar and crackers and it won't get in the way.

2.28/5  rDev -12.3%

This is a pretty brew but it wont put out. Very nice mid golden colour and pours a nice head which disapates to a wide ring around the glass. However the taste is hollow, certainly lacking and is bitter and lingering. This to me constitutes a limited occasion beer, limited to those visitors of yours that you do not want to return.

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

This is the first "genny" I drank since I was a thirsty Canuck Biker-punk swarming Buffalo bars on the week ends to drink up the "Yank Pignut oil" sold on tap at hundreds of small neighborhood bars in upstate NY.

Since that time, small lakes Canadian, imported and craft brewed beer has flowed over this tired palate. Ya know what? Genny tastes good to me! You have to come from the right frame of reference. I believe you Yanks are too hard on yourselves when it comes to grading the local commercial sudz. This Gennesee reminded me of a traditional local brewed American lager from a time when the local breweries CARED and had to make their smaller batches consistantly BETTER than the mega brewers to keep alive. I'd give this new offering from high falls an overall 3.5 for focusing on the traditional repeatable quality of the regional American brewer before the 70s corporate shit-storm made national brands taste different depending on where you bought them. Long live Genny!

1.95/5  rDev -25%

If the cream ale was not enough, we have this offering. Bland, devoid of any taste, this would make a good stadium beer. That is to say, if you spill a cup of this, you aren't going to lose any sleep.

1.11/5  rDev -57.3%

Maybe it was the can, maybe it was the beer. I was faced by a lack of options at a party, so I though I'd give it a try. I poured some into a glass exposing the light color and releasing some funky aromas. The first sip was OK, but after I swallowed, all kinds of bad flavors appeared. I tried it straight from the can a few times with no luck. I hated to dump a beer, but I couldn't drink it. So I picked up a Rock. What's this, Rock Light? I thought Rolling Rock WAS a light beer! A review for a later time.

2.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Bright golden, thin white sticky lace. Aromas of light grain and veggie smells in the background. Light and even bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Malt flavours are weak. Hop flavour has a quick flash of lemon, then dies. After this all of the flavours hit adjunct city all the way to the finish which is pretty clean and boring.

A very bland beer. Not impressed at all.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.