Genesee Beer - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

poor

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Beer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
3.38/5  rDev +29%

This is our hometown yellow beer. Now that's something to say, as there aren't too many hometowns left that can make their own yellow beer.

There's no sugar coating it. At BeerAdvocate, you come looking for information and insight on something other that this type. However, don't hate on the Genny.

If your looking to get a lot of suds for the softball team when they come over to burn some dead animal products, this is the shite for you. Beats spending twice as much on Bud. Besides, High Falls has spent some $23 million or more on sophisticated process control equipment. So this is some of the best made yella stuff arond.

If you're going to buy yellow beer, buy something that's not going to go to keep Bud controlling everything.

rugbycritic, Sep 07, 2004
3.1/5  rDev +18.3%

Flat Average for macros. I liked this a little better than having it from the can or glass, the flavors were a little less "concentrated" (ie:a little watery) but this wasn't a bad beer at all. Had a 22 oz during a Cleveland Indians game in a local "cheap beers and cheap drinks" corner bar where I usually consume my weight in Rolling Rock.

It appeared average and smelled like every other macro. It washed down chips and corned beef average and drinkablilty is also average. On tap, it was a little more drinkable, and the price the place sells it for (1.45 for a 22 all the time) adds to the score.

The taste was a little corn, a little alcohol bite, but mostly un-offensive, have it with hot-dogs at the ballpark, kinda taste.

Update 3/1/05: I am buying this more in the can because it's a decent cheap beverage. Although, I still prefer the Red or PBR, I gotta say, when ice cold, this hits the cheapspot.

Ricochet, Aug 12, 2004

I have had bad beers in my day but i had the misfortune of trying this. It was in my friends step-dads frige, i was so used to seeing budlight i noticed something different, he said his buddy brought it down from new york. eager to have a beer other than bud/zepherhills light, i asked if he would mind if i had one. to my misfortune he said sure, that it wasnt available here, only up north. seemed hermless enough, but the first taste was putred.Horrable disgusting taste, couldent even finish it. got half way and dumped it and went for the bud. if it's better than bud it's got to be bad. nearly imposable to drink.

twi1609372, Jul 05, 2004
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I just moved to Northeast PA, and went to the beer store from some lawnmower beer (moving makes you crave cold cheap beer). I hoped for Ballantine or Genny Cream Ale, and found little more than Coors and Bud. They did have Genessee Beer, which I’m certain that I’ve never had. Since I’m fond of the Cream Ale, I figured it was worth a try.
It pours a very light yellow color. In a pilsner glass, it looks disappointingly thin. The beer presents a wispy, white head that forms just a little lace. The taste is adjunct heavy…more corn taste than malt. Still, it was satisfying. It’s clean, crisp, and has a pleasant, lightly musty-hop finish. Body is definitely light, almost watery. I can say that I was disappointed, but not extremely so. Still, I’ll avoid this one in the future.

Suds, May 16, 2004
2.7/5  rDev +3.1%

I suppose its every Rochestarians duty to review this one. It was purchased as the beverage of choice for the "Dude Game", (pop in the Big Lebowski, and drink everytime they say "dude"). We sure as hell weren't going to be playing with Storm King.. anyway..

Appearance: Quite possibly the clearest, palest beer I've ever seen. Wait, maybe I forgot to pour it in my glass.. nope. It's there, barely. Poured with a paper-thin head, which stuck around for a whole three seconds. No lacing to speak of. What do you expect?

Smell: Brings me back to beer pong night in college. Big malty sweetness, way to sweet in my opinion. A touch of citric hops, but you really have to look for it.

Mouthfeel: Very light, watery, par for the course.

Taste: You can't ignore the corniness of the beer, but compared to Labatt & Molson, I'll take this beer any day of the week. Smooth and refined with light malt flavor poking through. Not bad, not good either.

If faced with the other light macro's I would probably go for this. Doesn't seem to have the metallic taste that Labatt and Molson are troubled by.

I'm sure the Dude would abide.

Onceeven, Apr 07, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +39.3%

Genesee seems to get a bad rap around here. People consider it the worst thing money can buy. I disagree. I find Genny to be quite good, actually.
It pours a thin yellow straw colour with little head.
The smell is of grains, and a sweet malt. It's actually quite comforting and familiar. It gives way to a decent taste of grains and malts. A slight hoppy taste lingers on the toungue as it finishes.
Not a bad beer at all. Genesee never boasts of superior hops or malts. It has never aimed for greatness. It's just an all around good beer in its rawest form.

CBFanWish, Mar 09, 2004
2.93/5  rDev +11.8%

I must put this beer into context before I review it. When staying at my in-laws I always enjoy the ability to walk to a bar. There is a working-class bar that I always hit up. It is ten blocks away and they have Genny on tap. The beer decent to look at. The head is one finger and stays for most of the beer. The color is yellow, but not overly clear. It seems to have some body. The smell is of corn and some light hops. The taste is okay for a pale lager. There is definitely corn but the beer is quite smooth tasting. Drinkability, of course, is up to the drinker. Sometimes it is quite drinkable in that little working-class bar in Western Pennsylvania.

Maestro, Jan 11, 2004
1.63/5  rDev -37.8%

Wow I had this for the first time while in Western NY at my wifes hometown local bar,one of the worse beers I had had in some time.Poures a fizzy yellow color with almost no head,not much smell what there is is very unpleasant almost skunky.Taste is awful something sour hits ya right as it enters the mouth than fades to this watery fizzy tasting mass.Incredably bad will never even think about getting this again.

oberon, Nov 25, 2003
2.13/5  rDev -18.7%

In the Northeastern U.S. of A., Genesee is one of the "champions" of cheap beer that is actually drinkable. I will readily admit to advocating the Genny Red as a good cheap amber lager, and enjoying the Cream Ale on a few occasions. Genesee's regular lager is quite disappointing compared to the previous two beers. Sure, it's still cheap, but this one tastes that way as well.

Genesee Beer pours a light gold color with a decent two finger foam head that lasts for around 30 seconds. The smell is somewhat fruity, much like canned fruit. There is a definite musty/soapiness underneath that. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. The initial taste is of some unpleasing fruitiness, much like overrripe pear. There are cheap adjuncty flavors abound in this brew, in addition to the light soapy flavors that can be found as well. Moderate bitterness all around. The aftertaste has more of that cheap grain taste plus a tiny bit of corn This all finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

In the world of Genny products, I'll stick with the Cream Ale or Red over this one. Or, if still in the mood for a cheap beer, get one of the old standbys (Pabst, Stroh's, or Schlitz). They always seem to do the trick when money's tight.

Beastdog75, Sep 11, 2003
2.15/5  rDev -17.9%

Appears filtered clear "golden" with a white fizzy head including nice scattered webs of lacing across my faceted mug. Aroma is light sweetness definitely some adjuncts present with a slight touch of hops, clean overall. Taste contains a crisp rolling gingery sweet not bad but decent bland but solid flavor. Balanced and cheap and better than most macros in my opinion. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied but not thin there' some decent fluffy texture here from the carbonation. Drinkability well, much better beer exists but I would still settle for this over most macros like I said, a cheap high quantity type brew.

WVbeergeek, Sep 01, 2003
3.73/5  rDev +42.4%

12 oz can. I grew up on this stuff, and have to admit I still enjoy a few whenever I make it home. Pours a straw yellow, with a moderate head that recedes quickly. Aroma of the malt and maybe the adjunts. Good carbonation, and for me that familiar genny taste. I admit its a little lacking in any real body or depth but, still a good all night session beer

Indybeer, Jun 10, 2003
2.63/5  rDev +0.4%

This is another of the many pale lagers that have done a better job than the majors in everything but the marketing. Not a bad effort a decent lager beer. The malt nose is joined by a pleasant grain taste that indicates both barley and corn. Decent enough straw color with the standard white head. Not a bad beer; not a great beer.

AtLagerHeads, Apr 15, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -16%

Pale gold, highly carbonated with moderate head that doesn't stick around too long. Corn aroma mixed with a bland hop smell. Gristy corn taste that lingers sort of bitter/sour in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and lingering (due to the aftertaste).

canoehornpoint, Jan 16, 2003
3.18/5  rDev +21.4%

This is one of those beers that does not aspire to be great - it simply aims to be drinkable. As far as that goes, this is actually a very pleasant beer. Don't waste time trying to find any complexity to the flavor - softly sweet, almost a touch of honey, malt with a bit sour finish is all you will find. But, pair this with some sharp cheddar and crackers and it won't get in the way.

Brent, Jan 01, 2003
2.23/5  rDev -14.9%

This is a pretty brew but it wont put out. Very nice mid golden colour and pours a nice head which disapates to a wide ring around the glass. However the taste is hollow, certainly lacking and is bitter and lingering. This to me constitutes a limited occasion beer, limited to those visitors of yours that you do not want to return.

Shiloh, Nov 17, 2002
3.53/5  rDev +34.7%

This is the first "genny" I drank since I was a thirsty Canuck Biker-punk swarming Buffalo bars on the week ends to drink up the "Yank Pignut oil" sold on tap at hundreds of small neighborhood bars in upstate NY.

Since that time, small lakes Canadian, imported and craft brewed beer has flowed over this tired palate. Ya know what? Genny tastes good to me! You have to come from the right frame of reference. I believe you Yanks are too hard on yourselves when it comes to grading the local commercial sudz. This Gennesee reminded me of a traditional local brewed American lager from a time when the local breweries CARED and had to make their smaller batches consistantly BETTER than the mega brewers to keep alive. I'd give this new offering from high falls an overall 3.5 for focusing on the traditional repeatable quality of the regional American brewer before the 70s corporate shit-storm made national brands taste different depending on where you bought them. Long live Genny!

pootz, Oct 19, 2002
1.95/5  rDev -25.6%

If the cream ale was not enough, we have this offering. Bland, devoid of any taste, this would make a good stadium beer. That is to say, if you spill a cup of this, you aren't going to lose any sleep.

bewareOFpenguin, Oct 17, 2002
1.1/5  rDev -58%

Maybe it was the can, maybe it was the beer. I was faced by a lack of options at a party, so I though I'd give it a try. I poured some into a glass exposing the light color and releasing some funky aromas. The first sip was OK, but after I swallowed, all kinds of bad flavors appeared. I tried it straight from the can a few times with no luck. I hated to dump a beer, but I couldn't drink it. So I picked up a Rock. What's this, Rock Light? I thought Rolling Rock WAS a light beer! A review for a later time.

aaronh, Sep 01, 2002
2.1/5  rDev -19.8%

Bright golden, thin white sticky lace. Aromas of light grain and veggie smells in the background. Light and even bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Malt flavours are weak. Hop flavour has a quick flash of lemon, then dies. After this all of the flavours hit adjunct city all the way to the finish which is pretty clean and boring.

A very bland beer. Not impressed at all.

Todd, Jul 15, 2002
2.33/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

At my favorite watering hole, this is all they have on draught. It isn't bad at first sip, but it gives me bad hearburn and the worst hangovers even if I don't drink too much. It is hardly a session beer for me.
It is light in color, with a nice head with tightly packed bubbles. First taste if of a fizzy malt rush with slight hoppy overtones. Goes down pretty smooth, but the simplicity of the brew quickly annoys you. Finishes with a heavy adjunct aftertaste.

psugrad98, May 22, 2002
1.63/5  rDev -37.8%

This beer poured a pale yellow color and had absolutely no head and thereby creating no lace. It had an aroma of hops and grain. the flavor was weakly of hops and mostly of grain. The finish had an incredible amount of bite to it. I drank this back in my poor college days. Glad I am a working stiff now so I can avoid beer such as this.

Wildman, May 19, 2002
3.43/5  rDev +30.9%

Presentation: 12oz can with a red, white, blue and black coloured label. No freshness date.

Appearance: Straw in colour with a thin spotted white lace, leaves thin uneven rings of head sporadically down the glass.

Smell: Thin but agreeable malt smell with a cooked corn nose. Light fragrant hop that could be hard to miss within the clean aroma.

Taste: Light bodied with a well structured and integrated smooth mouth feel and crisp carbonation. Grain and cooked corn on the tongue with a sharp carbonation and tingling hop bitterness that takes advantage of the lightness of the beer for a bit. All around clean palate from the lagering (cold conditioning) of this beer. On the dry side with a grainy and bitty flavour of both six row barley and corn stomping through the finish.

Notes: Beats Bud hands down IMO, comparable to other American lagers of the sort. Sadly this beer is not as big as either of the big three Macro beers of the US.

Jason, Apr 16, 2002
3.45/5  rDev +31.7%

This is one of the better (macro-brewed) American lagers. Clean and flavorful.

John, Sep 17, 2001
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.