Ale Man - Canterbury AleWorks

Ale Man
No picture uploaded.

Canterbury AleWorks
New Hampshire, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Carpentiere on 05-07-2013)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by SawDog505:
SawDog505

3.58/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured into my 16 oz Flying Dog tulip glass. Pours a bright clear orange, with a one inch fluffy white head, that leaves behind some traces of lace. Smell is some subtle tangerine, pine, fresh cut grass, and some biscuit. Taste is that, with a hint of oak and toffee. Body is medium for the style, plenty of life, not dry, and easy to drink. I am surprised by the other reviews, this isn't a world class, but this is what I expect from a standard pale ale.

01-11-2014 21:10:01 | More by SawDog505
guezarka

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't take the time to write a lot of reviews, but I felt like some feedback to the smaller, local brewers is justified instead of just dropping a number. Especially since the beer didn't meet my expectations.

Picked up a bomber at Bert's in Hooksett. I like to drink local and for me Kolsch is a great fit for the summer in these parts, so I was looking forward to this beer. 0873 A2 0216 is printed on the bottom of the bottle.

Pours out with a nice head and good lacing lingers. Much cloudier than I've ever seen in a Kolsch. I'm expecting a clear lager. Looks more like a belgian pale ale. No sediment on the bottom and it wasn't shaken up prior to opening.

Smell is not crisp. Musty and phenolic. Looked at the bottle to double check that I've got the right one.

First sip did not taste "lager" either. Way too sour. Not crisp. But none of the sweet fruit that a Belgian would bring to the table. The hops taste right for the classic German lager but we're out of balance here. Carbonation was about right but the texture of the beer felt oily and heavy.

The lingering bitterness at the finish was pleasing, but it had an uphill battle against that sour funk that overwhelmed this beer.

Maybe I got a weird bottle. I'll try it again, but make sure you have a back up plan if you're bringing a bottle to share with friends.

08-25-2013 19:03:16 | More by guezarka
NHbeerfishing

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

07-10-2013 03:30:43 | More by NHbeerfishing
Carpentiere

1.78/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This is a new nano brewery and they are trying but I have not been impressed yet. I have had a few of theirs. They take like 'basic home brew' by someone who needs to learn more about brewing. The label is nice and the owner is...just needs to grow a bit. The beer needs more body and less aftertaste.

05-07-2013 21:17:40 | More by Carpentiere
Ale Man from Canterbury AleWorks
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.