Murphy's Law Amber Ale - Smartmouth Brewing Company

Beer added by: clayrock81 on 11-15-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 8
3.9/5  rDev +13%

Served on tap at Smartmouth Brewing Company. Pours a nice amber with decent head and lacing. Aroma is not the strongest in the world, but the taste is pretty crisp with decent, dry finish. Overall not a bad amber.

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

As I drink this it get worst as I drink it.

12 oz can.

clear medium amber color. thin off-white head that fades. malty sweet aroma, a bit nutty. a bit of butterscotch in the taste, not bad but not real great flavor. medium body and carbonation.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

a - clear amber
s - slight, slight caramelized malt. not much aroma at all to be honest.
t - caramalized, but actually almost toasted malt flavor. its not dark, but toasted malt flavor is evident, and this doesnt taste much like other ambers(bells would be my comparison here)
m - light bodied.
o - pretty lame, nothing stands out here. im a little confused on the style here too.

2.94/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not one of my favorites. This beer pours a reddish brown color with ok head. This beer overall is weak in flavor,. Wanted more hop bitterness but got a mild malt bitterness that wasnt that great. Seems a little watery and lacks the robust flavor of a good amber ale....Won't revisit, sorry

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to my sister for bringing up my first Smartmouth cans, been looking forward to their beers for a while.

Pours a deep brown/red, super clear, little head the recedes quickly and some lasting carbonation. No cap.(Will try different glass next time).

Earthy nose, subtle hops, slight toast.

Malty, dry, roasted and toasted malt with some toffee, hop bitterness, and a bit of a tannic, drying bite.

Medium bodied, mouth filling carbonation. Good, but not great beer. Looking forward to the Rule G.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on-tap at the Green Parrot in Virginia Beach. Served in an ice-cold pint glass so the head was fairly suppressed. Nice reddish amber color and some filmy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is fairly mild, some hoppiness and more than a touch of Belgian-type yeast.

I had this with fried oysters and onion rings and the flavor worked well with food. A bit more hoppy than malty but there were elements of both. The yeast thing I noticed in the aroma was more prominent in the taste. Seemed to work well with the other flavors and added a bit of novelty to the taste.

Mouthfeel was crisp with a nice touch of bitterness.

I would order this one again.

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Perhaps I shouldn't preface my review with this statement but I will. Of the three Smartmouth beers I have had, this is the only one I did not really enjoy. I like my amber ales balanced with hops and malts playing an equal part and this is not balanced in my opinion. Poured a clearish reddy brown body with decent head and a blandish aroma of mild hops and little bit of caramel and roasted malts, but all very faint. However, upon drinking I find that the roasted malts overpower everything else. The sweetness from caramel and possible other malts, along with balance and crispness and steady mouthflow that comes from a decent amount of hops are all neutralized. Mostly, it just feels like a dry, roasted, "weak stout". The finish is very dry and I find this less a session beer and more of a sipper.

to view more.