1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Socarrada - La Socarrada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa

La SocarradaLa Socarrada

La Socarrada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

American Golden Ale brewed with rosemary and rosemary honey.

10-19 IBU

(Beer added by: txbrewer on 08-12-2012)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 13 | Show All Ratings:
Brenden

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

This one's pretty much exactly amber, from the medium bright orange flair in the outer body to the deeper, more bronzed orange in the depth, to its general translucence nearing opacity. The head is just off-white and airy but well structured. It sits at about 3/4 of a finger and puts down fairly dense spotting.
It really does offer exactly what it claims to: both aroma and flavor offer lots of fresh-picked rosemary and spicy kitchen herb with a bit of honey behind it under some pale and bready malts with touches of perfume. Hops are very light but used to good effect, bringing out a hint of pine set against the honey sweetness, while a bit of white pepper tickles the tongue from middle into an easy lingering finish.
The body is medium but easing lighter. It has some crispness and shows smoothness on the tongue that stays most of the way but falls off a bit at the very end, while the herb dries it out but not too much.

04-02-2014 20:15:09 | More by Brenden
Erex91

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance- Light hazy wheat coloration. Not all that bad looking. A HUGE head on this one. I am unsure if that is just the beer or if my bottle was shaken up before purchase (first time buying beer at Hubble and Hudson). The head kept its volume quite well throughout the entire tasting. Definitely some sediment in this one. Black specs that I am going to assume are rosemary.

Smell- This was my favorite part of the beer. Very strong hints of rosemary invade the nose on this. I was reminded of a type of chicken that my dad and I smoke using heavy amounts of rosemary; a good note for the aroma. The scent of honey was there, but definitely masked by the rosemary. I picked very light lemon notes, but not enough to really stand out.

Taste- I was very conflicted with the taste. While there was nothing awful or wrong with the beer, there was nothing too special. The rosemary was a nice feature which I appreciated, but it was not blended well. I found myself tasting a shit ton of rosemary and a faint aftertaste of beer. The honey was almost non-existent in the taste, which is a damn shame. The lemon I smelled? Gone too. I liked the taste, but it tasted more like an herbal tea than beer to me.

Mouthfeel- I cannot complain or compliment too much here. The beer has a VERY slightly gritty mouthfeel and a pleasant after taste. The rosemary lingers for a while.

Overall- I give kudos for the concept. Truly unlike anything I have had before. I think this beer could be a fantastic one if the flavors were balanced out a little more equally. Rosemary stole the show here. Would I buy this again? Maybe. Would I recommend people try this one? Absolutely.

Erich

02-03-2014 08:40:28 | More by Erex91
Jetulio

3.21/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

330 ml. bottle poured into a Pint glass

Appearance... Amber hazy beer with head colour white of 1.5 finger aprox

Aroma... rosemary, honey and yeast . malty aroma with predominance of honey touch

Taste... Rosemary and malt notes overwhelming hop presence, touch of bitterness is missed.

Mouthfeel... medium/full body and soft carbonation

Overall... a very recomendable winter ale, in my opinion with hops touch in the end could be amazing, but it is a nice ale.

12-13-2013 18:23:23 | More by Jetulio
corby112

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very cloudy, dark golden orange color with tangerine colored edges and a one finger white head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Decent retention with spotty lacing left behind. Visible carbonation bubbling up as well.

Earthy aroma with grassy hops, ester-y yeast and a prominent rosemary/herbal character. The hops are slightly stale in the nose with a dirt/soil like quality. There's also hints of grass and pine followed by bread and light fruit. I'm not picking up honey at all but the rosemary stands out and smells really fresh. Pale biscuit malts underneath.

Medium bodied, crisp and refreshing. More complex and interesting than the aroma suggests. Soft carbonation with some earthy hop bitterness up front nicely complimenting the herbal rosemary flavor. Again, the rosemary is very fresh and a prominent ingredient but it doesn't completely overpower the other notes. Sweeter than expected, possibly from the honey and light fruit esters. Pale malt backbone with biscuit, cracker and bready yeast along with some apple, pear and vinous sweetness. I didn't expect much after the somewhat bland aroma but found this to be a solid beer that's well balanced, light and flavorful.

11-22-2013 05:58:52 | More by corby112
Suds

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Interesting beer. From a s,all, champagne like bottle, the beer pours a honey colored, very effervescent (gusher) liquid. Nice head and slight haze. The smell is phenomenal. Rosemary really stands out. Fresh, shrub/tree, outdoorsy, perfume aromas...not beer like, but amazing. The taste is similar, but the honey begins to stand out with a sweetness and flavor. Medium body. Very interesting beer.

10-05-2013 00:56:47 | More by Suds
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle, just delivered to my store today. Poured into a Game Of Thrones tulip.

AP: Upon opening the bottle, it began to fizz like a volcano out the top. Pouring it into the glass seemed to alleviate the issue and it poured rather nicely into the glass. A solid 1" foamy white head sat on top of a dark amber honey coloured liquid. Head fizzled down to 1/8" with moderate lacing on the sides. It's a nice solid colour and on the hazy side giving the impression of thicker body. Looks pretty appetizing.
AR: Smells like honey. I'm not talking about a Mead, I'm talking honey. Like open up a jar and stick your nose in it honey. Honey and bread is what it reminds me of for those of you who have just slathered a slice of bread with honey to eat, this is what this beer smells like. I get a faint bit of the rosemary, I know what it smells like since I cook with it usually when making pasta. There's some white grape in the background, sort of wine-like. I'm not getting much else out of this, but what's there smells pretty good.
T: The honey isn't near as prominent in the taste. It's there, but more subtle. Primary flavour is like crackers, scones and baguette. There's a hint of caramel and orange as well with pear and white grape to accompany the honey note. On the finish you get a firm but short lived kiss of the rosemary which is a nice touch. The rosemary only lingers on the palate for a few moments before it fades.
M: Despite the volcanic erupt upon opening, I only found this beer moderately carbonated. Body was medium with a nice creamy mouthfeel and after the rosemary faded it left a slightly dry cleansing finish.
OV: I really enjoy this beer. It has a nice flavour and would be a great food beer. The body and mouthfeel were very good, it's rather easy drinking and pretty smooth. If you don't like rosemary this beer wouldn't be for you. I think it adds a great bit of depth to the flavours. This would be a great beer to take to a Spanish or Mediterranean restaurant, luckily I have a good one only 10 minutes away.

10-01-2013 03:35:25 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
TheAlamoWrocker

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed September 21, 2013 at 1347. Poured 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Nice cloudy golden body. The head quickly disappears, but leaves nice marks of the glass. The head holds a nice creamy top for while it stands. Sediment lays on the bottom.

S: The aroma is just sweet malts all the way from start to finish.

T: Malty beer with slight spice taste throughout. Mild yeast taste throughout.
As this beer warms, so does the taste. Spicy yeast comes strong. Bitterness lingers of the tongue as it warms.

M: The lasting head makes this beer nice and creamy. Medium light body though.

O: This is a beer that should be served at 50F for most of its flavor. I have no clue why this beer has a high rating though. It seems as if people saw the label and convinced themselves that was what they were supposed to expect. This is an easy pass. It did look pretty in a glass though.

09-21-2013 18:50:05 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
metter98

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is hazy very dark pale yellowish amber in color. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down and consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: Strong aromas of rosemary are present in the nose - almost as if you crushed a couple of sprigs of rosemary in your hands and held them up to your nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the rosemary flavors aren't nearly as intense and there are also some hints of honey.
M: It feels a bit shy of being medium-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a really interesting beer to try if you like rosemary as it packs in lots of aromas and flavors yet is still very drinkable. I could definitely see this as a good beer to pair with food.

07-28-2013 17:08:24 | More by metter98
janubio

4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. bottle. Pours a small head that fades soon, but there's a lace all the time until you finish. Sediments are cre clearly visible. Smells like walking through a forest: pine, rosemary, lavender, eucalyptus... Fresh and creamy palate, dry finish and taste again of forest, rosemary dominates but with notes of almost of the plants you can think. Exceptional, IMO.

07-13-2013 13:48:21 | More by janubio
jozols1

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%

A = Honey-colored with wispy white lace. The lacing's light, but it clings to the sides of the glass.

S = Like a mountain meadow -- with rosemary plants.

T = The rosemary's there, but it's not overpowering. (My husband doesn't like rosemary and he likes this beer.) He says it tastes like a cousin of the French farmhouse ale. No bitterness. Lots of floral undertones and spicy finish. Hint of yeast and mustiness.

M = Dry and slightly carbonated, almost tingly.

Light and easy to drink. It might be overpowered if it was paired with a meal, but it's a nice after-dinner drink before bed.

Easily the best beer I've ever tasted from Spain. Though that's not saying much.

05-10-2013 01:15:49 | More by jozols1
Prince_Casual

District of Columbia

3.44/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured into std issue total wine belgian glass... love the deep orange color, 1 finger head, got a nice bit of lacing. Ton of sediment! I was not really paying attention to my pour and turned the bottle bottom side up, oh well.

S: Ok so I have lavender soap from Whole Foods in my shower these days... that's pretty much all I'm getting, that herbal glycerin soap smell. This is obviously something I'm not opposed to. I guess was hoping for something a little bit more than walking through a Bath and Body Works store at the mall, like some baking spices, but I'd say this is a reasonable experience thus far.

T: Now I'm feeling like this is much like an herbal tea with some honey, which is something I enjoy before bed every so often. Very enjoyable.

M: I'm used to beers that smell like this being more in the Saison arena, and thus that insanely carbonated experience. Somehow this makes the taste and experience of drinking this beer a little more stagnant in my mouth. It's good but I think if it was sizzling more on the palette, I'd be enjoying it even more.

O: I like this beer. I'd drink it again, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone not well versed in Saisons.

04-06-2013 03:42:25 | More by Prince_Casual
n2185

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a slightly hazy orange with a finger of white head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: rosemary dominates with notes of honey and lavender. Smells like a bouquet.

T: rosemary and honey here as well with crystal malts and hints of yeast.

M: medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer could use more carbonation, but avoids being watery.

O: a decent beer overall. Very floral in aroma and flavor, and simple, but still enjoyable.

01-18-2013 06:22:57 | More by n2185
txbrewer

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

A - clouded gold/orange with a white head that did not fade out right away (lasted to the end of my glass). The lacing was thin but what showed up stayed with the glass.

S - sweeter ale with some earthy notes from the rosemary honey. Nothing overpowered as this was well balanced.

T - Sweet honey notes just over the ale flavor. The hops do not stand out at all but instead support the flavor.

M - mild carbonation lets me enjoy this without excessive bubbly. Numerous beers should take note of this. The balance of the malt with the hops with the honey is good. It is not jumping around rather flowing through and nicely so.

D - Yes, yes and yes. This is one to figure out how to make around here and see what we come up with.

08-12-2012 20:21:46 | More by txbrewer