La Socarrada - La Socarrada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa

La SocarradaLa Socarrada

La Socarrada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa visit their website
Spain

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

American Golden Ale brewed with rosemary and rosemary honey.

10-19 IBU

(Beer added by: txbrewer on 08-12-2012)
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed September 21, 2013 at 1347. Poured 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Nice cloudy golden body. The head quickly disappears, but leaves nice marks of the glass. The head holds a nice creamy top for while it stands. Sediment lays on the bottom.

S: The aroma is just sweet malts all the way from start to finish.

T: Malty beer with slight spice taste throughout. Mild yeast taste throughout.
As this beer warms, so does the taste. Spicy yeast comes strong. Bitterness lingers of the tongue as it warms.

M: The lasting head makes this beer nice and creamy. Medium light body though.

O: This is a beer that should be served at 50F for most of its flavor. I have no clue why this beer has a high rating though. It seems as if people saw the label and convinced themselves that was what they were supposed to expect. This is an easy pass. It did look pretty in a glass though.

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 21A). Bottle 33 cl - batch L020216. AROMA: very interesting subtle rosemary aroma mixed with a sweet honey and malt profile. slight DMS present. Very faint hop aromas. APPEARANCE: golden orange color with particles in suspension. thin ivory head with low retention. TASTE: unbalanced rosemary flavours that overpower the base beer style. very low bitterness and very faint malt and honey flavours. very low esters. finishes medium-dry with some astringency. PALATE: thin body with low carbonation and some astringency. OVERALL: a nice and inventive approach to a spice/herb beer that lacks a bit more of balance between the herbs and the base ale.

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

330 ml. bottle poured into a Pint glass

Appearance... Amber hazy beer with head colour white of 1.5 finger aprox

Aroma... rosemary, honey and yeast . malty aroma with predominance of honey touch

Taste... Rosemary and malt notes overwhelming hop presence, touch of bitterness is missed.

Mouthfeel... medium/full body and soft carbonation

Overall... a very recomendable winter ale, in my opinion with hops touch in the end could be amazing, but it is a nice ale.

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a slightly hazy orange with a finger of white head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: rosemary dominates with notes of honey and lavender. Smells like a bouquet.

T: rosemary and honey here as well with crystal malts and hints of yeast.

M: medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer could use more carbonation, but avoids being watery.

O: a decent beer overall. Very floral in aroma and flavor, and simple, but still enjoyable.

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured into std issue total wine belgian glass... love the deep orange color, 1 finger head, got a nice bit of lacing. Ton of sediment! I was not really paying attention to my pour and turned the bottle bottom side up, oh well.

S: Ok so I have lavender soap from Whole Foods in my shower these days... that's pretty much all I'm getting, that herbal glycerin soap smell. This is obviously something I'm not opposed to. I guess was hoping for something a little bit more than walking through a Bath and Body Works store at the mall, like some baking spices, but I'd say this is a reasonable experience thus far.

T: Now I'm feeling like this is much like an herbal tea with some honey, which is something I enjoy before bed every so often. Very enjoyable.

M: I'm used to beers that smell like this being more in the Saison arena, and thus that insanely carbonated experience. Somehow this makes the taste and experience of drinking this beer a little more stagnant in my mouth. It's good but I think if it was sizzling more on the palette, I'd be enjoying it even more.

O: I like this beer. I'd drink it again, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone not well versed in Saisons.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance- Light hazy wheat coloration. Not all that bad looking. A HUGE head on this one. I am unsure if that is just the beer or if my bottle was shaken up before purchase (first time buying beer at Hubble and Hudson). The head kept its volume quite well throughout the entire tasting. Definitely some sediment in this one. Black specs that I am going to assume are rosemary.

Smell- This was my favorite part of the beer. Very strong hints of rosemary invade the nose on this. I was reminded of a type of chicken that my dad and I smoke using heavy amounts of rosemary; a good note for the aroma. The scent of honey was there, but definitely masked by the rosemary. I picked very light lemon notes, but not enough to really stand out.

Taste- I was very conflicted with the taste. While there was nothing awful or wrong with the beer, there was nothing too special. The rosemary was a nice feature which I appreciated, but it was not blended well. I found myself tasting a shit ton of rosemary and a faint aftertaste of beer. The honey was almost non-existent in the taste, which is a damn shame. The lemon I smelled? Gone too. I liked the taste, but it tasted more like an herbal tea than beer to me.

Mouthfeel- I cannot complain or compliment too much here. The beer has a VERY slightly gritty mouthfeel and a pleasant after taste. The rosemary lingers for a while.

Overall- I give kudos for the concept. Truly unlike anything I have had before. I think this beer could be a fantastic one if the flavors were balanced out a little more equally. Rosemary stole the show here. Would I buy this again? Maybe. Would I recommend people try this one? Absolutely.

Erich

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

33cl bottle dated Best By Feb. 2015 served in a snifter.

Pours hazy, medium copper-amber with a moderately thick, bone-colored head that has excellent retention. Some solids detract from the appearance.

Aroma: unusual spicy aroma with a clear note of rosemary.

Flavor: Spicy with rosemary, some ginger, and a hint of white pepper. Although i don't like rosemary very much, the mix of flavors here works fiarly well, albeit with a bit more rosemary than desired. Lightly sweet and modestly refreshing, with a lingering spicy aftertaste featuring ginger.

Feel: excellent soft feel with a semi-dry finish.

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very cloudy, dark golden orange color with tangerine colored edges and a one finger white head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Decent retention with spotty lacing left behind. Visible carbonation bubbling up as well.

Earthy aroma with grassy hops, ester-y yeast and a prominent rosemary/herbal character. The hops are slightly stale in the nose with a dirt/soil like quality. There's also hints of grass and pine followed by bread and light fruit. I'm not picking up honey at all but the rosemary stands out and smells really fresh. Pale biscuit malts underneath.

Medium bodied, crisp and refreshing. More complex and interesting than the aroma suggests. Soft carbonation with some earthy hop bitterness up front nicely complimenting the herbal rosemary flavor. Again, the rosemary is very fresh and a prominent ingredient but it doesn't completely overpower the other notes. Sweeter than expected, possibly from the honey and light fruit esters. Pale malt backbone with biscuit, cracker and bready yeast along with some apple, pear and vinous sweetness. I didn't expect much after the somewhat bland aroma but found this to be a solid beer that's well balanced, light and flavorful.

La Socarrada from La Socarrada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa