Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

North 45 Amber Ale - Petoskey Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: speedvagen on 08-02-2013

Reviews by JVoyager:

3.19/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

L: brilliant amber chestnut, 2” foam cap, dissipates to ½” good lace, cap has a faint tan tint.
S: biscuit, sour, earthy hop
T: On the palate there is the lightest hint of chocolate with light caramel and then it dries out with traces of chalk – very faint – and a pleasant hop accent that lingers with a slight tartness in the finish. There is a subtle nuttiness in there. Just a shade of roast going on.
F: A superbly creamy beer with medium body and fine soft carbonation.
O:The chalkiness is a little off-putting and the flavor a little ho hum but the texture is divine.

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a can of Petoskey Brewing Company's North 45 Amber Ale a couple days ago for $2.45 at Boyne Country Provisions. I have only tried one beer from Petoskey Brewing Company and I thought it was a solid IPA so I thought I would try a couple more of there brews and I thought I would start off with their Amber Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice and it has a very similar design as their IPA can did, but with an amber background. It poured a dark crimson color that took on a ruby red/ crimson color when held to the light with three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin clumpy layer that stayed till the end and left lots of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness follow by loads of malts that impart a grainy, bready, and stale malt like aroma with a slight cardboard aroma in the background. I get a light amount of hops that have a soapy like aroma to them and there's some fruity yeast showing up in the background. This beer didn't have a great aroma, it wasn't appealing.

T- the taste seems to be seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a grainy, bread crust and slight caramel malt like flavors with some toasted malt like flavor sticking out the most. Up next comes a little bit of that fruity yeast followed by earthy, herbal, and slightly soapy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that lingers a little with a toasted malt aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it was pretty average as far as the style goes.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty mediocre beer and a very average example of the style, it was going in the right direction but I thought it was just too rough around the edges and some of the flavors and aromas didn't come together as well as they could have. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one pint can is enough for me, I don't have the urge to drink another. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't that great and I think there's just too many off aspects. I don't think I would get this beer, it was nice to try, but it's not the type of Amber Ale that I would regularly buy. I don't think I would recommend this as a good Amber Ale. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, their IPA proved to fairly solid, but this had that first home brew type taste to it, that may just be from them getting used to their brewing system but it doesn't make for a memorable beer. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me. So far this is my least favorite beer from Petoskey Brewing Company.

3.34/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16oz can:

A: lovely mahogany colored, average to slightly below average head with minimal lacing
S: average smell, nothing stands out, just a nice, even, malty amber
T: average taste, reminds you of a fall day, deep malts, minimal hop influence...a nice amber
M: this is this beer's shining moment, the mouthfeel is exquisite, warm, smooth, velvety even...just about as perfect as a strong amber can hope to be...

honestly, if the rest of the beer could could hold a candle to the mouthfeel, it would earn top marks. As is, it slots nicely into the above average category, with only the mouthfeel screaming to be experienced

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

3.84/5  rDev +20%

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

North 45 Amber Ale from Petoskey Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.