Hauenstein - New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

HauensteinHauenstein

good

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 02-24-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Donkster46, Sep 13, 2014

budgood1, Aug 24, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

jjunit, Jul 24, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Mheider, Jun 29, 2014
4.12/5  rDev +12%

A piece of brew from New Ulm in snow country usa. Independent brewery. Just visit their website, it's heart warming. First time I had one out of the box I immediately went back and bought another 12 pack. You know, in case the store burned down and I couldn't get more. $10/12 pack bottles = very affordable. I also picked up a 6-er of Hamms which this beer utterly smokes.

Appearance (3) : sudsy white 2 finger head. Nice work. It recedes quick but it's pretty to look at.

Smell (3.5) : well-done toast, dark grain, fresh wheat and cilantro. Hint of lemon/orange sweetness.

Taste (5) : This is what beer is supposed to taste like. At least, in lager form. Absolute perfection. I dare you to find an american lager priced this cheap that tastes better than this swill. Beautiful, fresh wheat, hints of corn and just a little adjunct, but smooth as a baby's hind end. I've had a couple that have tasted off, so I'm not sure if their quality control is 100% - after all, they are a small, small brewery that brews ONLY this beer. I'm sure their staff is less than a dozen people. If you buy a 12 pack of bottles you're bound to find 90% of them absolutely unforgettable...

Mouthfeel (4) : carbonated and crisp. Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

Overall (4.12) : The hops are so well balanced with the malt it's almost a crime. You don't find hop flavor in american lager, and when you do, it's certainly not balanced like this. My friends died when I brought this beer over for a camp fire. The conversation immediately went from town hall discussions to "where in the hell did you find this beer? And where can I get some? Like tomorrow?". They were happy. I was happy. Hauenstein makes people happy. Just try it.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, May 17, 2014

KevinBrau, Sep 22, 2013

sparx1100, Jul 28, 2013

jera1350, Jul 19, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -1.9%

Hauenstein Beer. The name says it all, beer. That's what this is, classic adjunct lager in all it's, ahem, glory. Pours a clear how the fuck should I know, drank it from the bottle. I'm sure it's clear as a bell and yellow, as it should be. Smells like basic brewers malted barely and corn. Clean. Taste is sweat, corny and lightly bready, again, clean. No hop character to speak of. Look, as far as adjunct laden lager goes, this one is really good.

mjryan, Jul 13, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

morimech, Mar 17, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a fizzy yellow with a thick white head that doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is milled grain, something like mineral alcohol, a little pondwater. The taste has a slight mineral tang, with corny sweetness and a mild hop bitterness. It's fizzy and clean to the palate. A decent beer - would've liked it better, probably, on a hot summer day.

gory4d, Dec 11, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

garymuchow, Oct 19, 2012

Chucker17, Oct 12, 2012

pisomojado8, May 21, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Ladies and Gentlemen....I have found my White Buffalo.

Been wanting to try this storied label for years and finally saw it while in St. Cloud. Not cheap for a Macro style beer but well worth it. After opening up the 12 pack of bottles the label looked familiar and I remember distributing this when I was in college working at a local beer distributor in the 80's and this at that time was a cheap off brand.

A-I'll call it gold..clear...little head...

S-The smell is different for this style and has almost a banana bread scent ...very sweet and sticky smelling...I like..

T-Pretty sweet for this style...bet the corn bill is high in this one....maybe that is what gives off the sticky sweet aroma.

M-For as sweet and corny as this tastes it is also pretty clean and smooth drinking.

O-This is really sliding down nicely. A nice sweeter style American Adjunct Lager with more flavor than almost all in this style. Totally different animal than Premium which I expected.

Ratings per style...

ZAP, Feb 18, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -43.5%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

mikesgroove, Dec 04, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Dec 03, 2011

icefisherman, Nov 18, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pale straw colored body with good carbonation and small light head. What is expected from an AAL; nothing more, nothing less. Nevertheless a good representation of the style's appearance.

Smell: Sweet, semi-corny but mostly that crisp dry smell that is characteristic of the style.

Taste: Slightly sweet up front with a small amount of bitterness towards the end. (this of course is for comparison among all other AAL's tried) Quality malts give way for a very impressive, light beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Probably one of best examples of the definition of refreshing in any beer. Very smooth and clean.

Overall: Since I review to style, I view this beer as a perfect example of the style. It has always been a favorite of mine and I'm definitely privileged to have family in distribution range of this brew. The history alone of this beer and Schells would make anyone interested in a bottle. A truly cherished and hidden gem of MN.

brewdub17, Jul 06, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

tone77, Jun 18, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Straw color with a bright white 2 finger head which fades fairly quick, leaving a thin disc of foam on top. The aroma has hops, grain, yeast, and is somewhat sweet.

The beer tastes just like it smells. It is somewhat sweet, with hops, grain, and yeast. Also tastes like there is a light amount of banana flavor. Nice balance from the hop bitterness.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink. Very smooth. I look for this beer in cans or bottles when I visit New Ulm. One of my go to lagers.

hardy008, Jun 18, 2011

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

woodychandler, Jun 13, 2011