Hauenstein - New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

HauensteinHauenstein

good

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 02-24-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by afinepilsner:

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

A piece of brew from New Ulm in snow country usa. Independent brewery. Just visit their website, it's heart warming. First time I had one out of the box I immediately went back and bought another 12 pack. You know, in case the store burned down and I couldn't get more. $10/12 pack bottles = very affordable. I also picked up a 6-er of Hamms which this beer utterly smokes.

Appearance (3) : sudsy white 2 finger head. Nice work. It recedes quick but it's pretty to look at.

Smell (3.5) : well-done toast, dark grain, fresh wheat and cilantro. Hint of lemon/orange sweetness.

Taste (5) : This is what beer is supposed to taste like. At least, in lager form. Absolute perfection. I dare you to find an american lager priced this cheap that tastes better than this swill. Beautiful, fresh wheat, hints of corn and just a little adjunct, but smooth as a baby's hind end. I've had a couple that have tasted off, so I'm not sure if their quality control is 100% - after all, they are a small, small brewery that brews ONLY this beer. I'm sure their staff is less than a dozen people. If you buy a 12 pack of bottles you're bound to find 90% of them absolutely unforgettable...

Mouthfeel (4) : carbonated and crisp. Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

Overall (4.12) : The hops are so well balanced with the malt it's almost a crime. You don't find hop flavor in american lager, and when you do, it's certainly not balanced like this. My friends died when I brought this beer over for a camp fire. The conversation immediately went from town hall discussions to "where in the hell did you find this beer? And where can I get some? Like tomorrow?". They were happy. I was happy. Hauenstein makes people happy. Just try it.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Pale straw colored body with good carbonation and small light head. What is expected from an AAL; nothing more, nothing less. Nevertheless a good representation of the style's appearance.

Smell: Sweet, semi-corny but mostly that crisp dry smell that is characteristic of the style.

Taste: Slightly sweet up front with a small amount of bitterness towards the end. (this of course is for comparison among all other AAL's tried) Quality malts give way for a very impressive, light beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Probably one of best examples of the definition of refreshing in any beer. Very smooth and clean.

Overall: Since I review to style, I view this beer as a perfect example of the style. It has always been a favorite of mine and I'm definitely privileged to have family in distribution range of this brew. The history alone of this beer and Schells would make anyone interested in a bottle. A truly cherished and hidden gem of MN.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

This is a solid local adjunct lager. Nothing outrageously special but in the style it holds its own. I can just picture a farmer from New Ulm tillin' up his land with a can of Hauenstein balancing on his stomach.

It pours a typical fizzy yellow with a diminutive head and zero lacing. About average for the style. Pretty complex nose for an adjunct- some hops come through as well as grain and a touch of citrus goodness. Taste follows suit. Mouthfeel is average.

As a college student this was my go-to brew and I've always really enjoyed it. Great label, good beer- simple and unpretentious. Get some.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

If you love lagers and want a good one,look no further than Hauenstein. It literal german translation is "striking rock" and this is a beer which definitely rocks.Its got a cool little mascot too.

Schells doesn't just repackage their Deer Brand (or any other formula) into Hauenstein bottles,this is brewed from the old recipe.I won't go into the subtleties of taste,just know that this is a darn good beer,and is worth seeking out.

If you are in the New Ulm area,find some.You won't be disappointed!

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz. brown returnable bottle (the case states their motto "A Beer with a Little Character"). Cap features a small German-looking character cutting stone.
Pale straw color, with a small white head. Smells pungently of yeast, wheat, bread, and cotton candy. This nearing my 20th bottle of this case, so I have developed a taste for this beer's strong and unique flavor. Tastes very strongly of wheat and yeast. This tastes almost like a hefe-weizen. Taste is smooth and grainy, with hints of banana included. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but somehow full in it's robust flavor. This one took me a couple bottles before I started to accept it. It is a really cheap beer, $12 for a case of returnable bottles. Give it a shot if you are ever in this beer's tiny distribution area, Southern Minnesota (as far as I know).

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

Hauenstein Beer was a throw-away beer when I was in high school.
How things change! This is a fantastic local beer. Now I had it in the returnable bottle, which was excellent...it must be even better on tap. Schell's Brewery brews this on contract

Summertime out on the lake or at the BBQ this beer fills the bill.
Straw colored nice one finger head...this beer has a faint corn taste. The surprise comes with the finish strong and clean w/o any lingering funk. Very drinkable!

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer pours a clear golden-straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, toffee, and hints of darks fruits and butter. The taste has all the subtleties and nuances of the aroma, but they are all a bit stronger. The mouthfeel is appropriately light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is the best American Macro Lager I have had by far. I could easily drink this again.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into Bud American Ale pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger white fizzy head that fades quickly. Color is a clear light straw yellow. No lace either. Nothing to fancy going on so far.

Aroma: Grains, citrus hops, some bananas and cloves. Very interesting for an adjunct lager. It reminds me of a dulled down Schells Hefe. I could be way off here, but I think this is pretty interesting and I dig it.

Taste: Grains come out first, but then I get get the clove and banana flavor as well. The hops are dulled down here but the taste is very unique for an adjunct lager. It definitely tastes like the category, but it has some added flavors to it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and a little smooth over the palate. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky grain flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I can see why this adjunct is rated higher than most. I am not being biased in my review, and this beer simply has got a lot more flavor going on with it. It fits the style well, but has a bonus with it. Definitely worth a try if lagers are your thing. Very drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge thanks to bwiechmann for this as an extra. Been wanting to try a good AAL to see whats up with the style.

Pours pale yellow with a huge white head. Leaves lacing down the glass.

Smells like light cereal grains and the lager twang. Its good for the style.

Taste is light with cereal grains. Twang is there but its pretty good. No metallic taste to speak of, which is nice cause the style usually has that.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. About right for the style.

Drinkability is good, very drinkable, could have a few of these at a time.

Not my favorite, but glad I tried, and enjoyed it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »