Hauenstein - New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

HauensteinHauenstein

good

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 02-24-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by icefisherman:
icefisherman

11-18-2011 06:52:09 | More by icefisherman
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

12-03-2011 21:26:30 | More by

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

07-23-2014 23:08:41 | More by jjunit
morimech

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

03-17-2013 18:54:18 | More by morimech
tone77

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

06-18-2011 15:29:17 | More by tone77
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.08/5  rDev -43.5%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

12-04-2011 06:12:54 | More by mikesgroove
bwiechmann

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a solid local adjunct lager. Nothing outrageously special but in the style it holds its own. I can just picture a farmer from New Ulm tillin' up his land with a can of Hauenstein balancing on his stomach.

It pours a typical fizzy yellow with a diminutive head and zero lacing. About average for the style. Pretty complex nose for an adjunct- some hops come through as well as grain and a touch of citrus goodness. Taste follows suit. Mouthfeel is average.

As a college student this was my go-to brew and I've always really enjoyed it. Great label, good beer- simple and unpretentious. Get some.

09-09-2010 19:31:17 | More by bwiechmann
brewseum

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

If you love lagers and want a good one,look no further than Hauenstein. It literal german translation is "striking rock" and this is a beer which definitely rocks.Its got a cool little mascot too.

Schells doesn't just repackage their Deer Brand (or any other formula) into Hauenstein bottles,this is brewed from the old recipe.I won't go into the subtleties of taste,just know that this is a darn good beer,and is worth seeking out.

If you are in the New Ulm area,find some.You won't be disappointed!

12-14-2009 18:51:59 | More by brewseum
woodychandler

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

06-13-2011 22:28:16 | More by woodychandler
TastyTaste

3.35/5  rDev -9%

12 oz. brown returnable bottle (the case states their motto "A Beer with a Little Character"). Cap features a small German-looking character cutting stone.
Pale straw color, with a small white head. Smells pungently of yeast, wheat, bread, and cotton candy. This nearing my 20th bottle of this case, so I have developed a taste for this beer's strong and unique flavor. Tastes very strongly of wheat and yeast. This tastes almost like a hefe-weizen. Taste is smooth and grainy, with hints of banana included. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but somehow full in it's robust flavor. This one took me a couple bottles before I started to accept it. It is a really cheap beer, $12 for a case of returnable bottles. Give it a shot if you are ever in this beer's tiny distribution area, Southern Minnesota (as far as I know).

02-24-2004 20:17:10 | More by TastyTaste
livin014

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Hauenstein Beer was a throw-away beer when I was in high school.
How things change! This is a fantastic local beer. Now I had it in the returnable bottle, which was excellent...it must be even better on tap. Schell's Brewery brews this on contract

Summertime out on the lake or at the BBQ this beer fills the bill.
Straw colored nice one finger head...this beer has a faint corn taste. The surprise comes with the finish strong and clean w/o any lingering funk. Very drinkable!

03-24-2006 17:21:20 | More by livin014
The-Adjunct-Hippie

South Dakota

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

A piece of brew from New Ulm in snow country usa. First time I had one out of the box I immediately went back and bought another 12 pack. You know, in case the store burned down and I couldn't get more. $10/12 pack bottles = very affordable. I also picked up a 6-er of Hamms which this beer utterly smokes.

Appearance - sudsy white 1-finger head that fully recedes within a minute or so.

Smell - dark toast. Flowers. Copper and coffee beans. Mildewy grain. Bitterness in the smell. Can really be compared to Leinenkugels Original.

Taste - robust, mild bitterness paired with a light sweetness - unfortunately mixed with sucking on a copper penny. Always refreshing and full of great flavor, though. One of my favorites. Goes down smooth. "Outstanding".

Mouthfeel - carbonated and crisp. Finishes syrupy and bitter, mildly dry. Still a smooth drinker.

Overall it's a pleasant beer on a hot and muggy day or an evening in a cool, cozy house. Anyone who had not tried a Hauenstein owes it to themselves to try it. My friends are now fans of this beer, as am I. I've been able to find this for sale for $10/12 pack, sometimes more in other places. At any decent price you would owe it to yourself to pick a box up. Impressive.

For what it is, it's a good beer. More sophisticated and flavorful than any B/M/C lagers and it's cheaper to boot.

05-17-2014 06:37:38 | More by The-Adjunct-Hippie
sparx1100

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

07-28-2013 02:37:52 | More by sparx1100
KarlHungus

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer pours a clear golden-straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, toffee, and hints of darks fruits and butter. The taste has all the subtleties and nuances of the aroma, but they are all a bit stronger. The mouthfeel is appropriately light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is the best American Macro Lager I have had by far. I could easily drink this again.

09-24-2008 20:06:49 | More by KarlHungus
garymuchow

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

10-19-2012 12:47:49 | More by garymuchow

11-03-2013 22:53:05 | More by afinepilsner
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Poured into Bud American Ale pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger white fizzy head that fades quickly. Color is a clear light straw yellow. No lace either. Nothing to fancy going on so far.

Aroma: Grains, citrus hops, some bananas and cloves. Very interesting for an adjunct lager. It reminds me of a dulled down Schells Hefe. I could be way off here, but I think this is pretty interesting and I dig it.

Taste: Grains come out first, but then I get get the clove and banana flavor as well. The hops are dulled down here but the taste is very unique for an adjunct lager. It definitely tastes like the category, but it has some added flavors to it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and a little smooth over the palate. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky grain flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I can see why this adjunct is rated higher than most. I am not being biased in my review, and this beer simply has got a lot more flavor going on with it. It fits the style well, but has a bonus with it. Definitely worth a try if lagers are your thing. Very drinkable.

10-01-2009 04:35:20 | More by mothman
bs870621345

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Huge thanks to bwiechmann for this as an extra. Been wanting to try a good AAL to see whats up with the style.

Pours pale yellow with a huge white head. Leaves lacing down the glass.

Smells like light cereal grains and the lager twang. Its good for the style.

Taste is light with cereal grains. Twang is there but its pretty good. No metallic taste to speak of, which is nice cause the style usually has that.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. About right for the style.

Drinkability is good, very drinkable, could have a few of these at a time.

Not my favorite, but glad I tried, and enjoyed it.

01-22-2011 00:45:35 | More by bs870621345
ZAP

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Ladies and Gentlemen....I have found my White Buffalo.

Been wanting to try this storied label for years and finally saw it while in St. Cloud. Not cheap for a Macro style beer but well worth it. After opening up the 12 pack of bottles the label looked familiar and I remember distributing this when I was in college working at a local beer distributor in the 80's and this at that time was a cheap off brand.

A-I'll call it gold..clear...little head...

S-The smell is different for this style and has almost a banana bread scent ...very sweet and sticky smelling...I like..

T-Pretty sweet for this style...bet the corn bill is high in this one....maybe that is what gives off the sticky sweet aroma.

M-For as sweet and corny as this tastes it is also pretty clean and smooth drinking.

O-This is really sliding down nicely. A nice sweeter style American Adjunct Lager with more flavor than almost all in this style. Totally different animal than Premium which I expected.

Ratings per style...

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

09-22-2013 18:22:01 | More by KevinBrau
mjryan

3.61/5  rDev -1.9%

Hauenstein Beer. The name says it all, beer. That's what this is, classic adjunct lager in all it's, ahem, glory. Pours a clear how the fuck should I know, drank it from the bottle. I'm sure it's clear as a bell and yellow, as it should be. Smells like basic brewers malted barely and corn. Clean. Taste is sweat, corny and lightly bready, again, clean. No hop character to speak of. Look, as far as adjunct laden lager goes, this one is really good.

07-13-2013 01:45:42 | More by mjryan
lwillitz

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Living 30 miles from New Ulm, I have encountered this beer several times.

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - It pours golden yellow with a 1-finger white head. Try not to blink, or you might miss the head; it fades rather quickly. Lacing is minimal. All in all, not much for looks.

S - mostly light grains; some hoppy bitterness

T - This is not exactly my style of beer. The taste is not bad, but not great. The smell was a good indication--grainy with a fair amount of bitterness. Quite refreshing.

M - decent mouthfeel; good carbonation

D - goes down pretty well

I would probably not buy this. In fact, I've never bought a Hauenstein. I only drink it when friends offer it to me. If you want an ok lager for a low price, Hauenstein is the way to go. If you have a few more bucks to spend, New Ulm produces many better options.

03-03-2011 03:41:21 | More by lwillitz