Hauenstein - New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

HauensteinHauenstein

good

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 02-24-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into Bud American Ale pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger white fizzy head that fades quickly. Color is a clear light straw yellow. No lace either. Nothing to fancy going on so far.

Aroma: Grains, citrus hops, some bananas and cloves. Very interesting for an adjunct lager. It reminds me of a dulled down Schells Hefe. I could be way off here, but I think this is pretty interesting and I dig it.

Taste: Grains come out first, but then I get get the clove and banana flavor as well. The hops are dulled down here but the taste is very unique for an adjunct lager. It definitely tastes like the category, but it has some added flavors to it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and a little smooth over the palate. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky grain flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I can see why this adjunct is rated higher than most. I am not being biased in my review, and this beer simply has got a lot more flavor going on with it. It fits the style well, but has a bonus with it. Definitely worth a try if lagers are your thing. Very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting bottle from Mothman (thanks Ben). The label looks old school, like I imagine a beer looking in the 50's or 60's. The beer is clear and pale golden colored, thin wet foam, classic lager. The aroma is muted, neutral but leaning towards malts. A hint of bavaria but also a hint of midwestern corn. The taste is also understated malt, not too different from Budweiser if memory serves. Very drinkable as it should be, pretty damn tasty for the style and much appreciated.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Ladies and Gentlemen....I have found my White Buffalo.

Been wanting to try this storied label for years and finally saw it while in St. Cloud. Not cheap for a Macro style beer but well worth it. After opening up the 12 pack of bottles the label looked familiar and I remember distributing this when I was in college working at a local beer distributor in the 80's and this at that time was a cheap off brand.

A-I'll call it gold..clear...little head...

S-The smell is different for this style and has almost a banana bread scent ...very sweet and sticky smelling...I like..

T-Pretty sweet for this style...bet the corn bill is high in this one....maybe that is what gives off the sticky sweet aroma.

M-For as sweet and corny as this tastes it is also pretty clean and smooth drinking.

O-This is really sliding down nicely. A nice sweeter style American Adjunct Lager with more flavor than almost all in this style. Totally different animal than Premium which I expected.

Ratings per style...

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer pours a clear golden-straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, toffee, and hints of darks fruits and butter. The taste has all the subtleties and nuances of the aroma, but they are all a bit stronger. The mouthfeel is appropriately light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is the best American Macro Lager I have had by far. I could easily drink this again.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz. brown returnable bottle (the case states their motto "A Beer with a Little Character"). Cap features a small German-looking character cutting stone.
Pale straw color, with a small white head. Smells pungently of yeast, wheat, bread, and cotton candy. This nearing my 20th bottle of this case, so I have developed a taste for this beer's strong and unique flavor. Tastes very strongly of wheat and yeast. This tastes almost like a hefe-weizen. Taste is smooth and grainy, with hints of banana included. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but somehow full in it's robust flavor. This one took me a couple bottles before I started to accept it. It is a really cheap beer, $12 for a case of returnable bottles. Give it a shot if you are ever in this beer's tiny distribution area, Southern Minnesota (as far as I know).

4.33/5  rDev +17%

Straw color with a bright white 2 finger head which fades fairly quick, leaving a thin disc of foam on top. The aroma has hops, grain, yeast, and is somewhat sweet.

The beer tastes just like it smells. It is somewhat sweet, with hops, grain, and yeast. Also tastes like there is a light amount of banana flavor. Nice balance from the hop bitterness.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink. Very smooth. I look for this beer in cans or bottles when I visit New Ulm. One of my go to lagers.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a brilliant pale gold (straw) in color, topped with a frothy white head and just a little bit of clingy lace. Fairly good head retention. Carbonation is fairly brisk.

I can see how someone might say the nose is pretty bland here, and I would agree up to a point; there's just a dusting of pale malts and very little hop presence as we would come to define by today's American craft standards. Yet in comparison to others in the style (Pale Lager / Adjunct Lager) Hauenstein is at least par for the course and certainly less-offensive than what I've experienced on occasion from comparable national brands.

Sweetish on the first sip, with a lightly vegetal quality and some fruity (red apple) aromatics. Towards the end of the palate there's an adjunct sweetness (a blend of corn and rice) and more vegetal notes as it begins to warm - almost no bitterness to speak of here. Medium-bodied, a bit fuller-bodied than I expect for this type of beer, and the brisk carbonation adds to the drinkability.

Not a bad beer at all, in fact Hauenstein offers a lot of the same taste and drinkability of Grain Belt Premium but at a lower price. I could see this one having a real appeal to certain folks*, to say nothing of the Generation Y hipsters bellying-up in the dive bars of the Twin Cities. A real treat cold, and straight from the package.

Served chilled, in a Libbey pint.

* The packaging is smart and classic: "The beer with a little character" reads the motto on the 12 pack carton, and it refers to the cartoon mason (miner?) in the emblem atop the can or label. A nice can for collectors.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a fizzy yellow with a thick white head that doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is milled grain, something like mineral alcohol, a little pondwater. The taste has a slight mineral tang, with corny sweetness and a mild hop bitterness. It's fizzy and clean to the palate. A decent beer - would've liked it better, probably, on a hot summer day.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge thanks to bwiechmann for this as an extra. Been wanting to try a good AAL to see whats up with the style.

Pours pale yellow with a huge white head. Leaves lacing down the glass.

Smells like light cereal grains and the lager twang. Its good for the style.

Taste is light with cereal grains. Twang is there but its pretty good. No metallic taste to speak of, which is nice cause the style usually has that.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. About right for the style.

Drinkability is good, very drinkable, could have a few of these at a time.

Not my favorite, but glad I tried, and enjoyed it.

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Living 30 miles from New Ulm, I have encountered this beer several times.

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - It pours golden yellow with a 1-finger white head. Try not to blink, or you might miss the head; it fades rather quickly. Lacing is minimal. All in all, not much for looks.

S - mostly light grains; some hoppy bitterness

T - This is not exactly my style of beer. The taste is not bad, but not great. The smell was a good indication--grainy with a fair amount of bitterness. Quite refreshing.

M - decent mouthfeel; good carbonation

D - goes down pretty well

I would probably not buy this. In fact, I've never bought a Hauenstein. I only drink it when friends offer it to me. If you want an ok lager for a low price, Hauenstein is the way to go. If you have a few more bucks to spend, New Ulm produces many better options.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »