Microbrew Invitational

Added by blackie on 11-08-2013

Reviews: 14 | Ratings: 97
Reviews by GeoJ:
2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

This is like, totally my opinion ... man.

Was looking forward to quaffing this one as soon as I found it. Hard to get ... already sold out for the most part.

22oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Wow ... What a massive disappointment.

Appearance was great - Black as night, but with a minimal head that didn't retain for long.

Only way I can describe the taste was thin and acrid. Like burnt coffee mixed with some tepid water. Didn't get much better as it warmed. No complexity, just ... meh. Carbonation went from too fizzy to flat very quickly.

Now, I loves me some COTU, and of course the Dude Abides. Being a Virginia resident I'm big on supporting our local breweries. But, at $10.00 for a 22oz bottle, I feel totally let down. I'm really hoping I just got a bad one.

Let's not start falling into the cutesy marketing ploys at the expense of the beer.

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle. Pours a half finger off head. Dark deep brownish purple, almost black. Aromas of milk/cream, chocolate, malt and coffee but not strong coffee. More like a breakfast blend. Caramel. Sugar. I expected it to be full and creamy in the mouth. Wasn't. Much lighter and only lightly creamy. Definitely not an imperial stout. Vanilla. Taste hints of milk chocolate. Ain't no espresso in here so that's a bald face lie on the bottle. Goes down smooth. No burn. No bad espresso aftertaste either. Easily drinkable. Guessing not a high ABV (under 7.0 would be my guess). However, I like my stouts north of 9% abv and the thickness of motor oil. This isn't all that good to me. Not bad. But not what I was expecting.

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Taste like a white Russian that was mixed with beer.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

Let me tell you something, pendejo...

A: Darkness warshed over the Dude - darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom. Kahlua black in color, with a kahlua and cream head. Dissipates as quickly as a ringer into the night.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted grain. The finish is all dark roasted grain.

T: Coffee and cream with a dash of chocolate thrown in. Roasted grains round off the flavor.. I'm finishing my coffee..

M: Medium with fairly lively carbonation. It feels fairly thin for the style as well as for the emulation of a great beverage.. a smoother, creamier body would really take this to another level. You're out of your element.

O: Strike and gutters... I wish this was a little bolder and richer. It's a fine stout, but on a blind tasting I would never had guessed what it was. A good beer, but not quite a hell of a caucasian jackie. Am I wrong?

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle from ThatCracker (thanks man!). Vintage 2013 (released 11/13). Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours cola black with a half finger tan head. A thin layer of haze persists and leaves small clumps of lace.

Smells of chocolatey malts, burnt sugar and condensed milk.

Flavors of espresso, dark cocoa, cherry pits, vanilla, chocolate milk and bitter burnt pine. Fairly bitter taste but drinks pretty smooth with no booze bite.

Medium body with crisp carbonation. Bittersweet coffee and cocoa finish.

Overall this was a decent stout. A bit thinner than I'd prefer and bitter for a milk stout but still quite drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beer pours brown head. Black opaque body. Nice look.

Smell and taste have strong vanilla notes. Vanilla mixes well with lactose and chocolate. Smell is better than taste though. Taste has stronger lactose while smell has stronger vanilla. Chocolate resembles milk chocolate.

Body is heavy with biting carbonation. Very smooth but also a little bit thin.

Overall good and interesting. Vanilla works well is sometimes overwhelming. Go for it.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

El Duderino White Russian Milk Stout from Center of the Universe Brewing Company