Oakey Pokey - Center of the Universe Brewing Company

Oakey Pokey
No picture uploaded.

Center of the Universe Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Rifugium on 05-31-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Rifugium:
Rifugium

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

First had: on tap at CotU

Labeled as an oaked version of Pocahoptas.

Poured into a plastic cup--as is the way here--a deep darker amber color with a thin cap of white head. Floral and citrus notes in the nose, a good dose of oak. Taste was generously hoppy, with a good combination of orange and bitter pine, again the oak really coming through, and a solid toasted maltiness balancing things out but also detracting a bit from your typical IPA crispness. Medium body, resinous mouthfeel, nice brew overall.

05-31-2013 15:18:56 | More by Rifugium
A_Frayed_Knot

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served in a 12 oz. snifter-type vessel

Since I was only at the restaurant to order takeout food, I wasn't expecting there to be a "new" brew on tap other than usual selections -- whether this is at all New vs. the bar-back pouring at the moment didn't know enough about Oakey Pokey to tell me whether it was ale vs. stout vs. lager -- only that "it just came in yesterday."

A - not much lingering head; amber color, I'd call it "chestnut" based on color of horse I'm familiar with (still new at beer critique here)

S - Floral right away. I assumed based on barhop's lack of knowledge and going on my own, that I was sampling a weizen or similar

T - the wheat impact kept me in mind of a weizen, but the hops do kick in -- more in "back" of the tongue than "full frontal"? I appreciated lesser sugar-infused appeal than I find in traditional IPA. Unless the hops, combined with oak motif, work to disguise the sweet that would otherwise manifest.

M - Since it was described by another patron who looked it up on her Smartphone acc. to COTU's website "the oaky cousin to Pocahoptas" -- which I can't find myself now online; maybe she confused its listing with their recent re-release of The Richard [Imperial] described as "the angry uncle of Pocahoptas" -- then I want to say the oakiness was pronounced in mouthfeel. She also let me know about the 6.8 ABV for this which made me grateful for the smaller serving size, because tonight is a "work night" for me.

O - Very intriguing, definitely satisfying offering from COTD. My review may be slightly off-skew since this brew came as a surprise when I wasn't looking for it.

11-19-2013 03:03:01 | More by A_Frayed_Knot
Fast-N-Loud

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

07-14-2013 13:14:42 | More by Fast-N-Loud
ncaudle

06-26-2013 01:16:27 | More by ncaudle
Oakey Pokey from Center of the Universe Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.