B.B. Bürgerbräu / B.B. Budweiser Bier - První Budějovický Pivovar Samson

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-21-2003

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

Lucent sunflower amber capped by a dense, sponge-like head of yellowed ivory that looks creamier and creamier as it descends. A little sudsy lace is beginning to appear in the form of a slurred collar, but glass coverage will be meager at best. There's nothing overly noteworthy about the appearance, but then there's nothing really wrong with it either. In other words: average.

Pilseners, to my way of thinking, should have a noble hop-dominant nose. If the hops simply co-exist in relative balance with the pils malt, it's tough for me to tell the difference between this style and the Euro Pale Lager style. B.B. Burgerbrau doesn't smell all that hoppy to me. Simple untoasted malty, lightly musty hoppy... that's it. Brown bottle, no skunk.

If anything, hops are even more of a no-show on the palate. There is nothing at all in the flavor profile to distinguish this beer from the seemingly hundreds of EPLs that are foisted upon the American market week after week, month after month, year after year. It looks like one, it smells like one, it tastes like one and it feels like one. It is one.

Still untoasted grainy, sweeter than most (due to an absence of countering hops), thoroughly uninteresting from start to finish. Simplicity personified. I'm trying, believe me I'm trying, but there's nothing to focus on with respect to the flavor, nothing for my tastebuds to grab onto, nothing to the praise, not even a little.

If the flavor is dull and lifeless, the mouthfeel is even more so. The body is much closer to light than to medium and becomes full-on watery on the finish. More bubbles would have helped the mouthfeel, though they couldn't have saved it. This beer is monotonously below average.

B.B. Burgerbrau is supposed to be the forerunner of the modern day Budweiser (the American one). I'm not sure that's something to be proud of given how the 'King of Beers' tastes, but facts is facts and if the brewery wants to trumpet that particular fact from the highest mountaintop, more power to 'em. Frankly, neither one of them is worth a damn.

2.46/5  rDev -25.5%

Served at fridge temperature in the Sam Adams BL glass for optimum performance. 11.1oz bottle, no freshness date.

Appearance- Pours a light to medium gold, and with a rough pour we get about two fingers worth of foam. It settles gradually to a sporadic rim, and leaves behind a few strips of lacing.

Smell- One of the most pungent, vegetal sweetnesses I've recently encountered eminates from the glass... it's loaded with cereal and what seems to be stale hops. There isn't anything on this bottle that indicates a brew date, so I'm not 100% sure if this is fresh or not.

Taste- Behind the clean, simple palate lies a husky sweetness that overpowers the delicate balance of malt and hops. The finish leaves behind more of the sweet, vegetal notes and it's hard for me to appreciate any real elegance here.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Average at best, the carbonation feels right at first... but a half hour into this tasting it begins to really flatten out. Flabby for the style, it doesn't qualify for me as a worthwhile food beer either. Again, I have no way of knowing the bottling date.

2.33/5  rDev -29.4%

Another selection from Liquor Barn's Ultimate Brew Crew-May '06-Lagers

A: A little darker than a Euro Pale Lager. Thin head colapsed quickly with no lacing. Bubbles dissappeared equally fast withing the beer, but not on the tongue.

S: More fruity malt than noble hops aroma.

T: Some hop flavor, but not what I'd expect from a czech pils.

M: Ample body

D: Not bad...not great. Fairly average, but better than American Budejovicer.

2.18/5  rDev -33.9%

Part of a "Beers of the World" girft pack received for my birthday. This supposedly spawned the American pilsener craze. Thanks a lot guys.

Pours a watery, pale straw yellow with a minimal coating of white bubbles. Nose is stale malt and musty grass. Taste is more of the same, grassy and musty malt, a hint of bitter hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. Skunky, bland Euro-lager. Not a fan at all. Must be too 'subtle' for my American tastes.

2.03/5  rDev -38.5%

I always thought that Czechvar was the original Budweiser, but my local beer store proprietor insisted this was the real-deal. I'm not sure why this prompted me to pick-up a bottle, given that Budweiser stinks, but it did. And this beer was no better than its American namesake.

Aroma was strongly of sweet corn, and not beer. Flavor was a sweet maltiness that seemed artificial, and I did not care for it. Mouthfeel was a bit heavy and I didn't care for it. I did not find this beer to be fairly drinkable. I'd pick a Pilsner Urquell over this every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

12 oz Bottle - Early 2007 Release - Served at 45 Degrees into a Snifter

Appearance: After an aggressive pour the beer yields a one inch head and dissipates very quick. Golden color, I expected to see something more yellow. Carbonation is rising to the surface as I type which I hope is a sign of freshness and good mouthfeel. There is no sign of lace and the bubbles have all but disappeared.

Smell: Crisp hop oil and a splash of lemon. Bananas and mango is way in the background but it is fulfilling the fruity aromas of the beer. Enough malt to make me believe this is a Hefeweizen.

Taste: Man am I disappointed. I know this is a Budweiser product, but geez. I am left longing for a crispness or at least some flavor. The only thing I detect is a flat maltiness. In a blind tasting, I probably would confuse thise with a BMC beer.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonation and smoothe mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Drinkable, but nothing special to speak of. Drinks easy, but with such a lack of flavor, why bother?

1.89/5  rDev -42.7%

Pours into a pilsner glass a deep, pretty gold with a tiny head that dies away quickly.

The smell is class import-pils. Skunky and fruity. It would work--I like a bit of skunk now and again--were it not for the strong stabs of metal that kick their way in and make it too hard to hold your nose to.

Tastes like skunk, metal, and candle wax. Eww. Tastes like how a bicycle chain smells, only mixed with skunk. Not much fruit character at all, not much complexity.

This is a bad beer.

1.81/5  rDev -45.2%

Pours with a one-finger white head that goes quickly leaving no lace. Light carbonation and light bodied. Chrystal clear amber color. Grassy/skunky nose. Starts on the sweet side but then the grassy/skunkiness/hops kick in, typical euro pilsner and in a green bottle. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last