B.B. Bürgerbräu / B.B. Budweiser Bier - První Budějovický Pivovar Samson

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-21-2003

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12oz bottle with a silver foil covering 2 thirds of the top of the bottle, with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: The beer poured a pale golden yellow color with think head that seemed to disappear very fast. With a decent amount of lacing that clung till the end.

Smell: The aroma was a little spicy with a malty overture that focused mainly on the subtle smells such as caramel and hops with a little bit of sweetness as well.

Taste: A ok taste with a low malt flavor that was balanced well with the hop bitterness and subtle tastes of caramel and sweetness wrapped it all up.

Mouth-Feel: A dry crisp mouth feels with little carbonation to it and a smooth finish.

Drink-Ability: Not bad at all. I’m a sucker for any Czech beer but what can I say I’m Czech. Overall not the best Czech beer I’ve had but still good.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

B.B. Burgerbrau was a good drinkable beer. It is a smooth beer with a mild hop taste and is nice for a summer day. Mild wheat taste to it, really refreshing. Overall, what one might expect for a basic Czech Pilsner. I'd buy it again. It reminds me of different German Pilsners that I have had before.

2.33/5  rDev -29.4%

Another selection from Liquor Barn's Ultimate Brew Crew-May '06-Lagers

A: A little darker than a Euro Pale Lager. Thin head colapsed quickly with no lacing. Bubbles dissappeared equally fast withing the beer, but not on the tongue.

S: More fruity malt than noble hops aroma.

T: Some hop flavor, but not what I'd expect from a czech pils.

M: Ample body

D: Not bad...not great. Fairly average, but better than American Budejovicer.

3.76/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am always hopeful but wary when I reach for a European lager with a shiny, shiny label in green glass bottles. I am hopeful because fine and delicious brew is often found therein. Wary because as often as not, the beer has been treated to sub-optimum conditions and has become skunky. Sure this could happen to virtually any beer, but it is more common in central and eastern European lagers, because they have to travel so far, they use a lot of green glass, and a lot of hops. So I opened my B.B. Bürgerbräu with tempered expectations. What I got was just a very faint hint of the feared skunkiness, which I was willing to bear if the reward was good enough. Aside from the mild skunk, I found the aroma to be pleasantly perfumey-floral-hoppy. The flavor had a nicely full malty sweetness well countered by a healthy dose of hop bitterness, leaving a crisp, dry finish. It's not quite as rich as Czechvar (Budvar) or as spicy-hoppy as Pilsener-Urquell, but very easy to drink to be sure. Another solid Czech lager that I would happily drink again...if it's fresh.

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Presentation: 16.9 ounce bottle.

Look: Dark golden color. Moderate head.

Smell: The smell isn't that strong. But it has a nice hops scent.

Taste: It tastes good. It's got a nice bitter sharp taste. Very typical of this style of Czech brew.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth in the mouth. It feels very creamy on the palate.

Drinkability. It goes down very well for a beer with such a sharp flavor. I drank this beer a lot faster than I realized. It's one of the most drinkable beers i have had.

Notes: I think I'm giving this beer a high score because it's over 100 degrees right now hahaha. But it's a good flavorful pilsner, and it is easy to drink.

4.55/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

It was one of those warm, sticky Fridays, and I was going to have a nice beer with my lunch - a few of the usual suspects on tap, then I spotted this!

Original Pilsner, served in its appropriate glassware (a tall mug, with the Burgerbrau logo)... nice!

OK, it's malty, but in line with Urquell and Budvar (as well as what I remember about Kumburak). Huge head, nice lace, hops are there, and leave almost a hint of peppery spiciness, but not overly floral. A great start to what looks to be a great rest of the day... :)

2.51/5  rDev -23.9%

Just an average beer here. Very mild grainy aroma that was difficult to really get a sense of as it seemed so faint. Not very crisp, hops are not really present, they seem to show up about half way through the bottle. But still faint. Color is a pale golden color typical of many beers of this style. Very average. I would not shell out import prices for this beer, if it were being served as the only beer at a party or on sale I would give it a go, but I would not go in search of it.

4.32/5  rDev +30.9%

16.9 fl. oz. bottle drunk in inverted cone pilsner glass.

Appearance--Golden color. Very light carbonation--several thin streams of bubbles. Head dissipated very quickly; almost none retained on side of glass.

Smell--Very pleasant aroma of wheat and a little yeast, opens up as one smells it.

Taste--Quite sweet initial profile. Practically no bitterness whatsoever; closest it comes is a little pleasant sourness around the edge of the tongue that prevents it being cloying. I really can't put my finger on what precisely its taste reminds me of; it's very evanescent, complex and subtle; remains in the mouth a long time--probably the best parallel is a good slice of sourdough. The difficulty of breaking down the taste into components, I think, is a tribute to its brewer. The hops are there, but they lend it body, not bitterness for its own sake. This is what, for me at any rate, a pilsner should be.

Mouthfeel--The lack of carbonation gives it a smooth feel. I'm ambivalent about whether more would have been helpful. It might have made it a livelier glass, or whether it would have pushed it toward soda.

Drinkability--Personally, I could drink this for hours, with or without food (not that I drink more than a glass often, but were I to...). It's a beautifully crafted beer. It's complex without being extreme or challenging, in the manner of good English pale to golden ales. It's definitely not an American beer, at either extreme--the big, brash, bold craft beers (hooray!) or the sweet mass-produced pap of Budweiser/Coors/etc (boo!). If drinking with food, I would have it with sourdough and a hard sheep's cheese.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last