B.B. Bürgerbräu / B.B. Budweiser Bier - První Budějovický Pivovar Samson

B.B. Bürgerbräu / B.B. Budweiser BierB.B. Bürgerbräu / B.B. Budweiser Bier

První Budějovický Pivovar Samson visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-21-2003)
ernie

Russian Federation

4.33/5  rDev +30.4%

Smooth, mild, aromatic and malty Czech lager. I prefer it to much more famous Budvar/Czechvar, for it's more complex and delicate. Lots of hoppy-flowery aroma with a subtle note of yeast. Round, a bit sweetish taste with merry hoppy aftertaste. The only really bad thing about it is the supply - can't find this beer when I really want it :(

06-06-2006 12:49:23 | More by ernie
kvnstfrd

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured into a 16 oz. goblet. A gorgeous, deep golden color. Very little head, and what there was didn’t last long. Very little visual evidence of carbonation. An unusually strong smell of malted barley and Saaz hops. I could actually smell it at arms length in the bottle before I poured it! Taste is very sweet with a hint of sour after the swallow. I kept waiting for that strong hop bitterness that my nose detected earlier, but it was subtle and came on gradually. More complex than the better-known Czech pilsners that I’m used to drinking. Soft carbonation. Smooth, with a heavier body than I expected. Not very bitter, but what there is stays with you a long time. There’s a thick, buttery feel on the tongue long after the glass is empty. I’ve always loved Czech pilsners and I think I’ll be calling this one my favorite, at least for now. Easy drinking but with some complexity as well!

01-03-2013 15:33:03 | More by kvnstfrd
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A. Golden in color with a touch of haze, a small but sturdy white head.

S. Czech malts and spicy hops. Smells almost salty, like a Gose.

T. Light bitterness in finish. Sweet malt. Bread. Grain. Sugary.

M. Light carbonation, light-bodied and watery.

D. Light and easy to drink.

08-18-2007 03:50:30 | More by MarkSCCOT
sraimondi

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev +6.9%

Yellow straw color with some spotty lacing after a quickly dissipating head. Very faint grass aroma. Taste is nicely balanced but a little weak in the finish--was looking for a bit more hop bite. Mouthfeel was good--a nice creamy feel. The ABV (of 4.7% per the bottle's label) makes this one a good hot weather beer for knocking down a few on the deck listening to my XM satellite radio.

As an aside, another good brew from Ceske Budejovice, but not as good as Budvar, IMO. The latter is a true pilsner.

Steve

04-29-2007 18:55:03 | More by sraimondi
SickBrew

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

Well this bottle may be slightly skunked. It has a good appearance with almost one finger of head in my pils glass that subsides quickly. Smell is slightly malty and somewhat grassy. A bouquet of noble or Saaz hops should be out in front rather than a virtual no show. Taste ahh, something is off. Tart and grassy with some malts in the background along with some sour tones at the end, that it!. Overall I'm going try this again and hope that I got a skunked bottle.

Prost!

09-28-2008 23:05:22 | More by SickBrew
BeTheBall

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured a clear golden color with a generous head, minimal lacing. Smelled of pilsner malt and hops. Taste was clean and refreshing, but somewhat sweet for a pilsner I thought. Not as dry a finish as some. Mouthfeel was average for this style, and drinkablity was good, very smooth and easy to drink.

09-01-2009 17:35:18 | More by BeTheBall
Chinon01

4.08/5  rDev +22.9%

Nose is of malt and rich nuts like cashews. Taste is similar with big malts up front transitioning to floral and then drying in the finish with mild hop bite. Mouthfeel is generous and given the style how could it not score high on drinkability.
Let's have more beers like these imported and brewed in the US.

Thanks

11-23-2009 06:41:50 | More by Chinon01
ghebel

Iowa

2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

A - Pours a very clear, yellow/ gold color with a one inch white head that dissipates very quickly to a thin ring, leaving moderate lacing on the glass.

S - Malty and spicy hops.

T - Initital smooth malt palate, finishes with spicy note and nice moderate bitterness.

M - Smooth and thin. Initial mild bite that mellows with time. Seems flat.

D - Drinkable, but no more than average.

Overall - The bottle I have may be old? I cannot find a 'best by' or production date on it. It seems flat to me. I will try another in the future.

03-11-2009 22:03:25 | More by ghebel
wages

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%

appearance - 4/5 - Pours with a small stark white head. It's color is read-through transparent golden. The head disappears quickly.

smell - 3/5 - Smells of dough and earthy hops.

taste - 3.5/5 - Very bready and earthy hoppy. It's just like the smell but magnified. The hops have kind of a floral & earthy spiciness.

mouthfeel - 4/5 - A little high on the carbonation, but not too much. Hops flavor lingers and coats the mouth.

overall - 4/5 - Not a bad pilsener that is well supported by it's hops. Not the best Czech beer I've had and not the worst.

02-11-2012 20:20:51 | More by wages
mnesporov

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%

Presentation: 12oz bottle with a silver foil covering 2 thirds of the top of the bottle, with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: The beer poured a pale golden yellow color with think head that seemed to disappear very fast. With a decent amount of lacing that clung till the end.

Smell: The aroma was a little spicy with a malty overture that focused mainly on the subtle smells such as caramel and hops with a little bit of sweetness as well.

Taste: A ok taste with a low malt flavor that was balanced well with the hop bitterness and subtle tastes of caramel and sweetness wrapped it all up.

Mouth-Feel: A dry crisp mouth feels with little carbonation to it and a smooth finish.

Drink-Ability: Not bad at all. I’m a sucker for any Czech beer but what can I say I’m Czech. Overall not the best Czech beer I’ve had but still good.

11-15-2006 15:54:54 | More by mnesporov
beakerboy

Kentucky

2.33/5  rDev -29.8%

Another selection from Liquor Barn's Ultimate Brew Crew-May '06-Lagers

A: A little darker than a Euro Pale Lager. Thin head colapsed quickly with no lacing. Bubbles dissappeared equally fast withing the beer, but not on the tongue.

S: More fruity malt than noble hops aroma.

T: Some hop flavor, but not what I'd expect from a czech pils.

M: Ample body

D: Not bad...not great. Fairly average, but better than American Budejovicer.

06-07-2006 01:04:00 | More by beakerboy
JoKo

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%

B.B. Burgerbrau was a good drinkable beer. It is a smooth beer with a mild hop taste and is nice for a summer day. Mild wheat taste to it, really refreshing. Overall, what one might expect for a basic Czech Pilsner. I'd buy it again. It reminds me of different German Pilsners that I have had before.

06-15-2007 02:57:41 | More by JoKo
ctdfalconer

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

I am always hopeful but wary when I reach for a European lager with a shiny, shiny label in green glass bottles. I am hopeful because fine and delicious brew is often found therein. Wary because as often as not, the beer has been treated to sub-optimum conditions and has become skunky. Sure this could happen to virtually any beer, but it is more common in central and eastern European lagers, because they have to travel so far, they use a lot of green glass, and a lot of hops. So I opened my B.B. Bürgerbräu with tempered expectations. What I got was just a very faint hint of the feared skunkiness, which I was willing to bear if the reward was good enough. Aside from the mild skunk, I found the aroma to be pleasantly perfumey-floral-hoppy. The flavor had a nicely full malty sweetness well countered by a healthy dose of hop bitterness, leaving a crisp, dry finish. It's not quite as rich as Czechvar (Budvar) or as spicy-hoppy as Pilsener-Urquell, but very easy to drink to be sure. Another solid Czech lager that I would happily drink again...if it's fresh.

12-07-2006 02:57:02 | More by ctdfalconer
eschbach

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: 16.9 ounce bottle.

Look: Dark golden color. Moderate head.

Smell: The smell isn't that strong. But it has a nice hops scent.

Taste: It tastes good. It's got a nice bitter sharp taste. Very typical of this style of Czech brew.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth in the mouth. It feels very creamy on the palate.

Drinkability. It goes down very well for a beer with such a sharp flavor. I drank this beer a lot faster than I realized. It's one of the most drinkable beers i have had.

Notes: I think I'm giving this beer a high score because it's over 100 degrees right now hahaha. But it's a good flavorful pilsner, and it is easy to drink.

06-06-2010 04:29:21 | More by eschbach
rlf1810

11-23-2011 16:54:43 | More by rlf1810
TheBMan

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

01-24-2012 07:21:59 | More by TheBMan
okra

4.55/5  rDev +37%

It was one of those warm, sticky Fridays, and I was going to have a nice beer with my lunch - a few of the usual suspects on tap, then I spotted this!

Original Pilsner, served in its appropriate glassware (a tall mug, with the Burgerbrau logo)... nice!

OK, it's malty, but in line with Urquell and Budvar (as well as what I remember about Kumburak). Huge head, nice lace, hops are there, and leave almost a hint of peppery spiciness, but not overly floral. A great start to what looks to be a great rest of the day... :)

07-06-2007 17:32:53 | More by okra
schellsguy

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Just an average beer here. Very mild grainy aroma that was difficult to really get a sense of as it seemed so faint. Not very crisp, hops are not really present, they seem to show up about half way through the bottle. But still faint. Color is a pale golden color typical of many beers of this style. Very average. I would not shell out import prices for this beer, if it were being served as the only beer at a party or on sale I would give it a go, but I would not go in search of it.

05-28-2007 20:25:53 | More by schellsguy
pilsner75

4.35/5  rDev +31%

16.9 fl. oz. bottle drunk in inverted cone pilsner glass.

Appearance--Golden color. Very light carbonation--several thin streams of bubbles. Head dissipated very quickly; almost none retained on side of glass.

Smell--Very pleasant aroma of wheat and a little yeast, opens up as one smells it.

Taste--Quite sweet initial profile. Practically no bitterness whatsoever; closest it comes is a little pleasant sourness around the edge of the tongue that prevents it being cloying. I really can't put my finger on what precisely its taste reminds me of; it's very evanescent, complex and subtle; remains in the mouth a long time--probably the best parallel is a good slice of sourdough. The difficulty of breaking down the taste into components, I think, is a tribute to its brewer. The hops are there, but they lend it body, not bitterness for its own sake. This is what, for me at any rate, a pilsner should be.

Mouthfeel--The lack of carbonation gives it a smooth feel. I'm ambivalent about whether more would have been helpful. It might have made it a livelier glass, or whether it would have pushed it toward soda.

Drinkability--Personally, I could drink this for hours, with or without food (not that I drink more than a glass often, but were I to...). It's a beautifully crafted beer. It's complex without being extreme or challenging, in the manner of good English pale to golden ales. It's definitely not an American beer, at either extreme--the big, brash, bold craft beers (hooray!) or the sweet mass-produced pap of Budweiser/Coors/etc (boo!). If drinking with food, I would have it with sourdough and a hard sheep's cheese.

11-14-2007 01:47:37 | More by pilsner75