Praga Dark Lager - První Budějovický Pivovar Samson

good

První Budějovický Pivovar Samson visit their website
Czech Republic

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 06-15-2012)
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Smooth

3.44/5  rDev -1.4%

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Mild semi-coffee/roasted malt aroma. Smooth sweetish flavor. Low perceivable hop flavor. Well but gently carbonated. Light bodied and easy drinking. Dark Reddish brown in color Very malty. No off flavors. Dry Finish

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

I was introduced to this beer at a social gathering so I wasn't really able to give it my full tasting experience attention but I liked it so much I decided to post. For me the rich, dark ebony appearance was very appealing enhanced by the bottle packaging. I didn't have access to proper tasting glassware but on direct pour some head appeared but quickly dissipated which was somewhat disappointing from an aesthetic standpoint but as I found out this in no way degraded the positive experience for me. Also, the lower carbonation made it much lighter on the midsection. Aroma was slightly raisiny, slightly chocolaty to me and again very inviting. Initial wash over the tongue was smooth and creamy, with a pleasantly sweet aftertaste which I loved and just balanced with the right amount of bitterness. Overall this beer for me is probably best in fall/winter months with bigger-flavored meals and would probably make for some fantastic recipes as well as complement some deserts but I thoroughly enjoyed it on a warmer evening.

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep, dark brown hue with dark red highlights when held up to the light, plus a strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of pillowy tan foam. I think it's quite attractive indeed.

Smell: sweet malt with a light element of caramel, toffee and dark fruits. It's a little too sweet for me, but otherwise quite good.

Taste: rich fruitiness with raisin, cherry and tobacco; finish is caramel and toffee. This style can be so good when executed well, as it is here; I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: light body but with a huge carbonation and surprisingly satisfying creaminess. Bam!

Overall: I tend to like dark European lagers, and this is among the better of them. I'd definitely have this again.

2.05/5  rDev -41.3%

500ml bottle. Pokal glass. Brown color, very dark amber tints to the light. Beige tan froth, close crown & correct retention. Roasted, sweettish aromas & slightly hoppy notes. Some metallic odors. Sweet malty syrup flavors & cloying sensation. Light body. Moderate to high carbonation. Watery texture. Sweetish finish & slight earthy bitterness. Flat & boring.

Praga Dark Lager from První Budějovický Pivovar Samson