Raincloud Robust Porter - Foolproof Brewing Company

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: SenorHops on 02-12-2013

Reviews by gcamparone:
4.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got to "sample" a lot of this beer while hosting a beer tasting event at the liquor store I work at. I chose this brew because I was initially impressed with it, as were most of the customers who sampled it.

For the official review I poured the 12 oz can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A- After an aggressive pour I get a beautiful jet-black, opaque body with amber highlights. The head is thick, bubbly , and mocha colored which rises slowly and reduces even slower, leaving some thick, uniform lacing and a thick layer of patchy foam on the surface of the beer.

S- Primarily fresh coffee beans, toasted malt, dark chocolate, and maybe even a subtle vanilla-toffee aroma. The aroma is upfront and inviting.

T- Upfront I get milk chocolate, espresso, and vanilla notes, this develops into a bittersweet chocolate, roasty, nearly charred malt flavor that leaves a perfect bitterness on the tongue that is characteristic of an excellent robust porter.

M- Thick and creamy with low carbonation.

Out of the three flagship beers that foolproof has released, I have to say that this is by far the best one. They really hit this out of the park. It hits all the high points of an excellent porter/stout - it looks nice, smells nice, tastes delicious, and carries a thick, robust body. It's definitely a sipper, not a beer that you would drink the whole six pack in one sitting. Hopefully foolproof will expand it's distribution so more people can experience this one. Try it if you can! (1,498 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours a fudge brown color capped by a robust tan head; nice stickage and lacing

Smell: Roasty and chocolatey

Taste: Very roasty, up front, with dark chocolate settling in underneath; by mid-palate, the hops come on rather strong, bringing a grassy tone; bitter, roasty and chocolatey, in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A really tasty porter with an unusual twist in the hop bill; I would prefer a little fuller mouthfeel but that is a quibble (496 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, dark brown in color, clear, medium carbonation

Smell: cocoa and bosco

Taste: cocoa powder, char, and dark chocolate

Mouthfeel: sweet start, bitter middle and a less bitter end, medium carbonation, medium bodied, chewy

Overall: I think this is a slightly below average porter that has a decent amount of char and bitterness. This is not bad, but nothing really stands out either. Not every brewery matches everyone's taste, and I am beginning to thing Foolproof and myself are not a match. (519 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

In my line of work, it's rare that I come across a beer/brewery I've never heard of. In this case, for once, I did. I just happened to pop into a local liquor store, to see how the other half lives, if you can dig it, and stumbled across Foolproof brewing. While there are new breweries coming into Texas at an incredibly exciting rate, the fact that this one slipped past my radar astounds me.
Both beers I've had from Foolproof so far have been excellent. But enough Blah-blah. On with the show.

Raincloud pours a dense, pitch black, that is quickly topped with a huge pillowy cap of foam. The head lingers for almost two minutes, diminishing slowly, and leaving loads of thick lacing clinging to the glass. Color me interested.

The nose is bushels of rich, smoky malt. Cacao nibs, burnt brisket ends, day old coffee (In a good way!), and British hops tickle the sinuses. There's not a hint of the 6.5% ABV to be had here, which is awesome, since I let this puppy warm up to almost room temperature before drinking. Rad.

Raincloud tastes like it would be perfect paired with a rained-out barbecue.
Ironically enough, the can says it pairs well with "a lazy day of movie watching or book reading", which I can easily say, it works well with. This is what a "ROBUST" porter should taste like. SO many beers make that claim, and fall short in the flavor department. This is the exception. Thick, smoky, heavy, and peaty. Roast malts hit up the front end, coffee and peat take up the middle, and a subtle hint of vanilla cream rounds out the back. Sorry, Smuttynose, but you're doing this style wrong.

On the Palate, Raincloud is soft, velvety, and deceptively smooth. Again, creamy, even. At the same time, it lets you know that it is NOT a light beer. The flavor lingers long after each swallow. But, that being said, it requires another sip. And another. And another.

All told, I'm incredibly impressed by this beer, from a brewery I'd never heard of,
from a town in Rhode Island that I thought was just a place in the show "Family Guy". (Pawtucket. Like Pawtucket Patriot ale.) I won't lie and say that half the reason I bought this beer was just that. But you know what? I'm damn glad I did.
Cheers!!!! (2,216 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

Consumed 3/10/13

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - surprisingly dark, honestly, coming from a bright blue can - pours with a small, light tan head - fades to a small trace of a cap, leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Dark and roasty - decidedly robust, almost smells like a stout - roasty coffee and dark chocolate - semisweet chocolate chips and chocolate cake - some toffee and some hints of dark fruits - light touch of what smells like lactose, and I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it

Taste: Roasty with a lot of chocolate - roasty, lightly burnt coffee - chocolate malts, with some caramel malts and toffee - dark chocolate and milk chocolate - chocolate cake - light lactose flavor that kind of makes this taste like a mocha latte (might be a stretch, but close enough) - light bitterness, moderate but pleasant sweetness overall

Mouthfeel: Medium-ish body, creamy, smooth, light carbonation, lightly oily aftertaste

Overall: Taste the rainbow... or rather, Raincloud

I can't say I was particularly impressed by Foolproof's IPA (Backyahd), but this robust porter is remarkably solid. I would actively encourage people to try this. It's very roasty and chocolatey, and I think it has some milk stout-like qualities. Tasty. (1,232 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

@ Mills Tavern, Providence RI

Served in a Foolproof snifter. Dark brown to black in a very dark dining room for extra darkness. Big, splashy head throws lace all over the glass. Good lookin' stuff.

Heavy char aroma. A little dark fruit like fig or cassis pops up here and there.

Complex and extremely flavorful. Cassis up front with a heavy char in back. There's some hop bitterness which really shoves the char on your tongue. I like that. Maybe some dark baker's chocolate. Maybe?

I was going to give up on Foolproof after their ho hum IPA. This is much, much better. Between Mayflower Porter, HF Everett, Smuttynose Robust porter, OC Stovepipe and Raincloud I think porter is one of the styles New England does best. (724 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Raincloud Robust Porter
12 oz can
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

I picked up a 6 pack of Foolproof Porter on a whim last month while visiting Providence, RI. I noticed it was a locally produced beer and decided to give it a try.

Pours a jet ink black, opaque in appearance with a nice khaki colored head on top. Awesome trails of sticky lacings form on the side of the glassware.

Whiffs of a smokey fire, chocolate and percolating coffee.

The mouthfeel is rich, chewy and slick with a monster malt profile that provides flavors of liquid smoke, dark chocolate and caramel sweetness. I also a detect roasted malts with every sip, reminiscent of a quality espresso. There is an element of sweetness here too, perhaps a hint of lactose or sugar. The finish has a biting hop snap.

A really smooth and flavorful porter, which is probably my favorite style of beer. (864 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- dark brown with a tan head
S- dark malts dominate
T- dark and bitter, rich roasted malts with a nice finish
F- Smooth
O- A pretty solid porter (146 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%