Raincloud Robust Porter - Foolproof Brewing Company

pDev: 10%
Foolproof Brewing Company visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: SenorHops on 02-12-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raincloud Robust Porter Alström Bros

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This was a gift at the brewery to The CANQuest (TM) back in February when I visited on my way to the Inaugural RI Brew Fest at the Pawtucket Armory. I had to await approval of my picture as I only had the one CAN and I dislike pictures of spent beers.

From the CAN: "It's pouring outside, so pour yourself something inside ..."; "Raincloud is the perfect 'stay at home' brew. Dark, smooth, mysterious - this rich and flavorful porter is brewed with chocolate and crystal malts and a subtle blend of European hops. Raincloud is the ideal accompaniment for a lazy day of movie watching or reading."; "Your Life. Your Beer."; "Experience Responsibly".

The Crack revealed that this CAN was not as full as its brother, but I went with an inverted Glug all the same. Once the cascade began to settle, I had a dense finger of foamy, deep-brown head with excellent retention. The beer looked like a glass of ink! Dark? ZERO light penetration! None anywhere, not even on the sides or at the edges. It must have been a deep, dark-brown but all I could see was blackness. The smell was smoky, liquified dark chocolate and my mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was full and the richness of the chocolate made it feel as though I were drinking a milkshake. A really smoky chocolate milkshake! The lacing that had begun to manifest itself was going to require a jackhammer to remove. Finish was dry, very smoky, very much dark chocolate, but the wee yeasties had done their job and there was no sweetness remaining from the malt. It is not raining today, but I do have a book that I am reading (Irvine Welsh's latest - "Skagboys") so I think that I will take the brewery's advice and return to it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.44/5  rDev +16.8%

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got to "sample" a lot of this beer while hosting a beer tasting event at the liquor store I work at. I chose this brew because I was initially impressed with it, as were most of the customers who sampled it.

For the official review I poured the 12 oz can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A- After an aggressive pour I get a beautiful jet-black, opaque body with amber highlights. The head is thick, bubbly , and mocha colored which rises slowly and reduces even slower, leaving some thick, uniform lacing and a thick layer of patchy foam on the surface of the beer.

S- Primarily fresh coffee beans, toasted malt, dark chocolate, and maybe even a subtle vanilla-toffee aroma. The aroma is upfront and inviting.

T- Upfront I get milk chocolate, espresso, and vanilla notes, this develops into a bittersweet chocolate, roasty, nearly charred malt flavor that leaves a perfect bitterness on the tongue that is characteristic of an excellent robust porter.

M- Thick and creamy with low carbonation.

Out of the three flagship beers that foolproof has released, I have to say that this is by far the best one. They really hit this out of the park. It hits all the high points of an excellent porter/stout - it looks nice, smells nice, tastes delicious, and carries a thick, robust body. It's definitely a sipper, not a beer that you would drink the whole six pack in one sitting. Hopefully foolproof will expand it's distribution so more people can experience this one. Try it if you can!

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

At Three Penny in Montpelier (at the same sitting as an Everett). It was solid from the first sip, and as it warmed up it grew on me more and I welcome malts in Vermont. I couldn't decide if I liked the bitterness at the finish, and the smoothness of Everett that was sitting next to it made it a negative.

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Raincloud Robust Porter
12 oz can
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

I picked up a 6 pack of Foolproof Porter on a whim last month while visiting Providence, RI. I noticed it was a locally produced beer and decided to give it a try.

Pours a jet ink black, opaque in appearance with a nice khaki colored head on top. Awesome trails of sticky lacings form on the side of the glassware.

Whiffs of a smokey fire, chocolate and percolating coffee.

The mouthfeel is rich, chewy and slick with a monster malt profile that provides flavors of liquid smoke, dark chocolate and caramel sweetness. I also a detect roasted malts with every sip, reminiscent of a quality espresso. There is an element of sweetness here too, perhaps a hint of lactose or sugar. The finish has a biting hop snap.

A really smooth and flavorful porter, which is probably my favorite style of beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

@ Mills Tavern, Providence RI

Served in a Foolproof snifter. Dark brown to black in a very dark dining room for extra darkness. Big, splashy head throws lace all over the glass. Good lookin' stuff.

Heavy char aroma. A little dark fruit like fig or cassis pops up here and there.

Complex and extremely flavorful. Cassis up front with a heavy char in back. There's some hop bitterness which really shoves the char on your tongue. I like that. Maybe some dark baker's chocolate. Maybe?

I was going to give up on Foolproof after their ho hum IPA. This is much, much better. Between Mayflower Porter, HF Everett, Smuttynose Robust porter, OC Stovepipe and Raincloud I think porter is one of the styles New England does best.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Pours black. My can had a tremendous amount of pressure on it, causing lots of foam. Had to wait a couple of times for it to settle before finishing the pour.

S: Malt, roast coffee, hint of chocolate.

T: Chocolaty, lots of roasted malt and slightly burnt coffee. A healthy amount of bitterness, but not too much.

M: Lots of body, but not as thick as many stouts. The dark and roasted malts dominate, very little hop and sugar syrupy feel.

O: Solid example of a robust porter. True to style and an impressive delivery from the can.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Two-finger beige head. Good ring lace after each sip. Dark brown color where no light passes through the glass.

Deep chocolate smell that hovers between milk and semisweet. Light alcohol in the background.

Dark steps up first--mostly chocolate but I believe there's a bit of black patent as well. Solid body with an equally decent carbonation. Great semisweet chocolate aftertaste. A bit of tart cherry in the swallow.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

No date, but it's only been available in cans for a week or two now.

A: Thick tan head with some retention and sheets of lacing.

S: Very prominent milk chocolate, or rather chocolate milk.

T: Chocolate milk, but not very sweet, with some dusty char lingering on the finish. Vanilla roundness to the flavor. Some woodsy hops poke through now and again, as does some roasted barley.

M: Low carbonation with a very pleasing soft and creamy mouthfeel that feels almost like a cask beer. (This might contribute to the chocolate milk association.) That said, it's thinner than I like in a porter.

O: Dangerously drinkable at 6.5%. This porter could easily join Smuttynose, Mayflower and Founders as a "house" porter for me.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Consumed 3/10/13

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - surprisingly dark, honestly, coming from a bright blue can - pours with a small, light tan head - fades to a small trace of a cap, leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Dark and roasty - decidedly robust, almost smells like a stout - roasty coffee and dark chocolate - semisweet chocolate chips and chocolate cake - some toffee and some hints of dark fruits - light touch of what smells like lactose, and I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it

Taste: Roasty with a lot of chocolate - roasty, lightly burnt coffee - chocolate malts, with some caramel malts and toffee - dark chocolate and milk chocolate - chocolate cake - light lactose flavor that kind of makes this taste like a mocha latte (might be a stretch, but close enough) - light bitterness, moderate but pleasant sweetness overall

Mouthfeel: Medium-ish body, creamy, smooth, light carbonation, lightly oily aftertaste

Overall: Taste the rainbow... or rather, Raincloud

I can't say I was particularly impressed by Foolproof's IPA (Backyahd), but this robust porter is remarkably solid. I would actively encourage people to try this. It's very roasty and chocolatey, and I think it has some milk stout-like qualities. Tasty.

Raincloud Robust Porter from Foolproof Brewing Company