Prairie The Beer That Saved Christmas - Prairie Artisan Ales

good

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Cowboys9 on 11-10-2013)
3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Rusted out all along the cap. Got this via trade in Iowa.

I didn't know this has wild bacteria in it until I took my first sip. Then I had to look up the specs on the prairie website. I love old ales so my first sip was awful. i see what they are doing here, though. The more I drink it the more I'm warming up this sour version of an old ale.

The tart fruits and chocolate and leather, I get, don't blend as cohesively well as I would like. I'm glad I'm splitting this one.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours dark brown with a creamy mocha head.

S: Brown sugar, some medium roast coffee, oak, a touch of vanilla, a touch of caramel.

T: Brown sugar, some oak, some vanilla, some caramel, but a surprising amount of fruity yeast esters.

M: Medium bodied and fairly smooth.

O: This is an interesting beer, the nose and taste seem to be on conflict, but it works beautifully. Definitely worth a try. Definitely recommended.

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a half-litre bottle into a Firestone Walker tasting glass. Bottled 2013.

A: Pours a sludgy brown with good but brief head.

S: Spicy, but dull.

T: Hm! Interesting. Unexpectedly bright and fruity. Dry endtaste. The "wild bacteria" (description on the website) is evident and explains a lot of the contradictions here.

M: A tad thin. Sourish and astringent.

O: I thoroughly enjoyed this! I would have again. Tangentially, there was a touch of cap rust, but nothing bad.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A:
Pours an opaque dark copper with a fluffy tan head that pours at three fingers and settles to one or so. Great retention; touches of lacing.

S:
Sweet, malty, and dark. The predominate aroma seems to be a sourish wine smell with lots of currants, black pepper, caramel malt, dried fruits, nuts, wood, and bubblegum; quite boozy and warm smelling.

T:
Astringent and boozy. Flavor-wise it is slightly wine-like with a long woody tinge underpinning it all; red wine, currants, tea-like astringency, vague winey sourness. Very interesting.

M:
Full-bodied with warming alcohol and a coating mouthfeel.

O:
Impressive beer.
I am no old hand at old ales, but I did enjoy this one. It likely won't become an every day beer for me, but it was worth trying and exhibited some very nice characteristics. It is quite nice looking and has a very 'busy' nose. The flavor is rustic (woody and musty) with a little winey oxidation taste. All-in-all it is a nice cold weather beer and I enjoyed it. I feel strange being too critical as I have little experience with the style, but it seems pretty solid based on the BJCP guidelines, for what it's worth.
Would maybe have again; worth finding if you are a big beer fanatic.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%