Prairie Artisan Ales / Evil Twin Bible Belt - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales / Evil Twin Bible BeltPrairie Artisan Ales / Evil Twin Bible Belt

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 03-17-2014

Huge Imperial Stout based on Evil Twin Brewings Even More Jesus spiced like Prairie Artisan Ales Bomb with coffee, vanilla, chilies and cacao nibs.
Ratings: 1,685 | Reviews: 178

Outstanding. Starts off heavy on the chocolate, but once it opens, its complexities shine. Would love more.

Poured into a bruery snifter aggressive pour.
A- pours 2 finger dark brown head that disappears quickly. Very thick and dark no light at all shines through. Nice lacing sticking to the glass.
S- rich chocolate cake, vanilla, coffee, dark fruit, raisin, plum, brown sugar, cookie
T- taste like devils chocolate cake in a glass. It starts out with taste of brownie batter, espresso, vanilla, slight heat from the chilles, and then the finish is an amazing smooth chocolate cake.
M- very thick full bodied with light carbonation. Can't stress how smooth this beer is.
O- this one is a true delight. The biggest difference from Bomb is the smooth chocolate finish. Bomb tends to have more lingering chile preference than this one. Gets a perfect 5/5 from me.

Add it to the list of absolutely phenomenal stouts from Prairie. Everything from the smell down to the taste and silky mouthfeel is perfect. Love bomb and this is a slight varient on that with a bit more silky feel. Truly world class
Jet black pour with a coffee mocha huge head
Smell is cocoa, coffee, vanilla
Taste follows the nose and the feel is so silky smooth.

4.96/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz draft at Holy Grale, Louisville, KY

A: Deep, inky black body topped with a dollop of mocha head; finger thick head recedes to a small collar of bubbles after a couple sips; sticky lacing clings in sheets; looks the part of an imposing imperial stout.

S: Smells like a dessert beer if there ever was one; huge chocolate overtones greet the nose - dark chocolate, powdered cocoa, fudge; a nice espresso note cuts through with a roasted bitter edge; splashes of vanilla and spice - seems to alternate between a cinnamon note and pepper (cayenne?); as the glass warms just the faintest hint of alcohol wafts onto the nose.

T: Much like the nose, a huge chocolate presence comes forward on the palate covering the whole spectrum - dark cacao, bittersweet baker's chocolate, milk chocolate, powdered cocoa, gooey fudge and Hershey's syrup; a wave of vanilla darts throughout, augmenting the dessert qualities, along with a faint hint of fruit - dark berry but I can't pin down which; the initial sugary sweetness rides high before espresso notes rise up mid sip to offer some balance in the form of a bittering roasted bite; malt backbone works hard to attempt bring balance, with toasted bread, a touch of char and a nutty quality; finish slightly dries out as the lingering roast/espresso flavor is punctuated first by a distinct flash of cinnamon, which gradually transitions to a warmer, cayenne flavor that invites the next sip. Wow! The complexities here are so deep and just superb.

M: Full bodied, creamy and velvety smooth; low carbonation allows the body to display its heft; this drinks as close to a frothy milkshake as you can get; luxurious thickness that accentuates the early sweetness on the palate.

O: This is as close as you can come to having a religious experience in a beer - how appropriate is the name? With Bible Belt, Prairie/Evil Twin have concocted an exquisite collaboration stout. Complexities abound on the nose and palate with huge dessert like flavors - like drinking a gourmet spiced chocolate bar. The chocolaty/vanilla sweetness melds fantastically with the roast espresso/coffee, leaving the peppery spice to lurk beneath the surface until that perfect moment in the finish when heat, roast and sweet arrange a perfect union. And all the while, this stout expertly masks its 13% ABV content in a seductive, deceptive and altogether delightful manner.

I don't say this lightly - this is THE best stout I've ever had; KBS has finally been supplanted as my highest rated beer. As close to perfection in a beer as I have ever found. I highly recommend this if you can find it, as this is well worth the price of admission ($9.00 for a 12oz pour). What a rare treat to find, especially on draft, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience this beer.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

the absolute best chocolate aromas ever! candied pecans, dark roasted coffee, chipotle smoked Jalapenos, very mild cinnamon, and some breaddy aromas. Very complex! Starts malty which turns to chocolate almost immediately. A mild tartness appears as it transitions into the coffee and finishes with a nice bitterness and another mild tartness. There is a lasting coffee flavor. There is a tad of booziness in the finish, but at 13%, you'd expect to have some.. but it is very mild.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Jet black with a deep brown thick head. Loads of lacing. Roasted vanilla coffee beans and chocolate flavors just like the aroma. Just a tad of peppery spice at the end of some sips. Syrupy sweetness balances the bitter roasted malts. There is little carbonation which leads to the syrupy consistency that I am not a fan of.

Great stout. The best I've personally had yet.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Dark black pour with a non existent head...no lacing. Not upset about it.

S- Smell is fantastic and overwhelming, there is so much going on in here. Dark roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate with hints of peppery spicyness .

T- I feel like this brew has more pepper heat than the Prairie Bomb! I'm not complaining. Like the nose, the flavor is very complex. Loads of bitteness from the coffee blend in nicely with the chocolate and vanilla. Every sip has a different start and finish, it is like there is too much flavor for my brain to handle. One thing is sure, this is good.

M- Full, almost syrupy. Very little carbonation, and just was I was looking for with this style.

O- Will have this again, and if I had the opportunity I would celler a few to let the flavors mature. A very good stout, perfect for a night when you just want one. Prairie rarely disappoints, they hit a home run with this beer.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Holy crap. Just poured and can't wait to try it. Big thanks to youradhere for this one. Here goes:

A: Massive two-inch head. The head was slow to develop, but once it started rising I thought it was going to spill over the glass (stopped just before overflowing). Pitch black with a very dark head. Beautiful.

S: Simple but stunning. A ton of milky sweet chocolate (not the bitter kind - milky sweet). I'm itching to try this, as I've probably never smelled a stout quite so sweet.

T: Best stout I've ever tasted, hands down. Taste is simply astounding - beautifully rich and sweet. Tons of milk chocolate, ALMOST NO BURNT BITTERNESS. It's like I'm diving into some rich Lindt chocolate. A chocolate bomb!

F: Thick, rich and sweet. Perfect.

O: This stout is simply astounding. Oklahomans should rejoice at having such a great beer.

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Significantly more chille pepper flavor / heat than in the current bottlings of Bomb! To me, this is what Bomb! should be. If you like Bomb!, then give bible belt a try.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When you get the tulip (or larger depending on how well you know the bartender), it just sits black as hell.

It smells divine with espresso/coffee, that ultimately what is going to take you to the promise land.

When you unleash it to your tongue and soft parts, you are going to get hit hard with espresso, chocolate, vanilla, and just a tad bit of heat on the back end, just enough to really bring out the other flavors. That's where Prairie excels. They use subtle heat not as a gimmick, but as a catalyst to bring out the other focused flavors.

This is a rare beauty. Not many other Stouts can utilize the espresso kick with the subtle heat of chilies to create not a gimmick, but a brew that has all elements working together.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz brown bottle purchased from Ales Unlimited in San Francisco.

Uncaps without a sound, worryingly. However, it seems my fears of uncarbonation are unfounded, as it pours with a lovely creamy head of pale golden-toned brown, above a thoroughly rich body that looks a bit like melted high-cacao chocolate. Lacing forms solidly as well—relying on both the foam and the weight of the beer to sustain it. It looks pretty magnificent.

And... holy crap. That nose. That. Nose. Wow. Let me just collect myself a little bit here. This is amazing stuff: huge, powerful, rich, supple, complex and potent. Big robust coffee characters puncture everything ripping through characters of chocolate, deep malt, raw cacao, mole and anise. Entwined with this is a crisp capsicum potency: the chilli provides a crispness to the aroma that works with the fresh, fruity coffee tones. This is phenomenal stuff—I hope they know they've created surely one of the best-smelling beers in the world.

Taste is also excellent. Smooth and supple throughout, driven by beautiful layers of cacao-rich chocolate providing a bittersweet base. Spicy aromatics lift the palate and complicate it (in the best possible way), while the coffee lingers towards the back giving a zesty bitterness laced with earthy gravitas. Wow, there is so much going on here. This is unbelievably good stuff.

Feel is perfect—just perfect. I can't believe I was worried about a lack of carbonation. There's such a richness to the feel, lightened both by the subtle spice and the mild creaminess of the carb. Wonderful stuff.

Just, wow. I'm speechless. It's rare that so good a beer comes along, especially when I'm not expecting it, like with this one. I mean, Evil Twin's Even More Jesus is good, and I've really enjoyed Prairie's other beers—but when your strong line is new-world farmhouse ales, I just did not expect such a phenomenal imperial stout to come out of the stable. I'm humbled and awestruck.

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Mmmmm this is so full of flavor. It takes the tongue and brain a minute to recognize all that's going on. Strong coffee aroma. The chiles give it the right amount of bite. It's definitely one of the best beers I've had.... It's like dessert! A small amount goes a long way considering its high alcohol content too!

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle pour into my tulip, no date...

A - Pitch black, brown head with great lace and retention

S - Strong vanilla aroma with a soft milk chocolate following

T - Vanilla and dark cocoa punch in the face with a really mild to strong heat from the chilies on the finale

M - Medium feel, low carbonation, ultra smooth off the palate and a hot finish

O - This is excellent and falls right in the line with some of the top beers of its style, like Bomb and Mexican Cake. ABV flys right under the radar and has a variety of amazing flavors. Just an outstanding brew.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Pitch black, with a small, tan head.

Aroma - The aroma is what first got me. There’s so much going on here. The aroma punched me in the face soon as I barely cracked the cap. It’s huge. I picked up a ton of coffee and dark chocolate. The chili is definitely there as well. The vanilla was less apparent, but still noticeable. Overall, it was like BOMB! turned up to 11.

Taste - There is so much happening with the taste. Like the aroma, it’s huge, but it’s so well-balanced. I got big notes of coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla, and the chili pepper. It was basically everything you’d expect, just more intense. The flavors all shine in their own right, and no one flavor is too dominant. The aftertaste was dominated by bitter chocolate with a lingering chili tingle. Alcohol is incredibly well-hidden. Awesome.

Mouthfeel - Silky smooth. Light, and not as thick as one would think it would be. The chilies really add to the experience in a fantastic way.

Overall - I try not to be a homer when it comes to Oklahoma beer. Since I'm not originally from the state, I feel like I can objectively assess the local offerings. That being said, this beer is something special. I have been looking forward to its release since it was first announced. Thankfully, it did not disappoint. I like it more than BOMB!, and it's one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts I've ever had. I really think it will age beautifully, and I can’t wait to see how it evolves throughout the upcoming months and years. It’s well worth the price, so pick it up while you can.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow this is good. A lot of people are saying that Bomb! is better, but I think this is just as good with only some slight, minor differences.

A - Darkest of browns, but not quite black. Pillow-y sout-y brown-cream head. Some lacing, okay legs. Looks like I want to chew on it.

S - Good god. This is easily a 5. I get 0 hint of metal or overly-tart fruit. I DO get plenty of chocolate, sugary coffee, ...more chocolate. Definitely a good amount of vanilla in it. What a balanced smell - nothing overpowers but all the elements smell great.

T - My mind was just as blown as it was with Bomb!. A lot of the same characteristics: chocolate, coffee, hint of spice, 0 mineral or metal taste. A little more mild on the spice, and slightly sweeter than I remembered Bomb! to be.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation. Drinks VERY smoothly for a beer with 13% ABV. Slightly viscous, but nothing like Ten Fidy or Uncle Jacob's. I could drink this all day.

O - I would drink this all day, but I would be left very drunk. Right up there with bomb. I would say tied, only a slight variation with the base beer being Even More Jesus from Evil Twin (one of my other favorite beers). Get this. If you see it in your local shop, buy it, try it, love it, then get some more.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Acquired in a trade via Facebook. Poured from bottle into a dogfish head signature glass. Pours jet black, no light getting through this baby. Smell is of coffee and vanilla, light chocolate, some chile, no booze whatsoever. Taste is the same, but order reversed. Chile hits up front, chocolate, coffee and vanilla finish, with vanilla being strongest on my end. Chile flavor becomes more pronounced as it warms. All in all, this is one of the best imperial stouts I have ever had, no barrel aging necessary to make this one great. For a 13% abv beer, you'd think it would be boozier, but the booze is entirely hidden. A wonderful offering.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

The beer comes in a pitch black color with brown head.

The aroma is gorgeous. A pop of coffee, tons of chunky chocolate and almost brownie character, a touch of cinnamon and green spicy pepper.

The beer first hits you with a huge mouthfeel, from the base beer. Lots of milk chocolate and roasted malt surrounded by coffee bitterness, cinnamon, and a medium minus amount of spiciness on the back. A bit light on the pepper as the chocolate and spices dominant.

A delicious brew that reasonably diverges from the phenomenal Even More Jesus base beer.

4.71/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fresh, extremely smooth non bitter coffee notes, the cacao and vanilla also come through. This bottle is dessert, and the coffee is great. Not overly lush but smooth which I really enjoy.

EDIT: The chiles are perfectly mild, but still flavorful to me and came not with but after the coffee, which is so smooth and lush that it really evens out the heat.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Re-rate on 04/27/2015, in Dallas, TX.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The "Bomb" is still my fave but the chocolate is good. $7.59 for 12 ounces.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked this one up on a trade. Since I finished with Evil Twin last night I thought I would pick back up with them tonight in a different way and also enjoy one of my new favorite breweries Prairie.

Appearance: Dark black as night pour. Head is pretty large and caramel in color with a fairly aggressive pour. Although it dissipates pretty quickly after it sits for a few between sips.

Aroma: Chocolate and coffee immediately hits you. Earthy notes also come forward. I do not detect the vanilla quite as much as I would have expected based upon the advertisement on the bottle. It is very robust in the malty category as well.

Taste: Chocolate, malts, coffee and earthy chili peppers (which reminds me a lot of Bomb, and for good reason!) At first I did not detect the heat from the chili's but I did get the terroir that comes from the peppers themselves. Almost like you can taste the earth from which they were grown in this and is why I love Bomb so much. Anyway, after you drink it and let it sit on your tongue for a few minutes you get some heat on the back of the tongue and the throat. My only complaint if any is it is not as viscous as you would expect a beer of this nature to be, otherwise its very solid!

Overall: Yet another great beer from Prairie and even better than the other beers I have had from Evil Twin. Who should receive the accolades? I would place my bets on Prairie. I have not had Even More Jesus, so I cannot compare in that respect. Should I down the road obtain an EMJ I will revisit this one because I have another!

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours thick, black and velvety. Almost no head that quickly dissipates.

S- Tons of fresh ground coffee and chocolate right up front. Some molasses and spice underneath that.

M-Velvety and luscious, but a little thinner than you would guess which stops it from getting syrupy.

T- Heavy on the chocolate with bitter coffee and vanilla notes. A wonderful chocolate flavor lingers in the mouth while the chilies give a warm, slight burning in the back of the throat and chest that builds with each sip. Also taste a mild underlying acidic quality that helps clean the palate. Alcohol is almost completely hidden, even as the beer warms.

O- This is a great, great imperial coffee stout. Huge flavors that are going everywhere, yet none of the flavors overpower or interfere with each other. Definitely worth picking up.

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black as pitch with a thick mocha head that dissipates quickly. Lots of chocolate and coffee on the nose with notes of vanilla, pepper, and a slight hint of alcohol, reminiscent of those chocolate liquors popular around the holidays. Bitterness from the rich roasted malts hit the tongue first followed by some slight pepper heat. Finishes slightly bitter and dry. This is one super smooth sipper that packs a wallop. A complex and extremely well crafted collaboration from two master stout brewers.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Big, firm, dark brown head (think: foamy chocolate) from a careful center pour. Retention is amazing. Brew is as dark black as any stout I've ever seen. Thick lacing clings all over the glass.

Big dark coffee notes hit first, with a peppery chile right behind. Vanilla, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and cacao follow, but the aroma is dominated by the chile and coffee.

Taste follows: big chile notes up front; incredibly smooth chocolate laced with vanilla; bitter, earthy, roasted barley; dark, black coffee dancing around the edges and bringing up the rear.

Smooth and silky mouthfeel; full, but not chewy. Long, lingering finish. Decent sting; no foaming.

This is almost the same beer as Bomb!, although I feel the chile pepper is more up front this time around, and the coffee plays more of a role. However, it's the same basic flavors throughout, and once again, they're brought out incredibly well.

Prairie does it again; this is a stout I can't put down, and I want more of it, every day.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like this better than BOMB!

Prairie Artisan Ales / Evil Twin Bible Belt from Prairie Artisan Ales