Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Prairie Ale - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie AlePrairie Ale

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BierGartenok on 11-26-2012

Prairie Ale is our classic saison. We brew this beer with pilsner malt, wheat malt, flaked wheat, and cane sugar. A healthy dose of saaz hops are used to add a spicy element to the beer. Prairie Ale is fermented with a mix of ale yeast, wine yeast, and brettanomyces. Notes of black pepper and pineapple can be found in this beer.
3.12/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

16.9 oz. bottle purchased at Sunset Corners in Miami, FL, unknown bottling date, drank over 30 minutes out of a hotel-style tumbler

A: 3/3 - straw yellow coloration, murky (cannot read or see through), initial eggshell white head settles into a retained glass lacing with some carb islands, low-to-moderate carbonation for style

S: 8/12 - intense phenolics hits immediately, some residual wheat and maybe a hint of alcohol?

T: 8/20 - on the front of the tongue, there's a lemon tartness that is the first flavor present; there is also a wheat malt presence, some mild alcohol and a slight sweetness; however, as the flavor panel develops, the predominant flavor quickly becomes an intense phenolic character - smoky and musty-predominant that lingers; finishes generally dry but the phenolics aren't inviting of subsequent sips

M: 4/5 - light bodied with high drinkability; moderate carbonation but maybe slightly less than I would like for style

O: 5/10 - the intense phenolics (likely from Brett) make this close to a drain pour for me; this character can add complexity in moderation and it's unfortunate that this so overshoots; definitely wouldn't pay ~$13 for this again and, to be frank, might even refuse if offered for free

TOTAL - 27/50 (1,252 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -21.5%

500ml bottle, 8.2% alcohol drank last night. Review from notes.

A: Poured into my Treehouse tulip a very large, five fingers head that hangs around for a while. Very active and lively carbonation. There is a light golden color, extremely clean/clear with no haze. Interesting for a saison.

A: Hint of funk in the smell upon first pour. As the bouquet opens up the funk disappears and we are left with overwhelming aroma of peppercorn. Didn't get many fruity esters from the saison yeast and after the first hit of funk it's nowhere to be found.

T: Peppercorn. Very strong peppercorn flavor up front. I searched around for any brettanomyces characteristics but sadly there were none. The pepper was overwhelming.

M: Can't really tell that it's over 8%. Wouldn't have believed it if the bottle didn't tell me so. Light mouthfeel.

O: Typical saison. The combination of yeasts really fell short for me. I was hoping to have a brett bomb but instead found a good example of the saison style. This was very refreshing and drinkable but wasn't exactly for me. I wouldn't seek this one out and may not drink it again. I've had many great drinks from Prairie and would rather enjoy one of those again than this. (1,208 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Belgian style saison." 1 pint 9.4 fl z brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a branded cork acquired at Jester King brewery and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. I dig the label art. 8.2% ABV confirmed. Expectations are high as I've enjoyed other beers from this brewery and this beer is currently in the top 50 Southwest. 2013 vintage. Distributed by the Shelton Bastards.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Not creamy at all. Lacks frothiness. Complexion is subpar. Not soft. Kind of soapy. Spotty "legs" cling to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is pretty good for the ABV - about 5-6 minutes.

Body colour is a hazy translucent yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. Not really transparent.

Overall, it looks pretty standard for a saison. I'm a bit surprised it's not yeasty. Doesn't have the milky appearance of the finest saisons. Not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Belgian pale malts. Floral hops. Vague orchard fruit. Lemongrass. Tinges of lemon. Grains. Straw/hay. Some citrus zest. Restrained brettanomyces funkiness. Some spice - clove. Orchard apple. Sea salt. Lime. Dry white wine. Light crackery malts.

I'm not finding the deep funkiness or white pepper notes that indicate a great saison. Nor is it very milky.

A somewhat dry aroma of surprisingly light strength. Pleasant and inviting, if a bit weak.

Mf/T: The first thing I notice is its dry cidery crisp mouthfeel, which is more coarse than I'm used to in the style. The result is that the texture really brings out the flavours, but it's a bit rough as a trade-off, reducing its ability to refresh. Well-carbonated. Medium bodied. A bit too assertive a texture for the style, which is meant to be the king of complexity and subtlety. Interesting presence on the palate. Good acidity, to style. Not as juicy

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, boozy, or hot.

Lemongrass is abundant, layered atop Belgian pale malts, crackery malts, straw/hay, and rye. There's plenty of spicing here, but none of the spices are particularly evocative or distinct - maybe clove and allspice, along with some sea salt. White pepper does make an appearance, but it's a bit too in-your-face and lacks the masterful subtlety of the best saisons. Has some slight citrusy twang - tinges of lemon, lime, and orange rind all make an appearance. The brettanomyces yeast isn't as funky as I'd like; the farmhouse character isn't as pronounced as it should be as a result.

Hopping is timid but complementary: the fruity and floral character the hops impart is welcome if indistinct.

Alcohol is noticeable, which is surprising in a saison.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the high ABV. I like the dry assertive texture; Prairie committed to its mouthfeel and I respect that. It's more of a farmhouse ale than a saison if we're being all nitpicky and pretentious. At the end of the day, it's not up there with the best beers in the style, and at this price I wouldn't get it again. There are imports at or below this price point that are superior in quality. Might be interesting aged. I wouldn't explicitly recommend it to friends, but it's worth trying.

I was ready to gush over this beer, but it just isn't fantastic. Like it, don't love it. Good stuff, but not Prairie's strongest work.

B- (3,648 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Stuff I don't like in an objectively good beer: Pilsner malt, wheat malt, Saaz hops, and Brett. Between spicy hops and saison-style yeast, I just kinda want it to calm down and smoothen out. It is, nevertheless, a classic saison! Black pepper and whatever pineapple are undertones. I should read the description before I buy it, but I'm glad I to try it! $10 for another bottle: no way. (390 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Taphouse, Copenhagen
Who knows when the keg was tapped...

A - big white head that recedes to a lasting thing cap. Super clear light yellow body that starts to look really pale when backlit

S - not much happening. Light tropical fruits Nd
yeast

T - light malts and a touch of white pepper

M - really full with a slight bitter finish

O - it's a pleasant beer, but boring (385 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

500ml bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color. I always say "never trust a clear saison", and I'm glad to see this is completely opaque. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. It's both very foamy and long-lasting (unfortunately), leaving behind an incredible amount of lacing on the glass. This gets a high score for being cloudy, even if the haze isn't aesthetically pleasing. (4.25)

Smell: Well, this hits all of the criteria I like from a 'normal' saison. I get lots of straw and grass, backed by notes of black pepper, earth, and bread. Only disappointment is how light the brett seems. Still, this could be the closest any American brewer has come to matching Saison Dupont... (4)

Taste: Bready notes open it up nicely, transitioning into powerful spiciness. The finish is quite fruity and sweet. It's decently rustic, but the brett doesn't really pop as much as I'd like. The higher-than-normal gravity doesn't give that much complexity to this - it only serves to make this beer flabbier than it needs to be. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: It wants so hard to be crisp, light, and effervescent. Unfortunately, the lingering sweetness on the back end puts a damper on everything. I just don't like it when a saison is syrupy, that's all. At least the carbonation is powerful. (2.5)

Overall: If there are any beers that could benefit from a lower ABV, this is it. The higher gravity makes it sweeter than I like my saisons to be, but the actual flavors are done well. Pretty disappointing given the price and the brewery's hype. (3.25)

3.42/5: It smelled like it would be as good as Dupont...too bad it isn't (1,638 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy citrus color with a fluffy two finger head that dissipates to a soapy top.
S: Grapes, lemon, funkiness, and wine like.
T: funk, lemon, grapes, and rubbing alcohol. Very off-putting.
M: Medium/heavy, medium carbonation, and a dry/bitter finish.
O: The more I continue to drink this the more I don't like it, but it looks and smells good. (354 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy golden color. Considerable amount of bubbles. Very little head and lacing.

Definite sour notes with peaches and grapes. Almost has a white wine aroma.

Notes of grapes and grass in the taste. Only slightly sour. Can taste the alcohol but not too overpowering. Hints of earthiness and spices. I am definitely getting a white wine vibe with this beer. Light-bodied and fairly oily. Not as carbonated as it looked.

Overall this is a bit of a disappointment for me but maybe I am unfairly comparing it to Bomb which I found fantastic. I thought it would pack more of a punch. The white grape smell and taste is fairly strong and makes it feel like I am drinking carbonated wine. Its an interesting beer but not jumping out at me. (797 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

From bottle to DFH IPA glass because why not...

A. Pours a very cloudy straw gold. I think some of the sediment may have come out on this one...my fault for not being more careful with the pour. The cloudiness actually adds to the appearance, though, giving it a subtle glow in the glass. About two fingers of creamy white head with tight and consistent bubbles flare up. Settles to a finger and then lingers for the duration. Lacing is equally dense and consistent. Great looking beer.

S. Lots of pear and grapeskin on the nose. Hints of cracked better and bread crust. Faint lemon zest and traces of clove and banana. This is a complex and inviting bouquet. It"s spicy and lively.

T. A bit more one-note than the nose and very much like the other Prairie saisons I've enjoyed. I get the aforementioned grape notes with grapefruit and lemon zest. Fairly bitter hop presence on the mid and a drying and yeasty finish. Lots of fruity esters up front and some phenolic notes on the back end.

M. It starts sweet, fruity, and intriguing and then finishes in a wave of dry, bitter, phenols with booze, yeast, and hops all popping up. Imbalanced and slightly off-putting finish.

O. After the pour and the nose I was really invested, but the taste and mouthfeel let me down. I feel this one is out of balance, with a finish that is overly dry and phenolic. It is similar to a Belgian Pale but there's just no balance, which makes this a one-note experience, and not altogether a pleasant one the more and more I sip it. This is a decent enough offering, but a disappointment after all the good things I've heard about Prairie. (1,624 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Interesting choice of name since this is a saison.

Pours a nice cloudy beer, with nice head. Aroma reveals a little lambic, a little citrus. Taste is bitter, funky because of the lambic, maybe the farmhouse style, but it is interesting. However I did not think this is a great saison, not even a good saison. I would prefer to think of it as a saison style ale, because of the mix of tart beer in it.

One of the things that I found strange was that at some point the beer smelled like urine. Strange and off putting. (519 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled yesterday on 7/7/15. Comes in a 12 ounce bottle from Prairie Artisan Ales (Krebs Brewing Company) in Krebs, Oklahoma. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 14 ounce handled-glass stein.

Brew pours a hazy apricot in color with a good 1+-finger thick foamy white head A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped that stuck to the sides. Lots of sediment is seen in the bottom of the bottle after the pour. Aroma is grassy with some spice and citrus zest. More going on with the taste as there is some peppery yeast, wheat also with the lemon zest crispness near the end. Slight dry and bitter finish but didn't last too long. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it tasted better when it warmed up some. Not a big fan overall of this style of brew, but this one was better than most. (836 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- gushes out of the bottle with a huge force. Not surprisingly the pour into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip is cloudy, with a huge white head of loose bubbles that fades very slowly leaving thick laces. Color is a cloudy light gold.

S- funk, hay, noble hops, pear, banana, cardamom, mineral water, maybe a touch of alcohol. Smells like a funky farmhouse ale with lots of complex characteristics.

T/M- Dry and highly carbonated. Starts with a soft lemony bite that fades to bready and hay like malt mixed with a farmyard funk that displays decaying earth, before a fairly bitter and dry swallow. Taste seems to lack some of the complexity of the nose with the spice and fruit largely displaced by the earthy funk, the sweet malt and the intense combination of carbonation and bitterness.

O- I'm going back and forth on this one. While it delivers what it promises (farmyard) the extreme carbonation and moderate bitterness are a bit off putting and as it warms the alcohol, rather than fruit or spice, is the most increasingly noticeable attribute. (1,045 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Old Toad in Rochester, NY.

Pours a golden clear yellow, with a small half inch inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite yeasty, it's fruity and spicy, with some peppery hop aromas.

The yeast is just honestly too overpowering for me in this one, it got tiring. It's too fruity and estery. I wish the hops, or some malt shone through a little stronger, because the little bit of peppery hops I do get are very tasty.

This is light bodied, with a slightly oily mouthfeel, with a little crisp bite near the end.

Not my favorite saison. (561 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale champagne colour, cloudy with floaties. Head is foamy, white and like an obliging madam - reassuring and sexy. Looks good.

Smells tart and funky. Citric, acidic with a decent, earthy barnyard funk. Touch of caramel vanilla in there, and green apple. Funky, but inviting, like a lonely John Travolta c. 1978.

Taste is buttery, funky. Lots of Chardonnay oak with that smooth buttery flavour that gets a little sweet at the back. Notes of horse blanket, damp basement and some mild peppery dry spice. That buttery oak is a little strong; could use more tartness in the back (not just funk) to freshen it up.

Bit of pull from yeasts, but also a little fizzy. Not enough body to carry it off.

Nice enough, but leans quite heavily on some strong flavours which end up subjugating the overall drinkability. (808 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a tulip. Look: cloudy yellowish gold. Huge white foam head. Good lacing on the glass as I drank. Smell: citrus, hops. A little Belgian yeast smell. Taste: citrus fruits, moderate hop bitterness. A little bit of toasted bread. Not as complex as I was hoping for a saison. Slightly bitter finish. Feel: light, lots of carbonation. Overall: Not overly impressed but still a decent beer. This was my first Prairie Ale to try. I'd be willing to try others but this probably wouldn't be my go-to saison. (531 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

My best friend brought one back for me for christmas because he lives near the brewery. I got it in a Liter bottle, and tried it from there.

I poured it into a standard pint glass, Nothing too fancy. It pours extremely cloudy, and is a fairly pale, yellow orange. The head was relatively light and dissipated quickly There was little lacing on the side of the glass.

It smelled fairly standard for a Saison, with few extra scents jumping out at me.

The flavor is also fairly standard. Some barley and wheat. Very little flavor of hops, and very few added flavors.

It is fairly good in the mouth, not leaving any strong or unpleasant flavors.

In the end I would say this is a fairly light, standard American version of a belgium style saison. Its interesting to try once, especially since its a fairly new brewery and will hopefully add to the breweries in Oklahoma, which I find lacking. Its a good starter saison, but not impressive for the experienced saison taster. (977 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Beer Trappe in Lexington.

Semi-hazy yellow-gold with a load of tiny carbonation bubbles rising to a modest but head.  Excellent lacing.

A style I dislike more often than not, this is the exception.  Although the peppery aroma carries a trace of the farmhouse component I dislike, it is mainly floral and secondly fruity.  Even the bready malt dominates the funk.

The flavor largely follows, albeit with more funk evident and some hop bitterness in the finish and aftertaste.

O: refreshing, tame and highly drinkable for style.  (552 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

July 26, 2014
Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a tulip.

A – Hazy, golden or straw colored, with a hint of dark yellow or amber. An inch-plus of creamy frothy head on top. Significantly more head when I sped up the pour on the second glass, almost four inches on top of a couple inches of beer. Tiny amount of sediment in the bottle clouds it up even more at the end.

S – Yeast, acidity, funk. Imagine there’s some lactobacillus or brett in here.

T – Very acidic, slightly tart, taste a lot of lactic acid and strong citrus, mostly lemon. Funky. Again, either lactobacillus or brettanomyces character.

M – Lots of carbonation and effervescent bubbles. Really clears the palate between the bubbles and the acidity. Very refreshing.

O – Solid example of a farmhouse saison / sour. Would like a little more balance with the acidity. (847 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Owen.

Pours yellow with nice white head and cloudy lacing.

Smell is a lot of pineapple and tropical, water cracker flavour and some rice crackers. There are hints of sourness and full on Brett here but really just a lot of pineapple. Bit of Belgian yeast. As time goes on it gets funkier, meatier.

Taste is pineapple, tinned peaches. Quite a bit of citrus. More Belgian yeast. Taste is a little sour, seemingly dry for the duration of the palate but finishes with a decent sweetness.

I don't like the sweet citrus thing it's got going on on the palate. It smells dry and Bretty and I wish it didn't have this growing residual sweetness on the palate which for me undermines it.

Good beer, but palate is ultimately too sweet and watery. It's like a spritzer and I find myself wanting more. Just a bit cloying. (824 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

While I have loved everything Prairie Artisan Ales has been doing, I thought Prairie Ale was a little off. I did enjoy it, but the sweetness I got from it seemed to go against the hop and bite I had as well. Still a great beer, but I like the standard and Hop more! (265 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Apricots, toilet funk. Grassy spices that linger in the finish. A bit soft in acidity, would've liked more. Leaves kind of a bittersweet taste which I'm not a fan of. Nice medium-body mouthfeel with high carbonation. Overall, not bad, light and quaffable, but doesn't quite reach greatness because of a misbalance in bitter/sweet/sour axis and too much going on (i.e. not elegant). I remember enjoying the hoppy version of this beer more. (438 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours evenly translucent, rich golden straw. Thick & sticky, rocky head. Super lacing through out.
S: Classic DuPont-esque nose. Nice continental malt aroma. Soft pils sweetness, some modest fruity esters, very faint barnyard spice.
T: Does not meet the palate with the same softness and complexity as the aroma. Very quick hitting, a surprising bitter kick. Dry finish, cleaner than expected. A decent pilsner malt backbone, but there's almost an over crushed husk astringency. Some tartness and a little farmhouse funk mingles in late. Not bad, but not as complex as I'd hoped for. Musca cleaner yeast profile than promised. Missing the brett for sure. Not sure what happened here.
M: Fittingly dry, but the aforementioned astringency is a bit much. Cleaner than it seems like it should be.
O: Oveall, the aroma wrote a check that the taste didn't cash. Good, but not great, counter to what I've come to expect from Prairie. (964 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a golden yellow with a small cap of white head. A bit of sticky lace.

The aroma has a bit of lemon and some hints of grains. Apples are distinct in the background. The pallet has some nice grains and some hints of lemon zest. A touch of sweetness on the finish with some bitter hops.

The body is nice and light with good carbonation. Overall this one drinks nicely. Refreshing and enjoyable. (429 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gushes out of the bottle a foggy yellow color with a tall, foamy white head that settles to a fine covering. Smells of peppery yeast esters, flower petals, Brett, earth, and wet hay. Lots of yeast upfront in the flavor too...peppercorns, zesty citrus pulp, earthy farmhouse funk, spiced apples, flowers, bananas, and grassy hops. Noticeably strong tasting for a Saison, with a little lingering burn. Fluffy medium body, finishing on the dry side. I tend to like my Saisons lighter and less aggressive, but this is pretty nice. (530 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Review from memory a few hours ago.
Bottle from will, thanks for bringing it down!
Pours a nice light mustard yellow with a slowly growing fluffy head. After about 5 minutes it begins to flow out of the glass, amazing retention.
Nose is yeasty farmhouse with a nice funk. Almost expect a bit of sour, it is so funky smelling... But no noticeable tartness on the nose. Great smelling saison.
Very crisp clean tasting, easy smooth finish. Had to check the abv, as it is so drinkable. I guessed it was like 4-5% it is so smooth and easy. A bit soapy when it warms, so I chugged the last quarter, much to my chagrin.
Overall a nice saison, been a while since I had a good one, thanks will! (685 characters)

Prairie Ale from Prairie Artisan Ales