Prairie Funky Galaxy - Prairie Artisan Ales

Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bump8628 on 03-19-2013

1.76/5  rDev -54%

This belgian IPA (or farmhouse as stated on the label) is awful.

Pours a completely murky brownish black. Cloudy with sediment throughout.

Smells alright, just bunches of galaxy hops with a little funk poking through.

Taste is not alright. Tastes like an overly bitter Saison-ish brew. The bitterness is not pleasant at all, and this is coming from someone who loves hoppy beer, and the limited experience I have had with galaxy was pleasing (SS#6, iirc).

I took about half a glass down over an hour, and the rest of the glass and bottle went down the drain. Poor show.

1.88/5  rDev -50.9%

Poured from bottle into globe.
Pours dark, tan head, didn't know this was a black saison. Hmmm.
A bit of muddled hops hiding some possible lacto (?) scent. No roast malts, no saison yeasts, odd.
First drink yeilds a touch of roast malt that never show their face again, no funk, no brett, no saison yeast flavors. Just some galaxy hops. Now that I'm drinking I attribute thhe faint lacto scent to the galaxy hops. This is a one note beer.
Mouthfeel is okay. Light bodied, doesn't coat the tongue, ok carbonation.
Overall, I'm bummed about this one. I was expecting a nice brett preesence, and not expecting roasted malts. In the end I got a mediocre black ipa with one note of hops. A rare miss from the guys at prairie.

2.89/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like funky beers, beers that taste unique and interesting, that go interesting places.

But this beer has too much funk and not enough awesomeness. To be frank, it tastes too much like a beginner's homebrew gone bad. Too many odd flavors and aromas that don't quite fit. Way too thin of a mouthfeel. The toastyness and ctirus aren't playing well together.

It does look nice in the glass - very generous head that leaves lots of Belgian lace on the glass, but this really isn't enough. It should taste good and this beer frankly does not. I really wanted to like it, since it is from Oklahoma and has such clever bottle art, but taste must reign supreme.

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

Tried a two year old bottle. The head was massive. Pours dark, and you can definitely taste the funk. Little bit of hops. Overall it wasn't bad. Probably wouldn't but it again though.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to analogchainsaw for this extra, the last survivor of a trade that, well, this brew has been sitting in the fridge idle for too long. No more. 500ML bottle poured en masse into my big turtle snifter.

The pour is black chased with red highlights, with a booming head. The smell is aiming for truth in advertising. Strong hops, mostly citrus & pine, an edge of roast, & an underlying fetid bog that I associate with certain species of farmhouse ale. Not sure if I love it, but quite interesting.

Funky Galaxy Hopped Black Farmhouse Ale could only get trendier if it had been aged in bourbon barrels & spelunker aged. The beer veers from galaxy-heavy on the nose to farmhouse-heavy on the tongue. Light funk clashes with a stronger roast, & the combination isn’t winning any friends. Pine, citrus trundle into the mid-palate, confusing things even more, even before the yeast bursts through with green apple. The end is drowned in dusty dryness & a queer graininess. Tell me this is oak-aged & even without tasting it I’d believe. I’m not wild about it, but seem to have no problem taking repeated sips.

Sometimes it’s better to toss in the faucet, drains, pipes…& just leave the kitchen sink moored securely in the countertop. We all love a complex beer, but there seems to be a brushfire war going on between the various ingredients here, & they don’t mesh well at all. Still decent enough.

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Jet black body with a thick, creamy, light tan head. Citrus and pine hop notes; slightly phenolic. Light flavor of dark malts, a twinge of cocoa; bitter and astringent finish. Medium-light body.

A beer I'd really like to enjoy but the phenolic and bitter nature in the taste overwhelms all the other good parts. Perhaps this is all due to this being a farmhouse ale and some brettanomyces yeast action in the beer. Drinkable, but looks better than it tastes.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Been hearing all the craic over galaxy hops and I'm a Prairie fan, so I figured I'd pick this one up. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with neat label art and a hood-and-wire cap over a cork acquired at me local HEB grocery and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. Reviewed as a black farmhouse ale because it identifies as such on the label. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 8% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of the review. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No beer surged out upon popping the cork.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 4.5 finger wide head of khaki-beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decently frothy. Doesn't have much lacing or "legs." Head retention is good for the relatively high ABV - about 7-8 minutes.

Body colour is an extremely dark amber that could easily be mistaken for black if not for the telling translucency about the edges of the pour in my glass. Quite dark to the point of nontransparency. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's certainly darker than any farmhouse ale I've ever seen. It's intriguing, but I admit I'm a bit weary.

Sm: Lovely white pepper notes, but I find the overt roastiness beneath them to be a bit jarring. It's not unpleasant - just different. Hop character is floral and fruity in a gripping but vague sense; I pick up lots of different fruits but have trouble picking each note out. I think I get mango, apricot, and some sort of slightly zesty rind. There's also heavy usage of crackery lightly bready malts in the body, with some dark malts in there too. I get some light spicing in the form of fennel or licorice. Cinnamon, allspice. Touches of cocoa dust. Peppercorn is prominent on the back end. A clean cohesive aroma of moderate strength, featuring some interesting subtlety. It's a wet spritzy aroma, which is nice.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Cocoa dust throughout. It's got a musty taste and I think the spritzy peppery character clashes with the sweeter maltiness here. Hopping is too incisive for the style, aggressively hitting the drinker with floral, fruity, and zesty notes that don't fit in the style or the flavour profile: flowers, mango, bright berries, persimmon and unwelcome citrus. I have a feeling I'll come to like galaxy hops, but boy does this hop character not belong in this style. It's got light roasted barley notes, a vague graininess, and a heavy dose of crackery malts.

Interesting spicing: fennel, peppercorn, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne. I get some light brettanomyces funkiness as well as a yeasty biscuity character.

This beer isn't really coming together like it should. Not gestalt, and hardly cohesive. There's a lot of competition between flavours rather than synergy. Balance is troublesome but passable. I think the problem lies in the build; the choices of hop strain and hop quantity were poor, and while the concept of Americanizing a traditional Belgian style by making it "dark" is interesting, I don't feel this flavour profile represents a sound execution of that concept.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side for a farmhouse ale. The flavour intensity is somewhat high, but saisons/farmhouse ales are a showcase for subtlety and balance, not overbearing flavour. Flavour duration is average/good for the style.

The peppery character is a highlight for me, and it's something I always look for in the best saisons. Good execution on that front. Certainly not a boring or bland beer.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Spritzy yet musty and somewhat dry. Smooth and approachable, with some coarseness emerging in the second act - which coaxes out the cocoa nicely but lends the texture a rough edge that distracts. Good carbonation; bottle conditioning was an excellent choice here. Suits the flavour profile pretty well overall, but I wouldn't say it feels like the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. It could be softer.

Not harsh, gushed, boozy, oily, or hot.

Dr: A downable beer for its ABV, but unfortunately not one I'd get again. There are better beers in the saison/farmhouse ale style at this price point. I will say it makes me interested in the concept behind the beer, but that's not enough. Execution must accompany premise. I imagine there are those who will really embrace this beer, and hopefully that will encourage more breweries to innovate in this new approach to the style. As much as I want to support Prairie, I won't be recommending this beer to friends. I'll easily kill my bottle and I can't knock its drinkability, but the overall package could use some work.

I did enjoy the cocoa dust aspect of this brew, and I'd like to see that note as well executed in future beers I try of this style as it was here.

Low B-

3.31/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours out to a huge rocky head that gushes out of the tulip glass. Head is 3/4 inch and permanent as hell. Deep dark stoutlike color. Aroma was downright funky. I am one of those that detects phenolics at low levels and the phenolics were raging in this one. Smelled more like vinyl than bubblegum and clove. Also a very fruity hop nose as well. Flavor is wild and complex, lots of tropical fruit, spice, bubblegum and roasted malts and a strong bitter foundation. Mouthfeel was surprising on the light side with moderate carbonation. Overall, a funky brew for funky times.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color that resembles cola. A dense, two finger tan head forms with good retention and plenty of lace.
S: Contrary to what the color would make me suspect, this is all hops up front. Citrus, pineapple, resiny piny hops. Yep, I would say Galaxy hops for sure, with that high alpha acidic and tropical fruit aroma. Maybe some light chocolate and caramel malts in the background.
T: Follows the nose with a huge tropical fruit flavor up front. Citrus, orange, pineapple. A resiny and piny bitterness lingers for a bit. Then the malts come in. Lightly roasted, caramel and chocolate. Muddled once the malts kick in. Where is the rustic saison character I love in other Prairie offerings?
M/D: A medium to full body. Crisp carbonation at first. Though becomes more resinous and sticky as this warms. A muddled mess for a saison. Not bad by any means, and I will finish the bottle. Though not something I really want to come back to.

Not a saison in the least. The flavor and aroma are so counter to the appearance it is almost a shock. Really more of a pale ale profile with a light roasted malt background. If I want one of those I will buy one. I want awesome saisons from Prairie, and this is not it.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served out of a Prairie Teku. Translucent dark brown pour with a bit of brown head and limited lace but legs on the sip that linger for a second or two. Smells a bit earthy dirt and hint of lemon. Tastes similar with some lemon grass but slight unpleasant bitterness. Nicely carbonated and slightly weak on consistency

Overall not my favorite prairie slightly forgettable but ok

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. The 1-inch, tan head didn't go anywhere. It just sat there, daring me to drink it. Very dark brown, not quite black. Sour smelling, with lots of funky yeast and hops, some ammonia. This one's weird, with lots of flavors, aromas going on, some of which are, for me, unpleasant. The initial taste is sour, fermented grain, lots of hops; then smoke, more hops, then ammonia, sweet sour fruit. It's a beautiful looking bear, with the head down to 1/2 an inch, and the alcohol is perfectly masked. The beer tasted like a very good dark IPA, clean, some nice lacing I'm very glad I tried this, though not sure I'd search it out again.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Look: Opaque black with a mocha head. Poured slowly and the head grew super aggressive. Nice lacing on the way down.

Smell: lots of pineapple, and green apple on the nose, with a bitter tart Brett like funk on the finish. Smells wet and dank but finished with a huge crisp Farmhouse Funk.

Taste: Woah this is out there. Up front it is tart and funky like a saison. But the finish is citrusy like a black IPA. Getting tart fruit, cranberries, Brett, green apple, yeast, pineapple, peach, and more funk. With a hint of bitter chocolate on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Starts off clean and tart but sort of spreads like a citrusy IPA. A bit creamy with a light to medium body.

Overall: strange. Good and unique. Like nothing I have ever had. To sum it up it's like a saison with a black IPA but that is under selling it.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Craftshack
Pours a fairly dark brown with a huge creamy tan head that persists forever. Holy hopness batman, that is one hopified saison aroma. Earthy floral and spicy hop nose co existing with a slightly funky, sour overly ripe grapefruit aroma. The flavor is light sweet honey malt beneath layers of light funk and tart sour fruits. Lingering earthy hop flavor, light chocolate, and aspirin in the finish. Medium body with moderate to high level of carbonation and a tart slick mouthfeel. Odd mesh of flavors that did gradually wear on me. Nice to try, but I probably wouldn't seek out again.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours coffee black with a two finger khaki head with great retention/lacing.

S - Earth, hay and citrus notes.

T - Mild citrus tartness starts off and it develops into a malty backbone with cocoa powder.

M - Light bodied and high carbonation. It has a dry finish to it.

O - This would probably work good if it wasn't a black saison. I just don't think the galaxy hops mix well with it.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle with no date into the modified tulip glass.
A - Black ,licorice black, massive froth of varying bubble size. A steady stream of ferocious
carbonation tries to escape the glass .
S - Band aid, a hint of cocoa, and a bit of hoppy grass notes. and more Band aids.
T - Malt forward, a bit of herbal note from the Galaxy, there is no balance to this, sharp edges and muted
middle, the Brett is so far forward that most else is muted.
M - Here the offering is at it's best. medium in body, wonderful carbonation, and a fine linger.
O - A very aggressive Brett presence dominates the offering, the base malts are robust, the hops are buried in mix.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Dark, or black Saisons may be making a return from the depths of Belgian farmhouse lore, but Prairie Ales brings the crisp and clean taste of modern Saisons to life and builds complexities on newly derived hops for citrusy and tropical effects. It's the new way to build a beer.

Medium brown in its pour, the mostly-hazy ale shows burnish gold highlight around the edges. The beer builds a lightened and airy foam structure from sandy tan froth- it simply looks like a dry ale. Firm withstanding and intricate lace speaks to well made Belgian ales.

Zesty tart fruits leap from the late hop additions in the form of musty grapefruit, oranges, apricots, and mangoes. Riding closely behind are darker notes of toast char, cocoa powder, and weathered wood. A deeper whiff reveals even more musty quality of light mushroom and freshly cracked peppercorn. With little in the way of sweetness, the nose picks up on light brown sugar notes in support of the toast, spice, and hops.

The typical dry spicy taste of Saisons are complemented by the dry toast and wood notes that rest early on the palate. With an incredible light taste of brown sugar, the beer avoids the associated sweetness that usuall accompanies the sugar. Additional spices from Galaxy hops offer citrusy bitterness late, but also gives the middle palate a fresh tropical and citrus fruitiness that's usually much less celebrated in Saisons.

Noticeable dryness lifts off the palate early and often. The quick finish nearly makes the beer more appreciated in aftertaste than in its actual procession across the tongue. Prickly, spicy, sawdust-like and peppery- the beer finishes with more than just alcohol warmth. The incredible Galaxy hops deliver a nearly teeth-churning sensation with smooth bitterness to close. tropical. light bitterness.

Saisons aren't normally dark, but the toasted grain accents dryness and allows a brighter peppery note to emerge. Saisons aren't usually fruity either, but the hops gives it a common bitter character with uncommon complexities. It's a highly varying beer with each sip that keeps me coming back simply by curiosity alone.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a hoppy guy - in fact I thought this was going to be just a regular black ale, but I was pleasantly surprised. It poured with a lot of head and effervesced a scent that reminded me of the days walking through Portland where Bridgeport is brewing up their hops and the whole block smelled like heaven. Great taste, really wakes up your mouth, a little thick on the end.

Probably the best thing ever to come out of Oklahoma.

3.64/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a 2 year old bomber into chalice.
Look - pours dark with massive tan head. Retains nicely, moderate lace.
Smell - big phenolic flavors reminiscent of band-aid/medicinal.
Taste - lots of funk upfront. Soapy, earthy funk. Get a bit of the hops on the back end.
Feel - medium-bodied; high level of carbonation.
Overall - almost like two different beers. Funky saison upfront, black IPA on the end. Interesting.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanksgiving beer.

This beer pours a medium bodied pitch black in color, almost like a porter, with a one finger creamy mocha colored head. The nose features a good amount of funky brett with dark malt and light leather. The flavors are very dry and funky. It initially drinks like an Irish stout before dive bombing into the yeast. The brett is almost overpowering. It almost has some plastic to it as well. There is some galaxy hop character but it struggles to fight through the dark malt and brett. It drinks medium in body and very dry. Overall I think this would've been better suited as a blonde, especially since all of their lighter wilds have been home runs. The roasty dark malt just took too much away from the most intriguing parts of this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Funk indeed, Galaxy not so much. Quite a bit of funk going on here, not so much sour as the stinky cheese and barnyard variety. That's all well and good, and as advertised, but the hops are completely overshadowed and the dark, dry malts don't match very well here with the funk or lend any real support. A bit of a mish-mash and a one trick pony. Just okay.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: appear black in the glass, but held up to the light it shows to be a fairly translucent brownish gray. Forms a moderate sized sort of gray, sort of tan colored head head. Minimal lacing.

S: aroma is dominated by Galaxy. Orange and citrus, but then the roasted malt flavor muddles things up. Gives it a dirty quality.

T: taste is similar. Again there is Galaxy, with the citrus and orange, but then there is the black, roasted malt quality. Slightly acidic. Slight coffee quality. And again, the "black" portion of the beer just seems to muddle this beer up, throwing off the pleasant juiciness of the Galaxy and the lightness of the farmhouse.

M: on the lighter side of medium in body. Good carbonation. Mild, roasts malt bitterness.

O: this isn't a Bad beer, but its on odd combination that I'm not entirely sure that works.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky brown body. Khaki head. Surface pocked by foam circles. Wispy surface.

Smell - Bretty, slightly acidic. Nothing really funky about it. Definitely some galaxy hop aroma to it. Very earthy. Some dark malts come through.

Taste - Much brettier. Very earthy. Less acidic. Nutty malts. Some hints of chocolate. Lends a creaminess to it.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Medium bodied. That creaminess is nice.

Overall - Not seeing a ton of variation from these Prairie beers. They're all pretty tasty, without being outstanding.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a deep black with a creamy head reminiscent of a root beer float. Smells unlike any other beer I've had. Smokey, hoppy, grainy, malty spice, with fruit and licorice thrown in. Sounds crazy, but the smell reminds me of an old pharmacy from my childhood. Coffee, citrus and hops are heavy, with a woody quality. Nice bitterness. Medium mouth. This wouldn't be my everyday beer, but it is excellently unique.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Winooski Beverage Warehouse. From notes.

A - Black pour, creamy mocha head of two fingers. Good thick rings of lace and a half finger of retention.

S - Funky, Bretty, spoiled fruits, dark fruit.

T - Funky and Bretty again.Quite fruity, pineapple. Hoppier than the aroma, but the classic big tropical Galaxy profile is defintely was overshadowed by the Brett. Dark fruit, some roast, more citrus as it warmed but it was still masked by Brett.

M - Good carbonation, medium to full creamy body and a sweet fruit Brett finish.

O/D - Quite an interesting beer. Such a shame the Galaxy was so hidden. Complex and tasty nonetheless.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

So that's where the Parliament/Funkadelic spaceship came from... Anyway, this stuff pours a brackish sienna topped by more than enough khaki foam. The nose comprises watered-down candi sugar, light greens, a hint of mild funk, and a faint undercurrent of very light cocoa. The taste holds notes of light chocolate powder, candi sugar, clove, mild mixed greens, some mild funk (mostly in the finish), and a hint of grapefruit rind. Everything is sorta muddled, but somehow in a good way. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, an odd but pleasant beer, one that must be tasted to be understood (to whatever limited degree you can).

Prairie Funky Galaxy from Prairie Artisan Ales