Prairie Funky Galaxy - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Funky GalaxyPrairie Funky Galaxy

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bump8628 on 03-19-2013)

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Deep brown with amber accents. Huge light tan head of 3-4 fingers that persists despite the gentlest of pours. Staying power for days! First black saison and ready to roll.

S- Passion fruit, moderate citrus, lots of funk, wet musk of a damp cellar. Fresh cut grass and lemon as well. Its an interesting mix, but I'm intrigued

T- Funky is no lie! Outstanding combo of the musky, powdery Brett yeasts with the toasted yet peppery malt character. The spry, fruit character of the galaxy hops come together nicely with some intense bitterness. A level of tart has somehow woven its way into the mix. A leather-like aftertaste.

M- Creamy and heavier than most farmhouse tend to be, but the drinkability is unphased. Mid body, crisp, dry finish reminds you that you are still messing with a saison. Touch of alcohol warmth. Chalky and bitter.

O- Impressive. It may not be the most highly rated from this brewery, but one of my favs from them. So different from anything I've tried. One of the best galaxy hop uses i have had. It certainly has some funk in the trunk...and i dig it! If you are a traditionalist that is scared to break free from the norms, don't bother with this one. It will scare you.

$10.99 750 ml bottle

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served out of a Prairie Teku. Translucent dark brown pour with a bit of brown head and limited lace but legs on the sip that linger for a second or two. Smells a bit earthy dirt and hint of lemon. Tastes similar with some lemon grass but slight unpleasant bitterness. Nicely carbonated and slightly weak on consistency

Overall not my favorite prairie slightly forgettable but ok

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Been hearing all the craic over galaxy hops and I'm a Prairie fan, so I figured I'd pick this one up. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with neat label art and a hood-and-wire cap over a cork acquired at me local HEB grocery and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. Reviewed as a black farmhouse ale because it identifies as such on the label. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 8% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of the review. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No beer surged out upon popping the cork.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 4.5 finger wide head of khaki-beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decently frothy. Doesn't have much lacing or "legs." Head retention is good for the relatively high ABV - about 7-8 minutes.

Body colour is an extremely dark amber that could easily be mistaken for black if not for the telling translucency about the edges of the pour in my glass. Quite dark to the point of nontransparency. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's certainly darker than any farmhouse ale I've ever seen. It's intriguing, but I admit I'm a bit weary.

Sm: Lovely white pepper notes, but I find the overt roastiness beneath them to be a bit jarring. It's not unpleasant - just different. Hop character is floral and fruity in a gripping but vague sense; I pick up lots of different fruits but have trouble picking each note out. I think I get mango, apricot, and some sort of slightly zesty rind. There's also heavy usage of crackery lightly bready malts in the body, with some dark malts in there too. I get some light spicing in the form of fennel or licorice. Cinnamon, allspice. Touches of cocoa dust. Peppercorn is prominent on the back end. A clean cohesive aroma of moderate strength, featuring some interesting subtlety. It's a wet spritzy aroma, which is nice.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Cocoa dust throughout. It's got a musty taste and I think the spritzy peppery character clashes with the sweeter maltiness here. Hopping is too incisive for the style, aggressively hitting the drinker with floral, fruity, and zesty notes that don't fit in the style or the flavour profile: flowers, mango, bright berries, persimmon and unwelcome citrus. I have a feeling I'll come to like galaxy hops, but boy does this hop character not belong in this style. It's got light roasted barley notes, a vague graininess, and a heavy dose of crackery malts.

Interesting spicing: fennel, peppercorn, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne. I get some light brettanomyces funkiness as well as a yeasty biscuity character.

This beer isn't really coming together like it should. Not gestalt, and hardly cohesive. There's a lot of competition between flavours rather than synergy. Balance is troublesome but passable. I think the problem lies in the build; the choices of hop strain and hop quantity were poor, and while the concept of Americanizing a traditional Belgian style by making it "dark" is interesting, I don't feel this flavour profile represents a sound execution of that concept.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side for a farmhouse ale. The flavour intensity is somewhat high, but saisons/farmhouse ales are a showcase for subtlety and balance, not overbearing flavour. Flavour duration is average/good for the style.

The peppery character is a highlight for me, and it's something I always look for in the best saisons. Good execution on that front. Certainly not a boring or bland beer.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Spritzy yet musty and somewhat dry. Smooth and approachable, with some coarseness emerging in the second act - which coaxes out the cocoa nicely but lends the texture a rough edge that distracts. Good carbonation; bottle conditioning was an excellent choice here. Suits the flavour profile pretty well overall, but I wouldn't say it feels like the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. It could be softer.

Not harsh, gushed, boozy, oily, or hot.

Dr: A downable beer for its ABV, but unfortunately not one I'd get again. There are better beers in the saison/farmhouse ale style at this price point. I will say it makes me interested in the concept behind the beer, but that's not enough. Execution must accompany premise. I imagine there are those who will really embrace this beer, and hopefully that will encourage more breweries to innovate in this new approach to the style. As much as I want to support Prairie, I won't be recommending this beer to friends. I'll easily kill my bottle and I can't knock its drinkability, but the overall package could use some work.

I did enjoy the cocoa dust aspect of this brew, and I'd like to see that note as well executed in future beers I try of this style as it was here.

Low B-