Prairie Funky Galaxy - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bump8628 on 03-19-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 483 | Reviews: 77

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Been hearing all the craic over galaxy hops and I'm a Prairie fan, so I figured I'd pick this one up. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with neat label art and a hood-and-wire cap over a cork acquired at me local HEB grocery and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. Reviewed as a black farmhouse ale because it identifies as such on the label. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 8% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of the review. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No beer surged out upon popping the cork.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 4.5 finger wide head of khaki-beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decently frothy. Doesn't have much lacing or "legs." Head retention is good for the relatively high ABV - about 7-8 minutes.

Body colour is an extremely dark amber that could easily be mistaken for black if not for the telling translucency about the edges of the pour in my glass. Quite dark to the point of nontransparency. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's certainly darker than any farmhouse ale I've ever seen. It's intriguing, but I admit I'm a bit weary.

Sm: Lovely white pepper notes, but I find the overt roastiness beneath them to be a bit jarring. It's not unpleasant - just different. Hop character is floral and fruity in a gripping but vague sense; I pick up lots of different fruits but have trouble picking each note out. I think I get mango, apricot, and some sort of slightly zesty rind. There's also heavy usage of crackery lightly bready malts in the body, with some dark malts in there too. I get some light spicing in the form of fennel or licorice. Cinnamon, allspice. Touches of cocoa dust. Peppercorn is prominent on the back end. A clean cohesive aroma of moderate strength, featuring some interesting subtlety. It's a wet spritzy aroma, which is nice.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Cocoa dust throughout. It's got a musty taste and I think the spritzy peppery character clashes with the sweeter maltiness here. Hopping is too incisive for the style, aggressively hitting the drinker with floral, fruity, and zesty notes that don't fit in the style or the flavour profile: flowers, mango, bright berries, persimmon and unwelcome citrus. I have a feeling I'll come to like galaxy hops, but boy does this hop character not belong in this style. It's got light roasted barley notes, a vague graininess, and a heavy dose of crackery malts.

Interesting spicing: fennel, peppercorn, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne. I get some light brettanomyces funkiness as well as a yeasty biscuity character.

This beer isn't really coming together like it should. Not gestalt, and hardly cohesive. There's a lot of competition between flavours rather than synergy. Balance is troublesome but passable. I think the problem lies in the build; the choices of hop strain and hop quantity were poor, and while the concept of Americanizing a traditional Belgian style by making it "dark" is interesting, I don't feel this flavour profile represents a sound execution of that concept.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side for a farmhouse ale. The flavour intensity is somewhat high, but saisons/farmhouse ales are a showcase for subtlety and balance, not overbearing flavour. Flavour duration is average/good for the style.

The peppery character is a highlight for me, and it's something I always look for in the best saisons. Good execution on that front. Certainly not a boring or bland beer.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Spritzy yet musty and somewhat dry. Smooth and approachable, with some coarseness emerging in the second act - which coaxes out the cocoa nicely but lends the texture a rough edge that distracts. Good carbonation; bottle conditioning was an excellent choice here. Suits the flavour profile pretty well overall, but I wouldn't say it feels like the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. It could be softer.

Not harsh, gushed, boozy, oily, or hot.

Dr: A downable beer for its ABV, but unfortunately not one I'd get again. There are better beers in the saison/farmhouse ale style at this price point. I will say it makes me interested in the concept behind the beer, but that's not enough. Execution must accompany premise. I imagine there are those who will really embrace this beer, and hopefully that will encourage more breweries to innovate in this new approach to the style. As much as I want to support Prairie, I won't be recommending this beer to friends. I'll easily kill my bottle and I can't knock its drinkability, but the overall package could use some work.

I did enjoy the cocoa dust aspect of this brew, and I'd like to see that note as well executed in future beers I try of this style as it was here.

Low B-

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

1 pint 9.4 Fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Now I haven't had a lot of saisons, but I've had my share. This is on the second one that is dark in color. It is pretty much as dark as a stout. I see some amber highlights, but no light is getting through the main part of the glass. I timid pour still yielded me about two thirds of a glass of tan head.

S - I definitely get some funk. It is counterintuitive, but being dark in body, it still has some lemon smell. I also get some floral hops, and it might be my imagination, but I smell a little roasted malt.

T - It starts out having a great saison taste. I get some lemon and dank basement. Then I get the tiniest amount of roasted malt. Then the finish has more bitterness than I have previously experienced with a saison. I am not sure I like that.

M - I has a champagne-like feel. It is very effervescent with a thin to moderate feel.

O - It started out great, but it has a lingering bitterness. To me, that kind of detracts from the experience. I love my hoppy beers but not my saisons. It is interesting. I am intrigued and want to try more from Prairie.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a hoppy guy - in fact I thought this was going to be just a regular black ale, but I was pleasantly surprised. It poured with a lot of head and effervesced a scent that reminded me of the days walking through Portland where Bridgeport is brewing up their hops and the whole block smelled like heaven. Great taste, really wakes up your mouth, a little thick on the end.

Probably the best thing ever to come out of Oklahoma.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Prairie Funky Galaxy from Prairie Artisan Ales