Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Prairie Funky Galaxy - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Funky GalaxyPrairie Funky Galaxy

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bump8628 on 03-19-2013

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served out of a Prairie Teku. Translucent dark brown pour with a bit of brown head and limited lace but legs on the sip that linger for a second or two. Smells a bit earthy dirt and hint of lemon. Tastes similar with some lemon grass but slight unpleasant bitterness. Nicely carbonated and slightly weak on consistency

Overall not my favorite prairie slightly forgettable but ok (379 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Been hearing all the craic over galaxy hops and I'm a Prairie fan, so I figured I'd pick this one up. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with neat label art and a hood-and-wire cap over a cork acquired at me local HEB grocery and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. Reviewed as a black farmhouse ale because it identifies as such on the label. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 8% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of the review. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No beer surged out upon popping the cork.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 4.5 finger wide head of khaki-beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decently frothy. Doesn't have much lacing or "legs." Head retention is good for the relatively high ABV - about 7-8 minutes.

Body colour is an extremely dark amber that could easily be mistaken for black if not for the telling translucency about the edges of the pour in my glass. Quite dark to the point of nontransparency. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's certainly darker than any farmhouse ale I've ever seen. It's intriguing, but I admit I'm a bit weary.

Sm: Lovely white pepper notes, but I find the overt roastiness beneath them to be a bit jarring. It's not unpleasant - just different. Hop character is floral and fruity in a gripping but vague sense; I pick up lots of different fruits but have trouble picking each note out. I think I get mango, apricot, and some sort of slightly zesty rind. There's also heavy usage of crackery lightly bready malts in the body, with some dark malts in there too. I get some light spicing in the form of fennel or licorice. Cinnamon, allspice. Touches of cocoa dust. Peppercorn is prominent on the back end. A clean cohesive aroma of moderate strength, featuring some interesting subtlety. It's a wet spritzy aroma, which is nice.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Cocoa dust throughout. It's got a musty taste and I think the spritzy peppery character clashes with the sweeter maltiness here. Hopping is too incisive for the style, aggressively hitting the drinker with floral, fruity, and zesty notes that don't fit in the style or the flavour profile: flowers, mango, bright berries, persimmon and unwelcome citrus. I have a feeling I'll come to like galaxy hops, but boy does this hop character not belong in this style. It's got light roasted barley notes, a vague graininess, and a heavy dose of crackery malts.

Interesting spicing: fennel, peppercorn, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne. I get some light brettanomyces funkiness as well as a yeasty biscuity character.

This beer isn't really coming together like it should. Not gestalt, and hardly cohesive. There's a lot of competition between flavours rather than synergy. Balance is troublesome but passable. I think the problem lies in the build; the choices of hop strain and hop quantity were poor, and while the concept of Americanizing a traditional Belgian style by making it "dark" is interesting, I don't feel this flavour profile represents a sound execution of that concept.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side for a farmhouse ale. The flavour intensity is somewhat high, but saisons/farmhouse ales are a showcase for subtlety and balance, not overbearing flavour. Flavour duration is average/good for the style.

The peppery character is a highlight for me, and it's something I always look for in the best saisons. Good execution on that front. Certainly not a boring or bland beer.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Spritzy yet musty and somewhat dry. Smooth and approachable, with some coarseness emerging in the second act - which coaxes out the cocoa nicely but lends the texture a rough edge that distracts. Good carbonation; bottle conditioning was an excellent choice here. Suits the flavour profile pretty well overall, but I wouldn't say it feels like the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. It could be softer.

Not harsh, gushed, boozy, oily, or hot.

Dr: A downable beer for its ABV, but unfortunately not one I'd get again. There are better beers in the saison/farmhouse ale style at this price point. I will say it makes me interested in the concept behind the beer, but that's not enough. Execution must accompany premise. I imagine there are those who will really embrace this beer, and hopefully that will encourage more breweries to innovate in this new approach to the style. As much as I want to support Prairie, I won't be recommending this beer to friends. I'll easily kill my bottle and I can't knock its drinkability, but the overall package could use some work.

I did enjoy the cocoa dust aspect of this brew, and I'd like to see that note as well executed in future beers I try of this style as it was here.

Low B- (4,927 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

1 pint 9.4 Fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Now I haven't had a lot of saisons, but I've had my share. This is on the second one that is dark in color. It is pretty much as dark as a stout. I see some amber highlights, but no light is getting through the main part of the glass. I timid pour still yielded me about two thirds of a glass of tan head.

S - I definitely get some funk. It is counterintuitive, but being dark in body, it still has some lemon smell. I also get some floral hops, and it might be my imagination, but I smell a little roasted malt.

T - It starts out having a great saison taste. I get some lemon and dank basement. Then I get the tiniest amount of roasted malt. Then the finish has more bitterness than I have previously experienced with a saison. I am not sure I like that.

M - I has a champagne-like feel. It is very effervescent with a thin to moderate feel.

O - It started out great, but it has a lingering bitterness. To me, that kind of detracts from the experience. I love my hoppy beers but not my saisons. It is interesting. I am intrigued and want to try more from Prairie. (1,125 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a hoppy guy - in fact I thought this was going to be just a regular black ale, but I was pleasantly surprised. It poured with a lot of head and effervesced a scent that reminded me of the days walking through Portland where Bridgeport is brewing up their hops and the whole block smelled like heaven. Great taste, really wakes up your mouth, a little thick on the end.

Probably the best thing ever to come out of Oklahoma. (431 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice to see another craft brewery coming out of Oklahoma. Starting things off with Funky Galaxy from Prairie Artisan Ales. Funky Galaxy is a black saison hopped heavily with galaxy hops. Poured into a Belgian glass. Funky Galaxy pours an inky dark brown. Things are topped off by a healthy 3 fingers of khaki head. Head settles to a ring, leaving some lace in its wake.

The aroma packs punch of complexities. Slightly overripe fruit notes hit first. Tropical fruit stands strong. Mangoes, oranges, and more citrus stand out. Some resiny pine hits beneath the fruit. A mild brett funkiness present as well. Bubblegum and spice also pops. Charred dark malt notes round out the aroma.

Taste follows the nose nicely. Funky Galaxy is a very hop forward saison. More ripe fruit hits the palate. Dry mangoes, and grapefruits hit first. Some orange melds with the grapefruit. Light pine notes round out the hops. Some mild bretty barnyard funk pops underneath the the fruit. Yeasty bubblegum notes melds with an appropriate saison pepperiness. Some dark malt and char flow beneath the hops and yeast. The finish is dry with lingering herbal hop notes.

Funky Galaxy is light bodied with an effervescent carbonation.

Always glad to see a new brewery. Prairie seems to understand how to brew farmhouse ales. Funky Galaxy hits all the right notes for a saison. The galaxy hops add a wonderful complexity of tropical and citrus fruit. The alcohol is kept well in check, only showing towards the end as things warm up. All in all this a nice brew. (1,537 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

A prominent, loud pop upon removing the cork. Not a gusher.

Dark brown throughout with some visible sediment. The color is bordering on black. Plenty of visible carbonation. Quickly forming, tightly-bubbled head. Somewhat persistent.

Not a particularly expressive aroma, but what's here is nice and appropriate given the style. Earth, some char, dark malts, and a hint of a black licorice character combine nicely. More and more of a straw-like and earthy funk emerge as the beer warms.

The flavor follow a similar journey as the aroma, as more and more of the earth/dry, wet hay/funk flavors comes out as the beer warms. Against that is an interesting combination of black, toasted malts, cereal, a touch of char, and some licorice. Very drinkable.

Medium to near full in body for the style. High carbonation.

Tasty, though nothing unexpected or particularly interesting about it. A tasty black saison though, without a doubt. (1,004 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A galaxy-hopped black farmhouse ale. Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a Bell's tulip. Sure didn't have to struggle to get THIS cork out. The moment the cage was loosened, the cork practically leaped from the bottle. It was as if the contents simply couldn't wait to be enjoyed and forced the obstacle out of the bottle. The pour was very dark, clear mahogany with a massive off-white head that slowly dissipates down to a rocky, lacy foam. The nose has an herbal and musty character, like a good Saison should. There are hints of sage, lemon, and tea.

The beer has a light-medium body and a nice earthy flavor. The high carbonation opens the palate, excites the tastebuds, and intensifies the herbal flavors up front. There is just a hint of roastiness and it blends in naturally with the herbal character of the beer, giving an affect not unlike white pepper. If I was blindfolded, I doubt I could tell this is a black Saison. That nice peppery character at mid-palate becomes lemony and dry on the finish as the hops peek in and make sure they're accounted for. Very drinkable for 8.0% ABV, but does not sacrifice complexity at all.

Overall, an exceptional farmhouse ale brewed along traditional standards. The folks at Prairie damn sure know what they're doing when it comes to this style. I am very grateful they are distributed to my area and sometimes I kick myself for not exploring their offerings sooner. Every single beer of theirs I have tried thus far has been of exceptional quality and an absolute joy to drink. (1,537 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

B

750ml into a tulip. In the glass indeed it is black, towering mocha color head, nice lacing.

The aroma is exactly what was expected, the base saison yeast tumbling with the galaxy hops plus an underlying molasses ginger based spice.

The taste also doesn't surprise but doesn't delight. Not as much citrus as anticipated, the galaxy is most obvious in a pleasant bitter. The dark side of the house is of a lightly charred malt which doesn't deserve to be the dominant flavor. Shy of medium lively mouthfeel.
dark saisons seem to be difficult
cheers
jd (555 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color that resembles cola. A dense, two finger tan head forms with good retention and plenty of lace.
S: Contrary to what the color would make me suspect, this is all hops up front. Citrus, pineapple, resiny piny hops. Yep, I would say Galaxy hops for sure, with that high alpha acidic and tropical fruit aroma. Maybe some light chocolate and caramel malts in the background.
T: Follows the nose with a huge tropical fruit flavor up front. Citrus, orange, pineapple. A resiny and piny bitterness lingers for a bit. Then the malts come in. Lightly roasted, caramel and chocolate. Muddled once the malts kick in. Where is the rustic saison character I love in other Prairie offerings?
M/D: A medium to full body. Crisp carbonation at first. Though becomes more resinous and sticky as this warms. A muddled mess for a saison. Not bad by any means, and I will finish the bottle. Though not something I really want to come back to.

Not a saison in the least. The flavor and aroma are so counter to the appearance it is almost a shock. Really more of a pale ale profile with a light roasted malt background. If I want one of those I will buy one. I want awesome saisons from Prairie, and this is not it. (1,235 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Purchased at K&L in Redwood City; $13 for a 750 ml bottle.

There is something spectacular about beer packaged in sparkling wine bottles. From twisting the wire to release the cage to slowly releasing the cork to that satisfying *pop*; I just hope the beer in the package is worth the extra ceremony involved with getting it out. Although I have to say the label is a bit perplexing. Two blue hands pointing at a hot dog and some constellations with early '80s NBA (short shorts) guys...very strange....whatever...on to the beer.

As I pour the beer into a tulip glass, the color reminds me of a cola. The cola similarities do not stop at the color as the carbonation quickly forms a tan-ish head that threatens to overflow the glass but quickly recedes.

Imagine you are making dark chocolate (not that sissy milk chocolate crap) smores over a campfire made with damp hay; that is about what this beer smells like. Nice roasty malts mixed with a hint of funk.

Nice chocolate and roasted malts flood the palate, very mild bitterness, quickly followed by a clean, effervescent finish. Very little, if any, clove and phenolics; which in my opinion is a good thing!

This is a beer that you want to spend some time with; resist the urge to share your 750ml bottle, you will want this one all to yourself.

This is the second beer I have tried from Prairie Artisan Ales and I am eager to try a third!

Cheers. (1,407 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks willandperry!!

Appearance. Pours a deep cola brown with almost 3 fingers of khaki head that love me long time.

Smell. Funky saison yeast, citrus fruits, some dark malts and dank old wood.

Taste. Funky, peppery saison yeast, old wood, dark malts with a touch of cocoa, and some citrus zest and melon. Interesting and tasty.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Man, these guys make some kick-ass beers. So happy to have almost the complete collection to sample. Thanks again for hooking me up Will!! (528 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

bottle picked up locally when I was in Chicago. Enjoyed from an eataly teku. brew poured a hazy brown with a generous frothy grey head. settled black in the glass. Head was super yeasty. smell is out of this world in fact out of this galaxy. bright crisp citric notes. Some saison bubblegum. I don't get much today at all on the nose. Lots of candy. things change upon first sip. roasted black mold come to the surface and push the galaxy happiness into the back seat. Body is medium and roasty with a bitter finish. Definitely a bit of an identity crisis, but those crisp hoppy galaxy notes are wonderful. The black saison isn't bad but i just find myself searching for galaxy in every sip picking out its magic deliciousness. Would love too try more from this brewery. As it warms becomes all about the brett, which is really nice. (833 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

25.4oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A - Dark brown/black mud with a massive 3 finger dirty tan head. Slowly goes down to a thin foam that lies atop the dark liquid below. Lacing is present.

S - Brett, barnyard, roasted malts. Galaxy hops are present and give a slight citrus acidic aroma. Ripe and rotten fruits.

T - Brett and wet hay with roasted malts. Citrus and ripe fruits. Some bitter and tart. So much going on in this it is hard to distinguish it all.

M - Plenty of carbonation with a somewhat creamy and medium body.

O - This one will stand out the most from the Prairie Ales Sasions. An odd mix of galaxy hops, Brett, and roasted malts. Your mouth will be confused yet satisfied. Thanks to Ken for sending this to me. (737 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: appear black in the glass, but held up to the light it shows to be a fairly translucent brownish gray. Forms a moderate sized sort of gray, sort of tan colored head head. Minimal lacing.

S: aroma is dominated by Galaxy. Orange and citrus, but then the roasted malt flavor muddles things up. Gives it a dirty quality.

T: taste is similar. Again there is Galaxy, with the citrus and orange, but then there is the black, roasted malt quality. Slightly acidic. Slight coffee quality. And again, the "black" portion of the beer just seems to muddle this beer up, throwing off the pleasant juiciness of the Galaxy and the lightness of the farmhouse.

M: on the lighter side of medium in body. Good carbonation. Mild, roasts malt bitterness.

O: this isn't a Bad beer, but its on odd combination that I'm not entirely sure that works. (836 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

So that's where the Parliament/Funkadelic spaceship came from... Anyway, this stuff pours a brackish sienna topped by more than enough khaki foam. The nose comprises watered-down candi sugar, light greens, a hint of mild funk, and a faint undercurrent of very light cocoa. The taste holds notes of light chocolate powder, candi sugar, clove, mild mixed greens, some mild funk (mostly in the finish), and a hint of grapefruit rind. Everything is sorta muddled, but somehow in a good way. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, an odd but pleasant beer, one that must be tasted to be understood (to whatever limited degree you can). (717 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

750 bottle served in a Duvel tulip

A - Pours black with 3 fingers of sparkling tan foam. Great retention with average lacing.

S - Big brett aroma, funky wood, earthy charred mushrooms, roasted grains, citrus rind, earthy floral, spicy, dried fruit, scalded milk,

T - Hoppy citrus notes upfront, musty roasted grains, some plastic flavors, spicy yeast, some notions of dairy mixed, bitterness transitions from citrus, to nutty, then to a coffee/peppery bitterness, notes of old furniture lacquer, acidity comes out after mid palate and grows turning to a dry and spicy finish.

M - Fuller body with a good amount of carbonation,

While I'm not very keen on dark Saisons, or dark/roasted malts combined with wild yeasts, this is the best I've had to date from both categories. The galaxy hops brighten and really pull this through and save it from being a weird combination of odd flavors. I liked it more this time than the first time. Worth picking up if it's in your area. (978 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark brown with a little plum color to it. Appears to be quite cloudy. Nice big head, beige. Puffs up quite a bit on the initial pour and lasts for a good amount of time. Some nice lacing. Aroma is dominated by hop flavors. I haven't had a lot of galaxy-hopped beers, but this does jibe with what I remember. Mix of big citrus, tropical and berry hop notes. Tangerines, pineapples, blackberries, mangoes, grapefruits. Some light roastiness. Just a little chocolate background maltiness. Some nice funky, earthy flavors add a level of complexity. The taste is full of those fruity hops with some dark malt character and saison and brett funk. It starts with sweet, tart blackberries and pineapples before heading into drier, funkier flavors of cocoa, grapefruit and earth. Citrus pith, wood and funk in the finish. Fairly dry and comfortably bitter. Mouthfeel is pretty light. Normal carbonation. The malt adds some body, and there's a little hop slickness. Good stuff. After seeing some review scores and whatnot, I was expecting to be a bit disappointed, but this is quite good, and I'd put it on the same level as the rest of the Prairie lineup. (1,153 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Opens with a resounding pop! Had a bit of a gush there after the pour

Pours scarlet/caramel with 3+ fingers of tan head. Murks up a bit, nice lacing, above average head retention

S: Over ripe orchard fruit , a bit of funk & fig, all kind of glom together as this warms

T: Over pears, figs, persimmons, cinnamon & a touch of dirty funk up front. Funkyness, apricot, pears, aspirin bitterness, some grapefruit & kiss of boozey pineapple as this warms. Finishes with much grapefruit, boozey apples with cinnamon & a bit of cayenne pepper

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation

Drinks alright, this kind of missed the mark for me, not a giant fan of dark saisons in general. Worth a try, maybe not the best choice a warm spring night. Didn't really pull together for me all the way... (782 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like funky beers, beers that taste unique and interesting, that go interesting places.

But this beer has too much funk and not enough awesomeness. To be frank, it tastes too much like a beginner's homebrew gone bad. Too many odd flavors and aromas that don't quite fit. Way too thin of a mouthfeel. The toastyness and ctirus aren't playing well together.

It does look nice in the glass - very generous head that leaves lots of Belgian lace on the glass, but this really isn't enough. It should taste good and this beer frankly does not. I really wanted to like it, since it is from Oklahoma and has such clever bottle art, but taste must reign supreme. (657 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Corked and caged 750ml. Props to the tight cage wind.

A: Pours a light brownish with a solid 2-finger tan head which lasts and lasts leaving spotty lace.

N: Floral and herbal, citrus and passionfruit along with Saison yeast and spice.

T: Citrus/tropical, herbal, yeasty, some damp wood and earthiness. Mild funk.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Rustic, spicey and yeasty finish.

O: Very unique dark, hoppy Saison. The 8% kicks. Would definitely want another. (463 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at When Pigs Fly. Every time I go there lately, ther's been a new Prairie beer. I really appreciate that.

In a snifter the beer was a very dark brown color with a light tan head. There was a bit of lace.

Sweet fruit aroma, piney/earthy hops.

Plums and grapes in the taste. Some cereal. Hops arrive late.

Tart/slightly sour mouthfeel. Very nice. (355 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky brown body. Khaki head. Surface pocked by foam circles. Wispy surface.

Smell - Bretty, slightly acidic. Nothing really funky about it. Definitely some galaxy hop aroma to it. Very earthy. Some dark malts come through.

Taste - Much brettier. Very earthy. Less acidic. Nutty malts. Some hints of chocolate. Lends a creaminess to it.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Medium bodied. That creaminess is nice.

Overall - Not seeing a ton of variation from these Prairie beers. They're all pretty tasty, without being outstanding. (580 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Dark, or black Saisons may be making a return from the depths of Belgian farmhouse lore, but Prairie Ales brings the crisp and clean taste of modern Saisons to life and builds complexities on newly derived hops for citrusy and tropical effects. It's the new way to build a beer.

Medium brown in its pour, the mostly-hazy ale shows burnish gold highlight around the edges. The beer builds a lightened and airy foam structure from sandy tan froth- it simply looks like a dry ale. Firm withstanding and intricate lace speaks to well made Belgian ales.

Zesty tart fruits leap from the late hop additions in the form of musty grapefruit, oranges, apricots, and mangoes. Riding closely behind are darker notes of toast char, cocoa powder, and weathered wood. A deeper whiff reveals even more musty quality of light mushroom and freshly cracked peppercorn. With little in the way of sweetness, the nose picks up on light brown sugar notes in support of the toast, spice, and hops.

The typical dry spicy taste of Saisons are complemented by the dry toast and wood notes that rest early on the palate. With an incredible light taste of brown sugar, the beer avoids the associated sweetness that usuall accompanies the sugar. Additional spices from Galaxy hops offer citrusy bitterness late, but also gives the middle palate a fresh tropical and citrus fruitiness that's usually much less celebrated in Saisons.

Noticeable dryness lifts off the palate early and often. The quick finish nearly makes the beer more appreciated in aftertaste than in its actual procession across the tongue. Prickly, spicy, sawdust-like and peppery- the beer finishes with more than just alcohol warmth. The incredible Galaxy hops deliver a nearly teeth-churning sensation with smooth bitterness to close. tropical. light bitterness.

Saisons aren't normally dark, but the toasted grain accents dryness and allows a brighter peppery note to emerge. Saisons aren't usually fruity either, but the hops gives it a common bitter character with uncommon complexities. It's a highly varying beer with each sip that keeps me coming back simply by curiosity alone. (2,132 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was excited to try this beer. It sounded unique, and it's brewed in the state I live. Plus, not that it makes much difference, the label's pretty cool!

Pours an opaque brown. It sort of looks like coffee with a splash of milk added; certainly a unique look. Decent head, light tan in color.

The smell is great! Fresh citrusy hops, accompanied by that signature funk present in farmhouse ales. I seriously can't keep my nose out of the glass! There's a little dark fruit (think figs and such), cocoa, and some cardamon spice.

That first sip: Wow, a lot going on in there! Piney hops, and twangy ripe fruit are the two tastes most noticeable. There's also grapefruit, chocolate, roasted grain, dates, clove, a little coffee. There's quite a bit, and I love it when a beer can offer this many varied tastes.

It sits fairly heavy on your tongue, not quite the thickness of milk, but not too far from it. Has a medium length finish, but ends fairly dry.

This is really a great beer, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it in the future. I'm surprised and glad for the caliber of some of Oklahoma's more recent beers, and I can't wait to see more follow. (1,149 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep, thick wooden dark brown, large coffee colored head.

Smells very tart, dusting of cocoa, dark citrus, some other vinous fruit...lots going on, very complex, smells great.

Starts with a lightly tart wine character, decent amount of bitter citrus too, fades into milk chocolate and sweet grape, pretty dry and spicy. Again, very complex, very good.

Good thick mouthfeel, creamy and well carbonated.

Great beer! Very complex. I'd swear this was aged in wine barrels.

8.6/10 (488 characters)