Prairie Somewhere - Prairie Artisan Ales

rAvg: 4
Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AlexFields on 03-22-2013)

2.6/5  rDev -35%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I really did not like this, but it was my first soul farmhouse ale. I guess I just don't like sours. I could not finish my glass. The other non-taste characteristics were nice which makes me think overall it's a good beer, it just wasn't for me. The color was a vibrant yellow-ish reminding me of not-quite-ripe peaches. and the head was snow-white. It looked really awesome.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Color- cloudy gold. Full head.

Aroma- hibiscus, dry dust, hint of lemon.

Taste- A flowery, wheaty sour ale. Reminds me of a dry, sour wit beer with hints of bitter dust. I'm a sour beer fan, but this is imbalanced.

Poured from 500 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted June 2014.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Popped the top, and an initial gush threatened to over pour the top, but I managed to get it poured into the glass, which resulted in a large head, though it quickly faded. Very pale beer, cloudy. The aroma is very sour, moderately funky.

The taste is excellent... I wasn't expecting this good I admit. It's quite tart but not unpalatably so--in fact it is right at the really refreshing level. Lots of yeasty fruitiness (without any hint of sweetness), and a nice underlying brett character. Very dry finish, with a lingering brett aftertaste.

And such a beer comes from over the red river, out of Oklahoma?? I'm pretty surprised. Excellent beer.

3.61/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into tulip

L: yellow-orange, a bit lighter/paler than gold; huge white head, well over 2 inches, very fluffy and not super thick; not much sticking or lacing. not 100% clear but much more clear than other saisons I've tried ... cloudy but about 80% see-through (I didn't pour the full bottle in but drank the last inch or so in case it was all yeast)

S: super sour ... smells like unsweet apple cider, the homemade hard stuff ... very acidic/citrusy but with a hard sourness to it all. could be fooled into thinking this was a very dry white wine.

T: follows the nose pretty closely with perhaps a pinch more sweetness to it. but it's not sweet, very tart and white wine-like

F: super drinkable, almost too much so. if this were 9% or more ABV, it would be outright dangerous -- at 7%, it's still very deceiving because it feels light ... loads of carbonation

O: this one probably hits my tart/sour limit without crossing over ... it's easy to drink, has just enough sweetness to it to help a non-saison fan like me handle it, and overall, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. it also smells and tastes like the authentic thing -- no crazy additives or anything extra to spice it up. it's just beer farmhouse style.

Prairie Somewhere from Prairie Artisan Ales