Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

BOMB! - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 4,411
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

*800th Beer Review*

$8.99 single poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Site says 14% ABV, but my batch is 13%. Looks like the bottle says this was bottled 2/16 -- having it 10/4.

Appearance: Pouring this straight out of the fridge down the middle into my glass, I expected something, but got nothing. Absolutely no head came up at all. At the very end there were a few bubbles that came up and ultimately left a ring around the glass though. The color is a predictable pitch black. It looks "whatever", but... whatever. (3.75/5)

Smell: My first thought is most definitely coffee beans: there is more coffee in the aroma of this beer than some of the self-proclaimed coffee beers out there. The cacao nibs added gives a mocha vibe to the overall smell too, with only a little bit of vanilla bean. I don't smell any chili peppers, but I didn't think I would over all of the coffee that's in this beer. The label says "...aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and chili peppers", and I would say the potency of each ingredient is in that order. Despite the very high ABV, I don't smell any alcohol, amazingly enough. I get the feeling that it's a high ABV just because of the intensity of the aroma, but BOMB! certainly isn't a booze bomb. This is simply one of the best beers I've ever smelled. It's pretty much perfect. (5/5)

Taste/feel: Most definitely one of the most intense beers I've ever had. Coffee all the way through the sip on this one with the chocolate flavors underlying that. The finish is a very slight chili pepper burn on the tongue and in the back of the throat with a mellow vanilla flavor to contrast it. The slight chili pepper warmth may be mistaken as an alcohol heat by some, but the mild, lingering burn proves otherwise. Maybe I'm just becoming much too immune to the taste of alcohol, but I find that, even at 13%, the alcohol is subtle in the flavor of this beer. Obviously, I can feel it -- BOMB! dries up the tongue immediately after every sip, and my belly immediately feels warm. The feel of this beer is interesting in that I find it goes in thin, but becomes thicker on the tongue. The body could use a little bit of work to add a little "heft" just because I'm finding myself drinking this beer a little too fast for comfort, despite the mild after-burn at the end of each sip. (4.5/5, 4/5)

BOMB! is worth the hype without a doubt. I can see why some people may be turned off by it because of its huge presence of coffee, but I absolutely love it, especially with the accenting ingredients. What I find strange are those who think this beer is too spicy hot... I love spicy food, but I would still call the spice from BOMB! very mild, or mild at worst. BOMB! is a great, extremely rare example of a standard Imperial Stout (along with AleSmith's Speedway Stout) that I'm not so sure could actually be better when aged in a barrel. Other than the "blah" appearance and slightly disappointing mouthfeel (if I can even call the feel disappointing), BOMB! is one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had, and is one that is more than worth seeking out.

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a syrupy black, some creamy off light tan colored bubbles ring the snifter. Smells of chocolate syrup, vanilla. Taste matches, no real Chile pepper. Warming but no booze taste

4.46/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It didn't occur to me when I got home from the airport as to why my luggage had been rifled through, that is until I remembered that I had a couple bottles in there that they might have thought suspicious - BOMB!

Served @ 50deg in a snifter. Coffee dominates the nose. As the bottle has it, taste is a good balance of coffee and peppers with a slight chocolate and vanilla finish. My only complaint is that the mouth-feel is a little flat, but maybe that was from riding in my suitcase... Prost!

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried one several months ago and it was delicious... Had one tonight for Jason's 35th birthday, and it was amazing. I wasn't sure how it would be after it was aged, but now I know that this beer is delicious with a few months on it. It definitely deserves a rating of 99 or 100. Best beer of the night without a doubt.

I really, really hated this beer. If Starbucks were to make a candy beer it would be like this dreck. I should probably have read the label before I bought it but a local liquor store got in several of the Prairies, which I had liked before, so I grabbed them up and have been going through them. Their Standard Ale is brilliant! Beautiful straw color and a fresh grainy taste. But this...WTF! Absolutely undrinkable: Flat. Coffee? Who put coffee in beer?

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

heard lots of good things about this one and found it in some random liquor store in Denver last weekend. lived up to the things I'd heard. wish they would distribute more in the rocky mountain area

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep rich dark chocolate color. Has a great aroma of coffee, chocolate and a subtle vanilla hint. Flavor is Chocolate, coffee and a little vanilla. Has a touch of a rich sweetness that is counter balanced by the subtle chili peppers. Mouth feel is very smooth and the chilis leaves a warm mouth feel without being spicy. Overall this is a really great stout.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Firestone Walker snifter. Pours pitch black with very little visible carbonation. After the pour a tiny band of bubble visible around the glass. Aroma is a wow experience. Rich dark toasted malt, dark quality chocolate, vanilla and light coffee; at the end of the sniff, a slight pepper burn. All the ingredients are on display. Flavor is dark chocolate, sweet dark toasted malt, vanilla, molasses; finishes with an interesting dry toffee flavor melded to mild hot peppers, which leave a light burn in the aftertaste. Creamy medium to heavy bodied with light carbonation despite the lack of bubble in the glass. Very rich and decadent. In the flavor, like the aroma, all the ingredients are represented as clear notes, but all work well together. ABV dangerously covered, but this is so full of flavor, it is a slow sipper anyway. A world class chocolate and hot pepper stout. Really excellent. Now on my desert island list, this would make a boring day special.

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours pitch black color with a 1 finger foamy tan head that was full of tiny bubbles that were popping so fast that the dissipating head looked like it was moving; faded slow to average time, leaving very good foamy spotting lacing coating the sides.

Smells of rich dark chocolate, fresh ground coffee beans, burnt coffee grinds, vanilla, chili pepper, cocoa powder, charred wood, roasted malts, mineral water, molasses, maple syrup, peat moss or earthy notes, and some alcohol like a strong booze. The initial whiff/blast that hit my nose was dark chocolate, burnt coffee grinds and chili pepper, and those seem to be the dominant notes that bookend the aroma a close it out. The charred and smoky elements are always striking, but the big 3 drive the ship. The nose matches the description on the bottle perfectly, very well done.

Tastes very similar to the way it smells with the first wave of dark chocolate, burnt coffee grinds and chili pepper hitting and clearing the way for a combo of vanilla, cocoa powder, espresso, toffee or Heath Bar, charred wood, roasted malts, Hershey's chocolate syrup, molasses, maple syrup, peat moss or earthy notes, some alcohol like a strong booze such as bourbon or whiskey, and then a blast of heat from the chili peppers. The booze and chili pepper combo is not painful, but the 13% ABV warms up your stomach real quick as it brings out what seems like barrel aging components. A lot more of the brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and chili pepper complexities come out as it warms up. Like the nose, the flavor matches the description on the bottle perfectly, so you get what you expect as stated right under "BOMB!" - extremely well done, and I'm not a huge fan of chili pepper infused beers.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but thick and chewy at the same time, with mellow carbonation, a body that is heavy and full of charred, boozy, spicy notes which fades off complex and on the dry side. This went down a tad bit easier than the Westbrook Mexican Cake, and any fan of that brew will love this.

I love stouts, especially imperial stouts, but don't necessarily dig the chili pepper beers but like Mexican Cake this was a great unique beer experience which exceeded my expectations and really defines what the craft beer movement is all about. A lot of fun to drink with it's massive extremes and dynamic flavors, this has a great combo of char, malts, spices and chocolatey sweetness - if you love stouts and love spicy food than this is well worth the $10 for a 12 oz bottle. A world class slow sipper that lived up to the hype.

3.48/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel bad writing a review on a beer that is rated 99 but I couldn't get passed the ancho chile peppers. Not knowing before drinking; the chile peppers were just too much. Over powering! Going to pick up another bottle and age it. Hopefully it mellows out the spice.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now I know why it's called "BOMB!" Poured at Zwanze Day at Armsby Abbey, in Worcester, MA. First sip was less than memorable, but as I allowed it to warm, the flavors I was anticipating began to emerge. Sweet cocoa went to battle with the heat of peppers. Couldn't beat the price either: $10 for a 12 ounce pour.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours black - almost no head whatsoever. When swirled a very thin brown head forms.
Aroma: Coffee and sweet vanilla.
Taste: Dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla.
Feel: Medium body. Slightly silky. Low-medium carbonation
Overall: I was more impressed with this than KBS. Having high expectations isn't the best method when going about tasting these beers. I thought it was very good, just not amazing.

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured rather vigorously from a 12 oz bottle into a large snifter. Jet black with a nice brown head that leaves lacing throughout. Coffee and vanilla are the most prevalent on the nose. The taste makes this beer one of the most incredible that I've had. I think it surpasses BCBS for me (which isn't easy to do). The only knock I have on this beer is the very slight alcohol burn that lingers for a few seconds. I bought an extra that I plan on cracking open in a year or two... the age on it might make this a perfect 5 for me. Quite possibly the best stout I've had.

4.73/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle orange cap poured into a snifter. It pours a pitch black with a orange-ish beige head of 2 inches. Smell is of pepper, fresh milk chocolate, coffee, and vanilla with a big roasted malt background. Taste is fantastic, tons of chocolate, just a slight amount of spicey pepper, and a nice coffee and roasted malt backing that pulls it all together. The vanilla beans stay with you as a lingering flavor as well. It has a full rich mouth feel with a heavy thick body. Good amount of carbonation and just a tad bit of alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Lagunitas glass.Very think and jet black with a 1 and 1/2 inch head.Coffee up front with Chocolate right behind and a touch of chili powder.Very nice stout with a 14.0 ABV.If your looking for a quick buzz this is your beer.I would rate this as a very good stout not quite as good as the Imperial Russian stout from Stone but still very good.Not quite as good as the ratings indicate.I think the thing that would stop me from getting this one again is the price.Very expensive at about 10 dollars for a 12 oz bottle.I would say give it a try,even if it`s only once like me.Enjoy..

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10 ounce tulip on draft at whole foods, Palm desert CA.

L:Black and thick looking beer with a light brown head. S: roasty, slightly boozy, mildly sweet, coffee and chocolate, with a vegetative smell that isn't off putting but interesting (I didn't know there were chilies in this beer until afterward). T: even better than the nose, much more balanced than I was expecting. I'm usually not a huge fan of coffee stouts because I'm sensitive to the stale, "diner" coffee flavor and aroma, but immediately appreciated how subdued all the flavor additions were balanced. My favorites were the cocoa nibs and the vanilla which for me came a few seconds after the initial surge of coffee. Didn't pick up much of the chili besides a small sort of organic compoundy taste, but it wasn't off putting at all. Alcohol flavor is very well hidden and integrated into the other flavors. F: big and syrupy, which is to be expected. O: delicious and huge beer, with balance, yet enough flavor complexity to keep you interested the whole glass through.

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

Can we say thanks again to my man Kevinpitts. Out of a bottle into my tulip.

A – Black pour with a dark brown head that settles down. Looks like liquid chocolate.
S – Great aroma. Chocolate, lactose, vanilla.
T – Taste like liquid dark and milk chocolate to start. Not overly sweet however. Roasted malts, vanilla, brown sugar. Coffee flavors come on with a nice bitter flavor. Touch hot at the end.
M – Low carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Lingers with light sweetness.
O – You feel this beer. The flavors and the bite are wonderful. Mixes the sweet and hot bite well. Winner.

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: a blackish brown with a nice tan head
S: coffee, chocolate, vanilla.
T: like the nose, coffee, chocolate, slight hints of vanilla and a little bit of heat on the back end
F: creamy and smooth, this leaves a great coating in your mouth
O: This is one hell of a great beer! so happy to try on draft!

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Probably more than any beer I've had, this one skirted the line between 'great' and 'just short of great.' The flavors, particularly from the adjuncts, were outstanding, and impressively balanced: so much coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and pepper, but without overdoing any one of them. The flaw was in the feel, the overall experience. The body was very substantial and syrupy, incredibly so; but the low carbonation, and maybe some lack of hop bite, left it feeling flabby, almost a little stale. This is a special beer, but I feel it could be even better.

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hands down the thickest, most flavorful, most intense stout I've ever had. Remarkably complex. Honestly, it's more beer than I can handle, but I appreciate the quality of the brew.

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours very dark with a nice thick head. Smells chocolatey and coffee-ish, and even has a hint of a chocolate color in the head. Tastes chocolatey, coffee, vanilla. Drinks much smoother than you would expect for the high abv.

4.96/5  rDev +10.5%

Look: Dark, black, with minimal head… even after pouring hard
Smell: Cocoa and Coffee very prevalent
Taste: Awesome start and better finish, pepper or spicy finish
Feel: Smooth and Fluffy
Overall: Simply amazing. Traded for multiple after first having.

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fresh bottle served in a pint glass

Appearance: thick, black, oily top, some brown foam but not really

Nose: chocolate, coffee, vanilla, pepper skin, rich and malty

Taste: very thick mouthfeel, heavy, chocolate, slightly roasty, coffee, pepper bite in the end, some vanilla, oaky, fruity sweetness, no alcohol at all.

Amazing. If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd buy a case.

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a 6 ounce tasting glass.
A- dark black beer with very little white head.
S - Smells of chocolate
T - tastes of chocolate to match the smell but has a hot pepper in the finish.
F- pretty thick beer.
O - Interesting stout. The pepper bite would keep me from drinking a lot of this.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. Pours black with finger off white head, fades quickly into a thin ring. The aroma is deep roasted coffee with a little vanilla and subtle spice. The taste is full of coffee and vanilla, just sweet enough with great balance. The pepper taste comes out, but just a little, at the end. I wouldn't call it spicy, just a nice little zing to complement the other flavors. Mouthfeel is chewy and slick. Not boozy at all for the abv. Overall outstanding coffee stout, complex and delish, tough to beat this one.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales