Prairie Bomb! - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Bomb!Prairie Bomb!

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

(Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Reviews by krustster:
krustster

I went on a beer quest with my brother in law when we were both in California, Santa Rosa area, to find this beverage specifically. I hadn't heard of it before since I don't really have my ear to the pulse of the beer scene or whatever but his description was enough to pique my interest. As Imperial Stouts are my undisputed favorite style of beer, I knew I had to try it if I had the chance. We ended up buying the last two bottles in all of Santa Rosa (supposedly) and at $10 for 12oz (I was expecting 750ml when they told me the price) I was hoping this would be worth the cost. AND IT WAS.

Appearance: black as night, 100% opaque, poured aggressively to get a good head but even with the bottle more than a foot above the glass nothing happened until a couple seconds after the pour. Absolutely the thickest beer I've ever seen. Like, I started raising the bottle as I poured and it just looked like it was flat, then sloooowwly the the head formed after the bottle was empty and I realized that I was seeing something special. And I might as well throw the term "khaki-colored" in there because apparently you are required by law to say that about stouts. It looked like pants.

Smell: It was a couple months ago so I honestly don't remember this aspect too well, really to me it's not an important part of a good beer--more of a preview of what's to come. Seriously, are you going to find a great-tasting beer that smells weird and mark it down because of that?

Mouthfeel: Just like the appearance, it was unspeakably thick, coated the tongue just like it should for a massive imperial stout. The 12oz bottle was small but in retrospect it's a good thing because if this was in a bomber I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it by the end. It's that hearty.

Taste: Literally the best tasting beer I have ever consumed. It's my first review but far from my first beer. Really I chose this as my first review because I have such strong feelings about it. Everything advertised on the label is in here and all in perfect balance: coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and just enough chili peppers to gradually increase the heat on the fade as you work your way through the bottle. On the first couple of sips I was disappointed at the lack of pepper, but it builds so subtly and gradually that it doesn't start to hit you until you're about halfway done. By the time the bottle was sadly gone I still had the tasteful burn to remind me of what had been. The "roastiness" of a stout and the pepper heat are such a perfect match, I can't believe this flavor combination isn't more popular. And 14% ABV are you kidding me? I can handle an alcohol taste just fine, but there is almost none to speak of in this brew, and it's the strongest percentage-wise that I've ever had. The best way to describe it is to say that it's an experience you will never forget.

Actually, if you're reading this review and haven't had it yet, then you shouldn't get your hopes up because it was only brewed once. Why do breweries do that? If this was year-round I would have given them hundreds of dollars by now. Oh well, thanks for the memories!!!

11-22-2013 04:49:14 | More by krustster
jburns301

Georgia

07-25-2014 04:29:20 | More by jburns301
Chico1985

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased in Oklahoma City, also had this at The Beer Trappe in Lexington, Kentucky a couple days beforehand. Liked the Bible Belt variation of this alot, happy to be able to review this now as well. ABV listed as 13% on the label.

Appearance - Oily black pour into a snifter. A finger or so of brown head forms, a swirly cap and thick ring are left by the end along with some good lace. Impressive for the ABV for sure.

Smell - Nice nose with prominent cocoa and chili spice, quite a bit of roasted malt as well, which rounds it all out very well. Coffee is on the lighter end of the spectrum but becomes more noticeable with warmth. Vanilla if you look for it. Noticeable alcohol but not bad. Pretttty nice.

Taste - More vanilla here, still very much cocoa/roast/chili forward. Coffee is pretty understated for me but can't really complain much. Smoke and heat from the chiles starts to build with further sips but it's not over the top and melds well. Touch of molasses.

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, nice higher carbonation feels unique for a stout of this size, diggin' the liveliness on the palate. Very nice melding of flavors, a little booze noticeable but pretty damn drinkable. 12oz is no problemo solo.

Overall - As far as ridiculous-ingredient imperial stouts go, this may be as balanced, drinkable and enjoyable as it gets.

07-25-2014 00:55:31 | More by Chico1985