BOMB! - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of BOMB! Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,914 | Reviews: 534

Awesome chocolate smell. Coffee taste really comes through with hints of vanilla, chocolate and pepper.

The quintessential imperial stout. Tops some of the biggest names on this website in my opinion.

Oh my God....I had my wife taste & smell this beer just to confirm what I had experienced. She says she smells, coffee, chocolate and green olives...and tastes all three...I agree with all but the olives....mouth feel is full and chewy....my new all time favorite Imperial Stout...nothing else even come close.

A: Dark as midnight on a new moon eclipse with a deep tan head head does not stick around long

S: heavenly smell of tobacco coffee chocolate

T: like a dark roast with so much depth you hit the coffee and chocolate can still get a nice taste of beer you can still recognize a stout under the multiply layers and maybe a very very small taste of pepper then just a slight heat on the end from the pepper. Nice aftertaste of slight heat and roasted dark coffee super finish. this taste just envelops your tongue and assaults it in the best way so much going on here.

M: Hints of heat moderately viscous a very nice mouthfeel semi coating with some lingering heat from the peppers

O: Blown away just a well rounded fantastic beer smell crushes looks delightful and a taste that goes for miles beg borrow or steal this one is worth it.

This stout is perfect. Looks great, smells great, super creamy and perfectly balanced. The 4 flavors are right there - coffee, cocoa, vanilla and chili peppers - in a perfect mix. And you do not notice the alcohol. I should have bought more.

Beautiful thick, black pour. All black, light stands no chance against this, even around the edges. The head slowly forms from the bottom up. Maybe a finger thick and light brown in color. Retains fairly well given the ABV, resulting in a thin, spotty lace.

Nothing but dark roasty things went into this beer. Roasted grains, coffee and chocolate all fill the nose. You have to dig to get to the peppers, but you'll notice them.

The taste kills. It's flawless. Coffee with hints of chocolate. The rest of the stuff is totally superfluous as these two ingredients are all that's needed. Bittersweet chocolate in the finish and barely a note of the alcohol.

Again, this is flawless. It's ultra creamy and smooth from the get go. Slightly sweet up front, with evolving bitterness and warmth in the finish. Full bodied and borderline dry finish.

This is an exceptional beer. For 13% ABV, it's a bit too easy to drink. You don't have to sip it, but you should. Basically impossible to improve upon.

Strong coffee followed by dark chocolate on the nose, which are mirrored on the palate. Phenomenal beer, one of the best in it's class; just wish it wasn't so pricey on tap at the bar where I sampled it!

This beer needs a bit more coffee on the palate, and to be on a nitro-line, and all will be right in the world.

My favorite beer... So far.

I never thought founders breakfast stout could be beat...wrong.

Damn. I can taste all of the elements. Different flavors come about as beer warms. Just super enjoyable. Really glad I picked up 2 of them!

Update: drank the second one. All 5's. It doesn't get better than this. Perfection in a stout and a beer overall. Will buy another as soon as I see one. Beats all barrel aged stouts I've had as well.

This showed up on tap at my local beer bar. It's definitely a beer that will knock you out if you don't know it's 14%. So smooth and delicious without much of an alcohol flavor. Wish I could find this somewhere so I could stash a few bottles!

Few things in life live up to hype. Prairie Bomb is not one of those things. The worst thing I can say about his beer is that it has ruined all other stouts for me. It is simply in a class all its own

Wow , What a nice Beer ; Great job , love it !!!! OMG...!!!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: dark, cannot see through. A minimal amount of head and almost no lacing.

S: Excellent, all the notes described on the bottle have their shine. But mainly a chocolate note with a hint of vanilla.

T: Awesome, the chills are very prominent but subdued by the chocolate and vanilla. Spiciness first followed by the cocoa and vanilla. Very well balanced as all notes participate. I do detect a little of the 14% alcohol.

M: Sticky somewhat. Little carbonation and a whole lot of flavor.

O: An superb brew that if you like the more malty dark spectrum of beers I will encourage you to try. All notes are balanced and the beer is heavy but not like cutting butter. At 14% and no detection this is a desert beer. An excellent choice that I encourage you to buy.

A sublime example of just how layered and complex beer can be. Each flavor -- chocolate, coffee, and spice -- come out clean and direct and strong. Plus it's boozy. Plus it's as black as night. An incredible beer.

AMAZING! The ancho chili peppers, caco nibs, and vanilla beans are the perfect award winning combo. Left me tasting the vanilla beans and cocao nibs for hours after.

fuggin love it!!! prarie is killing it

I went on a beer quest with my brother in law when we were both in California, Santa Rosa area, to find this beverage specifically. I hadn't heard of it before since I don't really have my ear to the pulse of the beer scene or whatever but his description was enough to pique my interest. As Imperial Stouts are my undisputed favorite style of beer, I knew I had to try it if I had the chance. We ended up buying the last two bottles in all of Santa Rosa (supposedly) and at $10 for 12oz (I was expecting 750ml when they told me the price) I was hoping this would be worth the cost. AND IT WAS.

Appearance: black as night, 100% opaque, poured aggressively to get a good head but even with the bottle more than a foot above the glass nothing happened until a couple seconds after the pour. Absolutely the thickest beer I've ever seen. Like, I started raising the bottle as I poured and it just looked like it was flat, then sloooowwly the the head formed after the bottle was empty and I realized that I was seeing something special. And I might as well throw the term "khaki-colored" in there because apparently you are required by law to say that about stouts. It looked like pants.

Smell: It was a couple months ago so I honestly don't remember this aspect too well, really to me it's not an important part of a good beer--more of a preview of what's to come. Seriously, are you going to find a great-tasting beer that smells weird and mark it down because of that?

Mouthfeel: Just like the appearance, it was unspeakably thick, coated the tongue just like it should for a massive imperial stout. The 12oz bottle was small but in retrospect it's a good thing because if this was in a bomber I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it by the end. It's that hearty.

Taste: Literally the best tasting beer I have ever consumed. It's my first review but far from my first beer. Really I chose this as my first review because I have such strong feelings about it. Everything advertised on the label is in here and all in perfect balance: coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and just enough chili peppers to gradually increase the heat on the fade as you work your way through the bottle. On the first couple of sips I was disappointed at the lack of pepper, but it builds so subtly and gradually that it doesn't start to hit you until you're about halfway done. By the time the bottle was sadly gone I still had the tasteful burn to remind me of what had been. The "roastiness" of a stout and the pepper heat are such a perfect match, I can't believe this flavor combination isn't more popular. And 14% ABV are you kidding me? I can handle an alcohol taste just fine, but there is almost none to speak of in this brew, and it's the strongest percentage-wise that I've ever had. The best way to describe it is to say that it's an experience you will never forget.

Actually, if you're reading this review and haven't had it yet, then you shouldn't get your hopes up because it was only brewed once. Why do breweries do that? If this was year-round I would have given them hundreds of dollars by now. Oh well, thanks for the memories!!!

I absolutely love this beer. The pairings of coffee, chili and vanilla are fantastic. I've been fortunate enough to try this on tap as well and I'm not sure I'm convinced it isn't better in the bottle.

Coffee, vanilla, chocolate, chili in a beer done right. $10 well spent.

The chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and peppery goodness that wafted out of my glass when poured just a bit cooler than room temperature. The amazing mouth feel and taste, no alcohol burn or taste on the finish but a nice nutmeg and pepper taste. Amazingly wonderful stout this one tops them all.

Cocoa followed by strong vanilla notes then punch of peppers great combo. Solid 5 for sure

Says its aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and chili peppers...Awesome, each one of these flavors is evident and perfectly balanced with the others. Nothing too overpowering, and nothing dominates. It all blends together magnificently!

Eye: This one is perfect and again, I can't ask for more. Thick black body with a one finger head that sticks around-color of the head is mud brown and is creamy. It looks very very inviting. Lacing is thick and beautiful.

Nose: Awesome is the first word I can find. Imperial stout, chocolate, coffee, faint chili peppers and vanilla as well. This one has everything the label states and they are not at all hard to find. None of them stick out above the other, rather they are all blended in here real nice and knowing what I'm looking for, they are easy to find.

Tongue: Just amazing. Upon the finish a little heat/spice from the peppers is noticeable. Vanilla is there to to give it depth in the finish. Aftertaste is amazing. Coffee and chocolate are evident, slight warmth from alcohol...or is it the heat from the peppers? Either way all these flavors work extremely well together in this beer. They all add huge depths of flavor to this Imperial Stout. This beer is an abyss of complexity and flavor. Real wow factor here. Just an amazing beer. I really wish I had and could get more of this...right now! Body is full and carbonation is low and according to style. I just can't believe how well everything blends together in this beer to create a very impressive and unique beer. I've not had anything like this before each flavor is here supporting the others and they all play so well off each other.

Drinkability: Seek this beer out! It is a must try! One of the best beers I've had, ever! I wish its availability were much better than it currently is but if you find this try it! A wow factor beer for me! They really, really, in every aspect don't get better. Top of the charts here.

I mean compared to every single imperial stout I've ever had, they are all child"s play compared to this one. Seriously.

Very good beer. Deserves the 100.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales