BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

BOMB!BOMB!

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 764 | Ratings: 5,236

Textbook-perfect. Not much to say here except that this scary monster is scarily awesome and definitely well worth trying for stout lovers who have not gotten their hands on one yet.

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this out of the 12oz bottle. This is an excellent brew with very up front hints of coffee and vanilla and ending with a nice smash of chilli flavors to round out this stout. Very nice and I can't wait to find another one of these! So good!

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle at Arch Bridge the other day. My first chance to try this highly regarded beer.

The beer pours a black brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is certainly attractive in this beer, as I get considerable chocolate, vanilla, maybe some light black cherry, and then some underlying coffee. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, with the chocolate and vanilla really dominating. I pick up a hint of the ancho chili peppers I guess, but this beer is pretty sweet, and it probably use a bit more of a chili bite on the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly full, and the finish is long and smooth. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and frankly, I was surprised by the 13% abv.

Nice beer, no doubt, though I'm not sure I'm quite as in love with it as some of the folks who have reviewed this beer. I do appreciate the 12 ounce bottle format, however, and the price point seemed OK (here in Oregon, I paid $8.75 for a bottle). Anyway, I'm glad to finally have the chance to try this one at long last.

2.9/5  rDev -35.3%

Very dark. Minimal head that dissipated quickly, no lacing. A bit of an orange-ish halo when held to the light.
Aroma of sour stout. Nothing much that suggests coffee or vanilla.
Flavor shows some coffee but not as much as expected. The high alcohol is evident as is the chili pepper when you walk away from it for a minute. General impression is that it is trying too hard to be too much of everything at once.
Mouthfeel generally flat, mostly triggers mid-central receptors of the tongue. Relatively clean aftertaste for a high abv brew.
Maybe I got an off bottle but just not excited at all about this. Maybe I've developed Imperial Stout fatigue...I would much prefer a 3.5-4.5% seasonable stout with some balance. This is too plum/alcohol for me.

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Prairie Bomb!. Definite chocolate and vanilla nose, taste is chocolate, coffee and booze, not much bitterness. Chili pepper is there if you think about it, but doesn't dominate. I like it, though struggle to justify the cost. Still, It is going on my favorites list!

Update: The review above was from a fresh bottle. I later had the chance to have it on tap and the keg was aged 6mo - really brought out the peppers!

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. The appearance is pure black with a brown head. The aroma is chocolate. The taste is Hershey chocolate and coffee with a big warm sensation from the high alcohol content. World class.

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a teku. Minimal head, good lacing. Nose full of chocolate, super sweet but with green peppers. Very drinkable, these pepper infused beers can sometimes be too overpowering, but this is very well balanced, with heavy coffee, pleasant bitterness and a tinge spice on the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy, silky, and smooth.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not what I expected to be honest! I mean that in a good way. I have a guy OK who hooks me up and usually I trade this along. Gave this a try finally and instantly fell in love. The whole chili peppers threw me off but I caved in and gave it a try.

This is the perfect Imperial Stout. It has the best coffee, the best chocolate, and it tied together with a hint of spice from the pepper skins. It is super pricey, but worth every penny. Holy crap!

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Since this beer has been reviewed plenty of times, I'm not doing a full point by point review, but rather just putting down my overall thoughts.

This beer is beautiful looking (even without any head) and smelled amazing, however, unlike many people here, I did not pick up any pepper notes either in the smell or taste - perhaps because it was left sitting for about 4 months? Either way, it was very good.

But what really set this beer apart from any I've ever had like it was the feel. Seriously, its like drinking a fudge brownie - just so decadent. That brownie analogy also applies to the sweetness of the beer. Its just a bit too sweet for my taste, Id like a bit of a drier cacao finish rather than sweet brownie batter, but hey, thats just a minor quibble.

3.54/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours black, maybe a little bit of mahogany on the edges. a small tan head that fades pretty quickly and leaves nothing behind. completely dark and opaque.

Smell: huge coffee flavor that either mixes with or comes off a bit like the peppers. strong chocolate-y fudge. very faint vanilla. peppers return in the finish.

Taste: opens with a little bit of chocolate that gives off strong fudge like notes. strong pepper heat comes in and mixes with coffee. some roastiness barely makes it through along with a touch of vanilla bean. more pepper heat and taste near the end.

Mouthfeel: nice thick and a bit chewy. heat leave is good and not to strong. a little deceiving for 13%

Overall: the coffee flavor adds complexity to the pepper flavor which I can see being a good thing but I just can't come around to the taste. I do really like the fudgey body and like the level that the heat comes in. could pack a bit more alcohol punch though.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured like a midnight silk color ,
scents of a grind house chocolate coffee hit the nostrils. The taste was absolutely great aromatic coffee was not to ignore with a sweet cacao finished that lingered to the very end.

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%

Look: Dark Black, small tan head, a little lacing 5
Smell: Mostly chocolate, with a touch of vanilla and alcohol
Taste: Starts sweet, but it ends less so. Chocolate and vanilla flavor, with a warming touch of alcohol heat and a slight dark fruit flavor 4.5
Feel: Smooth, creamy, really nice, but maybe a touch too thin. 4.5
Overall: It's a well made big beer, with a great chocolate flavor, but I would have preferred more complexity. 4.5

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look pitch black, with a super thin mocha head.

Smells, Like rich dark chocolate ,coffee, and vanilla.

Taste like creamy dark chocolate with coffee. A good amount of sweetness, A nice spiciness that comes out more as the beer warms up. Awesome well balanced beer.

Feel= Nice and cream, with some tingling on the tongue and roof of the mouth. A little bit of pepper burn at the end.

This is probably one of the best imperial stouts, I have had. I would drink this again and will try more brews from Prairie Artisan!!! Just Awesome

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

12 ounce bottle poured straight down the middle of a goblet. Black. No head, just a thin tan line around the edge. Maybe I poured it a bit cold, 45-50F. Aroma is chocolate and coffee. Taste chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, coffee.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber poured into snifter. Pours black with a stubborn tan head. Aroma is hot cocoa, coffee, molasses, and a hint of chili spice on the tail. The flavor is malt, chili, and burnt coffee up front followed by smooth chocolate and some booze. Big mouthfeel with lower carbonation and a slick, wet finish. The chili spice is not very present until the aftertaste builds up after multiple sips. I am a fan of spice so this feels very mild to me, but it's there. The chocolate is noticeable throughout and is not overly sweet. Overall a very good beer.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

the BOMB poured into a snifter

pours black, no head, probably because i poured it very smooth given the small size of the snifter, but a thin tan foam did form. Bubbles rise from the sides of the glass

smell is of instant dark chocolate, slightly sweet but immediately followed by the chili pepper presence. Coffee can be picked up, and an alcohol afterscent persists

spicy at first sip, followed by a rush of coffee then chocolatey chewiness (reminded me of M&M's lol)

smooth and creamy, the spiciness sits in the throat and tongue between sips, and gets slightly spicier with time and warmth

I had barely noticed right before I drank this that they put chili peppers in it. I hate spicy food and I had already seen a few beers on BA that have peppers and the idea seemed unappealing to me, but here spiciness was separated from heat, it was incredibly enjoyable and I had more fun drinking this stout than any other up to date. A must have for anyone who likes stouts

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a single bottle from Brockport Beverage, Winter 2015/16. Poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temp.

Look: Black, thin cinnamon head which completely disappears

Smell: complex but I get coffee and chocolate

Taste: coffee, chocolate, some peppery heat

Feel: solid and slippery

Overall: pretty good

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black as night, holds a thin ring of dark tan head.

Aroma: Malt extract, burnt grain, hint of a citric hop.

Taste: Heavy toffee notes, burnt sugar sweetness, bit of molasses, a dose of dusty earthy notes in the finish try to explain why it doesn't all go cloyingly sweet. Bitters are coming from a coffee note as well.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, chewy, heavy body with low carbonation. Dry finish has a little alcoholic heat.

Overall: Big impact! Malt monster goes down like a old fashioned hard toffee candy. A little smoky burnt coffee gives it some depth and character. Hops are very background, but doing some heavy lifting to keep this enjoyable. I get the big numbers, I can't throw any serious stones at them. This is clean, big, bold, and tasty. It's pricey too, so I won't be getting a lot of them, but will probably reach for another.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Is this really 13 percent. So unbelievable smooth. Easiest drinking 13 percent beer I have had. Smells if chocolate and vanilla. This is my first bomb beer and can't wait to try the other variant. There was just the right amount of heat from the peppers. Well worth the hype. Too bad I missed out on the bourbon barrel version. I won't miss out on pirate bombing coming soon.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black from a 12z bottle, looks like it's marked 4/15 so it's about a year old. Looks perfect, with no head. When I stop pouring it attempts to form some suds but gives up the ghost after barely getting a thin layer. No lacing.

Smells like cocoa -- instant chocolate , no coffee, no malt.

Taste is of bitter baker's chocolate, and dark fruit in there quite distinct, along with tart of the fruit. It's very nicely balanced, and malt gives it a caramel body, but doesn't go too bready. Very sippable, almost like a porter rather than an imperial. No push-back at all. Yes, it's resiny and heavy and boozy at the finish but otherwise the alcohol is hidden extremely well. Hard to believe this is 13%.

I'm not getting any of the ancho chili peppers. Maybe it needs to warm... the caramel malt becomes more evident and burnt coffee is a little more obvious as it opens up. Body is getting more complex the longer I swirl and sip --there's the ever so slightest hint of the chili peppers now but I'm looking for it -- the pepper thing is a non-starter, at least for this bottle, oh well.

I have another bottle to age to see if the pepper flavor might come out more -- at $10 a 12oz I'm not sure how many of these I'll be grabbing to experiment further...

Nevertheless, a fine imperial stout that's chocolate forward, and easily drinkable.

4.04/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance- Black and thick....not much head

Smell - I smell a lot chocolate, not a whole lot of coffee smell. Something else, maybe vanilla?

Taste - Again, a lot of chocolate. Not that that is a bad thing but I was expecting more coffee. A little disappointed in that I didn't really taste the the chili peppers. I was waiting for a little burn at the end but did not get it.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, hides the alcohol very well for a 13% beer. Low carbonation

Overall - It was not what I really expected. I loved xocoveza and was hoping this would be similar. But the chocolate flavor took over a little too much. The chocolate flavor was great and It did a great job of hiding the alcohol but I was hoping the coffee and chili would have more of a presence. It's also a little pricey at $10 for a 12oz bottle. I have a second bottle that I'll age a little and try again.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass bottle into a tulip glass. Looks almost pitch pitch black, no surprises here. Smell is very strong of chocolate and malts. Taste is similar, instant chocolate followed by malt and a faint vanilla and coffee. Blends together well and is surprisingly smooth for 13%. Carbonation is moderate compared to other imperial stouts.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks black with almost nothing of a head. Smell of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Tasted mostly chocolate with light coffee. I did not taste the peppers, like many who have. It felt like a soda that was shaken until all the carbonation was gone, very flat. It wasn't bad, just different. The 13% was well hidden. I bought it for 7.99, so I can't complain about the price.

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in an over-sized wine glass straight from the tap.

Appearance: Thick motor oil black with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head is a nice natural dark tan color rising lightly to maybe to half a finger's length. Drops to nada after a sip with sticky lacing.

Smell: Light mocha and coffee, you smell a cold caramel...Hovers the nostrils but not the most sticking scent.

Taste: Cimplex coffee, hints of nutmeg and chocolate...the chocolate overpowers most of the taste but that isn't a bad thing. Trust me not a taste you forget.

Overall: You see it, buy it. Picked it up on draft at Tap and Barrel here in Smithtown, NY...priceless. Grab a glass and thank me later. Salud!

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales