Prairie Bomb! - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Bomb!Prairie Bomb!

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

(Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prairie Bomb! Alström Bros

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Maybe it was the few beers I had prior to tasting this, but every sip offered a different taste. Some were dominated by the cocoa and vanilla while others showed evidence of the chili peppers. Very good, complex beer.

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

4.04/5  rDev -10%

4.73/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am happy that I had the opportunity to try this beer. Thanks to the perk! We do not get this one here.

Lots going on with this beer. Very robust!

Look: Black as any stout you have ever seen. Big frothy brown head, which took a while to settle, even then it hung around a bit. Interesting for a 13% beer.

Aroma: Big bold flavors, very earthy. Coffee and earthy peppers dominate the bouquet. I did not notice the vanilla all that much but the cocoa did come through.

Taste: It is an almost overwhelming experience. I have not really had a stout that tasted like this one. It is not sweet at all, very bitter and biting. The peppers are there, not overpowering but they do linger. It has a dark earthiness to it, I assume its from the peppers, it is like you can taste the dirt they from which they grew. Coffee is also bold and strong. It's intense. It is also something that would be best shared with someone, because even though this is only a 12oz beer. That is enough! Dark chocolates are also there. This is not a very refined beer in that regard. But, that is what I liked about it. Its a challenge impressive really.

Overall: This is one of only a handful of chili stouts I have tried and this one is definitely bold. I could probably drink Xocoveza all the time, this is a once in a while kind of brew. It it impressive nonetheless and I am happy I had the opportunity to try it. Still not found a 5 beer, but this one is damn close. My only complaint is that it was a bit thin on the mouthfeel, not really thin necessarily, but for the alcohol and flavor profile it would be amazing if it was a bit more viscous, I believe it would totally be a 100 beer or damn close, if it were.

1.04/5  rDev -76.8%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A--poured from draft, black with a one finger head
S--espresso, cocoa, vanilla. With the 14% ABV I expected to smell the booze or some bourbon but was happy to find the alcohol was not present in the nose
T--chocolate and vanilla is present from the beginning but its certainly not sweet. Chile peppers at the end bring together a nice, well balanced beer that lives up to the hype
M--medium body, more carbonation than I expected but very nice
O--Excellent stuff. I was super-impressed with this beer. So many imperial stouts carrying a 14% ABV are barely drinkable. This beer is incredibly well done and I would be happy to get my hands on another one. Well done.

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%

4.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Mostly a coffee taste and didn't get much of the cacao nibs, vanilla or peppers. I like a good coffee stout though so I was okay with that. There did seem to be a little bit of "a kick" in the nose though and that might have been the pepper coming through. Nice and drinkable for 14% abv.

Prairie Bomb! from Prairie Artisan Ales