Join our email list →

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 13.00% ABV

Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.
Reviews: 710 | Hads: 4,949
4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As with anything this special (and expensive) it should be a special event when drinking one. Im not a big stout drinker (a hop head by heart) but a Prairie bomb is a very special event. the notes on the bottle say aged with coffee, vanilla and chili peppers and they are very sublime notes that mix together so eloquently and become harmonious with the tongue. I think I literally achieved pallete nirvana over the holidays as I bought bottle after bottle.

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L - pours black with a .5 finger thick mocha colored head that leaves nothing more than a lacing ring

S - coffee up front and through out, the chocolate and vanilla are prominent and the peppers provide a slight heat to the aroma

T - WOW. This is brewed to perfection. The coffee is bold yet smooth, the chocolate is deep and bitter sweet, the vanilla is very complimentary and the pepper leaves just the slightest tingle on the back of your tongue.

F - smooth and full bodied. Not the greatest but sufficient no doubt

O - this is a world class beer that is practically perfect

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Black color. About half a finger of frothy light brown head formed and quickly fell. A short interrupted ring of lacing is left.

4.75 S: Wow, you can really smell the flavors in this without really trying. It's a super potent spicy crème brulee type of aroma. Cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla beans all stand out in the open with the chiles adding a spicy heat. The base offers a smooth, supple roastiness, layers of chocolate and caramel, and sweet neutral malts. Really nice nose.

4.75 T: Like the nose, the additives blend magnificently and run the show. The chiles are immediately noticeable with a perfectly complementary level of heat. Nibs, vanilla, and coffee are all running on all cylinders. Sweet overall with a soft roastiness, caramel, molasses, and neutral sweetness.

4.5 M: Heavier medium to heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Pleasantly creamy and super smooth. Booze is minor and well hidden with a light warming finish.

4.75 D: Really loving this beer. One of the best non-BA beer out there.

4.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a velvetty smooth, light and dark brown at first, then black takes over at full pour, with a thin tan head.

Balanced levels of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and stout on the nose. The coffee lends a sort of sweet, fruitiness to it.

The coffee fruitiness comes through on the taste as well. Chili contributes when swirled around the tongue, but does not heat up on the backend, which is quite nice and different than the norm. As it warms, the chili does become more prominent.

This is a very well balanced, smooth and substantial brew. I did not realize it was 13% until after I finished it off and looked at the bottle a second time.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Midnight colored body, a rough pour yields only trace head that disappears entirely. Tranquil, no carbonation apparent. It looks like motor oil in a glass, but not as viscous. Nose is sweet, with notes of semisweet chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow, coffee and a bit of its acidity. The vanilla takes the lead on the palate, but the rest of the entourage is close behind with the addition of faint chipotle pepper heat on the finish. I could use a bit more spice from this out-of-left-field flavor, or perhaps just less of the mollifying vanilla and almost out of control sweetness. After a while a note of fleshy overripe fruit like figs or dates comes through. Medium to heavy body, barest amount of carbonation but I wouldn't want any more anyway, fairly sticky. To its credit, the semi-light body is the only giveaway of the massive alcohol presence contained within.
Sugar BOMB! It was well constructed and gave roughly equal representation to each component (too much vanilla too little pepper), but damn was it sweet. It needed a heavier body as well.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got my first BOMB in Manhattan Kansas while visiting my son for his twentieth birthday while he was stationed at the Army's Fort Riley. The beer store had four left, so I bought them all for about $6 each. Drank one and rated it only a 4.02. Then, my wife got two at the Craft Shack and it was definitely delicious.... I rated that one as a 4.25.

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

It has a jet black look, topped with a thin, creme head. Minimum lace. Plenty is going on in the aroma, with hints of coffee, cocoa nibs, and malts. Taste is opened up with a smooth mix of malt and cocoa, followed by a little bit of coffee. Feel is exceptional. It certainly is robust, and creamy. Great mouth presence. Overall, this is a great beer. Certainly worth picking up and trying. Plenty going on with each snif and sip.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Tons of Vanilla, Coffee ,some cocoa hints and chili in the finish.

Overall: underwhelming... I paid 13 bucks for this stuff. One and done I would not call this Very good beer WORLD CLASS or purchase it again for the price point. I had a Ballast Point Victory at sea 6 pack right after this which was just as good(less cocoa though)

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Initially sweet. Can taste the coffee instantly. This beer isnt bad. Perhaps a bit pricey but it was decent. Wouldnt buy again at the price I pis for it.

Oden Nation

4.06/5  rDev -9.4%

Going to go ahead and call this one overrated. Its not a bad beer but I don't think it's as good as its rating. You get some roastiness from the malt, chocolate and some of the peppers. I just don't think there was enough body, enough cocoa taste and would have like more spiciness to this. I wish it was more like huna and abraxas than it is.

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Preface this be saying that this is probably my favorite readily available stout. Chili flavor is very light but noticeable, chocolate takes the lead followed by vanilla. Definitely worth the 8-10 dollars per bottle.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Notes of chocolate and dark, roasty malts and finishes with a bit of heat. This one a little bit more balance in terms of chocolate to chili flavors, which is a positive. I've had some stouts in this same category that are over-the-top hot, which is probably what places this beer towards the top of a lot of people's lists.

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked two up during a trip to Florida.

This is the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and one of the best. The intensity of the flavors, and the amount it just divine.

The cocoa hits hard at first, but then the vanilla seeps in as does the coffee. The pepper taste is hinted. Barely there but in the perfect amount.

I'm glad I was able to cross this off my list, and glad I saved one.

If this brewery had been around when I went to Oklahoma State I likely would have gone broke.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this at Whole Foods and I remembered it received a bunch of hype so I had to pick up a bottle. TLDR: I'm going back for more.

Look: Like black coffee with a thin head that seems to dissipate quickly leaving only a few very small bubbles around the perimeter of the glass.

Smell: Tons of dark roasted coffee, vanilla, chocolate, with a hint of chipotle pepper in the back. I don't pick up any alcohol in the smell and it truly does remind me of Vanilla Ice-cream topped with chocolate and coffee beans.

Taste: Really nice vanilla appears first followed by a strong black coffee and chocolate taste; similar to a mocha. Just the right amount of heat from both the alcohol and peppers in the back. Perfectly balanced.

Feel: Like silk. Medium body but seems to coat the entirety of the mouth with these great flavors.

Overall: Might be my new favorite stout. Perfect for winter months sitting next to the fire and sipping on something delicious; sip slow because the 13% is hidden very well and sneaks up on you a bit. Can't necessarily recommend any food pairings with this beer so I would enjoy it before or after dinner. Definitely a delicious beer so pick this up if you haven't yet.

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a real flavor bomb. Loads of flavor throughout. I'm glad I was able to find one. I don't know if I'd go after more. The finish was very interesting. It seemed as though the pepper made this taste a little more boozy. Even though it is a booze bomb. Try one you may like it.

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle

jet black in color - dark tan colored head that fades. as it warms, an amazing aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a little chili. taste is intense and complex, but not boozy. nice thick mouthfeel.

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle picked up in downtown Tulsa.

It pours inky black, kinda intimidating to be honest.
It smells like vanilla and bourbon.
The taste is coffee at first then cocoa and vanilla. It finishes with a toasty oak and bourbon and slight alcohol burn.
This is the second time I've had this. I highly recommend it.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

Ink black color with minimal head. Strong roasted, spicy aroma which showcases all the adjuncts involved. Smooth wood, bourbon and mild booze tones. Assertive roasted malt with plenty of rich coffee and cocao. Chili peppers add a balanced spice. Finishes with a smooth vanilla, oak and bourbon flavor. Full bodied. Low carbonation. Improves as it warms. One of the most unique and delicious stouts I've had. So many complex flavors which all blend well and in perfect balance.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Has this back in December. Pitch black with little to no head, could really smell the spice along with the chocolate, hints of vanilla and coffee. First sip you can really taste and feel the chili peppers and the good thing is that it wasn't crazy overbearing. A good punch of booziness and great balance between all the flavors! Definitely will drink this again!

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Pitch black pour. Half finger head gone quick but reasonable due to ABV. No lace or retention.

S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, heat, minimal roast, big chocolate and vanilla notes.

T - Huge vanilla and chocolate. Little to no chili. Sweet, some alcohol. Really rich. Lovely vanilla character.

M - Good carbonation, body is a bit thin, hot finish with lot's of dryness.

O/D - This is a ballsy stout. Really rich, sweet, and flavourful. Can't taste the chili though. A really nice sipper and worthy of the hype.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

By far, the greatest beer I have ever had. Dark pour with very little head. Chocolate and coffee taste initially with a slight spice bite on the back side. Goes down very easily. Not a heavy feel. The draw is easy. Taking a drink is easy. Easy is such a generic term, but how else can I say that after taking a drink I look forward to the next one. You would never know that this is a high ABV beer. I remember how my dad looked as if he felt satisfied after taking drinks of his St. Pauli Girl, and that is exactly how I feel after every sip of this true masterpiece! Wow!!

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First had this on Tap at a local rest. Being a fan of great stouts/ coffee and chocolate.
poured into a 6 ounce snifter- before the BOMB ever reached my mouth I knew this was going to be Awesome. The Chocolate and Coffee aroma hits you in the face. Smell was like and old fashioned cup of coffee with hints of cocoa. soft velvety feel and smooth. for the ABV this stout supports and hides it very well. will continue to keep the fridge and cellar stocked with BOMB as this has become one of my personnal top 5's If you can find this on tap, I highly recomend

3.88/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip:

Appearance: lighter on the pour than I anticipated, with a cola-like color pouring from the bottle. Little to no head, with the small amount dissipating quickly. Body in the glass is dark, dark brown, bordering on black. No carbonation visible.

Aroma: little bit of vegetal scent here. Not totally off-putting, as it's mostly covered by roastiness, chocolate and coffee, but the little bit that is there makes me worried for the taste. Overall, lots to like here-strong in the coffee department, with some chocolate and solid bitter roast scent.

Taste: this started cold, which is when the beer was definitely at its worst in my opinion. Definitely picked up some of that vegetal, green pepper flavor which was not pleasant. After the initial touch of that though, the flavors were much nicer. The coffee flavor was not overwhelming, but subtly very good, and so was the touch of booziness. I like a little heat in imp stouts, and this was good. It got much better as it warmed as well. Stil, too much of that raw bell pepper flavor present for me to give this a 4 or more.

Feel: felt really thin for a beer that punches in at 13%. It packed a little heat too, so I was figuring this would be a mouth-coater and a sipper, but it was Porter-like in depth. It's better than a lot of stouts in this department, but still would've liked a bit more body.

Overall: I was really psyched to try this after drinking Vanilla Noir and loving it, but I didn't like it nearly as much. A very good stout, and I'd like to give a newer batch a try, but I wouldn't rank it among the elite stouts.

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%

I don't see any bottle date. I should also point out that my bottle does not have wax like the one depicted on this site. They must have stopped this practice.

Appearance: Black body with no head. There is a bit of a light tan film on the surface but it is only there as I pour. It then quickly fades out to nothing. There are a couple of bubbles that I could count by hand. Overall it looks average for a high ABV stout. Nothing overly impressive.

Aroma: It has a very interesting aroma. It's a mix of chocolate and very earthy spices. It smells a bit like beef jerky with some teriyaki sauce. Some alcohol makes it through but it oddly adds to the aroma. It's hard to convey...I guess it smells a bit like Bailey's Irish Cream mixed with paprika. It's very interesting and it intrigues the senses.

Taste: Wonderful chocolate flavor. Simply wonderful. It tastes like a chocolate liqueur. It's absolutely fantastic. I could sit here and talk about how I pick up faint hints of hickory or coffee and how there is this perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness that most candy bar manufacturers can't even achieve, but it would be like going to an amusement park and analyzing the food stalls when there are rollercoasters to be ridden. The chocolate flavor is fantastic. I knew going into this that the beer was made with chili peppers and that the title was "BOMB!" which I admit had me apprehensive. I can pick up some earthy flavor from the chili peppers but it is not spicy at all. The key to this beer is the wonderful chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and luxurious. It is the perfect mouthfeel for this beer.

Overall: I would say this is a world-class chocolate stout. It relies heavily on the chocolate flavor to make its impression but it is a good impression. The base beer (the stout) is hidden behind this flavor but it is as good as a supporting role as any velvety voiced back-up singer I've heard. This beer gets my highest recommendation to those who enjoy chocolate stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottled April '15
Nice-looking, opaque, dense but vanishing head - at only 8 months, I thought head retention might be better.
Nose is chocolate-covered peppers with soft cocoa.
Taste is coffee-soaked peppers, candied spices (like sticks of cinnamon dipped in butterscotch or something - odd but delectable), fizzy alcohol bite at the top of the mouth. The peppers fade as it warms, while the chocolate and cocoa intensify. "complex" is totally apt here.
Feel is very thick and smooth, the fizzy alcohol tinge clashes with the big body a bit.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales