Join our email list →

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 13.00% ABV

Beer added by: MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.
Reviews: 710 | Hads: 4,949

The hype is real.... Heard all kinds of awesome things about this and finally came across a couple of bottles... Absolutely world class delicious... The chiles turn a world class beer into a world class monster... Big, boozy, bold, delicious... What more could you ask for? It's smooth as silk and packs a damn wallop.... Perfect in all aspects... It's bigger than the sum of its parts... Blended together perfectly... This is a deserted island beer... Absolutely stunning...

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L - like many imperial stouts, black, with a brown head that dissipates quickly
A - chocolate, roasted malt and chili peppers - once you smell the peppers, the aroma really takes over.
T - not a flavor, but for me the defining characteristic of this beer is warmth - it tastes and makes you feel warm - surely helped along by the 13% ABV. Has hints of dark chocolate, mild flavor from the peppers (stonger in nose), burnt brown sugar, dark roast coffee, just gets better as you drink it
F - great body too, full, with a sweet finished, balanced by the pepper

Pours jet black with light tan head, good lacing head sticks around for a long time.
Smell is fantastic the coffee notes come strong warming to the nose slight chocolate as well.
Taste is the bomb chocolate goodness slight pepper taste, wish it had a bit more. Once it warms you get a little bit more of the booze.
Feel is very smooth medium body very slick going down, slight burn from the peppers and alcohol at the end.
My favorite beer hand down, if you have a change to get it on tap. DO IT

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with light tan head about 2", good lacing head sticks around for awhile.
Smell is amazing the chili peppers come through strong as well as the coffee notes very warming to the nose slight chocolate as well.
Taste is the bomb chocolate goodness slight pepper taste not over powering you cannot tell this is a 13% abv brew. Once it warms you get a little of the booze.
Overall I love this beer I would love to see how this ages.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Not sure what to put here that hasn't already been said. An absolutely delicious stout! Recently had Mexican cake and I enjoyed this just as much. If you ever come across this one, pick one up, or ten.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick consistency. There was an inch of foamy, tan-colored, fairly long-lasting head. Not a whole lot of lacing, though.

S: A warm, enticing aroma of coffee, malt, and a lot of chocolate.

T: A big flavor here, with a big shot of milk chocolate mingling with some coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, and chilis. A big, well-rounded taste that delivers fully. The ABV% is barely noticeable.

F: A good amount of carbonation with an incredibly silky smooth finish. Full-bodied.

O: This is a rightfully praised stout. It is exactly what the style should be: Big, forceful, and powerful.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

12 ounce bottle, julian date 16215 stamped on the bottle (June 11, 2015). Served in a Great Lakes snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like coffee, bittersweet and milk chocolate, chile peppers, and roasted malt. I think the taste is mostly like the aroma, but there's also some caramel and vanilla noticeable. I think the coffee, chocolate and roasty flavors are the strongest, but the ancho chile is a nice addition! Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's creamy and coating with moderate carbonation. The 13% ABV is well hidden, it sure doesn't seem like I'm drinking something that strong. I thought this was pretty good, I'll have to buy some more the next time I see it! $8.99 a bottle.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

12oz bottle poured into a wine style tumbler glass. Poured a very dark black with a tan head. Scent of Cocoa and Vanilla. The flavors of the cocoa, coffee and vanilla all mix very well. The Chili Peppers were not present while cold but slowly make an appearance as the beer warms. The high ABV was hidden very well in this beer. I would recommend pouring half into your glass, leaving the bottle out while drinking the first half, then drink the second after it has warmed in the bottle. Amazing Beer!

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Xmas 2015 beer. Great flavors here. The cocoa and coffee and pepper were all subtler than a few others I've had (stone xocoveza comparisons arise, and I prefer that, though really they're slightly different, and I enjoyed both--this one is more boozy, more subdued on the pepper). Overall, the elements blend together well, with a bit of vanilla to perhaps soften and sweeten the alcohol heat. A winner for certain.

2.51/5  rDev -44%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

L: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Weizen glass. Opaque black, No waterfall, very thin head fades to nothing, no lacing. S: over cooked green peas. Day old coffee grounds. T: dirt, with heat. F: stomach churn. Some body coating mouth. O: this imperial stout is so overrated or I got a bad one. It is terrible. I cannot even tell what the Brewer is going for. I finished it because I don't waste beer, and it was 13%.

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bombs away! Bombs away!
Tried this head to head with Stone Xocoveza. it mos def was better. mouthfeel is much richer. letting it warm will help a lot. great sipper.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

Poured a black body with two finger khaki head and left no lace. While some roasted malts and hints of chili peppers come in, mostly I smell vanilla and dark chocolate. Smooth, almost milky slick mouthfeel, probably the smoothest and easiest drinking beer that I've ever had with double digit ABV (which is incredibly well hidden). The coffee and chili are noticeable on backend and help give beer another dimension as for most part it is real chocolaty and sweet (some vanilla in there but mostly chocolate). This is a beer that I could keep pounding b/c of my sweet tooth but I could see why some people don't like it as it very sweet and not for fans of only dry stouts.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this fresh at an OKC taproom. Packs a lot of heat between the chilis and boozy 13% abv. Pitch black in the glass with a head that dissipates quickly. Very smooth mouthfeel, though it struck me as a little thin for such a big stout. Taste is complex and interesting; the cacao nibs mix with the chilis to give it almost a cinnamon flavor. Was happy to have this around Christmastime: a festive winner!

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

This was one of my more anticipated beers. Poured out dark black with very little head to it that went away almost as soon as I had set it down on the table. The scent wowed me as I really picked up vanilla and coffee. I couldn't really get much of the peppers at first, but they were in there. I got them much more in the taste, however. It wasn't as strong as I had thought it would be for a 13% ABV beer. This one seemed to be a tad more boozy than I had heard from others, but the initial coffee/chocolate hit really started this off right for me. The middle of the glass was where it hit its sweet spot for me. The flavors were mixed best by that point and honestly it was better as it warmed. It was my first experience with a high ABV Imperial Stout and first with a chili pepper blend, but it was a great first experience. Top notch beer.

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black as night with a small brown head. Not much lacing. Smells of chili peppers, chocolate and vanilla. Tastes of chili peppers in the front and chocolate in the back. Medium pepper heat with a smooth mouthfeel. I would buy this again.

3.55/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Could have gone to sbux if I really wanted coffee with vanilla. The chili is very subtle (was able to smell the aroma of it once I popped the bottlecap and took my first whiff), and I would say that the chili is there as the 'kick' for every sip.

Light-tasting for a 13%.

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

$10 for 8oz pour at local bar. Drank from snifter.

It kind of tastes like a chocolate Pepsi mixed with vodka. It definitely improves as it warms up. Tastes light for a 13%. I would buy it again, but wouldn't seek it out.

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark and thick. Very dark brown with good claity, noticeable legs. Thin head dissipates quickly.

Aroma has a good amount of alcohol heat, chocolate and chili.pepper.

Taste is similar to aroma, but not as hot. Alcohol, chocolate , coffee and chili peppers. Flavor is dominated by a huge chocolate malt sweetness. Like whopper malt balls.

A great big, chewy stout. Price is high though at $ 9 to $10 per bottle.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not worth the admission price. For 9.99 a bottle we should be in for some unicorn blood type taste here. But it failed to live up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, this is a great tasting beer. Especially for a stout that is much more nuanced then most others in this category. But I will tak a four pack of Narwhal for the same price. Cheers

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Good. Just not great. I've tried this two or three times, trying to find the hype? I will take Founders Breakfast Stout for a quarter of the price. (Only drawback being the chili finish.....which I like a ton.)

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Tuttle for hooking this up back when it wasn't a shelf turd.

Looked the part, brown and black, thin beige head. Smelled of everything advertised, coffee, chocolate, peppers and vanilla.

Rich, luxurious taste and mouthfeel. I bit pricey at almost a dollar and ounce, but its a damn good beer, there's been some batch variation to say the least the last year or so, but in its pristine form, this is an enjoyable beer, delivers the flavor without undue sweet or bitterness. Its a solid beer. But jeez, $60/6 pack? C'mon man.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Prairie's BOMB! a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and now that it's available where I live I knew I needed to try it, but the price is a little off putting, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This label looks good, it's got a nice simple design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just a thin ring of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, but I wish it had a little more head and better retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to showed up and they impart a roasted malt, slightly charred, sweet malt and big chocolate aromas with the chocolate sticking out the most and it imparts some nice dark chocolate and milk chocolate like aromas and it goes right into some coffee which is noticeable, but not too overpowering which I like. Up next comes a light alcohol aroma that leads into the malt spices which impart a nice mixture with cinnamon sticking out the most.. This beer has a very nice aroma, it's complex and all the different aspects work well together.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with those malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the dark chocolate sticking out the most and in the background comes the coffee which shows up just as much as it did in the aroma. Up next a noticeable boozy flavor, it's noticeable, but not overpowering and it's followed by the spices which impart that same mixture of spices that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's some sweet malts with just a little bit of bitterness with a little bit of alcohol coming through in the aftertaste along with chocolate, coffee and spices. and the chili pepper shows up right at the end. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors work well together, but it's a little on the boozy side.

M- Fairly smooth, velvety, a little rich, not too crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is very nice, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, it had everything that I was looking for in the style and no single aspect ever got to be too overpowering while retaining a good amount of complexity. This beer had decent drinkability, one glass is the right amount of me, it might start to get too boozy after more than that. What I like the most about this beer was the complexity and how all the different aspects worked well together. What I liked the least about this beer is the booze, I think it could have been hidden a little better. I would buy this beer again, but only for special occasions since it's pretty pricey and I would recommend it to anyone who likes spices stouts. All in all I really liked this beer and I was a little impressed, I don't think it's world class, but it's pretty damn good. All in all this my new favorite beer from this brewery and it's a very nice example of the style. Great job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

As advertised. Cocoa nibs, coffee, and peppers. Pitch black, no head, thick as oil. Peppers are warm but alcohol is warmer. I'd say this is an acquired taste. The hot peppers are a little strange.

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%

BOMB! surprised me. I was expecting an imperial stout, and instead I got a cocoa bomb. Mind, it's an impressive cocoa bomb, but I didn't get any of the roasty flavors that I expected. I also couldn't pick up the Chile influence, although in fairness, I do like hot peppers, so maybe the chiles are there, just below my detection threshold. Recommended if you like Hershey's syrup.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, no head, very dark.
Smell is coffee forward, tastes like dark chocolate syrup. Very delicious.
Not picking up on the chili peppers or vanilla much but still tastes great.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales