Microbrew Invitational

BOMB!BOMB!

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 783 | Ratings: 5,302
4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Love the cap, my all time favorite now, a catfish.

Appearance: I think this is the best part of the beer, it has a world class appearance, pitch black, no light, nice creamy tan head, a lot of lacing that I have never seen in an imperial stouts.

Smell: Big coffee, a little roasted pepper smell on the end, a little bit of chocolate, but the coffee is the most prevalent aroma.

Taste: Coffee, a little roasted pepper, not getting any chocolate on the taste, some bitterness at the back end, a lot of heat like taking a shot. I think its a combination of the alcohol 13% and the roasted peppers, getting a big dry bitter coffee flavor, it's almost as if I am eating coffee grounds, really close with the dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy, dry mouthfeel that lingers.

Overall: I am not sure what to think about this beer, too much going on for me, roasted coffee, peppers, bitterness, heat, complex but I am not sure if this is a good thing. I love stouts and porters with peppers, but I think the flavors in this beer don't mix well, leaves a dry coffee bitterness that lingers on the palate. I was expecting more especially for the price, $9.99 for a 12 ounce bottle.

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours black with a mocha head.

S: Dark chocolate, some tangy/spicy chilly, cinnamon, coffee in the nose.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and chilly flavors. Delicious.

M: Thick, full bodied and creamy smooth.

O: Really really tasty. Definitely recommended.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is amazing. My first bomb right after a Bible Belt and this blows it away. The flavors are similar but this is so much more balanced and subtle. Nice vanilla coffee cacao and a hint of chili combine nearly perfectly. I thoroughly enjoyed this and look forward to opening my other bottles.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served at 65 degrees in oversized snifter

This is a good beer. 2 fingers of dark kaki head, black as night. Smell is predominantly coffee and cocoa nibs with a subtle spice diced peppers smell. Taste gets a bit more complex with amplified notes of what you smell… No vanilla at all for me, kinda disappointing there. Feels great on the tongue like any good RIS. As I said at the beginning this is a good beer… this is not a great beer. Abraxas is a vastly superior mexican style imperial stout. Maybe this just needs age… will re review in a year or so.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours an opaque warm black with a thin head the color of chocolate milk. Smells of cocoa, coffee and roasted malts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. The taste is of bitter dark chocolate with nice roasted flavors. The chile
is prominent on the tail end, but it is a welcome break from the intense bitter and earthy flavors of the cocoa nibs and coffee. This beer is incredibly well balanced. It drinks remarkably well for that high of an abv. Cheers on this right here!

4.41/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bought a single 12 oz bottle from Gabriels Beer Warehouse in San Antonio while on travel.
Appearance is that of your typical top flight stout. Smell is heavy on the coffee and a little chocolate. Taste is very solid, but like the smell it was just a little too heavy on the coffee and hop finish. I really liked the subtle hint of chile but its very slight so its added very well. Biggest highlight to me is how this 13% beer is so light and not boozy at all. Feels like an 8% Stout. Overall I highly recommend a sampling but I can't quite put it into that top tier with a small handful of others that I liked better.

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours out like old engine oil with a dark brown head which clears quick. Bit of carb noted. Looks like its sprinkling on top of the beer. Smell is of rich dark chocolate and dark coffee. Smells like a big stout. Raisins and molasses come through as well. Taste is out of this world. Dark chocolate and burnt coffee throughout with the slightest touch of heat at the finish. Mouthfeel is about perfect for me too. Coats the mouth well, tingles the palate and the heat at the end ties everything together. Overall one of my favorite new beers. Gotta have this if you love stouts.

4.23/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at The Hoppy Monk in El Paso. Served in a 10 ounce snifter.

Beautiful in the snifter with a dark khaki-colored head that quickly settles over the pitch black body.

Fresh dark roast coffee and some sweet malt are prominent on the nose. Not detecting much but I just drove 4 hours from Albuquerque.

Still lots of dark roast coffee on the tongue, but also a slight bite of chile, some vanilla, dark chocolate, and a finish that consists of bitter hops, dark chocolate and the pique from the chile lingering for a long dry finish.

The alcohol is all but buried, the beer is viscous, creamy, hopped up and spicy. Certainly a lot going on. Great, interesting and unique beer. Those are my types.

3.89/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz bottle purchased for $8.99, pretty damn pricy for a non-barrel aged stout. I am always suspicious of these high priced beers from new breweries even if people are hyping them to hell and back. Suspicions confirmed. This was a good beer it was just grossly overpriced, $5 would be much more appropriate. Dark solid black, coffee colored head, looks pretty rich. Aroma was a touch of chocolate and thick imperial stout. Flavor had notes of chocolate but I didn't really pick up much coffee or peppers. This was good but I think Bible Belt was better and it certainly wasn;t worth the price tag.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a dark black color with an off white head. Thick oily goodness.
Smells of vanilla, coconut, chocolate powder, and roasted malt. Inviting aroma to say the least. It's readily apparent in the nose that this is a great beer.
In the taste, hazlenut, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, mild spice, wood, char, toast, molasses, and a fair hop bitterness. A little alcohol comes through. Full bodied, smooth drinkable brew. This is delicious. Not much else needs to be said. Overall this is a big beer that is awesome.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Gold Wax bottle... many thanks to Sid at Best Damn Beer in SD.

Had heard good things, but wasn't prepared. This beer beats the hype.

Poured into my Evo snifter. Came out a full black pour with a generous creamy head. 13%? No way would I think if would be such a full whipped cream like top. Dissipated fairly fast, but left some solid creamy edges and lace as the glass emptied. Looked all of a very well made beer.
Nose was very good. Rich roasted coffee, some chocolate, some vegetable like notes. Hinted something rich and complex. But the taste? No hinting here...Taste was just jaw dropping! OMG... Bomb is the perfect name. .a chocolate bomb...waves of vanilla...bright hits of peppers ( best pepper inclusion I've had since Hunahpu)...then chocolate again. May be best chocolate beer I've ever tasted. Then it got decadent. Pure silk mouth feel. The malts were so full and balanced. You know the alcohol is big....but like an XO. So smooth...no burn. An amazing sipper.
Unsure, but understand "gold" wax is older batch. Can't compare, but this beer probably went from great to outstanding from some aging. If I get another bottle...it's going right to the cellar.
And I just love it's a 12oz'er

4.14/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

No wax... newer bottle... poured into tulip glass.

A- Dark, almost coffee brown. No speakable head, but thin layer of redish-brown bubbles.
S- Smell is complex. I get dark coco and peppers, but the coffee smells almost freeze-dried... not super appealing.
T- Again as complex as the smell. Waves of sweet and heat. Dark coco and light coffee, followed by pepper, washed away be coco and vinilla. Very well balanced. For being such a high ABV, I expected to taste the alcohol, but it is nicely hidden.
M- Smooth, but chalky at the same time. The chalky is like the mouthfeel of eating dark chocolate bars... not a bad feel, but intersting in beer.
O- I wanted to like this more with all the hype, but I wan't blown away. It's very, very good, but not as perfect as I thought it would be. Maybe the flavors have to meld for a while longer... glad I have two more bottles.

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Orange Wax

A: A big three finger head that almost got away from me while pouring the beer into a teku glass. The foam is a dark caramel color, similar to cola, with pillowy small bubbles. Endless retention that never seems to fall, when it does it leaves a dark soapy looking lacing with random placing on the edge. The beer is pitch black, no light peeks through in the brightest areas.

S: Big chocolate nose. Milk chocolate, bakers chocolate, dark cocoa with caramel and coffee. Vanilla is equally balanced in the nose as it warms up, no artificial flavor hear folks. Sweet aroma overall with a nice welcoming chocolate impression. No alcohol or off aromas to speak off.

T: Chocolate from front to back. Big dark chocolate flavor mixed with silky milk chocolate and a moderate neutral bitterness in the beginning. It reminds me of drinking chocolate milk. As the flavors continute the vanilla and caramel flavors kick in mellowing out the roastyness that starts creeping in. The sweetness is dialed in perfectly for my taste. Not overwhelming, but just enough to make it desert like with all the chocolate and vanilla flavors going on. There is a subtle earthy hop flavor in the finish that makes it kind of refreshing (for a 14%??).

M: The peppers come through as more of a tingling mouthfeel then a flavor, however its mild and a nice compliment. The carbonation is mild and makes the beer feel silky smooth. The body is thick and full with some creamyness for days.

O: Wow.. Lived up to it's name. And I wish more beers with this high of gravity would come in this format instead of bombers. A dangerously drinkable, chocolate filled, vanilla soaked, imperial stout that goes down like silk. If you don't like this beer you probably don't like the style..

4.06/5  rDev -9.4%

Lots of coffee, which is great, but the coffee itself is not great. Bitterness in the range of an espresso shot of burned coffee beans. Coffee is nothing near was BCBCS has.

Peppers are very present. Gives the beer an interesting finish and warmth. Not super pleasant, not unpleasant, just very unique. Not usually a huge fan of beers with chile peppers, but this is very well balanced.

Glad I got to try a bottle of this. I would buy again, but probably not seek out again.

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into stone snifter.

Pours black, big charred brown head that settles a good ring. Lacing is minimal.

Flavors of coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla, the charred exterior of a toasted marshmallow, roasted peanut, and subtle spice in the form of cinnamon and old cayenne.

Mouthfeel is medium with carbonation like that of a porter. A little slick yet a bit watery.

Overall the beer displays solid flavors and appearance but falls short in the mouthfeel and smell department. It's not a Huna or Abraxas.

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in snifter.

A-Dark brown that left a nice head.

S-WOW, strong coffee smell, you get the roasty malt as well as a little of the peppers.

T-This is certainly a bold beer, a taste I will not soon forget.

M-Full bodied, became more drinkable with every sip I took.

O-Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot, I was waiting to see what the hype was all about and it certainly lived up to it.

Cheers to @shaneshort

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pink wax - Poured into a Westbrook snifter

A - Pours bitch black and settles quickly with little head retention to a light khaki ring around the glass. The lacing is slippery and it displays a decent amount of carbonation around the outside of the glass. I can't wait to dive in!

S - The aroma is of dark roasted coffee and spices. There is no mistaking that there are chilies in this beer. Almost remind me of Abraxas (I hope I win the lottery for Ba Abraxas...lol). You can also detect subtle hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. There is maybe the tiniest bit of vanilla, but nothing overwhelming. Enough is enough...let's drink it!

T - The first flavor that hits my palate is coffee. It almost is reminiscent of BCBCS, but then the spiciness of the chillies kick in. Like the nose, there is a faint amount of vanilla and a hint of cinnamon that make themselves know on the back end. The spice of this beer covers them up. There is a touch of dark chocolate, but there is mostly coffee in this one. Trust me, there is nothing disappointing here.

M - Perfect balance of carbonation bite, spiciness, and depth of flavors. Medium to full bodied, mouth coating with a long finish.

O - This is one beer that is hard to criticize. What else is there to say about this that hasn't been said already. I am glad that I have another in the cellar. This one seems like it can go another 6mo.- 1yr, but it probably won't make it that long. I would be more inclined to drink this fresh as to get all it has to offer before it fades away. Buy/trade for one if you haven't had it! I promise you won't be disappointed.

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell of coffee is very strong. The taste is a smooth mix of coffee and cocoa. It's a little thick on the tongue. It's rich in flavor and aroma. it's certainly one of the best coffee beers I've ever had. I also appreciate the size of the bottle and design.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured a rich dark brown, with light brown head that disappears quickly.

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate, with a hint of spice.

The first tastes of chocolate with a coffee bite. Notes of sweet and vanilla follow.

Rolls across the tongue, leaving a slight coating. The pepper leaves a pleasant heat on the sides of the pallet.

A very enjoyable beer.

I was very lucky to get not just one bottle of the Bomb but two yesterday afternoon. After letting it cool down for a full day and also chilling a tulip glass in the freezer, I decided to open it up. After pouring the Bomb into the glass I could instantly smell the rich notes of the stout itself. Gorgeous, dark brown head. The first taste was absolutely incredible. The vanilla beans really came out, but only for a short second followed by the chili pepper. The instant decline of the chili pepper rounded everything out perfectly, making me want that second taste immediately. I can tell certain little other notes and the full taste if I actually burp a little after I've drank it for a while(sound nasty but you get a whole new taste). The chili pepper really came out heavy, but amazing at the same time.

I've had literally hundreds of stouts from around the world and this one is hands down top on my list. The appearance is beautiful, the smell is rich, the taste is out of this world and the mouthfeel really sets a high standard for any other stout I might want to try out in the future.

4.61/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black color with a mocha brown head, and barely any head ever accumulates. Smell is muted at first, but as it warms up milk chocolate bursts onto the noise with some coffee as well. First sip is creamy and smooth with vanilla and sweet chocolate melting on the tongue. Then as the sip settles a strong coffee bitterness pops and brings the roasty malts along with a tiny bit of that pepper. Also, at 13% there is hardly any alcohol presence to speak of, to the point where I almost forgot to even mention it here. Mouthfeel is creamy and sticky as it warms up. Full body and mildly carbonated. Overall, this is an incredible beer and I highly recommend seeking it out. Im not usually the biggest fan of coffee forward stouts, but the smooth vanilla/milk chocolate superbly balances the coffee bitterness and roasted malts.And for reference this was fresh, so It'd be interesting to see how this ages.

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Beaitiful rich brown head that stretches over two fin guts pouring down the middle. Jet black with decent carbonation that leaves a very thi. Tipping over the beer as it sits next to me.

Smell: Roasted malts and coffee hit first. milk chocolate like quality to it as well, sensing it's richness of the smell. But after that you get a dry finish that starts to show you there are indeed peppers in this beer.

Taste: light coffee and cocoa lead. You get a sense of the vanilla afterwards but it's a nuance and I might not know it was there if I hadn't read it on the label. Certainly a secondary ingrediant. Finishes dry and balanced.

Mouthfeel: Not sure if it's that the beer is perfectly carbonated or if the mouthfeel is a tad light for the style. Either way I think it works very well. Carbonation moves the beer around well. Pepper leaves a drying quality that gets you ready for another sip

Overall: Might be the best non barrel aged beer I've reviewed. Bible Belt will be reviewed soon. BOMB! is awesome an I'm glad I have friends in Oklahoma. Well done to Prairie Artisan Ales.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Obsidian black with mocha head, viscous pour
S: chocolate, coffee, mild spiciness, cinnamon
T: Coffee, chocolate, minimal spice, vanilla, roasty, mild booziness
M: Chewy, liquid chocolate, mild burn from alcohol
O: A fantastic beer that makes you wonder how many flavors can be packed into a world class ale

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark espresso brown
S: Espresso and dark chocolate, with vanilla hints
T: What a joy! This beer was worth the trade I made to get it (LOL, it was actually not too bad of a trade :)
M: Full-bodied, the espresso is evident, but not overwhelming.
D: You can drink this bad boy any time, except bedtime, since it will give you an energy jolt!

Overall: A-

This is one of my absolute gold standards for stouts. Poured from a yellow wax bottle into a tulip glass. Poured a thin, caramel head. Aromas of vanilla, roasted malt, coco, and coffee. Taste is so sweet and pleasant with ample vanilla to balance the roasted malt and coffee flavors. Unbelievably smooth with just a minor hint of chile flavor and virtually no residual heat. I could drink this all day/night/day...!

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales