Prairie Wine Barrel Noir - Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: tronester on 06-18-2013

I was looking forward to this one....

Aroma was magnificent. Chocolate and cream.

Taste. What a tannic and sour hot mess. There is complexity to this beer. However I was unable to enjoy it.

Poured the beer out.

Mouthful was acidic with a dry finish.

Overall. Somethings were not meant to be blended such as a dolphin and an elephant. They're both mammals, such as wine and beer cause I intoxication... But both should not be blended. Tannic has no place in beer like a roving dumbo has a place in the ocean.

1.5/5  rDev -61.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Color- black. Thick coffee with cream head.

Aroma- Godiva coffee liqueur, chocolate covered coffee beans, and hint of rum raisins.

Taste- A weird sour imperial stout. The intro is harshly sour, probably from the wine barrel aging, then finishes with a long lingering traditional imperial stout roasted coffee tone. Overall, a disappointment. I had to pour this after three small sips. Purchased at an HEB in Austin May 2014. Perhaps a bad batch? But this was really sour and off.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 6/7/14

1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

Seriously...are there any Prairie beers that don't totally suck and/or aren't infected? Do people rate them up just because it's the only thing that comes out of Oklahoma?

Slight gusher from the bottle. Dark black-brown pour into a mini-snifter...but that wasn't cutting it...I needed a full-sized snifter to contain all the foam that came out even from a careful pour. The head never completely died down between when I opened the bottle and when I dumped the beer down the drain. Infection was apparent in the aroma right from the beginning, lesser notes of roasted malt, and not much else. Taste of rotten fruit, sour infection, wet wood, charred malts. Really bad, and completely undrinkable. Seems to be the trend with Prairie beers, and I don't know how they're getting away with it. Well, at least their glassware is neat.

2.27/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Black with creamy tan head. Nice, huge head.

Nose is typical stout licorice up front, lots of jersey caramel, some raspberry. Hints of sourness. Some marshmallow.

Taste has a strong sourness to it. Lots of red wine tannins. But just huge sourness...it shouldn't be here. It has a grittiness to it...at times it tastes like biting into off fruit.

Back palate has huge sourness, more raspberry, mushrooms

Really pretty woeful to be charging the price they are in Australia for such an obviously infected and malformed beer.

People are gonna buy this expecting BA stout flavours and will get a soured acidic and tannic mess.

The sourness is totally at odds with the bold stout profile and is ultimately somewhat unpleasant.

Disappointing as there is still a bit of the original stout's presence before it was raped by infection, and it is quite solid. I will probably finish this beer, but it's not great.

2.8/5  rDev -28%

Bottle to snifter.

A- WB Noir pours a thick, motor oil body. No head whatsoever on this one. Light effervescent carbonation.

S- First note of something funky. Get a little bit of the red wine barrel character here with a bunch of sour notes. A little bit of cranberry shines through the muted stouts notes of chocolate, burnt toast, and smoked malts.

T- Big time funk here. Lots of metallic characters on the pallets. The faintest bit of red wine can be found if looked for.

O- Something went wrong here.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

Out of the bottle and into a PAA tulip

A - dark and ominous. Looks great with a great 2 finger head.

S - very different. Roast, chocolate, and wine. Wine, wine, wine.

T - Tastes like a pinot or cab with a stout mixed in. Figs, oak, cherry, chocolate, etc.

M - while effervescent, its hot still. Full bodied.

O - what the heck did I just drink? A wine or a beer? Had to drain pour the rest. A hot wine mess that seemed interesting, but only for a moment.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%

The beer is deep black with minimal head. The smell is not inviting. It gives quad-like fruits and funk. The beer is completely out of balance. The base stout is lost by some layers of funk and light acidity. The tannins are really strong and boozy. It's a tad thin and an odd slickness from the tannins.

Heavy, chunky sediment in the bottle; smell is more roast cocoa than wine. Taste is initially brash wine, jammy, and goes in to a burnt roast coffee. Carbonation is high and scrubbing, off dry, red wine bleeds through in the two minutes between each sip.

3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

Enjoyed from a Dino glass.

a - brew pours black with a thin off tan head that didn't hang out long but never fully went away.

s - nose is chocolate roast with vinous notes.

t - chocolate covered cherry a bit medicinal, as the red wine seems to fight for prominence with the stouty base.

m - prickly carb a hint of booziness, fruity on a stout.

o - overall, not really my bag but drinkable. The red wine doesn't really seem to work too great here and seems to take away more than it gives. Fun tick, but skip able brew.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

12 oz undated bottle prchased at Central Market (San Antonio) 2 days ago.

A - Pitch black; creamy brown head with great retention and sticky lacing.

Aroma: Moderate-strong red wine and wine barrel components dominate the dark malts.

Flavor: over-powering red wine and wine barrel aspects. The normal stout flavors start to come out mid-taste, but it's back to red wine and barrels

Feel: soft, medium-low carbonation; very smooth; full body.

O: an unsuccessful transformation of a fine Imperial Stout.

3.21/5  rDev -17.5%

Pour is black with tons of tight mocha colored head. Nose is olive pit, a bit of roasted malt, some nice dry chocolate notes, a touch of juicy red wine, and a hint of booze in back. Taste is a bit sweet. Front end is sweet, sugary and cherry with some red wine notes, a fair bit of roasted malt mid palate, faint chocolate malt, and boozy in the finish. Full bodied, well carbonated, soft feel. Pretty solid but the booziness gets a touch harsh in the back on both the nose and flavor.

3.29/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Deep brown with a reddish tinge. Steady, light head of fizz.

S: Wood, cherry bubblicious, cardboard, smoke.

T: Disjointed - bit of an acidic tang/sourness, woody bitterness, backbone of sweetness.

M: Bit fizzy - carbonation doesn't match the style.

O: The barrel treatment is kind of clumsy - the beer doesn't really come together. I'd like to try the base beer for comparison's sake.

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into an Ikea snifter. The liquid is just totally black. The pour produces an ungodly-sized dark brown head for a beer of this ABV. Normally for stouts like this I just pour the whole thing into the center of the snifter and count myself lucky if I can get a finger of head, but this one ballooned up almost instantly and I had to wait a minute before I could pour the rest. After a minute, it fades to one finger and stays that way, leaving a nice amount of lace the whole way down. This is a ridiculously good-looking beer!

Aroma is kind of strange. There's a weird, surprising tartness that's the dominant note on the nose, and some roasty chocolate in the background. The tartness isn't overtly vinous, but I can kind of imagine that it came from the wine-barrel-aging if I think about it. Almost like a vinegar note buried in there too.

The taste starts out with a bit of smooth dark chocolate, and then the tartness from the nose comes in and starts to dominate. It is more vinous on the palate than on the nose, and is hard to describe - it does kind of taste like fermenting grapes, and maybe a little bit oaky. I know I'm probably kind of off describing it with the word cellar at all, but it kind of tastes like what I would imagine an old wine cellar would smell like. Tartness kicks in even more on the aftertaste, along with some kind of astringent mineraliness. It's interesting, but I can't say I like it all that much. Maybe I would if I was more into wine?

Mouthfeel is pretty luxurious, at least. The body is pretty full, and there's some nice carbonation to cut through it, and the good head retention seems to help keep the mouthfeel really silky, as a little bit of the head comes in on each sip.

Overall, it's an interesting beer, but kind of seems like an experiment gone wrong - or, at least, an experiment that didn't really hit my preferred flavor notes. I still haven't had regular Noir, but, aside from the incredible appearance and luxurious mouthfeel, this is shockingly different from Coffee Noir!

3.39/5  rDev -12.9%

12oz bottle poured into a TG snifter 8/22/2014.

A- Dark black body, almost opaque and brown. For an imperial stout, this comes with a suspiciously large tan head that persists for quite a while. [3.75]

S- Wine barrel, a bit of diacetyl butter, oak and graham crackers. There isn't a lot of the base imperial stout to be smelled here. [3.5]

F- Dark fruit, blueberries and raspberries, oak, red wine tannins, graham crackers and a bit of cocoa. Not as much of the base beer as I'd expect, but at least this isn't infected as far as I can tell. [3.5]

M- On the thinner side, a bit lower in carbonation. Drinkable, but that's as good as it gets. [3.25]

O- Not that great. Thin body kind of kills the wine barrel flavours that otherwise come across fairly well here. [3]

Final score: 3.3875

(Using the above ratings for each category and the weights below, per the old system)
Appearance 5%
Aroma 20%
Taste 45%
Mouthfeel 10%
Overall 20%

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: pours black with a nice thick tan head with excellent retention.

S: wine barrel characteristics definitely come through most prominently on the nose. heavy toasted barrel.

T: very unique. heavily toasted oak is very prominent, slight vanilla from the barrel. red wine characteristics are fairly dominant. I get some dry red grapes. a slightly chocolately toast from the malt. Alcohol is not present.

M: too thin for the style. too highly carbonated.

O: eh. not as good as I had expected. The appearance is definitely the best part of this beer.

O: certainly an interesting and unique beer.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle, into a snifter

A - To begin, gobs of latte brown foam. Even with a slight, easy pour I got a good 2 inches of head. The liquid itself is impenetrable black.

S - A huge quaff of coffee, baking chocolate and oak leaps from the glass. Once the head dies down, I take a real sniff and get even more charred wood and a sampler of dark fruit: red grapes, and also currant, black cherry and plum.

T - There vinous wine barrel notes hit early and dominate. Cabernet and a lot of wood, leaving a charred taste behind. The coffee-ish malting fights against the fruit, but it's a losing battle. Hints of citrus and sherry. Ends a bit sour, almost like a kriek.

M - Thinner than I like in a stout and incredibly dry. A little sting of alcohol, but nothing too hot.

Definitely not my favorite Prairie, but interesting. Curious how this will age, if the fruit and wood will mellow and integrate better. Though I don't love this, I'd get another to cellar for a year or so and revisit.

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Purchased in Little Rock and reviewed in my hotel room as I lie in bed. Poured into a rocks glass.

A – Pours a viscous inky black with a half-finger tan head. Some minor lacing. 4.75

S – Roasted coffee. 4

T – Very vinous. Can definitely taste the red wine. 3.0

MF – Medium-bodied with a dry finish. 3.75

O – A unique beer that I would best described as a stout mixed with a red wine. Not a sour stout but similar in some tastes. 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -10%

A Pitch black beer with a thick brown head, good retention

S It smells almost exactly as I expected, nice malty stout, lots of chocolate and roast malts with just a hint of the wine barrel.

T The taste is a lot more wine barrel than you would think by the aroma. A lot of tart grape flavor and oakiness but the imperial stout takes a backseat. Tastes like a chocolate covered cherry.

M Thinner than it should be for the style. Light carbonation.

O Not a bad beer but not what I was hoping for. I think I would enjoy it more if the wine barrel was more subtle. The Smell got my hopes up, but the wine flavor is a little overpowering. With a little tweaking this has potential to be an outstanding beer.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- mocha colored head. Pitch black color and some lace. No visible carbonation. 4

S- fruity, vinous, slightly malty, berry. 3.75

T- huge raspberry, slight chocolate, very grapey, kind of like a cordial. Baker's chocolate finish. 3.5

M- vinous, thin, lightly carbed and very dry. Some sweetness. Slightly sour. 3.75

Overall- 3.5 good but slightly odd. A bit vinous and lacking in stout qualities.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml caged and corked bottle served in a Old Guardian snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a micro bubbled mocha head. Smooth lacing left behind.

S - Roasted malts and baker's chocolate jump right out. Sweet but savory. The wine barrel is very present. Woody red wine, and raspberry aroma, some smokiness. The malts overtake the wine barrels as it warms up.

T - A vinous tartness wakes up the palate. Pinot noir, raspberries, cranberries, woody tannins, tangy fruit, the roasted chocolate malts stay underneath the acidic fruit/wine notes. As it warms the chocolate comes out more and almost pairs with the wine character, but when room temp the roast seems to clash with the acidity of the fruit. Finishes tart and dry.

M - Medium body, kinda on the thin side, carbonation is low but creamy,

This was a fun one to drink. I haven't found a wine barrel stou that I've fallen in love with yet. This comes close though. There's a small window of temperature were the flavors work pretty well together but before and after that window it's not exactly harmony. It's not bad just not great. The nose is very enticing and gives notions of minor tartness but the flavor is more tart than I was expecting. I love the wine component but I'm not in love with the combining efforts. Glad I tried this and am anxious to see how my other bottle turns out in a couple of years.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at petrol station.

1 finger of tan head. Splattered lace. Color is black.

Flavor profile: it kind of tastes like a sour stout. The wine barrels really come through on this one. Tart cherries and sour grapes. Roasted malts. Plums, black licorice, molasses, and black cherries. A decent amount of oak. Chocolate.

Mouthfeel: tart and roasted. Full bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall, a bit too sour/tart for a stout for me and too roasted on top of that. Other than that, I enjoyed it, but I won't buy more of this one.

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Started about 55+ degrees (too cold).
Poured dark brown, near black. Very dark tan head, two fingers, long staying power, quite foamy. A lot of carbonation.
Smell was wine. Maybe malt at one point, but ultimately it is wine, wine, wine.
And the taste? Well, that was wine too. First drink was, wow, is this a stout? Check that, is this even a beer? It was wine, and a bit sour at that. I chose to let it sit, breath and warm up. Good choice.
This beer started kicking in at 60 degrees. I was no longer drinking a sour wine. I could detect beer! But wine was still dominant flavor. Sourness dissipated, still in background. Or did I just grow use to it? Tart fruit. Hint (just a hint) of chocolate.
I took my time with this stout. In part to let it warm up, in part out of self defense. That's a good thing because I believe this is a sipper all the way.
Overall, not sure when or why I would drink this again. I wouldn't replace a wine with it like I might an aged Abyss. This beer never mellowed out like a wine or even a good bourbon barrel stout, for example. Never had anything like this one. Will be interesting to see what the Brandy Noir is like when I get around to that one. I love Prairie Bomb! One of my favorites. The only reason I would recommend this one is to experience its uniqueness.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

poured 750ml into chalice. Cork had 2013 printed on it and I have had this bottle for 6 months.

A - Night sky black with a 1 finger dense tan head. Fades slowly into a nice collar around the glass and there is a good amount of tan lacing.

S - The wine is upfront. There is a good aroma of Cabernet Sauvignon. The stout is in background with roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and maybe a hint if brown sugar.

T - At first sip, this was very different. I certainly get the wine barrel that gives it a slight tartness. The stout is more dark chocolate with some marshmallow. It ends with an odd aftertastes. Even at 11% I don't pick up alcohol.

M - A nice full body with normal carbonation for a stout. There is a dry aspect from the wine.

O - At first I didn't know what to think, but it did grow on me. I think the wine barrel adds an unfortunate odd aftertaste. This is good, but once is enough for me.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, dark fruit, red wine, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with sour fruit and cocoa flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a solid red wine barrel aged presence.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a silky looking black with probably the most ridiculous head I've ever seen. It's like a root beer float head that lasts half an hour. If you move the beer, the head wiggles like jello. Pretty crazy stuff.

S: Dusty cocoa, light raisin and red wine and maybe a hint of spice. A little underwhelming, but still smells good.

T: The wine and stout kind of work together and kind of don't. At their best, the flavor is reminiscent of dark chocolate covered cherries or Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Powerberries. But other times, the flavors become a bit disjointed and you get strong cocoa and dark chocolate flavors trying to mingle with a heavy zinfandel note and not really melding. An interesting effort and definitely worth a try.

Prairie Wine Barrel Noir from Prairie Artisan Ales