The Jabberwocky - The Lone Pint Brewery

Beer added by: champ103 on 04-22-2013

Ratings: 67 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by StArnoldFan:
2.92/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Boondoggles in Seabrook, TX. I haven't had a bad beer by Lone Pint yet so I'm excited to try the Jabberwocky with my lunch.

Cloudy faded copper in color with no head and no lacing. Smell is very faint but mostly malty with a hint of mango or pineapple fruit. I prefer a more piney IIPA so the malty smell is usually a dead giveaway that I'm not going to enjoy. Taste follows the nose and is overly malty for my liking. Usually I coincide this with age for this style, but being that Lone Pint is so small and draft only I have to assume this is what they were shooting for. Overall I'm not impressed in the least. So far my least favorite offering from Lone Pint, if given the option go with Yellow Rose, Zenos, or even 667 rather than this.

2.73/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a murky, rusty orange with barely any head. Aroma is mostly citrus hops, but it's pretty muted, overall. I also get a little bit of toasty malts in the nose. Flavor is VERY malty with a lot of citrus from the hops. I can't get over the candy sweetness on this one. Malt is pretty one dimensional, and doesn't offer up much. Bitterness could be stronger. Aspirin in the finish. Mouthfeel needs more carbonation to combat the stickiness in the mouth. This beer has some good things going on, but it has far too many flaws going against it. This is no Yellow Rose. Drainpouring a good bit of this half growler.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston, TX

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow/orange color. A minimal white head tries to rise, but fizzles out in less than a finger. Light lace is left behind.
S: Pine resin, a light citrus aroma. Then buttery, diacetyl aroma takes over in the middle. Finishes with a medicinal, chemical like aroma. Maybe nail polish remover? Then a lingering grapefruit bitterness.
T: Follows the nose with a light, and week hop presents up front. Some pine notes, lightly resinous and citrus flavors. Though plenty of off flavors as well. Buttery diacetyl, medicinal, powdery, and astringent like. Some fusel like alcohol as well. Then a lingering grapefruit bitterness lasts forever.
M/D: A medium body with moderate carbonation. Lightly resinous, soapy, and powdery. To much diacetyl, alcohol, and general off flavors here for me to want to come back for more. Not to mention the lingering bitterness I am not fond of.

Not something I really enjoyed. I can't say I will come back to this anytime soon, and nothing I would recommend.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

Filled a growler at Whole Foods in Houston Friday night (extremely reasonable at $9 for 64 oz) and took it home for the weekend. Only lasted through Saturday lunch because this beer is spectacular! Full bodied IPA, perfectly balanced malt/hops (nice hop aroma but not terribly bitter). Wonderful caramel notes. Nice head and cling. I have had several of Lone Pint's beers and liked all of them but this is by far my favorite. I will go back this afternoon and hope they have more. This is one of the best American double IPA's I have had the pleasure of drinking so far. I am very puzzled by the previous review; maybe I am drinking a much better batch...

The Jabberwocky from The Lone Pint Brewery