Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow Rose
No picture uploaded.

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until is was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.

(Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013)
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1L growler poured into a HF wine glass. Served at 42F.Major thanks to porter0209. Mike indicates the growler was filled six days ago.

A: Yellow-gold translucent body topped by a thick white 1" head tdhat recovers nicely with gentle swirling. Highly carbonated with fine effervescent bubbles in the body that rise over and over through the head. Thick lacing coats the glass as I drainthos beer.

S: Massive citrus and grapefruit nose. Tropical fruits abound with subtle floal notes fading into the background. I know this is Mosaic single hop, but its Simcoe geneology shines through as well. Fine biscuity malt backbone is present, but not dominating...that's left for the hops. High carbonation ensures hat the nose is refreshed over and over.

T: Consisent with the nose, hop forward juiciness crushes the palate on this beer. Piney and resinous without being overly dank, this is a full on hop monster. Tropical and refreshing, this is more like the east coast (think Vermont) single IPA than a west coast style. Malt is not lost in the background, leaving a nicely balanced finish.

F: Slightly oily, this coats the palate, but finishes surprisngly clean for the amount of juicy pine flavor. Hints of soft bitterness linger but they are pleasant and not overpowering. The light balance of the malt keeps a medium mouthfeel. As noted above, carbonation is high, but that could be related to the draught line used to fill the growler.

O: Highly enjoyble and surely one of the best Texas IPAs I've had the good fortune to taste. This stacks up well against some of the very best out there. I'd love to try it bottled (or canned) with the carbonation dialed in for consistency. If you have the chance, give The Yellow Rose a whirl.

F2brewers, Oct 02, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a light golden/straw color. Nice white head, thick and creamy.

Smell is huge grapefruit and citrus. In one word. Amazing. Very enticing.

Taste is very light and crisp at first with a huge grapefruit flavor. Mellows from an almost grapefruit juice taste to a nice, very crisp hop bitterness, which lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely light.

Lives up to the hype.

BigRedDog, Aug 26, 2014

Got it in a 32oz clear Growler and I was mesmerized by its color its like a livid Yellow almost looks from another planet great taste plenty of Citrus best brew I had from Texas so far

IvanJ126, Aug 19, 2014
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I've gotten to a point where I walk into a bar that has Yellow Rose and 50 other taps and ask for the Yellow Rose before even looking to see what else is available. After having YR for the first time, I started seeking out other Mosaic beers and while I think there are many that are quite delicious, at best I've found things that are "95% of yellow rose."

A: Color is pale yellow. Clear. Good lacing.

S: The nose has a lot of tropical fruit and a sweetness that the Mosaic brings.

T: The taste is phenomenal. There's grapefruit. A hint of pineapple, but not too much to make it cloying. It's really best described as "pure mosaic" since that's what it is. This takes the essence of a pretty awesome hop and distills it into a sessionable, delicious drink.

M: Crisp, a little sweet. Not as dry as could be expected considering the format. Quite good.

O: What I said above is true. Yellow Rose is my session beer, it's my "perusing the rest of the menu" beer, and it's the beer I want most when I go out. If Lone Pint ever bottles, it'll be my fridge beer as well.

Update: After being away from Yellow Rose for a full month now, I've had growlers shipped to me and can again drink it. No matter how much ticking I do, searching for that perfect beer, I keep coming back to YR. If this isn't my ideal beer, then I doubt I'll ever find it. If any beer can be rated a 5/5, then for me, this is it.

nathanmiller, Oct 23, 2013

As part of a trade I recived a HF growler fill of this, the tag said Lone Pint - Yellow Rose Single hopped Mosaic IPA so I'm guessing this is the correct place for the review.

A: Pale straw colored pour with a moderate amount of puffy white foam (even from a shipped growler). Very little haze with a lacing that shows you each sip (always my favorite).

S: Huge juicy citrus, tropical, pine aroma. strawberry, blueberry, melons mixed with kiwi and sweet orange. So aromatic I wanted to use it as an air freshener. A hint of bready malt character peeks through, but not much more.

T: The first sip is exactly like the aroma. Juicy, tropical and sublte pine with a moderate bitterness that cuts the sweetness. There is a sweetness that comes through but It seems to be coming from the flavor of the HBC 369. No alcohol, and the bready, doughy malt comes through more when your pallet adjusts to the texas sized flavor of the hops.

M: Zero astringancy, just clean and crisp. moderate body which compliments the hops nicey, if this was a dry finish (ala West Coast) I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. Carbonation held up well on the trip from TX to WI.

O: Lone Pint says Yellow Rose is slang for Texas heroine, I don't know much about that, but after sharing this will a pretty girl... I wanted to drive the 1000+ miles to get a refil. There are some great beers coming from Texas and this hit my palet preferences to a T.

guityler83, Jun 06, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston.

A: Pours a clear yellow/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and patchy lace is left behind.
S: Big hops up front. Juicy and tropical fruity aromas. Peach, mango, pineapple. Resinous pine and citrus aromas. Not a lot of malt balance, but enough hop character to make up for that. Not just bitterness.
T: Follows the nose with a tropical juicy flavor. Mango and pineapple are strong. A resinous, piny, citrus, and grapefruit bitterness lingers on a bit to much for me. A small hit, and still very enjoyable. Again, not much balance with the malts, but the hops have lots of character.
M/D: A medium body with moderate carbonation. Crisp, and dry as a bone. Easy and enjoyable to drink. I have had several since this started popping up around Houston.

A big hop bomb, but one with lots of character. Which are the IPA's I like. Without a doubt the best thing Lone Pint has done so far. Recommended.

champ103, Apr 30, 2013

AndrewSmith, Yesterday at 07:58 PM

Techichi, Yesterday at 01:16 PM

Keeper642, Yesterday at 08:58 AM
4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours such a beautiful color. One of the best IPA's with nice citrus hints.

Hoopdreama, Yesterday at 03:27 AM