Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.
to view more.
Ratings: 822 | Reviews: 122
Reviews by mothman:

I've gotten to a point where I walk into a bar that has Yellow Rose and 50 other taps and ask for the Yellow Rose before even looking to see what else is available. After having YR for the first time, I started seeking out other Mosaic beers and while I think there are many that are quite delicious, at best I've found things that are "95% of yellow rose."

A: Color is pale yellow. Clear. Good lacing.

S: The nose has a lot of tropical fruit and a sweetness that the Mosaic brings.

T: The taste is phenomenal. There's grapefruit. A hint of pineapple, but not too much to make it cloying. It's really best described as "pure mosaic" since that's what it is. This takes the essence of a pretty awesome hop and distills it into a sessionable, delicious drink.

M: Crisp, a little sweet. Not as dry as could be expected considering the format. Quite good.

O: What I said above is true. Yellow Rose is my session beer, it's my "perusing the rest of the menu" beer, and it's the beer I want most when I go out. If Lone Pint ever bottles, it'll be my fridge beer as well.

Update: After being away from Yellow Rose for a full month now, I've had growlers shipped to me and can again drink it. No matter how much ticking I do, searching for that perfect beer, I keep coming back to YR. If this isn't my ideal beer, then I doubt I'll ever find it. If any beer can be rated a 5/5, then for me, this is it.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle dated 10/22/14

I'm gonna keep this brief. This is an incredible IPA brewed the way I like IPAs. The hop presence is fruity and juicy. Tropical fruit flavors and citrus dominate. Grapefruit pith on the back end but not too bitter. Light yet slightly sweet malt presence. Easy to drink yet powerful. Carbonation is on the lighter side but works well. This beer reminds me of zombie dust but is softer and more complex. Outstanding and one of the best beers I've had this year.

I love you Texas!
Pours a brilliant clear golden/yellow with a ton of carbonation upon the first pour.
The smell is reminescent of a fruit salad; oranges, pineapples, blueberries, with a slight alcohol presence on the backend.
The taste follows with a fresh hit of hops, followed by a crispy, carbonated body that fizzles out over time but zero alcohol noticeability.
This beer is great. Texas is becoming a hot bed of great, sought after brews.
There is certainly something in the water; I just hope it doesn't come from Barton Sprangs! *Though that may be the secret ingredient)
5/5

4.51/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1L growler poured into a HF wine glass. Served at 42F.Major thanks to porter0209. Mike indicates the growler was filled six days ago.

A: Yellow-gold translucent body topped by a thick white 1" head tdhat recovers nicely with gentle swirling. Highly carbonated with fine effervescent bubbles in the body that rise over and over through the head. Thick lacing coats the glass as I drainthos beer.

S: Massive citrus and grapefruit nose. Tropical fruits abound with subtle floal notes fading into the background. I know this is Mosaic single hop, but its Simcoe geneology shines through as well. Fine biscuity malt backbone is present, but not dominating...that's left for the hops. High carbonation ensures hat the nose is refreshed over and over.

T: Consisent with the nose, hop forward juiciness crushes the palate on this beer. Piney and resinous without being overly dank, this is a full on hop monster. Tropical and refreshing, this is more like the east coast (think Vermont) single IPA than a west coast style. Malt is not lost in the background, leaving a nicely balanced finish.

F: Slightly oily, this coats the palate, but finishes surprisngly clean for the amount of juicy pine flavor. Hints of soft bitterness linger but they are pleasant and not overpowering. The light balance of the malt keeps a medium mouthfeel. As noted above, carbonation is high, but that could be related to the draught line used to fill the growler.

O: Highly enjoyble and surely one of the best Texas IPAs I've had the good fortune to taste. This stacks up well against some of the very best out there. I'd love to try it bottled (or canned) with the carbonation dialed in for consistency. If you have the chance, give The Yellow Rose a whirl.

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

25oz bottle poured into a tall-stemmed Hill Farmstead tulip

L: Now this is what I want my IPAs to look like, the color of honey & tangerines, with a ginormous white head and lots and lots of sticky lacing. I'll assume this is unfiltered because it's murky as hell, can't wait to dive in.

S: Bright, juicy pineapple, hint of honey sweetness, not a huge nose but very clean.

T: Yahtzee! Sweet stone fruit balanced impeccably by toasted grains and bitter grapefruit hops. The transition from sweet to bitter is so well-executed, and the finish lingers 'til *smack* it's gone.

M: Just damned near perfect. Slightly heavier body in the form of a nice syrupy texture until an avalanche of tight carbonation clears the path for the hops to crush your tongue.

O: Frickin' great, end of story. Normally hate hoppy beer in bomber format, but I could drink gallons of this stuff. Top notch, well worth its world-class rating. Get you some.

This beer has one of the most insane noses for an IPA.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a light golden/straw color. Nice white head, thick and creamy.

Smell is huge grapefruit and citrus. In one word. Amazing. Very enticing.

Taste is very light and crisp at first with a huge grapefruit flavor. Mellows from an almost grapefruit juice taste to a nice, very crisp hop bitterness, which lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely light.

Lives up to the hype.

4.18/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston.

A: Pours a clear yellow/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and patchy lace is left behind.
S: Big hops up front. Juicy and tropical fruity aromas. Peach, mango, pineapple. Resinous pine and citrus aromas. Not a lot of malt balance, but enough hop character to make up for that. Not just bitterness.
T: Follows the nose with a tropical juicy flavor. Mango and pineapple are strong. A resinous, piny, citrus, and grapefruit bitterness lingers on a bit to much for me. A small hit, and still very enjoyable. Again, not much balance with the malts, but the hops have lots of character.
M/D: A medium body with moderate carbonation. Crisp, and dry as a bone. Easy and enjoyable to drink. I have had several since this started popping up around Houston.

A big hop bomb, but one with lots of character. Which are the IPA's I like. Without a doubt the best thing Lone Pint has done so far. Recommended.

4.34/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy dark straw with lasting lace and cap of off white foam.

A medium strength aroma, full of lemon zest, mango, neutral sweet, hints of tart yeast, and even lighter hints of pine and herbal bitter.

All the flavors of the aroma are here, balanced perfectly, with additional notes of mango, pear, pineapple, floral, and other fruity notes that appear as the beer warms. Just delicious beer.

Low carb, medium viscosity, excellent finish, clean flavor profile, excellent frame for a delicious flavor profile.

Great beer, highly recommended, if you see this one grab it, you won't be disappointed!

Got it in a 32oz clear Growler and I was mesmerized by its color its like a livid Yellow almost looks from another planet great taste plenty of Citrus best brew I had from Texas so far

As part of a trade I recived a HF growler fill of this, the tag said Lone Pint - Yellow Rose Single hopped Mosaic IPA so I'm guessing this is the correct place for the review.

A: Pale straw colored pour with a moderate amount of puffy white foam (even from a shipped growler). Very little haze with a lacing that shows you each sip (always my favorite).

S: Huge juicy citrus, tropical, pine aroma. strawberry, blueberry, melons mixed with kiwi and sweet orange. So aromatic I wanted to use it as an air freshener. A hint of bready malt character peeks through, but not much more.

T: The first sip is exactly like the aroma. Juicy, tropical and sublte pine with a moderate bitterness that cuts the sweetness. There is a sweetness that comes through but It seems to be coming from the flavor of the HBC 369. No alcohol, and the bready, doughy malt comes through more when your pallet adjusts to the texas sized flavor of the hops.

M: Zero astringancy, just clean and crisp. moderate body which compliments the hops nicey, if this was a dry finish (ala West Coast) I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. Carbonation held up well on the trip from TX to WI.

O: Lone Pint says Yellow Rose is slang for Texas heroine, I don't know much about that, but after sharing this will a pretty girl... I wanted to drive the 1000+ miles to get a refil. There are some great beers coming from Texas and this hit my palet preferences to a T.

It's got a great golden hay color.

Huge sweet grapefruit, big peach, orange peel, and a slight basil flower on the nose.

Big burst of mosaic hops up front, but submits to the malt on the finish. It finishes dry, but it's not bitter like most IPA's.

I love the big, bold, massive IPA's and DIPA's, but this is probably one of the most enjoyable IPA's I've ever had. I simply want to drink as much of it as possible.

Really a phenomenal beer all around. It's amazing this brewery that just started is making something superior. A tremendous achievement for Lone Pint. I hope they start entering this in the big competitions to bring it the awards it deserves.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I now order any beer who's description contains the words mosaic hops.

3.26/5  rDev -26.9%

Have had on draft and from bottle. Decent nose of citrus, earthiness and hops. Flavor just wasn't there for me compared to two hearted, hopslam, or heady which is the hype that comes associated with it. Light bitterness, lot of floral, and earthy to the taste. Nice to try once, but wouldn't spend money on again.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

My favorite beer that comes out of Houston. So glad it comes in bottles now. The smell is tremendous with light pine and strong blueberry and grapefruit. The taste follows the same way with a lingering bitterness at the end. Haven't gotten enough of this beer yet. Highly recommended.

4.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a really great IPA. Difficult to put into words. Complex, but not overpowering. Aptly named, it has delicious, bright bright floral notes to it. One of my favorite IPA's hands down.

3.5/5  rDev -21.5%

How this is rated so high is beyond me.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful looking beer of golden color, light trickles of carbonation and a pale white frothy head. Looks beautiful in an oversized snifter and shows no flaws. 5

Sticky pungent melon and something faintly citrus but succulent like mango, passionfruit or even papaya. It's just a juicy, thick fruit smell. Sweet but mellow maltiness and a floral aroma that adds some potency to this already robust nose. 4.5

All the fruitiness from the nose continues. Mango, honeydew passionfruit and papaya. A bit more piney spice here. Light caramel notes that add to the smoothie-like blend of fruitiness. 4.5

Juicy, sweet, creamy... Could be a smoothie or fruit juice if not for the semi-bitter, semi-dry finish. 4.5

This beer's legit. The fruitiness had lingered with me since I first had it a few days back and I've been desperate to find more. Glad I did. An excellent brew.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - A little hazy. Orange. Medium white head. Good retention.

Smell - Tropical fruit. Citrus. Kinda floral. Light maltiness.

Taste - Delicate hop flavor. Orange. Some lemon. Tastes like pilsner malt. Very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel - A little creamy. Soft carbonation. Medium body.

Overall - This is excellent, but not going to excite the hop heads out there. Very well crafted.

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, amazing smell and taste of pineapple.

2.53/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This tasted less of citrus, and grapefruit for me, and more like the juniper taste you get from gin. It sat unfinished as the three other guys at the table with me also did not care for it.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I love this beer. Beautiful white head. Incredible nose full of fresh hops. This ipa is first class

4.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer. Wish I could find it near Chicago.

4.56/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very tasty....but way overhyped...I traded Pseudo Sue to get this and should have just drank the P Sue....

4.79/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Super sticky white lace. Nose is floral, piney & dank. Great showcase of mosaic hops. Tastes like the love child of heady & dirtwolf. Super crushable. Typically not a fan of large format bottles as I have a hard time getting through but could do multiples of this.

to view more.