Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.
Reviews: 125 | Hads: 1,122

It's got a great golden hay color.

Huge sweet grapefruit, big peach, orange peel, and a slight basil flower on the nose.

Big burst of mosaic hops up front, but submits to the malt on the finish. It finishes dry, but it's not bitter like most IPA's.

I love the big, bold, massive IPA's and DIPA's, but this is probably one of the most enjoyable IPA's I've ever had. I simply want to drink as much of it as possible.

Really a phenomenal beer all around. It's amazing this brewery that just started is making something superior. A tremendous achievement for Lone Pint. I hope they start entering this in the big competitions to bring it the awards it deserves. (668 characters)

Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery
IPA
6.8% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a gorgeous yellow rose petal steeped tea. As the pint glass fills it starts showing some dark straw color, with a nice amount of haziness. A big billowy cloud white head that's made up of tightly packed small bubbles. Great retention, this beer looks awesome.

AROMA: As I'm pouring the aroma of this ipa is jumping out of the glass at me. Such a great nose, like Violet Beauregard laying on a bed of flower petals eating fresh cut pineapple. Very sweet, juicy and inviting. Not much of a malt presence as of yet.

TASTE: First sip, mind blown Kaboom! Fresh picked perfectly ripe fruits, juicy pineapple, succulent peaches, plump blueberries, some nice melon notes swirling around. Small amount of pine that brings along with it some very subtle bitterness. Biscuity, toast maltiness that really takes a back seat to the delicious hop flavors. No alcohol detected at all, scary easy to drink. I wish this came in super big gulp cups.

MOUTHFEEL: Light plus body with medium carbonation. Clean, crisp with a dry lingering finish.

OVERALL: As of right now, this is my favorite single IPA. It was amazing, every aspect hit for me. I could drink this all day every day big thanks to @grantotx for this bottle even though I'll be begging him for more now! If you can find this or trade for it, do it. I'm really trying to not throw 5's out as easy but this one is damn close.

RATING: 4.9/5 Zombie Heads! (1,482 characters)

One of few beers aptly named. Beautiful SMASH IPA. Tropical fruits on the nose paired with light, crackers pislne yeast. Taste is full blown tropical fruit. Mango, papaya, pineapple galore. Quite possibly the best beer in Texas and quite possibly be best IPA ever. (269 characters)

This SMSH is ridiculously balanced.

Sweet and floral nose off of a pale honey colored elixir that produced tight white bubbles that rapidly fall to a solid collar and a Laced cap.

Sweet pink grapefruit and deep pith with a floral bouquet of pine and ripe berries. The long finish is tart and bitter. So refreshing.

Very warming. Delicious. Perfect. (351 characters)

It is not often that I think a beer is perfect, but this is one of those times. I have nothing new to say that has not already been written by other reviews. Big citrus / grapefruit nose and flavor that is as drinkable as it comes. One can only hope that one day I will be able to pick this up in cans. (302 characters)

Description pinpointed the nail on the head.
Lone Pint, Yellow Rose = Karbach, Hopadillo's wife.
A 5 all the way around. Good ABV, damn good flavor, and amazing hops. This stuff is amazing. Did I say amazing, already? Specifically registered on here JUST to make this post. (279 characters)

I first found this on tap in Houston and was very disappointed. It was just ok. Fast forward a few months and I found it elsewhere and tried it again. There it was! There was the amazing IPA I had read about. Don't know if the other had faded or what. But since then I've found it several other times and now can purchase bottles and it hasn't let me down again. Great IPA! (373 characters)

Simply the best beer brewed in Texas in my opinion.

Quality and consistency are always there. The taste is always fantastic. It is a SMASH IPA.

Anytime I find this on tap I'm grabbing a pint. It is that good. Hangs with any of the top IPA's I've had from across the country. (276 characters)

I love you Texas!
Pours a brilliant clear golden/yellow with a ton of carbonation upon the first pour.
The smell is reminescent of a fruit salad; oranges, pineapples, blueberries, with a slight alcohol presence on the backend.
The taste follows with a fresh hit of hops, followed by a crispy, carbonated body that fizzles out over time but zero alcohol noticeability.
This beer is great. Texas is becoming a hot bed of great, sought after brews.
There is certainly something in the water; I just hope it doesn't come from Barton Sprangs! *Though that may be the secret ingredient)
5/5 (586 characters)

Could be my favorite IPA of all time and I have regular access to Pliny and other great IPAs. A must try for any beer lover. If you can find it that is:p (153 characters)

Got it in a 32oz clear Growler and I was mesmerized by its color its like a livid Yellow almost looks from another planet great taste plenty of Citrus best brew I had from Texas so far (185 characters)

This is absolutely my favorite current beer.

This beer is so simple, but at the same time the flavors are very complex.
The hops give it a characteristic of grapefruit combined with blueberry and pineapple. This is what makes this beer really intriguing to the pallet.

What makes this beer though, is the delicate balance of hops and malt.

Great job on this one. (366 characters)

I've gotten to a point where I walk into a bar that has Yellow Rose and 50 other taps and ask for the Yellow Rose before even looking to see what else is available. After having YR for the first time, I started seeking out other Mosaic beers and while I think there are many that are quite delicious, at best I've found things that are "95% of yellow rose."

A: Color is pale yellow. Clear. Good lacing.

S: The nose has a lot of tropical fruit and a sweetness that the Mosaic brings.

T: The taste is phenomenal. There's grapefruit. A hint of pineapple, but not too much to make it cloying. It's really best described as "pure mosaic" since that's what it is. This takes the essence of a pretty awesome hop and distills it into a sessionable, delicious drink.

M: Crisp, a little sweet. Not as dry as could be expected considering the format. Quite good.

O: What I said above is true. Yellow Rose is my session beer, it's my "perusing the rest of the menu" beer, and it's the beer I want most when I go out. If Lone Pint ever bottles, it'll be my fridge beer as well.

Update: After being away from Yellow Rose for a full month now, I've had growlers shipped to me and can again drink it. No matter how much ticking I do, searching for that perfect beer, I keep coming back to YR. If this isn't my ideal beer, then I doubt I'll ever find it. If any beer can be rated a 5/5, then for me, this is it. (1,402 characters)

I've had Pliney at the brewery, I've sampled Dorado and Pliney side by side at Toronado in SF been to Portland, been to Seattle, my friend from Boston sent me cans of Heady Topper this winter, we drank the Albuquerque IPAs last summer. Yellow Rose is right up there with all of the best hoppy American ales I've ever tried. Although I do believe this is the best IPA in Texas, this beer is not overrated just because it's from Texas. Because I live in Texas I can get it reasonably fresh which means the fresh hop aroma is there - citrus; grapefruit and orange. The appearance is cloudy golden, which is expected given the bottle conditioning and pilsner malt. The up-front taste is reflective of the aroma combined with a sweet, cleanly fermented, malt backbone that serves to balance the lingering hop finish. The carbonation is slightly high, which makes for a beer with extremely good head retention. Your last sip will have foam on top. Yes, this is indeed a world class beer. (985 characters)

This beer made me think differently about IPAs. Quite possibly the best beer I have ever had. I love the citrus bitter sweetness. Good malt back.. good head and lacing. If someone asked me there is one beer you could have till the end of time this would be it. (261 characters)

As part of a trade I recived a HF growler fill of this, the tag said Lone Pint - Yellow Rose Single hopped Mosaic IPA so I'm guessing this is the correct place for the review.

A: Pale straw colored pour with a moderate amount of puffy white foam (even from a shipped growler). Very little haze with a lacing that shows you each sip (always my favorite).

S: Huge juicy citrus, tropical, pine aroma. strawberry, blueberry, melons mixed with kiwi and sweet orange. So aromatic I wanted to use it as an air freshener. A hint of bready malt character peeks through, but not much more.

T: The first sip is exactly like the aroma. Juicy, tropical and sublte pine with a moderate bitterness that cuts the sweetness. There is a sweetness that comes through but It seems to be coming from the flavor of the HBC 369. No alcohol, and the bready, doughy malt comes through more when your pallet adjusts to the texas sized flavor of the hops.

M: Zero astringancy, just clean and crisp. moderate body which compliments the hops nicey, if this was a dry finish (ala West Coast) I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. Carbonation held up well on the trip from TX to WI.

O: Lone Pint says Yellow Rose is slang for Texas heroine, I don't know much about that, but after sharing this will a pretty girl... I wanted to drive the 1000+ miles to get a refil. There are some great beers coming from Texas and this hit my palet preferences to a T. (1,434 characters)

I was super excited to be able to try this SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) IPA. Heard good things about it from a few people and the brewers. Unfortunately, I'm drinking the last bit from my growler (about 5 days old, opened a couple of times) and it's a little bit flat. Fortunately, I have drank over a gallon of it fresh within the past week so my memory shouldn't be too shabby. I'll review what I'm drinking but add on to it with notes I took previously and pictures I took.

Poured into a pint glass, this beer is almost the embodiment of it's name: deep golden yellow, slight haze, and a tight 1/2 inch head (from before). The smell was exquisite, with notes of orange juice, papaya, mango, slight grapefruit. I seriously could've drank the smell.

Taste wise, the beer was phenomenal. Very floral, with grapefruit tastes, though the beginning notes are on the tropical side, which I loved. Very well balanced IPA. Mouthfeel, from what I remember, was quite light. Not too much bitterness that you had a resin-like tongue feel, but enough bitterness there to remind that this was a IPA that deserves another sip to refresh that lovely bitter flowery yet piney taste in the mouth.

Overall? The best IPA I have ever had. I have not yet had the pleasure to enjoy Pliny nor Heady Topper, but I have enjoyed Sculpin and Odell IPA and would always choose the Yellow Rose if given the chance. This beer demands to be drank fresh, and even on the flat side in a growler, it still holds its own against other IPAs. Though if you've tried it both fresh and flat, you'll notice it loses a lot of it's amazing aroma from the Mosaic hop and bit of the taste. If you growl it, drink within 12 hours. Please. You are doing yourself a disservice otherwise. If you live in Texas and want an IPA that is up and coming to be big player, visit Lone Pint for the Yellow Rose. You won't be disappointed. (1,892 characters)

Can you imagine being on vacation in Texas Houston area in search of sierra Nevada's new double IPA and run into a manager who likes Hoppy beers. what I want is not available in Houston although web sites says its in Texas but that's a big state. but he says I have one more bottle of Yellow Rose ale .. and the other store 5 miles away has 12 in stock and the hop stupid I was looking for. quickly found the Hop StOOPID . Sent a sales man looking for it. One rack had empty paces leading up to 3 last bottles of Yellow Rose were left. I took 2 to give me a total of 3. I have had 2 of them and wish I can a case. maybe next year.. (643 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

An absolutely brilliant IPA. Easily the Pliny of Texas. Crisp, refreshing, characteristic, and classy. Not the easiest to find outside of the Houston/Austin area but well worth the hunt.

NASA Liquors in Houston is normally a sure bet for being in stock but more importantly fresh! (284 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to @patrickredbeard and my other TX connects for these bottles. They all love it and love to share it. Super example of the style! I am lucky to have had this on a few occasions. (185 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a 32-ounce growler, filled the same day, pour into a standard pint glass.

I'm not going to waste much time with appearance and mouthfeel--it looks and feels fine.

More importantly, it smells and tastes awesome. The smell gives some of the pine/citrus associated with most IPAs, but those more common notes take a back seat. Instead, the nose is dominated by tropical fruit and almost something like rancid blueberry...but rancid in a very pleasant sense of the word.

The taste follows: tropical fruit and something vaguely berry-like. Yeah, there's some pine/citrus, but if that's what your into, there are a lof of IPAs and DIPAs that will go further toward satisfying. Likewise, if you want explosive IBUs and double digit ABV, this beer isn't for you.

Instead, this beer offers an exceedingly unique hop profile, in a very sessionable form. My understanding is that the only hops that go into it are whole cone Mosaic. I don't know of any other beers that give you nothing but Mosaic, which is an utter shame because this beer is awesome. I love the pure hop bombs as much as the next guy, but the hop profile on this IPA is so delicate and unique, it's alone on an island of deliciousness. This is the type of IPA that will delight IPA lovers because of it's uniqueness, but that even non-IPA lovers can get behind because it is not a palate wrecker.

If you can get your hands on it (it's not in bottles/cans), waste no time in doing so. (1,451 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

Great craft beer in my home state of Texas is hard to find. I have traveled the West Coast, the Pacific Northwest and Alaska for the past 15 years searching out great craft beer. In recent years more craft breweries have popped up and while some have gone and others simply are mediocre at best there are some keeping it simple and putting focus on the beer not the money they can make. lone Pint is one such brewery and they have made an IPA, Yellow Rose, that to me stands up there with the IPAs made in the places I mentioned before.

Yellow Rose is a bold hoppy IPA that smells of citrus, floral and and has a sweetness to it. Mosaic hops, something Texas craft brewers are just discovering) are what makes this IPA remind me of the West Coast IPAs I feel in love with a couple years ago. It has a nice citrus/floral taste to it and there is no doubt about the hops. You taste them! Like the smell there is a hint of sweetness but only slight.

If you can find this one try it! I fancy myself a Hop Head (or IPA Freak) and this is in my top three! (1,052 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours a lovely, wonderful, heavenly deep yellow. This beer just looks amazing. I don't know why, but it is a color that I just can't stop admiring.

S- It has some fruitiness to it. I primarily detect the citrus notes, like grapefruit.

T- Very balanced and drinkable. I could order multiple pints of this and not have my pallet wrecked. I'm sure it probably pairs well with food. The hops come out very nicely, as well as the alpha acids. Absolutely wonderful.

M- It is not dry, sticky or resiny...it's just very smooth and easy to drink. The carbonation is great.

O- This single hop IPA may be the best IPA in Texas. It is an absolutely fantastic showcase of the mosaic hop. The beer is very beautiful to look at and has some hauntingly beautiful flavors. I'm really starting to crave this beer and order it whenever I see it on tap. (841 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this on draft at Petrol Station in Houston as well as in a bottle share at DLD 2015. Both experiences were excellent. Evident why this is such a highly rated beer. (172 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a light golden/straw color. Nice white head, thick and creamy.

Smell is huge grapefruit and citrus. In one word. Amazing. Very enticing.

Taste is very light and crisp at first with a huge grapefruit flavor. Mellows from an almost grapefruit juice taste to a nice, very crisp hop bitterness, which lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely light.

Lives up to the hype. (381 characters)

Yellow Rose from The Lone Pint Brewery