Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.
Ratings: 988 | Reviews: 151

It's got a great golden hay color.

Huge sweet grapefruit, big peach, orange peel, and a slight basil flower on the nose.

Big burst of mosaic hops up front, but submits to the malt on the finish. It finishes dry, but it's not bitter like most IPA's.

I love the big, bold, massive IPA's and DIPA's, but this is probably one of the most enjoyable IPA's I've ever had. I simply want to drink as much of it as possible.

Really a phenomenal beer all around. It's amazing this brewery that just started is making something superior. A tremendous achievement for Lone Pint. I hope they start entering this in the big competitions to bring it the awards it deserves.

This SMSH is ridiculously balanced.

Sweet and floral nose off of a pale honey colored elixir that produced tight white bubbles that rapidly fall to a solid collar and a Laced cap.

Sweet pink grapefruit and deep pith with a floral bouquet of pine and ripe berries. The long finish is tart and bitter. So refreshing.

Very warming. Delicious. Perfect.

It is not often that I think a beer is perfect, but this is one of those times. I have nothing new to say that has not already been written by other reviews. Big citrus / grapefruit nose and flavor that is as drinkable as it comes. One can only hope that one day I will be able to pick this up in cans.

Description pinpointed the nail on the head.
Lone Pint, Yellow Rose = Karbach, Hopadillo's wife.
A 5 all the way around. Good ABV, damn good flavor, and amazing hops. This stuff is amazing. Did I say amazing, already? Specifically registered on here JUST to make this post.

Best IPA in TX.

I first found this on tap in Houston and was very disappointed. It was just ok. Fast forward a few months and I found it elsewhere and tried it again. There it was! There was the amazing IPA I had read about. Don't know if the other had faded or what. But since then I've found it several other times and now can purchase bottles and it hasn't let me down again. Great IPA!

Simply the best beer brewed in Texas in my opinion.

Quality and consistency are always there. The taste is always fantastic. It is a SMASH IPA.

Anytime I find this on tap I'm grabbing a pint. It is that good. Hangs with any of the top IPA's I've had from across the country.

I love you Texas!
Pours a brilliant clear golden/yellow with a ton of carbonation upon the first pour.
The smell is reminescent of a fruit salad; oranges, pineapples, blueberries, with a slight alcohol presence on the backend.
The taste follows with a fresh hit of hops, followed by a crispy, carbonated body that fizzles out over time but zero alcohol noticeability.
This beer is great. Texas is becoming a hot bed of great, sought after brews.
There is certainly something in the water; I just hope it doesn't come from Barton Sprangs! *Though that may be the secret ingredient)
5/5

Just a fantastic IPA. I've not found anything in an IPA that I like better. Delicious and refreshing.

Top of the Smash IPA heap

Best SMaSH IPA iv ever had. Proud that it comes from a local brewery and happy I can have it on tap with dinner all around town.

Could be my favorite IPA of all time and I have regular access to Pliny and other great IPAs. A must try for any beer lover. If you can find it that is:p

Got it in a 32oz clear Growler and I was mesmerized by its color its like a livid Yellow almost looks from another planet great taste plenty of Citrus best brew I had from Texas so far

This is absolutely my favorite current beer.

This beer is so simple, but at the same time the flavors are very complex.
The hops give it a characteristic of grapefruit combined with blueberry and pineapple. This is what makes this beer really intriguing to the pallet.

What makes this beer though, is the delicate balance of hops and malt.

Great job on this one.

I've gotten to a point where I walk into a bar that has Yellow Rose and 50 other taps and ask for the Yellow Rose before even looking to see what else is available. After having YR for the first time, I started seeking out other Mosaic beers and while I think there are many that are quite delicious, at best I've found things that are "95% of yellow rose."

A: Color is pale yellow. Clear. Good lacing.

S: The nose has a lot of tropical fruit and a sweetness that the Mosaic brings.

T: The taste is phenomenal. There's grapefruit. A hint of pineapple, but not too much to make it cloying. It's really best described as "pure mosaic" since that's what it is. This takes the essence of a pretty awesome hop and distills it into a sessionable, delicious drink.

M: Crisp, a little sweet. Not as dry as could be expected considering the format. Quite good.

O: What I said above is true. Yellow Rose is my session beer, it's my "perusing the rest of the menu" beer, and it's the beer I want most when I go out. If Lone Pint ever bottles, it'll be my fridge beer as well.

Update: After being away from Yellow Rose for a full month now, I've had growlers shipped to me and can again drink it. No matter how much ticking I do, searching for that perfect beer, I keep coming back to YR. If this isn't my ideal beer, then I doubt I'll ever find it. If any beer can be rated a 5/5, then for me, this is it.

I've had Pliney at the brewery, I've sampled Dorado and Pliney side by side at Toronado in SF been to Portland, been to Seattle, my friend from Boston sent me cans of Heady Topper this winter, we drank the Albuquerque IPAs last summer. Yellow Rose is right up there with all of the best hoppy American ales I've ever tried. Although I do believe this is the best IPA in Texas, this beer is not overrated just because it's from Texas. Because I live in Texas I can get it reasonably fresh which means the fresh hop aroma is there - citrus; grapefruit and orange. The appearance is cloudy golden, which is expected given the bottle conditioning and pilsner malt. The up-front taste is reflective of the aroma combined with a sweet, cleanly fermented, malt backbone that serves to balance the lingering hop finish. The carbonation is slightly high, which makes for a beer with extremely good head retention. Your last sip will have foam on top. Yes, this is indeed a world class beer.

This beer made me think differently about IPAs. Quite possibly the best beer I have ever had. I love the citrus bitter sweetness. Good malt back.. good head and lacing. If someone asked me there is one beer you could have till the end of time this would be it.

As part of a trade I recived a HF growler fill of this, the tag said Lone Pint - Yellow Rose Single hopped Mosaic IPA so I'm guessing this is the correct place for the review.

A: Pale straw colored pour with a moderate amount of puffy white foam (even from a shipped growler). Very little haze with a lacing that shows you each sip (always my favorite).

S: Huge juicy citrus, tropical, pine aroma. strawberry, blueberry, melons mixed with kiwi and sweet orange. So aromatic I wanted to use it as an air freshener. A hint of bready malt character peeks through, but not much more.

T: The first sip is exactly like the aroma. Juicy, tropical and sublte pine with a moderate bitterness that cuts the sweetness. There is a sweetness that comes through but It seems to be coming from the flavor of the HBC 369. No alcohol, and the bready, doughy malt comes through more when your pallet adjusts to the texas sized flavor of the hops.

M: Zero astringancy, just clean and crisp. moderate body which compliments the hops nicey, if this was a dry finish (ala West Coast) I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. Carbonation held up well on the trip from TX to WI.

O: Lone Pint says Yellow Rose is slang for Texas heroine, I don't know much about that, but after sharing this will a pretty girl... I wanted to drive the 1000+ miles to get a refil. There are some great beers coming from Texas and this hit my palet preferences to a T.

I was super excited to be able to try this SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) IPA. Heard good things about it from a few people and the brewers. Unfortunately, I'm drinking the last bit from my growler (about 5 days old, opened a couple of times) and it's a little bit flat. Fortunately, I have drank over a gallon of it fresh within the past week so my memory shouldn't be too shabby. I'll review what I'm drinking but add on to it with notes I took previously and pictures I took.

Poured into a pint glass, this beer is almost the embodiment of it's name: deep golden yellow, slight haze, and a tight 1/2 inch head (from before). The smell was exquisite, with notes of orange juice, papaya, mango, slight grapefruit. I seriously could've drank the smell.

Taste wise, the beer was phenomenal. Very floral, with grapefruit tastes, though the beginning notes are on the tropical side, which I loved. Very well balanced IPA. Mouthfeel, from what I remember, was quite light. Not too much bitterness that you had a resin-like tongue feel, but enough bitterness there to remind that this was a IPA that deserves another sip to refresh that lovely bitter flowery yet piney taste in the mouth.

Overall? The best IPA I have ever had. I have not yet had the pleasure to enjoy Pliny nor Heady Topper, but I have enjoyed Sculpin and Odell IPA and would always choose the Yellow Rose if given the chance. This beer demands to be drank fresh, and even on the flat side in a growler, it still holds its own against other IPAs. Though if you've tried it both fresh and flat, you'll notice it loses a lot of it's amazing aroma from the Mosaic hop and bit of the taste. If you growl it, drink within 12 hours. Please. You are doing yourself a disservice otherwise. If you live in Texas and want an IPA that is up and coming to be big player, visit Lone Pint for the Yellow Rose. You won't be disappointed.

This beer has one of the most insane noses for an IPA.

My favorite IPA. Not crazy bitter just good citrus flavor.

Very well balanced beer... delicious!

Can you imagine being on vacation in Texas Houston area in search of sierra Nevada's new double IPA and run into a manager who likes Hoppy beers. what I want is not available in Houston although web sites says its in Texas but that's a big state. but he says I have one more bottle of Yellow Rose ale .. and the other store 5 miles away has 12 in stock and the hop stupid I was looking for. quickly found the Hop StOOPID . Sent a sales man looking for it. One rack had empty paces leading up to 3 last bottles of Yellow Rose were left. I took 2 to give me a total of 3. I have had 2 of them and wish I can a case. maybe next year..

Amazing. My go to local ipa is one of the best out there. Try this if you can

4.94/5  rDev +11%

An absolutely brilliant IPA. Easily the Pliny of Texas. Crisp, refreshing, characteristic, and classy. Not the easiest to find outside of the Houston/Austin area but well worth the hunt.

NASA Liquors in Houston is normally a sure bet for being in stock but more importantly fresh!

Yellow Rose from The Lone Pint Brewery