Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.
Reviews: 126 | Hads: 1,125
2.53/5  rDev -43%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This tasted less of citrus, and grapefruit for me, and more like the juniper taste you get from gin. It sat unfinished as the three other guys at the table with me also did not care for it. (190 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -31.3%

Most overrated beer in the top 250. Don't understand why people all seek this out. Nose is grass and grain. hop bitterness and juiciness is lower than your average pale ale from any old brewery. finish is average. There just isn't really anything going on here. Maybe I got an old bottle shipped to me? (308 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -27%

Maybe I had a bad bottle, or maybe it was an old bottle - I couldn't read the date - but I don't get the hype for this beer at all. The appearance was a dirty, milky, cloudy orange, which looked somewhat unpleasant. At least there were no floaties. Maybe I just don't like mosaic hops; that could be it. (306 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -26.6%

Have had on draft and from bottle. Decent nose of citrus, earthiness and hops. Flavor just wasn't there for me compared to two hearted, hopslam, or heady which is the hype that comes associated with it. Light bitterness, lot of floral, and earthy to the taste. Nice to try once, but wouldn't spend money on again. (317 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Was really excited about trying this one. Extremely disappointed. Lots of medicine taste to me. Almost like a cough drop. Not sure if I got a bad batch or what. Would be willing to try again but not a fan, (205 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750, light yellow. Slightly hoppy, low bitterness. Lotus of greens, Grassy, weedy, underbrush. Under-hopped for the amount of malt in my opinion. Like it was an IPA hopped in APA territory. Not seeing what the fuss is about. (224 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bottle at Whole foods and was disappointed to find it had skunked.
The everlasting memory will be the assorted fagbutt ashtray finish.
I might give it another go once I get the taste of peat out of my mouth...
Shame (227 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Huge want, high expectations

Paired with the warriors championship game one. Taste follows how the warriors are playing right now, mediocre.

Not really sure what the hype is all about this beer is average at best

Overall gets some plus points as the packaging and design is pretty nice, dunno if I like my IPAs in 750s tho

Thanks to wtc11 for the chance! Really appreciate your generosity!

Go warriors! (407 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bit of a turd. The only reason this gets hype is because it's a decent IPA in a region not known for them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There's not too much reason to venture outside of New England for hoppy stuff these days. (235 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a small cap and collar with big sheets of lacing down the glass. A hazy gold with some bright yellows when held to direct light. Pours with a moderate carbonation.

Smell: Sweet fruit. Loaded with pineapple, grapefruit, and peach. Tropical and then some. Mosaic and then some. Malts are more than a balance to the aggressive hop schedule. Pushes a bunch of bread crust and a mildly toasted malt coupled with some mild caramelized sweetness. A touch of pear and some mild floral elements. Some other fruit creeps in and it's some kind of berry. A touch of tart tannic fruit skin as well. Some powdery yeast.

Taste: A touch of bitter flower petal thrown in the mix. A touch woody as well. Tropical fruit is in abundance. Mango, loads of pineapple, peach, lemon and lime. Deeply fruity. Malt backbone is deeply bready with some solid toasted notes. Pushes bread and undercooked biscuit. Powdery yeast adds another element. A touch of aspirin and bitter wood. Some floral elements as well. Mildly herbal with some solid earth undertones - almost dirty. Lingering bitterness . Slight sweetness - a touch of caramelization.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Juicy initial sip gives way to a mostly clean finish. Runs a bit lighter as it warms, but it never falls apart.

Overall: Good thing I have 2 pints.

I'm not a huge mosaic fan most of the time, but this manages to balance it with a big malt presence. Not aggressive or big in any way. It's worth a try and easy to kill the 32oz growler. (1,564 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

Fortunately, this beer is readily available from my office in downtown Houston (Flying Saucer for those who are wondering). However, I've had very mixed reviews about it.

Last Friday (12/6/14): Amazing. The nose? Indescribable, fruity, unique, awesome. It was smooth going down and just an all-around great beer. Give me a 6-er and I'll love you forever. I would rate it a 4.75+, or 5! It was that good.

Today (12/12/14): I'm thinking maybe not too many people know about this watering hole... I felt like it was a stale keg and maybe even leftovers from the week before. The nose? I could still smell the fruitiness and hops from two feet away. But, unfortunately, the taste was flat out skunk. Not great at all. It was unfortunate as I settled for another local microbrew for my second serving (DIPA). Not sure what happened from last week to now but the consistency just wasn't there. Does this stuff lack the shelf life?

I hope to try it again with better results. (972 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't understand the hype behind this one. It is a solid ipa, especially for a single hop single malt offering, but just didn't hold up to the vermont hops consumed later that night. Yellow rose poured very pale in color with a pure white, bubbly head. The smell was very clean, citrusy, melon, and a strong herbal note, thyme maybe? The taste was much the same, begging for more body, biscuity malts, somenice fruity, tropical hop aromas, and again, finishes very herbal in a way I just can't put my finger on. Mouthfeel was crisp but lingers dry and herbal on the palate for quite a while. Really needs a more substantial malt backbone. There is nothing wrong with yellow rose, it's a solid ipa, but I think there is some truth to the beer being so hyped solely for being a decent beer from a region not known for them. (830 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Interesting beer, I love that it's a SMaSH. The mosaic do give a very mixed fruity flavor profile, but there's little in the way of sharp bitterness. It's quite smooth, yet flavorfully hopped. The malt backbone is solid and gives this beer an overall balance not usually found in IPAs.

Body is medium with a slightly slick finish and fruity afternotes. Certainly worth a try. (382 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing the Yellow Rose, a single hop (Mosaic) IPA from The Lone Pint Brewery, out of Magnolia, Texas.

Score: 85

Unconfirmed bottling date, but presumed fresh (less than a month old) based on the representations of the trader. Served in a Hopslam snifter and enjoyed on 02/11/15.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, murky orange color with two fingers of seafoam head that settle to clusters of clumps atop the glass. Very good lacing and retention. 4.5/5

Smell: Grapefruit, melon, and berry. A touch of grassy/earthy tones too. Lovely, fruity mix without a bitter-apparent nose. 4.25/5

Taste: Grapefruit flavor, bready malt and a little fruitiness upfront with spicy, earthy tones on the finish and a hint of onion that lingers long past the finish on the very back of the palate. Very mild bitterness. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, appropriately carbonated (on the higher end for an IPA, though). Has a mild bitter bite upfront palliated by a maltiness that quickly counterbalances. Has a foamy mouthfeel as it sits on the tongue. 4/5

Overall: A solid, but unspectacular IPA offering (though Mosaic is admittedly not my hop of choice). Definitely worth a pint, but not a must-seek brew for my preferences.

Cost: $10 for a 750 ml bottle. (1,247 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is a nice IPA, but single hop mosiac hoppy beers are just not my thing. Mild bitterness. Pretty drinkable IPA that has a nice mouthfeel. I also feel that the hype train might have some influence here on scores. (216 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -13.1%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and green unbranded pry-off cap bought in Austin, TX and served cold into a pilsner glass. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

Expectations are high; this is #125 in the Top 250 and #6 in the Southwest region. 6.8% ABV. OG: 1.063. FG: 1.012. 62 IBUs.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Two fingers wide. Off-white colour. Nice frothiness, thickness, and creaminess, with a good even soft-looking consistency. There's a sheen to the complexion. Retention is good - about 9 minutes. A light uneven layer of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Surprisingly hazy, and clearly unfiltered. It's a pale copper with orange hues. Vibrance is average. A bit of yeasty sediment is visible towards the bottom of the glass.

Appears aptly carbonated. It's a good looking unfiltered IPA, and seems more alive than most offerings in the style. But it's not a unique appearance.

AROMA: Blueberry, subtle pineapple, zesty citrus (especially on the back end), clean pale malt, clean fresh barley, and mild touches of mango and tangerine. I usually despise pineapple in beer (especially IPAs), but this is handled subtly enough (at least in the aroma), that it doesn't bother me. The blueberry note is an unexpected treat, and has me salivating. It's dank and resinous, with a fragrant and above all else pleasant aromatic expression.

Mild in strength overall. No yeast, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE: Blueberry is there, but gets tangled up in a weird tropical pineapple bitterness & overripe zest that I don't like. Pineapple in beer always makes the taste more boozy, and this is no exception - even at its scant 6.80% I can detect the alcohol. The subtle herbal and resinous hop aromatics don't manifest in the flavour profile, to its detriment. I'm not finding the grapefruit promised by the label, but I do get an indistinct citrusy character - from the tangerine? There's a hint of lime in the third act, which is odd here. Some fairly insipid peach. A kiss of pith.

The pale malt foundation is lovely, lending it a clean crisp taste that tames the hops. Still, it ventures too far onto the bitter side, leaving it imbalanced. I really crave more of the blueberry, but it's ultimately quite reticent, and frankly more prominent in the aroma than in the taste. Too bad. Honey and bready malts fill out the body.

With only one hop utilized, it's unsurprising that this is a bit lacking in terms of intricacy; it's far from one-note, but it's not the complex multidimensional brew that you hope for. I'd like some resins, hop oils...maybe even some pine.

Nice depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, aptly medium-bodied, and aptly thick. It does suffer from overcarbonation, lending it unwelcome sharpness. Could be softer and more approachable; Overall well executed. This texture doesn't elevate the beer, but it complements the taste nicely enough.

Overall presence on the palate is nice.

OVERALL: Boozier than it should be, restricting drinkability. But it's downable and I quite enjoy it. Why has it earned the acclaim it has? The taste doesn't live up to the aroma. At its high price, I wouldn't buy it again unless a trade partner really wanted it. Chalk it up to my personal disdain for pineapple in beer, but I don't consider this world-class by any means. The blueberry does make it unique - and that note is impressively subtle, but at the same time it's too closed-off. Worth trying, but don't expect an amazing brew. I love the blueberry, but hate the pineapple. Think about it - is blueberry mixed with pineapple really all that appealing just in general?

This is easily Texas' best IPA. But does that say that much?

Low B

***
02.12.15:
I revisited this in a second bottle (and, in all honesty, not a particularly fresh one), and I have to say I initially was incorrect. This is better than I first noticed; the creamy soft feel coupled with the unique yet subtle berry character is nothing short of fantastic. It tastes like a gestalt whole, and I find it obscenely drinkable. There's a rare marriage of texture to taste, and it sets this beer apart from most other IPAs.

As an aside (and at heavy risk of coming off pretentious): there are Japanese tourists in Europe who spend their whole trips gazing through the viewfinders of their cameras. The joke is that they never see the places they're in because they're too focused on capturing the experience of seeing them (ostensibly, I believe, so they can later show their friends and family the concomitant images). In the case of this beer specifically, I too may have been too busy looking through my viewfinder.

On a personal note, my generous thanks to friends Collins and Dennis for calling me on my bullshit. What a great brew. I find myself inhaling my glass. The BGCP might refer to intangibles. In this case, I must make mention of the ineffable.

High B+ (4,998 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

6-24-15 batch. I don't know if my palate is completely compromised by the juicy East Coast DIPAs I've been consuming as of late but I wasn't blown away by this. Granted, it's a single hop, single malt IPA which gets credit right away but I found an underlying mustiness present throughout. It has a more delicate floral sweetness than I was expecting from the mosaic hop, and there is no denying the malty, bready backbone. Didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. (470 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -10.8%

A very tasty IPA with a good malt backbone and some fine hops both on the nose and in the taste. This is the best SMaSH beer that I have had and reminds me of the Midwest style of good hops but a really solid malt backbone (223 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a delicate pale yellow with a robust white head that is sticky as hell. Aroma hits you initially with so much tropical fruits- pineapple, mango, papaya. Some dank qualities to this one, along with some citrus zest (orange maybe?). Taste is much the same, but maybe toned down a bit. The bitterness is is spot on though. It keeps it dry and refreshing. I would have loved for the flavors to be a little brighter and the body to be a touch lighter, but it's a small complaint. This is damn good. (506 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -9%

A very simple and very good IPA. The hop aroma is huge and flowery with notes of pine and blueberry. The only fault I can really find with this beer is that the malt character is a little to one-dimensional and the sweetness overtakes the hops a little to much. However, these are minor complaints, I think it is very soft, hugely flavorful and certainly very unique in the Texas beer market. I recommend this beer to anyone who likes IPAs. (444 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -9%

Aroma is wheaty, grainy, and very grapefruit forward.

Flavor is huge grapefruit pith, with a touch of citrus sour, and a bitter, moderately harsh finish. (155 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a lot darker than expected. Smell is strong with a floral aroma, not very strong on the hop smell. Taste and feel is very pleasant with a very dry finish. Notes of pineapple, fruits, and pine. This beer is a treat to say the least. I am honored to say that I have tried this beer. (286 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Bone white head, great retention and sticky lacing. Body is a light golden.

S- Aromas of melons, cantaloupes.

T- Follows the aroma. Short burst of floral flavor. Very easy drinking, although bitter on the tail end.

M- Carbonation sweeps away leaving a clean palate. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- May be one for drinkers newer to the style. Highly enjoyable. Thanks kojevergas! (376 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 32 oz growler.

Clear yellow color with slight orange hue. Two finger, marshmallow head that recedes to thin coating. Small amount of lacing.

Peach and crackers in the nose.

Taste is light and very clean malt. Big peach and pineapple dominate on the front end. First time tasting the mosaic hop. Mild pine bitterness and a bit of rind rounds out the sip. Dry at the end.

Smooth with moderate carbonation.

Listed here as an IPA but straddles the line of an APA. Lucky to have more delicious, session-ish beers around. Another new brewery in the Houston area doing good things. (593 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston.

A: Pours a clear yellow/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and patchy lace is left behind.
S: Big hops up front. Juicy and tropical fruity aromas. Peach, mango, pineapple. Resinous pine and citrus aromas. Not a lot of malt balance, but enough hop character to make up for that. Not just bitterness.
T: Follows the nose with a tropical juicy flavor. Mango and pineapple are strong. A resinous, piny, citrus, and grapefruit bitterness lingers on a bit to much for me. A small hit, and still very enjoyable. Again, not much balance with the malts, but the hops have lots of character.
M/D: A medium body with moderate carbonation. Crisp, and dry as a bone. Easy and enjoyable to drink. I have had several since this started popping up around Houston.

A big hop bomb, but one with lots of character. Which are the IPA's I like. Without a doubt the best thing Lone Pint has done so far. Recommended. (958 characters)

Yellow Rose from The Lone Pint Brewery