Follow our progress ...

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery
Texas, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.

Added by champ103 on 04-30-2013

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 195 | Ratings: 1,477
4.85/5  rDev +10%

Pours a light golden/straw color. Nice white head, thick and creamy.

Smell is huge grapefruit and citrus. In one word. Amazing. Very enticing.

Taste is very light and crisp at first with a huge grapefruit flavor. Mellows from an almost grapefruit juice taste to a nice, very crisp hop bitterness, which lingers on the finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely light.

Lives up to the hype.

I was super excited to be able to try this SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) IPA. Heard good things about it from a few people and the brewers. Unfortunately, I'm drinking the last bit from my growler (about 5 days old, opened a couple of times) and it's a little bit flat. Fortunately, I have drank over a gallon of it fresh within the past week so my memory shouldn't be too shabby. I'll review what I'm drinking but add on to it with notes I took previously and pictures I took.

Poured into a pint glass, this beer is almost the embodiment of it's name: deep golden yellow, slight haze, and a tight 1/2 inch head (from before). The smell was exquisite, with notes of orange juice, papaya, mango, slight grapefruit. I seriously could've drank the smell.

Taste wise, the beer was phenomenal. Very floral, with grapefruit tastes, though the beginning notes are on the tropical side, which I loved. Very well balanced IPA. Mouthfeel, from what I remember, was quite light. Not too much bitterness that you had a resin-like tongue feel, but enough bitterness there to remind that this was a IPA that deserves another sip to refresh that lovely bitter flowery yet piney taste in the mouth.

Overall? The best IPA I have ever had. I have not yet had the pleasure to enjoy Pliny nor Heady Topper, but I have enjoyed Sculpin and Odell IPA and would always choose the Yellow Rose if given the chance. This beer demands to be drank fresh, and even on the flat side in a growler, it still holds its own against other IPAs. Though if you've tried it both fresh and flat, you'll notice it loses a lot of it's amazing aroma from the Mosaic hop and bit of the taste. If you growl it, drink within 12 hours. Please. You are doing yourself a disservice otherwise. If you live in Texas and want an IPA that is up and coming to be big player, visit Lone Pint for the Yellow Rose. You won't be disappointed.

It's got a great golden hay color.

Huge sweet grapefruit, big peach, orange peel, and a slight basil flower on the nose.

Big burst of mosaic hops up front, but submits to the malt on the finish. It finishes dry, but it's not bitter like most IPA's.

I love the big, bold, massive IPA's and DIPA's, but this is probably one of the most enjoyable IPA's I've ever had. I simply want to drink as much of it as possible.

Really a phenomenal beer all around. It's amazing this brewery that just started is making something superior. A tremendous achievement for Lone Pint. I hope they start entering this in the big competitions to bring it the awards it deserves.

Got it in a 32oz clear Growler and I was mesmerized by its color its like a livid Yellow almost looks from another planet great taste plenty of Citrus best brew I had from Texas so far

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

Great craft beer in my home state of Texas is hard to find. I have traveled the West Coast, the Pacific Northwest and Alaska for the past 15 years searching out great craft beer. In recent years more craft breweries have popped up and while some have gone and others simply are mediocre at best there are some keeping it simple and putting focus on the beer not the money they can make. lone Pint is one such brewery and they have made an IPA, Yellow Rose, that to me stands up there with the IPAs made in the places I mentioned before.

Yellow Rose is a bold hoppy IPA that smells of citrus, floral and and has a sweetness to it. Mosaic hops, something Texas craft brewers are just discovering) are what makes this IPA remind me of the West Coast IPAs I feel in love with a couple years ago. It has a nice citrus/floral taste to it and there is no doubt about the hops. You taste them! Like the smell there is a hint of sweetness but only slight.

If you can find this one try it! I fancy myself a Hop Head (or IPA Freak) and this is in my top three!

One of few beers aptly named. Beautiful SMASH IPA. Tropical fruits on the nose paired with light, crackers pislne yeast. Taste is full blown tropical fruit. Mango, papaya, pineapple galore. Quite possibly the best beer in Texas and quite possibly be best IPA ever.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily the best IPA brewed in Texas. Nice aroma and a lot of tropical citrus in the flavor. Not overly bitter at all and drinks very smooth. I really wish they would sell this in 12oz bottles. I'm not always in the mood to drink a whole 750ml.

Simply the best beer brewed in Texas in my opinion.

Quality and consistency are always there. The taste is always fantastic. It is a SMASH IPA.

Anytime I find this on tap I'm grabbing a pint. It is that good. Hangs with any of the top IPA's I've had from across the country.

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Lnashsig for the growler.
Orange pour with a white head. The aroma and flavor are both dominated by hops. I get some wonderful grapefruit notes as well as a hint of pine. There is also some biscuit malt notes that keep the bitterness from being too high. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nice pale ale.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

A- Pours a lovely, wonderful, heavenly deep yellow. This beer just looks amazing. I don't know why, but it is a color that I just can't stop admiring.

S- It has some fruitiness to it. I primarily detect the citrus notes, like grapefruit.

T- Very balanced and drinkable. I could order multiple pints of this and not have my pallet wrecked. I'm sure it probably pairs well with food. The hops come out very nicely, as well as the alpha acids. Absolutely wonderful.

M- It is not dry, sticky or resiny...it's just very smooth and easy to drink. The carbonation is great.

O- This single hop IPA may be the best IPA in Texas. It is an absolutely fantastic showcase of the mosaic hop. The beer is very beautiful to look at and has some hauntingly beautiful flavors. I'm really starting to crave this beer and order it whenever I see it on tap.

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours a bright yellow with the requisite foamy white head. Good lacing around the glass. Powerful tropical fruit, grapefruit, tangerine aroma. I wanted to continue to smell this beer. So fruity and really a treat. The taste was nearly as good. Tangerine, grapefruit juice. Bright and citrusy. Minimal pine and resin. The body is a wee bit thin for these flavors. I'd bump the malt base up a bit. It's a great IPA and just a hair lower on my rankings than Anicca in terms of Mosaic single hop. Great beer.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got in a trade! Very excited to try this....love Texas beer!

Perfect clarity out of the growler into a tulip. Big sea foam white head on top of a straw gold body showing abundant carbonation. Excellent lacing as well!

The aroma is amazing. Herbal hops abound, with hints of sage, pineapple, and dough.

The taste is equally delicious, filled with notes of peaches (especially in the finish), sage, and a bready malt background flavor. The bitterness is very even, and not harsh at all. The beer is extremely well-balanced. I get only a glancing bitterness in the finish that lingers. Extremely smooth body, with a great amount of carbonation, and a soft texture.

It's an incredible beer for sure. I could drink this all the time, and if I lived close to the brewery, this might be a staple in my fridge.

I've gotten to a point where I walk into a bar that has Yellow Rose and 50 other taps and ask for the Yellow Rose before even looking to see what else is available. After having YR for the first time, I started seeking out other Mosaic beers and while I think there are many that are quite delicious, at best I've found things that are "95% of yellow rose."

A: Color is pale yellow. Clear. Good lacing.

S: The nose has a lot of tropical fruit and a sweetness that the Mosaic brings.

T: The taste is phenomenal. There's grapefruit. A hint of pineapple, but not too much to make it cloying. It's really best described as "pure mosaic" since that's what it is. This takes the essence of a pretty awesome hop and distills it into a sessionable, delicious drink.

M: Crisp, a little sweet. Not as dry as could be expected considering the format. Quite good.

O: What I said above is true. Yellow Rose is my session beer, it's my "perusing the rest of the menu" beer, and it's the beer I want most when I go out. If Lone Pint ever bottles, it'll be my fridge beer as well.

Update: After being away from Yellow Rose for a full month now, I've had growlers shipped to me and can again drink it. No matter how much ticking I do, searching for that perfect beer, I keep coming back to YR. If this isn't my ideal beer, then I doubt I'll ever find it. If any beer can be rated a 5/5, then for me, this is it.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a 32-ounce growler, filled the same day, pour into a standard pint glass.

I'm not going to waste much time with appearance and mouthfeel--it looks and feels fine.

More importantly, it smells and tastes awesome. The smell gives some of the pine/citrus associated with most IPAs, but those more common notes take a back seat. Instead, the nose is dominated by tropical fruit and almost something like rancid blueberry...but rancid in a very pleasant sense of the word.

The taste follows: tropical fruit and something vaguely berry-like. Yeah, there's some pine/citrus, but if that's what your into, there are a lof of IPAs and DIPAs that will go further toward satisfying. Likewise, if you want explosive IBUs and double digit ABV, this beer isn't for you.

Instead, this beer offers an exceedingly unique hop profile, in a very sessionable form. My understanding is that the only hops that go into it are whole cone Mosaic. I don't know of any other beers that give you nothing but Mosaic, which is an utter shame because this beer is awesome. I love the pure hop bombs as much as the next guy, but the hop profile on this IPA is so delicate and unique, it's alone on an island of deliciousness. This is the type of IPA that will delight IPA lovers because of it's uniqueness, but that even non-IPA lovers can get behind because it is not a palate wrecker.

If you can get your hands on it (it's not in bottles/cans), waste no time in doing so.

This is absolutely my favorite current beer.

This beer is so simple, but at the same time the flavors are very complex.
The hops give it a characteristic of grapefruit combined with blueberry and pineapple. This is what makes this beer really intriguing to the pallet.

What makes this beer though, is the delicate balance of hops and malt.

Great job on this one.

It is not often that I think a beer is perfect, but this is one of those times. I have nothing new to say that has not already been written by other reviews. Big citrus / grapefruit nose and flavor that is as drinkable as it comes. One can only hope that one day I will be able to pick this up in cans.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 32 oz growler.

Clear yellow color with slight orange hue. Two finger, marshmallow head that recedes to thin coating. Small amount of lacing.

Peach and crackers in the nose.

Taste is light and very clean malt. Big peach and pineapple dominate on the front end. First time tasting the mosaic hop. Mild pine bitterness and a bit of rind rounds out the sip. Dry at the end.

Smooth with moderate carbonation.

Listed here as an IPA but straddles the line of an APA. Lucky to have more delicious, session-ish beers around. Another new brewery in the Houston area doing good things.

As part of a trade I recived a HF growler fill of this, the tag said Lone Pint - Yellow Rose Single hopped Mosaic IPA so I'm guessing this is the correct place for the review.

A: Pale straw colored pour with a moderate amount of puffy white foam (even from a shipped growler). Very little haze with a lacing that shows you each sip (always my favorite).

S: Huge juicy citrus, tropical, pine aroma. strawberry, blueberry, melons mixed with kiwi and sweet orange. So aromatic I wanted to use it as an air freshener. A hint of bready malt character peeks through, but not much more.

T: The first sip is exactly like the aroma. Juicy, tropical and sublte pine with a moderate bitterness that cuts the sweetness. There is a sweetness that comes through but It seems to be coming from the flavor of the HBC 369. No alcohol, and the bready, doughy malt comes through more when your pallet adjusts to the texas sized flavor of the hops.

M: Zero astringancy, just clean and crisp. moderate body which compliments the hops nicey, if this was a dry finish (ala West Coast) I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. Carbonation held up well on the trip from TX to WI.

O: Lone Pint says Yellow Rose is slang for Texas heroine, I don't know much about that, but after sharing this will a pretty girl... I wanted to drive the 1000+ miles to get a refil. There are some great beers coming from Texas and this hit my palet preferences to a T.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear sunny yellow color with a bright white head. Tropical fruit aroma with juicy citrus notes, mango, light crackery malt. Tastes of tropical fruits and bright citrus. Citra definitely seems the culprit here. Light balancing maltiness, and a medium bitterness that finishes clean. Lighter In body, somewhat crisp, definitely refreshing and super easy drinking. Thanks to lndsy for suggesting I grab a growler! Delish!

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston.

A: Pours a clear yellow/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and patchy lace is left behind.
S: Big hops up front. Juicy and tropical fruity aromas. Peach, mango, pineapple. Resinous pine and citrus aromas. Not a lot of malt balance, but enough hop character to make up for that. Not just bitterness.
T: Follows the nose with a tropical juicy flavor. Mango and pineapple are strong. A resinous, piny, citrus, and grapefruit bitterness lingers on a bit to much for me. A small hit, and still very enjoyable. Again, not much balance with the malts, but the hops have lots of character.
M/D: A medium body with moderate carbonation. Crisp, and dry as a bone. Easy and enjoyable to drink. I have had several since this started popping up around Houston.

A big hop bomb, but one with lots of character. Which are the IPA's I like. Without a doubt the best thing Lone Pint has done so far. Recommended.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last