Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery

Yellow RoseYellow Rose

The Lone Pint Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.

(Beer added by: champ103 on 04-30-2013)
4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got this one in on a trade from what I hope to be a more frequent trading partner. I had read some about this one but I had to try it for myself as I have been burning through the big boys lately.

Appearance: Very light straw color. Maybe attribute this to the pilsner malts they use. It has a bit of haziness to it and a fluffy white head that lingers just about the entire drinking process.

Nose: Resinous, floral hops, I have not had a single hop mosaic before as far as I know but i will definitely seek this style out again. Very dank and earthy on the nose. It has some fruitiness going on as well, maybe some pineapple and mango.

Taste: This is where I drop it just a bit. It is a nice IPA, but it is a bit assertive, which is fine. Its not a huge bruiser and is well balanced. But I would like just a bit more in the malts to round it out a bit. Otherwise this is a nice beer. Very nice resinous dank, hop forward beer. Its got a lot of pine or spruce going on there. Maybe its a grapefruit rind flavor. Anyway there is a bitterness there. Which I do like in my IPA's.

Overall: Solid beer, I will drink this again and thanks to my friend in TX to get me this one with such care! I might be after him again to get some more of this beer to share with other IPA loving friends around here!

4.4/5  rDev -2%

4.76/5  rDev +6%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

I love this beer. Beautiful white head. Incredible nose full of fresh hops. This ipa is first class

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev -2%

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.55/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and green unbranded pry-off pressure cap purchased at an Austin, TX bottle shop and served cold into a pilsner glass. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

Expectations are high; this is currently #125 in the Top 250 and #6 in the Southwest region. 6.8% ABV. OG: 1.063. FG: 1.012. 62 IBUs.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Two fingers wide. Off-white colour. Nice frothiness, thickness, and creaminess, with a good even soft-looking consistency. There's a sheen to the complexion. Retention is good - about 9 minutes. A light uneven layer of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Surprisingly hazy, and clearly unfiltered. It's a pale copper with orange hues. Vibrance is average. A bit of yeasty sediment is visible towards the bottom of the glass.

Appears aptly carbonated. It's a good looking unfiltered IPA, and seems more alive than most offerings in the style. But it's not a unique appearance.

AROMA: Blueberry, subtle pineapple, zesty citrus (especially on the back end), clean pale malt, clean fresh barley, and mild touches of mango and tangerine. I usually despise pineapple in beer (especially IPAs), but this is handled subtly enough (at least in the aroma), that it doesn't bother me. The blueberry note is an unexpected treat, and has me salivating. It's dank and resinous, with a fragrant and above all else pleasant aromatic expression.

Mild in strength overall. No yeast, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE: Blueberry is in there, but gets tangled up in a weirdly tropical pineapple-y bitterness and overripe zest that I don't care for. Pineapple notes in beer always seem to make the taste more boozy, and this is no exception - even at its scant 6.80% I can detect the alcohol. The subtle herbal and resinous hop aromatics don't manifest in the flavour profile, to its detriment. I'm not finding the grapefruit promised by the label, but I do get an indistinct citrusy character - I guess from the tangerine? There's a hint of lime in the third act, which is odd here. Some fairly insipid peach. A kiss of pith.

The pale malt foundation is lovely, lending it a clean crisp taste that tames the hops slightly. Still, it ventures too far onto the bitter side for my tastes, which leaves it imbalanced. I really crave more of the blueberry, but it's ultimately quite reticent, and frankly more prominent in the aroma than in the taste. Too bad. A bit of honey malt and bready malt fills out the body a bit.

With only one hop utilized, it's unsurprising that this is a bit lacking in terms of intricacy; it's far from one-note, but it's not the complex multidimensional brew that you hope for. I'd like some resins, hop oils...maybe even some pine.

No yeast character comes through.

Nice depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, aptly medium-bodied, and aptly thick. It does suffer from an overcarbonation that lends it an unwelcome sharpness. It could be softer and more approachable, but overall it's well executed. This texture doesn't elevate the beer, but it complements the taste nicely enough.

Not oily, sticky, gushed, hot, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy. Overall presence on the palate is nice.

OVERALL: Boozier than it ought to be, which restricts drinkability. But it's very downable, and I'm quite enjoying it. I just don't see why it's earned the acclaim that it has; the taste fails to fulfill the promises of the aroma. At its high price, I wouldn't buy it again unless a trade partner really wanted it. Chalk it up to my personal disdain for pineapple in beer, but I don't consider this world-class by any means. The blueberry does make it unique - and that note is impressively subtle, but at the same time it's too closed-off. Worth trying, sure, but don't expect an amazing brew. I love the blueberry, but hate the pineapple. And think about it - is blueberry mixed with pineapple really all that appealing just in general?

Sure, this is probably currently Texas' best IPA. But that isn't saying all that much.

Low B

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Serving: 750 mL bottle poured into an IPA glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lush, billowing white head; dissipates gradually to a lasting cap and leaves thick lace.

Smell: Bright grapefruit and orange zest, pineapple, pine trees and hay.

Taste: Grapefruit and orange zest and juice atop lightly bready malt. Mildly bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: Immensely drinkable. Full hop flavor and aroma without being assertive; very well balanced.

Amazing. My go to local ipa is one of the best out there. Try this if you can

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%