Lily & Seamus - The Lone Pint Brewery

Beer added by: champ103 on 05-17-2013

Ratings: 30 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by GregSVT:
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at Southside Espresso served in a Lone Pint imperial pint glass. Hazy yellow with a medium rocky head. A nice hybrid of spicy, fruity wheat with citrus forward pale ale.

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Subsequent try's have been very disappointing. The use of kumquats was only the first release, as far as I know. Which shows. Basically all grapefruit bitterness that lingers forever. With a light husky, grainy wheat component in the background. Not enjoying what this became.

On tap at Downhouse in Houston. This is an interesting mix of American Pale Wheat Ale, with plenty of hops, and even local Texas Kumquats.

A: Pours a hazed golden/orange color. A minimal white head forms, and recede to nothing. Light lace though.
S: There are a lot of fruity aromas going on here. Lemon and orange rind, juicy passion fruits. Slightly tart, slightly hoppy. Light grainy biscuit, husky wheat aromas. The hops, fruit, and wheat all mingle perfectly here.
T: Follows the nose with a great intermingling of the hops and fruit additions. Tart, citrusy orange/lemon flavors. A bit lighter husky wheat. Excellent.
M/D: A medium body that is lower on the carbonation than I would like. Still, a nice dry tartness pulls in the checks. Very easy and enjoyable to drink. This would benefit from being a bit lower in alcohol.

A few nit picky things first. I wish there was more carbonation, and a bit less alcohol. Other than that, an excellent example of a Pale Wheat Ale. This is the exception to the crappy Pale Wheat Ale category. The Kumquats and hops add extra dimensions here, and they complement each other perfectly. Along the lines of Oberon. I will be drinking more of this when I see it.

4.71/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My wife and I have enjoyed this beer on several different occasions for its flavor, looks, and memories of wheat beers we enjoyed in Germany. I found the taste to be light and flavorful, with no bitterness or after taste. It complements most evening meal, but I also enjoy it as a beverage when just out in the pub or at home watching a sporting event.

The appearance of the beer in the glass is rich and light in color as I would expect. While not a clear beer in appearance, it has the color and consistency of wheat beers I have known and liked before. Its appearance is appealing and inviting.

I found the thought of kumquats being in the beer to be an interesting ingredient. While I don't know if I could pick out the kumquat flavoring - my taste buds are getting old - I do believe that at worst it added nothing. My guess is that the kumquats are a flavor enhancer. But that still needs to be confirmed with additional "testing" on my part. In time I will pick out the kumquats.

As for the serving type, it is limited to on tap in bars and growlers. I purchased the growler for the express purpose of having this beer in a home setting as an alternative to just the bar/pub. It would be good to have this beer in bottles to make purchasing easier. There are not a lot of bars that have growler licenses that carry this beer.

i have recommended this beer to others that want a different taste than the main stream national beers they have been drinking. Most people that try craft beers get their first taste with a hoppy beer like an IPA. Not understanding the hops and its flavoring, it has often turned people off. This beer has some hops (whole I believe), but does not overpower the taste buds and makes a good entry beer for the person trying to move towards craft beers.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. on-tap at the brewery in Magnolia, TX
(drank 2/7/15 during a Saturday tour date)

L: gold, just a hint of amber possibly, keeps a small collar of white foam ... the head wasn't huge, maybe 1/3-inch; no major sticking or lacing

S: grapefruit juice, onion (?) ... citrusy yet very sweet

T: green/grassy grapefruit juice ... almost tastes so sweet it's like grapefruit juice and orange juice mixed together; tart ... not sour but definitely a bit of lemon/dill tart; onion is there; the bitterness from those grassy hops (and grapefruit-tasting hops) is really smoothed out with some sweetness

F: a bit soft but that seems almost fitting for a wheat beer ... very drinkable, solid weight

O: wow! it's a fantastic spin on our stateside pale ales with some definite tartness but nothing overboard -- this is not a sour, but it's got a nice lemony tartness to it that mixes and plays so well with the grapefruit sweetness, onion and grassy notes. if this were in the 4.5% ABV range or lower, I'd drink gallons during the summer. at 6%, it's still very manageable (and you can't taste a drop of alcohol, so session it up anyway)

talking to one of the brewers, they say they may not make this beer again. sounds like it can turn into a lot of work. hopefully, they bring it back if they really plan to stop, because damn is it good. if nothing else, it serves as more proof that Lone Pint makes good stuff period. haven't had a bad one from them yet.

Lily & Seamus from The Lone Pint Brewery