Tornado Shark - The Lone Pint Brewery

Ratings: 42 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by StArnoldFan:
4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very carmelly which I'm sometimes in the mood for, but not always. Paired amazingly with nutty gouda & parmiganio-reggiano cheese called Parrano

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Little too much sweetness in my opinion. Need more hops to balance it out.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Hay Merchant and D&T Drive Inn, Houston.

A: Pours a copper/amber red color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind.
S: At first, hops are aggressive up front. Citrus, piny, grapefruit. Then toasted, almost burnt malt with a caramel malty sweetness. Lingering bitterness.
T: Follows the nose. Hop forward, with pine and grapefruit. Burnt toast and caramel malt sweetness for a bit of balance. Dark fruits of cherries and plums. Grapefruit bitterness lingers on. Lots going on here, and kind of messy.
M/D: A medium to full body. Moderate carbonation, though kind of muddled. I wish it was a bit cleaner. One pint is about enough for a sitting, but I have come back this a few different times.

I do enjoy this for what it is. Seems like a bit more balanced Arrogant Bastard. Though still something I can only drink once in a while. The hops are fairly aggressive like everything they do, burnt malt, and plenty of alcohol. I can see how some people might really love this. Just not entirely my style.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To be objective with this beer, I have to compare it to others of the same style. The beer poured a deep copper due with a thin white head. The nose was mostly hops and sweet sticky malt. The beer had the right amount of hops, however, I find with many American Strong Ales they usually leave my pallet blasted with too much bitter astringency. I can taste the bitterness long after I have finished the beer, and it is an astringency that is unpleasant. I have noticed the same thing with Arrogant Bastard. The mouthfeel was stickier than what I prefer. I think the style is just too strong for my pallet. I'll stick to their IPA's.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Creamy and smooth. Great Beer.

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

As far as American strong Ales go this provides a good balance. A lot of breweries today are blowing the flavor on these out of proportion but this one has a nice hop flavor on the front and the strong sweet, malt flavor on the back that I look for in Strong ales.

A pleasant suprise out of Magnolia, TX...

to view more.