Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 1,350

You guys are all posers. Don't you know there is a Budvar 10 and a Budvar 12, and furthermore the Budvar that earned the reputation is the 10? The 10 and 12 are like night and day. Go to the Czech Republic and have a Budvar 10 on draft. All we get in the states is the Budvar 12, which is nothing more than a glorified Becks, and all these geeks love to talk about the Budvar's superiority over A-B when they have never even had the Budvar that is the cause of the whole brewhaha. HA HA indeed! Get out of your mom's basement and travel!!! (539 characters)

I have had this beer over the years, I love Pilsner, real Czech or German pils. I lived in Germany for a time, and had good pils from time to time.

Finally I got to the Czech Republic and I would say, drink this beer in it's home country and you will fall in love.

Appearance: Fast forming Foam, when watching the Beer Tender, Really sexy lacing as you drink it. I mean, SEXY! with a Golden clear glass where you can observe its purity.

Smell:Fragrent, like freshly cut grass with lemon, I mean the real Pilsner hop arouma.

Taste: you can taste the bitter hops and the blend with the malt. The hops are spicy and herbal. It teases or stings your tounge.

Mouthfeel: it is light, refreshing and crisp. It leaves a smouth finish that invite another mouthful. It is so crisp that regular beer drinkers would love, and beer lovers can dig into. (844 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +36.5%

I had forgotten completely about this gem of a pilsener. A bit of back story: a good pal and I went to our nightly watering hole several years ago to find this beer in the "bargain bin." Basically they got beer specials from distributors, etc. So this beer was sold for $1 a bottle. Comrade and I, being young and nearly always broke, it was an offer too good to pass on. So, we ended up drinking the whole lot within a week, and then, the beer disappeared. We declared Czechvar "beer of the summer," and if you know us, then you know that that is quite an accomplishment for a beer. Now, to the beer. It is gold. Easy, quickly diminishing head. Consider it Budweiser on steroids. Richer, tastier, better. I don't recall the nose at all on this beer. But the flavour, mouthfeel, and drinkability are thekickers in this beer. Crisp, smooth and sweet, rich and round (for the style), a beer you could drink for years. Highly recommended, just grab one (if you can find it) and see for yourself.

(it must be noted, that, my review of this beer is a bit skewed given the sentimentality of my tastings. i haven't found this beer anywhere anytime since, and most likely, upon another tasting, would have different perspectives influencing my review.)_ (1,248 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +34.3%

I've reviewed and rereviewed this beer, but I've finally gotten it figured out, so I nuked the previous reviews and rest on this one, which is consistent with my experience over my last three cases (yea, cases - what?) of this beer. First, the review, then the secrets.

Deep gold, more than two or three fractions darker than most Czech pils. Bright white head, that never seems to stay around that long.

Nose is deep, soft, sweet crackery maltiness perfectly mixed with spicy slightly grassy Saaz. Tiniest touch of sulphur. So simple, yet so compelling. Utterly irresistable to this drinker.

Full side of medium in the mouth, with a slight sweetness leading the way. This quickly gives way to a rich, soft maltiness. The spicy hop flavor comes on in the mid-palate, seamlessly blending with the malt. Incredibly long finish that gently sees the hops move to the fore, and it is their bitterness that ultimately ends things. Sheer perfection.

Mouthfeel is so soft - the beer glides into every nook and cranny. I could easily accidently drown myself in this one, and all I'd have is a big stupid grin on my face. God beer when it's on.

So, here are the secrets: (1) only buy closed cases, or, if buying less than a case, from a closed case, as it gets light struck easily; (2) the cases, but not the six packs or bottles have a best before date - the beer is as described above during the last three months preceeding the best before date and about one month after - too early and it's a bit coarse, too late and the hops don't properly balance it; (3) only buy from retailers who care about their stock and have not kept it somewhere warm; and (4) don't buy it in the summer, unless you know your distributor and retailer keep things at the proper temperature as it heat damages easily. A PITA? Yep, but well worth the effort in my book, and much cheaper than a trip to the Czech Republic (no matter how lovely that would be . . .). (1,948 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite among the pilsners. I never tasted beer with such great nuance of hop flavor. I once compared it with other pilsner beers and Bud had much more golden dimly color than the other one. Overall 4.75/5 (209 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

Sight - golden with a white head

Smell - not much going one, some grass and citrus notes

Taste - gentle sweetness up front, but delicately bitter aftertaste

Sweet - 2/5
Bitter - 1/5

A pleasantly refreshing beer which I have enjoyed many, many times - the joys of spending ten years living in the Czech Republic. Budvar is by far the best of the mass produced beers the Czech have to offer, and is up there with the best of the micro brewers as well. (453 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

This is a wonderful, full-bodied, malty Czech lager.

It's deep gold with a big, dense white head that slowly shrinks to a thin, lasting top and laves some decent lace.

The aroma is strong. It is mostly toasted bread, yeast, pine, honey, and flowers with a hint of lemon.

The taste is full-bodied with a lot of sweet malty grain and lightly toasted bread with a hint of honey. A prominent flowery, herbal hop bitterness, with a hint of lemon, then comes to the fore, becoming more pronounced in the finish, an excellent marriage of fruit, herb, and toasted grain. Incredibly smooth, drinkable, it also has a fairly oily body with a lively zestiness at the same time. It is simply a wodnerful, characterful, full-bodied lager. (730 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +32.4%

As a brewer with a particular appreciation for decoction brewed Czech malt and (zaatec saaz hops) this is the perfect pilsner. More delicate than Urquell and smoother than a good day. There is no end to the easy pleasure that this brew brings. In my estimation, nobody would dislike this beer. It is as complicated as you'll let it be. Simplicity is often the hardest achievable goal to admire. A smooth pour, followed by a very delicate hop aroma. The deep but discernible malt flavors surface while lightly masked by the saaz flavors. A smooth mouthfeel remains behind while reminding you to taste again. This shall be my desire to one day come close to duplicating. Cheers to Budvar! (686 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

color = bronze amber, medium head, thick foam, light carbonation

aroma = hoppy, sweet, pleasant yeasty hints of bread dough

taste = sweet, hoppy but not TOO hoppy. More delicate if poured in comparion to Pilsner Urquell, a delicious Pilsner beer. Smooth mouthfeel, light body. Close to perfection for my taste buds, I've really enjoyed my first taste of this. More, please! (379 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +30.8%

Well, I've drunk this beer served in all manner of ways; bottled, on tap,...but I once drank it from a cask especially set up in the KaDeWe department store in Berlin at a tasting. Being Germany, they didn't give you a piddly ounce in a plastic beaker either, it was a full third of a litre in a tall glass. My girlfriend at the time (who liked her beer) and I were both unprepared for the glorious unity of hops, malt, yeast and water that danced hosannas in our mouths. We both looked each other in our rapidly dilating eyes as we quaffed simply the pilsner they serve in heaven.

If there's anything I remember from this experience that was different from the all other experiences of the beer, it was the glorious freshness of the hops which balanced the sweeter malt and vanilla notes divinely. Sometimes I've found the beer in bottles to be a shade sweet for my taste.

Remember when you're drinking it from a bottle, it's not at its very best, and if you're buying it in the States it's already come a long way and is probably not that fresh. (1,054 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +29.9%

Golden colour, clear, but head does not stick around. Sweet light malty aroma with a slight hint of caramel. Hop aroma a lovely combination of flowers and spiceiness. No fermentation by-products.

Hop flavour hits upfront followed by a light yet rich and complex malt profile again including a faint hint of caramel. Malt and hops well in balance, bitterness is present but smooth. Good body and a clean finish, an excellent beer and a premier example of the style. (467 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +29.9%

Ahhh, Budweiser, the real Bud, the real King of Beers. I gotta say, I'm in lust. This is the Dao of beers, it is thin bodied, yet round of mouthfeel; hoppy, yet smooth; grainy, yet crisp. Truly, a magnificently balanced product. Bravo, bravo!!
Accolades aside, this beer is wonderful, but I think I'd rather have a Pilsner Urquell or (perhaps) a Rebel. While the mouthfeel is round, it is just a touch too thin for me. An amazing beer, but it doesn't quite seal the deal for me. On the other hand, I can buy it in Brown bottles, which is a huge weight in its favour.

Tastey, but not transcendental. Like that really hot girl at the bar who looks amazing 'til she opens her mouth. Ahhh well, we can't all be perfect. (720 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

One of the best lagers in the world, a true classic. Looks great, has a fine aroma and delicious taste. Nice on the tap, too, but outside Czech Republic is available mostly in the bottled form. The only problem is that BB beers from the same town of Ceske Budejovice are even better. Heartily recommended! (305 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

The best way to describe this brew is as such: If God had you over for a beer, this is a lot like what he would pull out of his fridge. Like your favorite fizzy yellow beer, but better in every way.

The appearance is outwardly unremarkable, yellow like any other similar beer you would pour into a glass. What sets it apart is the continuous bubbling, like some sort of glorious alcoholic aquarium.

The smell is well-balanced and appetizing, on the malty side but a little grassy and pleasantly skunky in turns.

The taste sets this one apart. Difficult to describe, as nothing is distinct about it. It's just good. Sweet at first and crisp on the end with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel fits, light and refreshing, with those bubbles readily apparent.

Drinkability? Hell, I'm gonna have another one right now.

If you have friends that claim to not care what they're drinking, hand them one of these. They will see the light. (938 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a pilsener glass. It pours a light golden color with three fingers of head. There is lots of chunky lacing left on the glass. The smell is very grassy, with a little bit of malts and hops present. The taste is a little malty at first, with some sweetness to it. A grassy hop bite rounds out the finish, creating beautiful balance. The taste is fairly thick for a pilsener, and sooo crisp and smooth. The drinkability is fantasic, better than almost any other beer, even for the style. This is the lager upon which all other lagers should be judged. I wish all lagers were this good! (607 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +28%

A- Light golden straw that is perfectly clear with a pure white, full head. The most beautiful pilsner in the world.

S- Wheatish, cream corn, very dull white bread hints... smells so clean and pure. Smells light, fresh...

T- Much like the smell, clean and pure, slightly strawy but not in a bad way... slightly grassy. Everything is muted, though. All these flavors are there, but not in your face. there's simply nothing bad to say about this beer. It's accesible and delicious.

M- Smooth, clean, light, crisp, bubbly.

D- You could slam 30 of these. But it would be a sad waste of a wonderful beer. (612 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%

Beautiful golden beer. Transparent. Fantastic lacing. Moderate retention ability.
The smell hits you as soon as you open the bottle. Definitely a pilsner. Has a powerful Saaz hops smell.
Tastes excellent. I really wasn't expecting much out of this beer. It is very grassy/earthy. Has a nice hop character. A fantastic czech pilsner.
Mouthfeel is clean and much thicker than you'd expect on visual expectation. Medium to just a little full in body. Dry.
Very drinkable. A great beer for any time of the year and a nice one to explore pilsners with. (551 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

Crystal clear gold in color, head is limited to a few splotches of tiny bubbles, almost non-existant, though. Smell is a mix of grassy malty, yeast and breadiness. Taste is light and crisp, nothing skunky or overly grassy. Turns out to be a very good balance of the flavors that are usually overdone in a euro lager. If this was the origins of Budweiser, then I miss it and want it back badly.
note: I came back and upped this beer's scores due to my appreciation of what they brought to the style, a style which I have been unimpressed with so far. (550 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

I had it on-tap in at a bar in Oslo. They had many imported beers mostly from Europe but, also a few American micro-brews. Since, I live in Costa Rica I don't get a chance to try different beers so it was nice to have something new.

It was served in a pint glass and had a one finger head which wasn't impressive. I didn't look when it was poured since, I was talking to a friend and the bartender was pouring a few beers so I didn't really get a chance to see it's true head. Of course, the appearance wasn't anything special but, I is a little more of an amber color than most pilseners.

The nose wasn't strong but, clean like the taste. The most prominent taste was that of hops and a less prominent taste of malt and floral flavor. It wasn't bitter at all, it's one of those beers that make you want to take another sip. Also, it was more on the thin side but, not completely. I would recommend this beer. I didn't have another one because, I wanted to try Mack, a Norwegian beer which is brewed in the northern-most brewery in the world. (1,045 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +25.8%

Review of the domestic Czech version

From notes, 8/22/2010

Got a pint from a tap in a sausage vendor's lunch stall downtown in Prague.

Appearance: Brilliant;y clear bright yellow/gold. Fluffly head that left lace all the way down. Which didn't take long...

Smell: Very faint malty smell, just a hint of saaz.

Taste: Light malt sweetness is balanced early by a citrusy saaz flavor. Delicate bitterness really balances the malt in just the right way.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation to help the citrusy notes burst through the malt and give the brew an overall creamy texture.

Overall: How in the hell can A.B. say they have the same recipe? This lager is crisp, flavorful, and drinkable. A perfect companion for my sausage and sauerkraut lunch on a mild Czech summer day. This will probably be the brew by which I will judge all other pilsners. (867 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.5%

You know this not your average Eurolager when you get a whiff of the fantastic hop nose. So often we get hung up on Imperial this and Seasonal that when some the most sublime pleasures in beer drinking come from world class lagers such as Czechvar.

The taste is beautifully balanced with just the right finish which makes me want another bottle. I've had drier lagers and breadier tasting lagers but this must be considered an archetype for all Pilsners along with Urquell. (476 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%

I had this a few times on tap in CZ. wish this was more widely availible in Prauge. Superior white fluffy head with matly biscuity aromas giving away to fruits & the maltiness hits you! Way too drinkable, hops balance great with the ample body.

I wish AB would make something that could be a pimple on the ass of this beer! (327 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Well... the real name id the beer is Budweiser Budvar.
Colour is golden yellow, beer has a thick head and rich beer aroma with an active hint of hops. Taste is very "noble", malty, slightly sweet with weak hops bitterness; body is strong.
BB is just a "perfect" beer. (269 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Serving type - 16.9 fl oz (1/2 liter) bottle.

Appearance - A dark golden, almost amber beer with visible carbonation.

Smell - A delightful hop aroma with a bit of that Pilsener "skunkiness".

Taste - Moderately hoppy, but well balanced by malts. Crisp, and refreshing. The skunk aroma doesn't make it's way into the actual flavor of the beer so much.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light - Medium body. Crisp, yet smooth. What a Pilsener should be like.

Drinkability - Pretty good. Definitely sessionable, but not a slammer (This beer is too good for that anyway).

Overall - By far, my favorite Czech Pilsener. Now if only the American Budweiser was like this. I'd be drinking it all the time. A great, and inexpensive beer. (718 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

11-21-2010 - bottle

A - Pours Orange Golden with a mild retaining finger and a half thick milky head and nice active effervescence (4)

S - Fresh notes of grassy, aromatic hops with a clear malt backing (4)

T - Uniquely refreshing entry breaking into aromatic hops; the malts then sneak in, increasing in intensity towards the finish where the hop aromas return with a clean, crisp and mildly bitter finish and a light dash of malt sweetness. Immensely smooth, refreshing and aromatic tasting for a lager (4.5)

M - Light-bodied mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation tinge and a sense of foamy smoothness and slight dryness. (5)

D - Extremely good drinkability due to well-balanced, uniquely refreshing, aromatic, clean, crisp and smooth nature. Definitely a class of its own and a top lager that's brewed close to perfection for the style. (5)

---

07-25-2007 - bottle

I bought this off the counter from Brauhaus when I accidentally travelled to Novena whilst going
in the wrong direction. I bought this together with my bottle of Westmalle Dubbel. It has the
same freshness date for 4 October 2007 as my first Budvar which I shared with Paul in Brauhaus
premises. The Budvar is definitely one unique lager. It pours out bright orange golden with a
medium head and minimal retention. Lot's of carbonation is also visible through the walls of the
small and slender Budvar glass. The Budvar has a pretty strong smell of malts and a light and
subtle hints of hops and sweetness. It tastes is mainly malt; it has a really strong malt
character and the start was rather malty and this tastes soothens down and the hops and citrus
sweetness start to peak out from within the taste, subtlely. The taste was not outright strong
or like most lagers tangy or stingy in some way; it is crafted with immaculate balance seemingly
to exemplify the good tastes and removing the not-so-good aspects which other lagers exhibit.
All in all the taste is very well crafted to pefection and that's the first unique selling point
of the Budvar. The after taste started with a "soothingly strong" maltiness which lingers and
gradually fades off to reveal some citrus and grape sweetness. The mouthfeel was the second
unique selling point that is noteworthy. The body of the Budvar was around medium or between
thin and medium; the carbonation goes strong but surprisingly I do not feel it; instead this
carbonation seem to have "collaborated" with the close to medium body thickness to create a
really good mouth feel. Usually for a carbonation of this level I would have already commented
that carbonation is on the high side. The smoothness was simply heavenly; smoother than any
other beers I have had and it is the kind of before-you-know-it-is-down-your-throat kind of
smoothness. Amidst this smoothness, the Budvar carries a nice refreshing finish. Again a brew
that I would used the word perfection for. It remains my favourite lager to date; I would like
to try this on tap one day. (2,993 characters)

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.