Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,316 | Reviews: 760
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ahhhh. The "REAL" Budweiser at last! What a shame that the American giant won a lawsuit and stole the name from the very beer that they were trying to copy 100 years ago!

A - Golden-orange tea hued brew with a rolling three finger head of puffy white foam. This rough-looking head eventually recedes to a thin cap, and then down to a haze, and then even that disappears entirely....not even a haze is left. . A good swirl brings up nothing, not even a bubble.

S - Musky cologne-like scent. Reminds me of old guys who wear too much aftershave....Old Spice to be exact. Floral saaz hops are really out front, with some saltine craker malts behind. Springy, spicy, peppery, grassy, hay-like, and very floral. Pretty damn complex!

T - Way more mellow and less hoppy than I was expecting based on the nose. Hugely malty when compared to German pilseners (which I am more familiar with). I usually describe some saltine cracker flavors in a German pils, but this is less saltine cracker and more thick whole wheat Triscut. I was expecting this to be a lighter beer, but this is really flavorful and thick! Really spicy and peppery. What do saaz hops taste like? Well here ya go....saaz all up in your face!

M - Really full and chewy. Low level carbonation. Creamy and thick. Sort of reminds me of the way a high gravity malt liquor feels...it just tastes way better, but the feel is the same.

D - I don't know if I could session this. It's really good, but wow is it thick! For some reason, the thickness and lighter pils flavors don't seem to go together in my mind. Thick is good for a big black ale, but I like my pilseners a little more on the crisp side.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich gold/brown color with a small head. There is a slightly hopy aroma. This beer has a rich pilsener flavor with a somewhat bitter aftertaste. Feels good in the mouth and goes down fairly well. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Went with the can instead of the bottle as with most imports, to avoid reviewing light-stricken skunky stuff. Never had this beer before, even though it's everywhere.

Pours a bright golden-yellow colour, topped with a half-finger of fizzy white head that dissipates within 60 seconds. Carbonation level looks lower than most euro lagers. Smell is clean but pretty uninteresting; grassy hops and grainy malts.

Taste is of grainy malts, a bit sweet, some tart apple acidity with an echo of crisp noble hops in the finish. Clean finish with no lingering aftertaste. Thin mouthfeel, light-bodied with good carbonation for the style.

I kind of regret not trying this until now. A respectable Czech pilsener, not quite special enough to warrant seeking out, but worth a try nonetheless.

[Updated Oct. 29 2013]

Can dated 09/05/2013. This isn't the first time I've had a can of this since my last review, but I figured I'd comment on it again now that I've sampled it on more than a few occasions. Budvar is not a bad pilsener, and it blows American Bud out of the water, but it lacks the aggressive grassy/spicy hops I crave from this style. This is a very plain, polite sort of pils - well-brewed and very easy to drink in large quantities. Certainly much tastier than most of the 'big name' Euro lagers, especially stuff like Stella or Carlsberg. I still prefer Pilsner Urquell, but this is a worthy lager in its own right that I'll continue to pick up once in a while.

Final Grade: 3.58, a B.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into glass mug

Golden yellow, slight carbonation, thin foamy layer atop the beer. Slight lacings.

Grassy and hoppy aroma.

Light taste of hops, faint bitterness on the start and lingers on the aftertaste.

Light mouthfeel, slight fizz of carbonation.

More substantial than American Budweiser, drinkable but I thought this would be much more. not that there is anything wrong with this beer, just wanted it to be a Classic.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Nice clear golden color with a big frothy white head. Slightly hoppy, clean aroma. Taste is much sharper and crisper than the American copy. Little hoppiness, with very little aftertaste. Enjoyable beer on a hot summer day, definitely a step up from the macro pilseners that I'm used to drinking.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Another example of a vastly superior product when consumed near its source. In my case, it was directly from the unfiltered lagering tank while on a personal tour of the brewery.

The head is an egg shell white with moderate staying power. The liquid is clear and golden colored.

Light hop aroma, but not floral. No grainy smells, just clean malt. The flavor does show some graininess, but the overabundance of carbonation is the real distraction. The body is not solid enough to counterbalance this.

Overall, this is a tasty if not slightly bitter. I noted that it worked well with a duck lunch later in my trip to Prague.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours like an average pils, yellow, fizzy and quick subsiding head with almost no lacing. Smells a little metallic with skunky undertones. Taste is clean, with hints of grain and a subtle hops bitterness, not excessive. quite nice overall. Mouthfeel is good, the aftertaste is minimal. Very drinkable. Overall not a bad example of a Czech Pilsener. Quite Refreshing.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

One of those random reviews I'd been meaning to do for years. Finally getting around to it in an AB airport lounge in St Louis. Luckily this is the import headquarters and this bottle is only about a month old. No complaints here!
Pours a rich gold color. Not too foamy,but a nice white layer on the top.
Pale malts and saaz hops on the nose. No off notes or diacetyl either.
Bready on the front of the palate, slightly bitter in the middle, and the finish returns with a bit more breadiness. A little creamy flavor (trace, but acceptable diacetyl) shows up here and there, but I'd say it's normal for the style.
Simple...but honestly good. Not everything has to be an assault of flavors after all.
A good beer for pretty much any occasion.
A solid Czech import if you can get a fresh bottle (beware - they're green!) or especially if you see it on tap where it truly shines.
I'd love to try it from the source someday.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

This one seems to define "pilsner" for me. I had to try it after hearing how it's the beer that was "stolen" from the Czechs, even though they're probably laughing at us for the fermented rice we so commonly drink.

Golden in color with a loose and airy head. The taste pervaded my nose like few others. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners but this one fits the role pretty well.

Reviewed from Notes

A. Standard light yellow color with good clarity and two fingers of long lasting head, no real lacing, but great retention. (I got bits of foam stuck to my face)
S. Very nice medium levels of grassy and herbal hopping on top of a bright and crisp pilsner malt aroma with minor lemon peel used as a garnish.
T. Comes across exactly with all the features promised by the nose, only with the lemon peel arriving first and the other components coming afterwards. The one thing I feel that I need to nitpick is the lack of peppery / spice hopping usually seen in Czech pilsners. It maintains a refreshing crisp finish throughout the glass.
M. Light bodied without getting too watery in texture, highly carbonated.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I had this beer two ways, this review being for the bottled version. Having drank straight from the bottle (they don't keep fine pilsners to decant your beer into at the basement bar at the Arena Hostel in Prague, but they do have plenty of shot glasses for absinthe), it is hard to rate the beer on appearance, so I gave it the rating of "good" based on how it appeared after having it poured from tap. All, other ratings were given based on my bottle experience. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were that of your standard pils. It reminded me a lot of the Pilsner Urquell I had in Prague from tap. From the bottle, there was nothing special about this beer. On the plus side, great drinkability. I am by no means a heavy drinker. More of a one and done type of guy. But the with the Irish lass and lad buying myself and the gf beers (and the gf handing hers off to me) I drank more than my share of Budvars that night without a problem... at least not until I got to the spiral staircase that led up to the room.

On tap, though, the taste was a a completely different story. The malt was allowed to shine through while the hops balanced off and cleaned up the experience by leaving the kind of crisp aftertaste that you want on a hot day of touring. It was a sensual pleasure.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

Probably like a lot of folks, I tried this because I wanted to try the REAL Budweiser. While it is leaps and bounds better than its American doppelganger, Czechvar is not quite up to par with some of the best Euro lagers. Still, it's a solid brew that I'd be happy to buy again for an afternoon of barbecuing.
It pours a medium gold with a white head that maintains just a wisp of itself. Nice Saaz hops aroma in the nose with a bit of green fruit and grassy grain, and faint creamy malt. This brew is pretty crisp and clean with cereal-like grain and bitter Saaz taking the forefront but the light, sweet malt makes a brief appearance around mid-palate. Traditionally, Bohemian Pilseners are more substantial than their German counterparts but this one seems a tad light to me....like it could use just a little bit more malt. Even so, this is a solid brew good for summer quaffing.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clearly a distinct pilsner. Nice, deep golden color. Smells floral and citrusy, nothing special there. Taste is what sets this beer apart from most other European pilsners/lagers: malty sweetness counterbalanced by citrusy hoppiness finishes with pleasant lingering bitterness. All these characteristics are more pronounced than in most of the other eastern European or German pilsners. Very smooth and drinkable. Admittedly, I had some better craft pilsners, but this is one of the better macro ones and surely one of the better brews available in Sarajevo.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

well,,,i am not sure if this is the s;upposed original of budweiser but,...my label says czechvar. it was pretty damn decent. not great but decent. a nice lager. much better than most all u.s. macro lagers. decent head, decent grain aroma, slight hop twinge, nice refreshing flava. if this is fair...budweiser...czechvar...but = 3,...czech = 7.

that might be why they are trying to crush it...

nuff said

giblet

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer pours a clear straw color with a white head that fizzled away after a minute or two. The aroma was good. Very floral nose on this one. The taste was crisp with with some sweetness. It has some skunk to it but not in a bad "my beer is skunky" kind of way. It could be the nose playing some silly tricks on my taste buds. The mouthfeel is pretty lacking. Light body with low carbonation. It's an average drinking beer. Not bad but it didn't knock my socks off.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Czechvar (as it says on my bottle) pours a crystal clear golden/yellow with lots of bubbles floating to the top. A white head sits on top but goes away quickly.

I first smelled a bit of skunk in this beer, but that quickly faded and revealed a light nose of spicy hops and a bit of caramel. There is lots of caramel up front in the taste, followed by a pop of spicy hops and a light lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is much fuller than I expected. Carbonation is high.

This is a very good pilsner. Definitely much better than its American namesake.

Czechvar (AKA Budvar or Budweiser depending where you live),
pours a nice stiff head over clear yellow brew. Carbonation is very
active, and the nose is light barley malt, lager yeast, and a bit of hop
as well. Flavor is that light barley malt balanced out with herbal, slightly
peppery hops. Mouthfeel is light and crisp without being thin, and as
the hop fades in the aftertaste, it is replaced with a nice wheaty cracker
flavor. There's a lot more here than the last time I've had it. I've since
quit smoking, and that's made all the difference. It's a genuine classic,
well worth a try- but do try and get the freshest you can- it's still in green
glass.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

I've heard about this beer for a while. Overall very good, but the big drawback was a little skunk taste probably from the green bottle. I wish I could have had this when I was near the brewery, but I was too young and grandpa was to strict for that. I wish it was a little easier to find. Growing up in the Milwaukee area and living in St. Louis for a while, I am accustomed to lagers. I would rate this right up there with the Millers and Buds. I will drink this again but it was very expensive to have more than one.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a nice clear gold, lots of tight white head forms, laces well on the glass. Smells crisp, malts and mild skunkiness. Taste is sweet and malty, mild bitterness and a dry finish. Finish is spicy as well. Mild skunkiness, medium bodied and with tight carbonation, a better than average beer for a hot day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. Appearance is clear, pale straw-gold with nice effervescence. Nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly without leaving much lacing. The nose is flowery, dry, and herbal.

The beer has a light body and a very clean flavor. Slight maltiness in the front of the palate quickly overtaken by nice, crisp, Bohemian hops. I wish I could try this beer fresh, it must be really something. The finish is pleasantly dry, but doesn't linger very long

Not much else to say about this beer. I never could recognize complexity in this style the way I do in barleywines or stouts. It is refreshing and a nice pour on a warm afternoon. It is comparable to Pilsner Urquell (and perhaps a bit superior these days).

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't help but doing some research into the brand before I sit down and taste. Quite an interesting brand- worth looking into.

Poured from a slightly-too-warm can. Big bouqet of sweet- cakey malts. Carbonation as expected from a lager. Bit of hops sitting in the background.

Taste was sweet, typical of European malts. Relatively full body. Hop finish. As the beer sits, seems to get sweeter.

Overall good beer. Surprising, to be honest. Was expecting a light-macro lager. That's not what I got.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light gold color with a white frothy head. The smell is lightly malty and hoppy. The taste is very rich in malt, but without hops to balance it out. I was expecting more, but was disappointed. Still, not a bad brew, very tasty and light on the palate.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear golden color with a two finger white head that fades almost immediately to the beer with no lace at all. aromas of faint hops. bready malt with a slight metallic hop finish. light crisp dry mouthfeel and good carbonation. something new to try but i don't think i'll buy again have had much better.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.