Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I've heard about this beer for a while. Overall very good, but the big drawback was a little skunk taste probably from the green bottle. I wish I could have had this when I was near the brewery, but I was too young and grandpa was to strict for that. I wish it was a little easier to find. Growing up in the Milwaukee area and living in St. Louis for a while, I am accustomed to lagers. I would rate this right up there with the Millers and Buds. I will drink this again but it was very expensive to have more than one.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a nice clear gold, lots of tight white head forms, laces well on the glass. Smells crisp, malts and mild skunkiness. Taste is sweet and malty, mild bitterness and a dry finish. Finish is spicy as well. Mild skunkiness, medium bodied and with tight carbonation, a better than average beer for a hot day.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

One of those random reviews I'd been meaning to do for years. Finally getting around to it in an AB airport lounge in St Louis. Luckily this is the import headquarters and this bottle is only about a month old. No complaints here!
Pours a rich gold color. Not too foamy,but a nice white layer on the top.
Pale malts and saaz hops on the nose. No off notes or diacetyl either.
Bready on the front of the palate, slightly bitter in the middle, and the finish returns with a bit more breadiness. A little creamy flavor (trace, but acceptable diacetyl) shows up here and there, but I'd say it's normal for the style.
Simple...but honestly good. Not everything has to be an assault of flavors after all.
A good beer for pretty much any occasion.
A solid Czech import if you can get a fresh bottle (beware - they're green!) or especially if you see it on tap where it truly shines.
I'd love to try it from the source someday.

Reviewed from Notes

A. Standard light yellow color with good clarity and two fingers of long lasting head, no real lacing, but great retention. (I got bits of foam stuck to my face)
S. Very nice medium levels of grassy and herbal hopping on top of a bright and crisp pilsner malt aroma with minor lemon peel used as a garnish.
T. Comes across exactly with all the features promised by the nose, only with the lemon peel arriving first and the other components coming afterwards. The one thing I feel that I need to nitpick is the lack of peppery / spice hopping usually seen in Czech pilsners. It maintains a refreshing crisp finish throughout the glass.
M. Light bodied without getting too watery in texture, highly carbonated.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

well,,,i am not sure if this is the s;upposed original of budweiser but,...my label says czechvar. it was pretty damn decent. not great but decent. a nice lager. much better than most all u.s. macro lagers. decent head, decent grain aroma, slight hop twinge, nice refreshing flava. if this is fair...budweiser...czechvar...but = 3,...czech = 7.

that might be why they are trying to crush it...

nuff said

giblet

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: A strong gold, nearly apple juice like color. Nice head to start and settles to a simply line. Constant bubbling towards the top makes it more appealing and promising.

Smell: Crisp hop aroma. A little light than I expected, but not bad. Just a hint of malt, but very much in the background. One has to look for it to find it.

Taste: Surprisingly watery at first. Not overly bitter. The hops work with the rest of the beer, instead of battling the malt. This is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: I expected a little more pop than I got. Not lively at all upon the tongue.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer. Not quite a good one. Almost good. A little above average I think, but only by a hair.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had this as Czechvar and it looked interesting at the store. It was a nice brilliant gold color with a white head that fizzle away rather quickly. Smell was not to terribly exciting. Taste was quite surprisingly good.

I enjoyed this beer. It's something I would drink on a hot summer day while sitting outside with friends.

Correction -- it's not exactly "by" budweiser as in anheuser-busch. Thanks to tai4ji2x

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into glass mug

Golden yellow, slight carbonation, thin foamy layer atop the beer. Slight lacings.

Grassy and hoppy aroma.

Light taste of hops, faint bitterness on the start and lingers on the aftertaste.

Light mouthfeel, slight fizz of carbonation.

More substantial than American Budweiser, drinkable but I thought this would be much more. not that there is anything wrong with this beer, just wanted it to be a Classic.

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. Appearance is clear, pale straw-gold with nice effervescence. Nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly without leaving much lacing. The nose is flowery, dry, and herbal.

The beer has a light body and a very clean flavor. Slight maltiness in the front of the palate quickly overtaken by nice, crisp, Bohemian hops. I wish I could try this beer fresh, it must be really something. The finish is pleasantly dry, but doesn't linger very long

Not much else to say about this beer. I never could recognize complexity in this style the way I do in barleywines or stouts. It is refreshing and a nice pour on a warm afternoon. It is comparable to Pilsner Urquell (and perhaps a bit superior these days).

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear golden color with a two finger white head that fades almost immediately to the beer with no lace at all. aromas of faint hops. bready malt with a slight metallic hop finish. light crisp dry mouthfeel and good carbonation. something new to try but i don't think i'll buy again have had much better.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Actually had this beer in the US as "Czechvar". According to Michael Jackson, this was actually the original Budweiser (which I don't care for). However, this original Czech version is not as grainy or strong tasting as Bud, but is tempered with the flavor of some of the lighter Europeans like Urquell. Pilsnar is not my favorite style, but this is not a bad beer, especially served cold.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

As the American verision of the Czech Republic's Budvar, I found this very disappointing. I have heard Budvar touted as "the best beer in the world", and though I have not tried a true, on-tap Budvar, I found this beer to be rather mediocre.

Aroma is well pronounced and fruity.

Beer pours a light straw color, very clear, with a white head composed of small bubbles that fades as expedted.

Tastes very light as expected. Would likely be an excellent beer to drink outside in summer.

Mouthfeel is also light.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer pours a clear straw color with a white head that fizzled away after a minute or two. The aroma was good. Very floral nose on this one. The taste was crisp with with some sweetness. It has some skunk to it but not in a bad "my beer is skunky" kind of way. It could be the nose playing some silly tricks on my taste buds. The mouthfeel is pretty lacking. Light body with low carbonation. It's an average drinking beer. Not bad but it didn't knock my socks off.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap in Prague on some random place with outdoor seating.

Decent 2 finger head.

Served in .5 liter glass. Straw color, some carbonation. Very little aroma, maybe some hops.

Taste wasnt too bad, nothing outstanding. Absolutely better than the Bud in the states. Theres some hop presence and its easy to drink. If this were available as is in the states I would use this as a gateway dru.. uh beer to better styles.

I feel like the alcohol percentage was higher, I dont normally get loopy after a half pint of 5% beer, and I ate at the same time, maybe dehydrated.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Medium-sized, coarse, foamy, white head on top of clear, full gold beer. Tonsa carbo. Nice. Huge schpoonck in the nose: also nice. Like old-time beer. A sourish front gives way to a fruity middle. Sweetens in the finish with corn and toast. Turns suddenly quite bitter. I like this. It's quite fruity and toasty-grainsy. Plenty of taste.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

This one pours a very transparent pale golden yellow color without much head that falls to not even cover the beer. There is a steady stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of this one. The nose is light and sweet malts, without much hop to speak of. I would have liked a hint of bitter in there. The flavor is sweet to start, with a bit of a hop finish. I would still like a bit more hop on this one. This beer is fairly thin without much substance to it, but that is expected. I could see drinking a few of these on a summer day. Its good but just not my style. Lagers and I don't get along well.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a very refreshing beer. Pours out slightly darker than its American counterart, with decent lacing on the glass. Malt and hops are both present, with a nice twang (not bitter) of hops on the finish. A very nice Pils. I like this better than Pilsner Urquell and its not expensive either.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle with a Czechvar label into one of my Pilsner glasses. Clear DEEP gold color with tons of visible carbonation. A 2 finger foamy head appeared on the scene but then just as quickly vanished. Not a great deal of lacing to speak of.

Aroma was sweet, yeasty. I was interested in that it smelled different than most pilsners. Not bad, just different.

The taste was more sweet than I had anticipated. There was a nice grain like flavor that was more dough like vs. bread. Subtle hop bite and lingering effect.

Mouth feel was bright and bubbly but also slightly sticky due to the sweetness.

This is a pretty good beer, but I have plenty of pilsners that I would rate higher.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

I had this beer two ways, this review being for the bottled version. Having drank straight from the bottle (they don't keep fine pilsners to decant your beer into at the basement bar at the Arena Hostel in Prague, but they do have plenty of shot glasses for absinthe), it is hard to rate the beer on appearance, so I gave it the rating of "good" based on how it appeared after having it poured from tap. All, other ratings were given based on my bottle experience. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were that of your standard pils. It reminded me a lot of the Pilsner Urquell I had in Prague from tap. From the bottle, there was nothing special about this beer. On the plus side, great drinkability. I am by no means a heavy drinker. More of a one and done type of guy. But the with the Irish lass and lad buying myself and the gf beers (and the gf handing hers off to me) I drank more than my share of Budvars that night without a problem... at least not until I got to the spiral staircase that led up to the room.

On tap, though, the taste was a a completely different story. The malt was allowed to shine through while the hops balanced off and cleaned up the experience by leaving the kind of crisp aftertaste that you want on a hot day of touring. It was a sensual pleasure.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a dark amber with a small head white head that quickly leaves. Not all that impressed. Very transparent with some carbonation popping up sporadically.

S - Initial smell was...urine. After a few more wiffs I got more of a grassy smell that wasn't quite appealing, but definitely not revolting.

T - Taste is surprisingly strong. Very sweet and malty. Hops come through too, but I had to look for it a little more than I did the sweetness. Nice, refreshing, grassy taste that isn't too strong.

MF - The carbonation in this beer really stands out. Gives the taste a nice edge but doesn't quite do so well for the mouthfeel.

D - This beer feels light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely sessionable.

3.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't help but doing some research into the brand before I sit down and taste. Quite an interesting brand- worth looking into.

Poured from a slightly-too-warm can. Big bouqet of sweet- cakey malts. Carbonation as expected from a lager. Bit of hops sitting in the background.

Taste was sweet, typical of European malts. Relatively full body. Hop finish. As the beer sits, seems to get sweeter.

Overall good beer. Surprising, to be honest. Was expecting a light-macro lager. That's not what I got.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 330mL green glass bottle into my generic pilsner glass. Best Before October 16th, 2010.

Very active carbonation generates nearly three fingers of ivory foam which is dense yet merengue like, cresting the top of the glass like a derby hat. Good retention, adequate sandy lacing. Superior clarity shows off the maddening rush of bubbles racing to the surface. Light golden maize body.

Faint grainy aromatics with a touch of old dried flowers. Crackers...green apple skins, not much else.

Pale lager malt, a little brown rice, and winter fruit on the palate. The water vs. flavor elements don't coincide well - you get a taste of water, then a concentrated hit of lager notes. Low hop bitterness.

Light-bodied, well carbonated, though there is a hint of slickness.

Refreshing and crisp, though somewhat mediocre for the style, but better than many Euro lagers; I'd love to try this in the can for comparison...

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a crystal clear gold with a fast vanishing white head. Practically no lacing.

The aroma is biscuity malts and skunk. I really dislike green bottles for this very reason. There's too much skunk going on.

The flavor fairs a little better than the smell. The pale, biscuity malts play well enough with some grassy hops. I guess I just prefer a German pils to a Czech pils, as I haven't really found a Czech that lights me up.

Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with ample carbonation given the style. It finishes nice and dry.

I could drink quite a few of these, but it's just nothing special. When I need a pils fix, I'll stick with the German options.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.