Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Another example of a vastly superior product when consumed near its source. In my case, it was directly from the unfiltered lagering tank while on a personal tour of the brewery.

The head is an egg shell white with moderate staying power. The liquid is clear and golden colored.

Light hop aroma, but not floral. No grainy smells, just clean malt. The flavor does show some graininess, but the overabundance of carbonation is the real distraction. The body is not solid enough to counterbalance this.

Overall, this is a tasty if not slightly bitter. I noted that it worked well with a duck lunch later in my trip to Prague.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours like an average pils, yellow, fizzy and quick subsiding head with almost no lacing. Smells a little metallic with skunky undertones. Taste is clean, with hints of grain and a subtle hops bitterness, not excessive. quite nice overall. Mouthfeel is good, the aftertaste is minimal. Very drinkable. Overall not a bad example of a Czech Pilsener. Quite Refreshing.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

One of those random reviews I'd been meaning to do for years. Finally getting around to it in an AB airport lounge in St Louis. Luckily this is the import headquarters and this bottle is only about a month old. No complaints here!
Pours a rich gold color. Not too foamy,but a nice white layer on the top.
Pale malts and saaz hops on the nose. No off notes or diacetyl either.
Bready on the front of the palate, slightly bitter in the middle, and the finish returns with a bit more breadiness. A little creamy flavor (trace, but acceptable diacetyl) shows up here and there, but I'd say it's normal for the style.
Simple...but honestly good. Not everything has to be an assault of flavors after all.
A good beer for pretty much any occasion.
A solid Czech import if you can get a fresh bottle (beware - they're green!) or especially if you see it on tap where it truly shines.
I'd love to try it from the source someday.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

This one seems to define "pilsner" for me. I had to try it after hearing how it's the beer that was "stolen" from the Czechs, even though they're probably laughing at us for the fermented rice we so commonly drink.

Golden in color with a loose and airy head. The taste pervaded my nose like few others. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners but this one fits the role pretty well.

Reviewed from Notes

A. Standard light yellow color with good clarity and two fingers of long lasting head, no real lacing, but great retention. (I got bits of foam stuck to my face)
S. Very nice medium levels of grassy and herbal hopping on top of a bright and crisp pilsner malt aroma with minor lemon peel used as a garnish.
T. Comes across exactly with all the features promised by the nose, only with the lemon peel arriving first and the other components coming afterwards. The one thing I feel that I need to nitpick is the lack of peppery / spice hopping usually seen in Czech pilsners. It maintains a refreshing crisp finish throughout the glass.
M. Light bodied without getting too watery in texture, highly carbonated.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I had this beer two ways, this review being for the bottled version. Having drank straight from the bottle (they don't keep fine pilsners to decant your beer into at the basement bar at the Arena Hostel in Prague, but they do have plenty of shot glasses for absinthe), it is hard to rate the beer on appearance, so I gave it the rating of "good" based on how it appeared after having it poured from tap. All, other ratings were given based on my bottle experience. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were that of your standard pils. It reminded me a lot of the Pilsner Urquell I had in Prague from tap. From the bottle, there was nothing special about this beer. On the plus side, great drinkability. I am by no means a heavy drinker. More of a one and done type of guy. But the with the Irish lass and lad buying myself and the gf beers (and the gf handing hers off to me) I drank more than my share of Budvars that night without a problem... at least not until I got to the spiral staircase that led up to the room.

On tap, though, the taste was a a completely different story. The malt was allowed to shine through while the hops balanced off and cleaned up the experience by leaving the kind of crisp aftertaste that you want on a hot day of touring. It was a sensual pleasure.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

Probably like a lot of folks, I tried this because I wanted to try the REAL Budweiser. While it is leaps and bounds better than its American doppelganger, Czechvar is not quite up to par with some of the best Euro lagers. Still, it's a solid brew that I'd be happy to buy again for an afternoon of barbecuing.
It pours a medium gold with a white head that maintains just a wisp of itself. Nice Saaz hops aroma in the nose with a bit of green fruit and grassy grain, and faint creamy malt. This brew is pretty crisp and clean with cereal-like grain and bitter Saaz taking the forefront but the light, sweet malt makes a brief appearance around mid-palate. Traditionally, Bohemian Pilseners are more substantial than their German counterparts but this one seems a tad light to me....like it could use just a little bit more malt. Even so, this is a solid brew good for summer quaffing.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clearly a distinct pilsner. Nice, deep golden color. Smells floral and citrusy, nothing special there. Taste is what sets this beer apart from most other European pilsners/lagers: malty sweetness counterbalanced by citrusy hoppiness finishes with pleasant lingering bitterness. All these characteristics are more pronounced than in most of the other eastern European or German pilsners. Very smooth and drinkable. Admittedly, I had some better craft pilsners, but this is one of the better macro ones and surely one of the better brews available in Sarajevo.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

well,,,i am not sure if this is the s;upposed original of budweiser but,...my label says czechvar. it was pretty damn decent. not great but decent. a nice lager. much better than most all u.s. macro lagers. decent head, decent grain aroma, slight hop twinge, nice refreshing flava. if this is fair...budweiser...czechvar...but = 3,...czech = 7.

that might be why they are trying to crush it...

nuff said

giblet

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer pours a clear straw color with a white head that fizzled away after a minute or two. The aroma was good. Very floral nose on this one. The taste was crisp with with some sweetness. It has some skunk to it but not in a bad "my beer is skunky" kind of way. It could be the nose playing some silly tricks on my taste buds. The mouthfeel is pretty lacking. Light body with low carbonation. It's an average drinking beer. Not bad but it didn't knock my socks off.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Czechvar (as it says on my bottle) pours a crystal clear golden/yellow with lots of bubbles floating to the top. A white head sits on top but goes away quickly.

I first smelled a bit of skunk in this beer, but that quickly faded and revealed a light nose of spicy hops and a bit of caramel. There is lots of caramel up front in the taste, followed by a pop of spicy hops and a light lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is much fuller than I expected. Carbonation is high.

This is a very good pilsner. Definitely much better than its American namesake.

Czechvar (AKA Budvar or Budweiser depending where you live),
pours a nice stiff head over clear yellow brew. Carbonation is very
active, and the nose is light barley malt, lager yeast, and a bit of hop
as well. Flavor is that light barley malt balanced out with herbal, slightly
peppery hops. Mouthfeel is light and crisp without being thin, and as
the hop fades in the aftertaste, it is replaced with a nice wheaty cracker
flavor. There's a lot more here than the last time I've had it. I've since
quit smoking, and that's made all the difference. It's a genuine classic,
well worth a try- but do try and get the freshest you can- it's still in green
glass.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

I've heard about this beer for a while. Overall very good, but the big drawback was a little skunk taste probably from the green bottle. I wish I could have had this when I was near the brewery, but I was too young and grandpa was to strict for that. I wish it was a little easier to find. Growing up in the Milwaukee area and living in St. Louis for a while, I am accustomed to lagers. I would rate this right up there with the Millers and Buds. I will drink this again but it was very expensive to have more than one.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a nice clear gold, lots of tight white head forms, laces well on the glass. Smells crisp, malts and mild skunkiness. Taste is sweet and malty, mild bitterness and a dry finish. Finish is spicy as well. Mild skunkiness, medium bodied and with tight carbonation, a better than average beer for a hot day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. Appearance is clear, pale straw-gold with nice effervescence. Nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly without leaving much lacing. The nose is flowery, dry, and herbal.

The beer has a light body and a very clean flavor. Slight maltiness in the front of the palate quickly overtaken by nice, crisp, Bohemian hops. I wish I could try this beer fresh, it must be really something. The finish is pleasantly dry, but doesn't linger very long

Not much else to say about this beer. I never could recognize complexity in this style the way I do in barleywines or stouts. It is refreshing and a nice pour on a warm afternoon. It is comparable to Pilsner Urquell (and perhaps a bit superior these days).

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't help but doing some research into the brand before I sit down and taste. Quite an interesting brand- worth looking into.

Poured from a slightly-too-warm can. Big bouqet of sweet- cakey malts. Carbonation as expected from a lager. Bit of hops sitting in the background.

Taste was sweet, typical of European malts. Relatively full body. Hop finish. As the beer sits, seems to get sweeter.

Overall good beer. Surprising, to be honest. Was expecting a light-macro lager. That's not what I got.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light gold color with a white frothy head. The smell is lightly malty and hoppy. The taste is very rich in malt, but without hops to balance it out. I was expecting more, but was disappointed. Still, not a bad brew, very tasty and light on the palate.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear golden color with a two finger white head that fades almost immediately to the beer with no lace at all. aromas of faint hops. bready malt with a slight metallic hop finish. light crisp dry mouthfeel and good carbonation. something new to try but i don't think i'll buy again have had much better.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Actually had this beer in the US as "Czechvar". According to Michael Jackson, this was actually the original Budweiser (which I don't care for). However, this original Czech version is not as grainy or strong tasting as Bud, but is tempered with the flavor of some of the lighter Europeans like Urquell. Pilsnar is not my favorite style, but this is not a bad beer, especially served cold.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap in Prague on some random place with outdoor seating.

Decent 2 finger head.

Served in .5 liter glass. Straw color, some carbonation. Very little aroma, maybe some hops.

Taste wasnt too bad, nothing outstanding. Absolutely better than the Bud in the states. Theres some hop presence and its easy to drink. If this were available as is in the states I would use this as a gateway dru.. uh beer to better styles.

I feel like the alcohol percentage was higher, I dont normally get loopy after a half pint of 5% beer, and I ate at the same time, maybe dehydrated.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Medium-sized, coarse, foamy, white head on top of clear, full gold beer. Tonsa carbo. Nice. Huge schpoonck in the nose: also nice. Like old-time beer. A sourish front gives way to a fruity middle. Sweetens in the finish with corn and toast. Turns suddenly quite bitter. I like this. It's quite fruity and toasty-grainsy. Plenty of taste.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This one pours a very transparent pale golden yellow color without much head that falls to not even cover the beer. There is a steady stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of this one. The nose is light and sweet malts, without much hop to speak of. I would have liked a hint of bitter in there. The flavor is sweet to start, with a bit of a hop finish. I would still like a bit more hop on this one. This beer is fairly thin without much substance to it, but that is expected. I could see drinking a few of these on a summer day. Its good but just not my style. Lagers and I don't get along well.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

DO NOT SMELL THIS BEER OUTTA BOTTLE! Poured into a pilsner. a light dandelion yellow color. not too bubbly.
Has a lemony smell. I got a huge hit of skunk from the bottle, but was directed not to judge it until it poured into a glass. VERY right. you can also smell a nice hopness to it.
taste is a lot better then it smells. It has a lemon zing, but a bitter brisk. Very crisp drinking style typical of most lagers.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.